1511: "Spice Girl

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6104
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Jorpho » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:58 am UTC

Image
Title text: "Haha, you'll see!"

Mercy me, I lol'd quite genuinely at this one.

User avatar
neoliminal
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby neoliminal » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:06 am UTC

Tell me what you want, what you really really want...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

User avatar
Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount
Posts: 3035
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Qaanol » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:09 am UTC

What is this three-dimensional devilry?

I mean seriously, Cueball is strapped horizontally to a panel high off the floor, with his feet touching an adjacent wall, his left arm pointing down, and his right arm pointing up, while Megan is slumped awkwardly on the side of her head and shoulders with her legs crumpled against the wall above her, and we’re looking straight down on the whole mess from above!
wee free kings

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 8975
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP
Contact:

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:14 am UTC

Any Spice Girl with a shotgun automatically assumes the title of Scary Spice.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 797
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby da Doctah » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:05 am UTC

Unless she gives you a head start, in which case she's Sporty Spice.

User avatar
Envelope Generator
Posts: 580
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:07 am UTC
Location: pareidolia

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:42 am UTC

"An unmatched left quote creates an unresolved tension that will stay with you the whole day.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

User avatar
glasnt
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 am UTC
Location: SQUEE!

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby glasnt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:50 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Any Spice Girl with a shotgun automatically assumes the title of Scary Spice.


Jorpho wrote:Title text: "Haha, you'll see!"


Scary Spice raps the bridge of Wannabe, so you're totally right. It's Scary.

It's all scary.

Coincidently, I originally thought the lyrics that followed the title text were "Slam your body down, there's bodies all around", not "wind it all around". 2spooky4me.

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3215
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:12 am UTC

glasnt wrote:Coincidently, I originally thought the lyrics that followed the title text were "Slam your body down, there's bodies all around", not "wind it all around". 2spooky4me.

If that is to spooky I advise you not to listen to Drowning Pool or Rammstein lyrics.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5458
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:20 am UTC

I vaguely remember the Spice Girls being a thing that existed when I was in primary school. But I haven't seen "those quiz titles.
I like the idea behind the comic though.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

KarenRei
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby KarenRei » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:23 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I vaguely remember the Spice Girls being a thing that existed when I was in primary school. But I haven't seen "those quiz titles.
I like the idea behind the comic though.


How could you exist as a net-connected citizen on our planet and not have seen them? "What kind of dog are you?", "Which disney princess are you?", etc - there's a million of them (mainly just clickbaiting for bored people with certain particular obsessions to do and share on social media)

They all do make for rather peculiar postapocalyptic situations... ;)

KarenRei
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby KarenRei » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:29 am UTC

The top 10 google hits for "What * are you", excluding duplicates false positives, are:

* What type of pentagram are you?
* What creature are you?
* What crystal are you?
* What animal are you?
* What Pokemon are you?
* Which of the Seven Deadly Sins are you? (strange, it's a "which", but came up as a "what")
* What fruit are you?
* What planet are you?
* What movie Santa are you?
* What dinosaur are you?

Doing the equivalent "which" search we get:

* Which character from Little Miss Sunshine are you?
* Which Belle are you?
* Which smurf are you?
* Which Power Ranger are you?
* Which badass girl from Game of Thrones are you?
* Which Disney princess are you?
* Which superhero are you?
* Which Kardashian are you?
* Which muppet are you?
* Which Avenger are you?

I want to see the one about the post-apocalyptic world ravaged by movie Santas ;) Or maybe the one with man-eating muppets roaming the wastes.

Michael.K
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Michael.K » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:44 am UTC

I'm sorry, but if the question is,
The merciful one, or the one who started this war?
and the answer is,
Haha, you'll see!
I think we can rule out "merciful one."

User avatar
pkcommando
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:22 pm UTC
Location: Allston, MA

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby pkcommando » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:51 am UTC

I once took the 'Which Tori Amos Song Are You?' quiz. The questions were geared somewhat more towards women than men, but I got Hey Jupiter on it, so --- cool! I also once scored Aeryn Sun on the 'Which Farscape Character Are You?' quiz - which seems appropriate...

I would imagine Ginger Spice as being the one responsible for a war, she did work w/ the UN for a time.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

User avatar
svenman
Posts: 437
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:09 pm UTC
Location: 680 km NNE of the Château d'If

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby svenman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:24 am UTC

pkcommando wrote:I would imagine Ginger Spice as being the one responsible for a war, she did work w/ the UN for a time.

I'm still trying to decide who has the bigger image problem with you - Ginger Spice or the UN.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 797
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby da Doctah » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:35 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:The top 10 google hits for "What * are you", excluding duplicates false positives, are:

* What type of pentagram are you?
* What creature are you?
* What crystal are you?
* What animal are you?
* What Pokemon are you?
* Which of the Seven Deadly Sins are you? (strange, it's a "which", but came up as a "what")
* What fruit are you?
* What planet are you?
* What movie Santa are you?
* What dinosaur are you?


I think that's user-dependent. My top ten in order were:

* What Animal Are You?
* What Pokemon Are You?
* What is Your Soul Element? (a YouTube test that includes the text "Up Next: What Warrior Are You?")
* What kind of vampire are you?
* What Kind of Christian Are You?
* What kind of drunk are you?
* What Are You? (the text references "what character are you?" I like to think I'm a pilcrow.)
* What Greek God Are You
* What Movie are you?
* What Anime Personality Are You?

User avatar
PayasYouDraw
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:57 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby PayasYouDraw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:38 am UTC

Is this the Great Girlband War?

I'd be on Girls Aloud's side.
Ah-ooooh! Rolling back the rivers in Time!

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3215
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:41 am UTC

I'd bet on Kittie.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

CharlieP
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:22 am UTC
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby CharlieP » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:21 pm UTC

KarenRei wrote:How could you exist as a net-connected citizen on our planet and not have seen them? "What kind of dog are you?", "Which disney princess are you?", etc - there's a million of them (mainly just clickbaiting for bored people with certain particular obsessions to do and share on social media)


I don't click on any links that claim I won't believe their content.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
zaphodbeebledoc
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:58 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:39 pm UTC

Okay, without looking at any previous replies, ^^^ going by the hairstyle I think that is Sporty in the comic. Is she the merciful one however, or the one who started the war? I think she is merciful and it is between Ginger and Posh as to who started the war... But who with?

This is the line from just before the war! :)

Merciful Spice
War Starter Spice
Merciless Spice
Peaceful Spice
Neutral Spice
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?


GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby orthogon » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:33 pm UTC

Oh me yarm, this one has caused explainxkcd.org to crash!

So, not sure if I fully get this. Is is basically Mood Dissonance (WARNING! TVTROPES) or one of its subtropes? i.e. the use of the trivial, childish or comic in highly serious situations as a kind of irony and/or to emphasise the direness of the characters' plight?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6104
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Jorpho » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:36 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:But I haven't seen "those quiz titles.
The "What Magic the Gathering Color Are You" was pretty ubiquitous in signatures for a long time. Does this look familiar?
whatcolor_isblue.jpg


Eventually I felt compelled to compose my own response.
tempclear.png


Also quite amusing:
I Think Something's Wrong With My Buzzfeed Quiz Results

User avatar
SpitValve
Not a mod.
Posts: 5124
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:51 am UTC
Location: Lower pork village

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby SpitValve » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:50 pm UTC

PayasYouDraw wrote:Is this the Great Girlband War?

I'd be on Girls Aloud's side.


Korea would kick arse in this war, by sheer numbers alone. Some of them even get machine-guns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7_lSP8Vc3o&feature=youtu.be&t=190

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6789
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:01 pm UTC

This comic reminds me of: https://youtu.be/zCnCRj5-bC4
Spoiler:
Remain indoors!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

scharb
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby scharb » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:14 pm UTC

WHICH CHARACTER FROM FRIENDS ARE YOU? CHANDLER THE DECEPTIVE, PHOEBE THE WITCH, ROSS THE COWARDLY, JOEY THE FOOL, RACHEL THE TRAITOR, OR MONICA THE TYRANT?

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Whizbang » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:19 pm UTC

Which postapocalyptic dystopian survivalist are you?

KarenRei
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby KarenRei » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:25 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:I once took the 'Which Tori Amos Song Are You?' quiz. The questions were geared somewhat more towards women than men, but I got Hey Jupiter on it, so --- cool!


In the context of this comic, may I warn you, if you're in a post-apocalyptic world caused by Tori Amos songs come to life, and "Me And A Gun" starts banging on the door, for god's sake don't open it!

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 1751
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby cellocgw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:23 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I'd bet on Kittie.


Maybe a new set of OTTspicegirls:

WolpyGirl
BeeSnakeGirl
BlitzGirlGirl
TreeishGirl
SeaishGirl
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
david.windsor
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby david.windsor » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:25 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:What is this three-dimensional devilry?

I mean seriously, Cueball is strapped horizontally to a panel high off the floor, with his feet touching an adjacent wall, his left arm pointing down, and his right arm pointing up, while Megan is slumped awkwardly on the side of her head and shoulders with her legs crumpled against the wall above her, and we’re looking straight down on the whole mess from above!


No, down is toward the enemy.
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby orthogon » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:51 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I'd bet on Kittie.


Maybe a new set of OTTspicegirls:

WolpyGirl
BeeSnakeGirl
BlitzGirlGirl
TreeishGirl
SeaishGirl

s/Girl$/Spice/
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Keyman
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:56 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Keyman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:51 pm UTC

david.windsor wrote:
Qaanol wrote:What is this three-dimensional devilry?

I mean seriously, Cueball is strapped horizontally to a panel high off the floor, with his feet touching an adjacent wall, his left arm pointing down, and his right arm pointing up, while Megan is slumped awkwardly on the side of her head and shoulders with her legs crumpled against the wall above her, and we’re looking straight down on the whole mess from above!


No, down is toward the enemy.

+1
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

nightpool
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby nightpool » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:52 pm UTC

Interesting in that these aren't more well known, especially because lately most of the quizzes I've seen have been riffing in a meta way on the concept itself. Both "Which of my Garbage Sons Are You" and "Are you a Big Jazz Boy or a Little Jazz Boy" are pretty popular memes on Tumblr.

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 1751
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby cellocgw » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:20 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:
david.windsor wrote:
Qaanol wrote:What is this three-dimensional devilry?

I mean seriously, Cueball is strapped horizontally to a panel high off the floor, with his feet touching an adjacent wall, his left arm pointing down, and his right arm pointing up, while Megan is slumped awkwardly on the side of her head and shoulders with her legs crumpled against the wall above her, and we’re looking straight down on the whole mess from above!


No, down is toward the enemy.

+1

Oh bugger :twisted: you beat me to the upvote!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
Jackpot777
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:36 pm UTC

Image

Baby and Ginger are calling in an air strike.

Image

None were merciful.

RogueCynic
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:14 am UTC

Is there a "Which Dilbert character are you?" quiz? I can submit a picture of a former boss who would win the PHB title.When is the "Which XKCD character are you?" quiz coming out?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3215
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:06 am UTC

As soon as you make it. Or actually a bit later, when you post it.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
PayasYouDraw
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:57 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby PayasYouDraw » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:20 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:
PayasYouDraw wrote:Is this the Great Girlband War?

I'd be on Girls Aloud's side.


Korea would kick arse in this war, by sheer numbers alone. Some of them even get machine-guns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7_lSP8Vc3o&feature=youtu.be&t=190


But we have FTL space orbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGkpoGZOzpo
Ah-ooooh! Rolling back the rivers in Time!

Michael.K
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Michael.K » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:22 am UTC

scharb wrote:WHICH CHARACTER FROM FRIENDS ARE YOU? CHANDLER THE DECEPTIVE, PHOEBE THE WITCH, ROSS THE COWARDLY, JOEY THE FOOL, RACHEL THE TRAITOR, OR MONICA THE TYRANT?

Is that from the Friends tarot deck?

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5458
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:42 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I vaguely remember the Spice Girls being a thing that existed when I was in primary school. But I haven't seen "those quiz titles.
I like the idea behind the comic though.


How could you exist as a net-connected citizen on our planet and not have seen them? "What kind of dog are you?", "Which disney princess are you?", etc - there's a million of them (mainly just clickbaiting for bored people with certain particular obsessions to do and share on social media)

They all do make for rather peculiar postapocalyptic situations... ;)

Oh, those! When I saw the word 'quiz' I was thinking of a quiz show. Those things I think of more as surveys.
Jorpho wrote:Eventually I felt compelled to compose my own response.
Image
You are likely to have an affinity for artifacts, or metalworking.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
Copper Bezel
Posts: 2416
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:35 am UTC
Location: Web exclusive!

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:22 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Jorpho wrote:Eventually I felt compelled to compose my own response.
Image
You are likely to have an affinity for artifacts, or metalworking.

+1!
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2652
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1511: "Spice Girl

Postby orthogon » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:19 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:Scary Spice raps the bridge of Wannabe, so you're totally right. It's Scary.

Strikes me that Wannabe would be a good candidate for Just a Minim. I'll start us off:

I'll tell you what I want, that which I really, truly desire,
[NB I think we'll have to allow repetition of really common words like "I"]
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ggh and 65 guests