1512:"Horoscopes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dr What

1512:"Horoscopes"

Postby Dr What » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:11 am UTC

title="If you live in the Northern hemisphere, anyway. In the southern hemisphere, due to the coriolis effect, babies are born nine months BEFORE they're conceived."

rhomboidal

Re: 1512:"Horoscopes"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:22 am UTC

Jesus was conceived during a sexy Easter egg hunt? That's miraculous.

Himself

Postby Himself » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:33 am UTC

If you're born 9 months before you're conceived, do you age backwards?
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:37 am UTC

Hilariously haunting.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:38 am UTC

Aging backwards would be awesome. You wake up suddenly as an old person in bed; feeble and invalid sure, but so are newborn babies, and you'll probably need diapers and care the same as a baby would. But then as time goes on your body gets more and more fit and strong. By the time you're in late-mid life and have been working and accruing material security, your body has grown fit and fabulous and you've never felt better. Then you retire, enjoy the best years of your life, growing smaller as you play and frolic in your retirement, until eventually you crawl up into a vagina and cease to exist.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:11 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Aging backwards would be awesome. You wake up suddenly as an old person in bed; feeble and invalid sure, but so are newborn babies, and you'll probably need diapers and care the same as a baby would. But then as time goes on your body gets more and more fit and strong. By the time you're in late-mid life and have been working and accruing material security, your body has grown fit and fabulous and you've never felt better. Then you retire, enjoy the best years of your life, growing smaller as you play and frolic in your retirement, until eventually you crawl up into a vagina and cease to exist.

Sounds like a good gig, except for the reverse-aging young women who suddenly feel the need to go to the hospital when nothing is wrong, just to have a baby crawl up into them.

Hope they don't have an unpregnancy full of complications after that...

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:24 am UTC

title="If you live in the Northern hemisphere, anyway. In the southern hemisphere, due to the coriolis effect, babies are born nine months BEFORE they're conceived."

Funny thing to say considering they have already assumed that you were born in a place where they celebrate Thanksgiving and the 4th of july.

Mystwalker

Postby Mystwalker » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:30 am UTC

For Scorpio, I suggest Valentine's Day.
Could be the case for me...

Eternal Density

Re: She didn't wear trousers

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:36 am UTC

"I'm going to go complain on the forum about how nothern-hemisphere-centric this is."
*reads title-text*
"Oh nevermind."
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:20 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:"I'm going to go complain on the forum about how nothern-hemisphere-centric this is."
*reads title-text*
"Oh nevermind."

Never mind the hemisphere, but what about the USA-centricity? The Fourth of July is indisputably a USA-specific festival; ditto Thanksgiving. Halloween costumes for grown-ups is also a fairly recent thing outside North America; and in the UK we celebrate Mother's Day on Mothering Sunday, in March or April (it's linked to the date of Easter). (Seriously, this is one to watch out for if you're living temporarily in the UK, or a British person living outside the UK: you will not get the ubiquitous reminders of the date relevant to your mum from every card shop and florist.)

FWIW, it's possible, but not very likely, that I was conceived on a hot August day, if 25°C counts as hot.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

klausok

Postby klausok » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:11 am UTC

I think that if you are conceived by people trying on costumes, you would likely be a sagittarius or scorpio. The carnival is in the early spring. The US halloween tradition is not followed all over the northern hemisphere.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:59 am UTC

I'm an Aries conceived a full week before the Fourth of July (a day that exists in every country, whether it's a holiday or not, and it's entirely possible to have a fireworks show in those other countries too). I was able to confirm this with my parents; my dad was in the Marines at the time and my mother remembers which week he came home on leave.

After hearing a song called "Don't Knock the Music You Were Made To", suggesting that the corny old tunes your parents listened to may have been the very ones responsible for putting them in the mood to bring you into existence, I checked the Billboard chart for the week in question. The number one song was "Purple People Eater". I can only conclude that my parents were far stranger than I ever gave them credit for.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:29 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:the Fourth of July (a day that exists in every country, whether it's a holiday or not, and it's entirely possible to have a fireworks show in those other countries too).

Well, yes, but it wouldn't be a "Fourth of July fireworks show", so much as a fireworks show on the 4th July. I'll admit that the whole thing is hedged with "may have", but to the extent that it's interesting at all, it's interesting because the examples represent something that's relatively likely to have been happening at the time of your conception. Otherwise they could say things like "you may have been conceived whilst Beethoven's 9th was playing", "you may have been conceived on the 4th floor of a building".

I'm not bothered by the US-centricity, BTW. RM is an American and isn't in any way obliged to make his cartoons internationalist (though he often does). I just thought it was funny to have the hemisphere-centricity pointed out and not the more narrow US-centricity.

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:35 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Jesus was conceived during a sexy Easter egg hunt? That's miraculous.

Actually, that is ALMOST correct. Jewish and Ancient church tradition hold that a prophet Died on the same day he was conceived. Therefore, the reason Christmas is in December is NOT in order to match a pagan holiday of winter, but because that is nine months after his celebrated Conception / death. While Easter is currently tied to the dates celebrating passover, tradition fixed Christmas at a particular day. Part of the results of combining a Lunar and Solar calendar.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:38 am UTC

Also, his father probably cheated during that Easter egg hunt. Being omniscient and all.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:48 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:"I'm going to go complain on the forum about how nothern-hemisphere-centric this is."
*reads title-text*
"Oh nevermind."

Never mind the hemisphere, but what about the USA-centricity? The Fourth of July is indisputably a USA-specific festival; ditto Thanksgiving. Halloween costumes for grown-ups is also a fairly recent thing outside North America; and in the UK we celebrate Mother's Day on Mothering Sunday, in March or April (it's linked to the date of Easter). (Seriously, this is one to watch out for if you're living temporarily in the UK, or a British person living outside the UK: you will not get the ubiquitous reminders of the date relevant to your mum from every card shop and florist.)

FWIW, it's possible, but not very likely, that I was conceived on a hot August day, if 25°C counts as hot.
Yeah I was thinking about the USA-centricity too, but didn't bother to complain because it wasn't as funny.

FWIW, it's not only possible, but quite certain, that I was conceived around a month or so after my parents married. And I'm not going to speculate any further.
\
Also, relevant xkcd: https://xkcd.com/830/ and I'm sure there was another that I just can't find. And I realised that the transcript search bar is missing! :(
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:12 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:And I realised that the transcript search bar is missing! :(

A google search will generally find whatever xkcd comic you are looking for.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:23 pm UTC

Deleted due to orthogon getting there way before me...
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:19 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:Deleted due to orthogon getting there way before me...

Sorry. You're still welcome to agree with me though (subject to within the forum rules)!

When I originally posted, I had absolutely no idea what March Madness was, but according to The Great Wiki, it's probably a basketball thing, also US-based. Unless it's something to do with the breeding season of the European hare, which appears to have featured in that disambiguation page at some point, though not currently.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:26 pm UTC

lol the alt. text.
No Randy, that's if you're born through the looking glass.

Mystwalker wrote:For Scorpio, I suggest Valentine's Day.

Likewise it could be either of my parent's birthdays…

*reads title-text*
"Oh nevermind."

Look there's help.
http://www.astrogeographia.org/your_zodiac_sign_is/
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:32 pm UTC

That's all well and good, but I want to know if I should keep a positive outlook.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:34 pm UTC

Dr What wrote:title="If you live in the Northern hemisphere, anyway. In the southern hemisphere, due to the coriolis effect, babies are born nine months BEFORE they're conceived."

Sprocket wrote:lol the alt. text.
No Randy, that's if you're born through the looking glass.

Actually, babies born in the southern hemisphere are the same except that their belly buttons twist the other way.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:58 pm UTC

Mystwalker wrote:For Scorpio, I suggest Valentine's Day.

St Patrick's Day here.

March Madness being in the latter half of March and into April, Carpricorns are more likely.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:09 pm UTC

Another "Probably valentine's day" person here. November 9th as a birthday? yeah. probably.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

origimbo

Postby origimbo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:26 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Actually, babies born in the southern hemisphere are the same except that their belly buttons twist the other way.

Actually, thats a common misconception.

Rrhain

Or in my case...

Postby Rrhain » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:55 pm UTC

"You were conceived on your Father's birthday."

I'm a Christmas baby.

Dad was born on March 20.

You do the math.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:22 pm UTC

It always bothered me a bit that my sister's birthday is nine months (and some years) after mine...
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:15 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:It always bothered me a bit that my sister's birthday is nine months (and some years) after mine...

Your parents are free to celebrate your birthday in their own way. :D

(alternate scenario: they wanted to give you a birthday present, but forgot about the long delivery time)

WontonSoup

Postby WontonSoup » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:48 pm UTC

Spot on about the Libra. A lot of people in my family are born late September, and if you wind the clock back 9 months, it almost certainly points to a bunch of drunken New Year's parties. :D

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:17 am UTC

They knew Jesus was conceived when the Easter Bunny died.

In the southern hemisphere, women don't know who their children's fathers are until nine months after their children are born.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:14 am UTC

Re the title:

Worst. Explanation. Of. Coriolis. Ever.
In all fairness...

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:08 am UTC

Two of my nieces were born May 21. Their mother is Norwegian. Benny Hill had a joke: First you have Father's Day, nine months later, you have Mother's Day. Father obviously had his. Also, there is New Year's Day, then nine months later, you have Labor Day.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:04 am UTC

mathmannix wrote:It always bothered me a bit that my sister's birthday is nine months (and some years) after mine...

I agree.
Weird.

oh! oh!
You must have been a wonderful child.

Your sister was conceived during the celebration of your birth.
You were, most likely, asleep.

They wanted another one just like you.
How did they do?

Is she ok? Is she like you?
Is she enough like you that they like her?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sn0zz

Postby Sn0zz » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:59 am UTC

It took me until my late teens before the realisation sank in that my birthday is exactly nine months after my mother's.
Happy birthday indeed mom... :?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:06 pm UTC

Quick! While the kid's passed out from too much cake and ice cream!

Sn0zz wrote:It took me until my late teens before the realisation sank in that my birthday is exactly nine months after my mother's.
Happy birthday indeed mom... :?

This makes me think of a onesie I saw once that said "All mommy wanted was a back rub".

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:24 pm UTC

I'm a Libra, so I can live with the NYE cliché. :roll: :wink:

Then I started to think about my daughters (to see if what I *know* I was up to is on the chart) and then my brothers and sisters birthdays and I realized, while I know the dates of all those, I mostly haven't a clue as to which zodiacal sign they are.

And I decided I'm kinda proud of that! :mrgreen:
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

Raineer

Postby Raineer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:14 pm UTC

I laughed out loud at the mouseover. Great stuff :)

TrueNarnian

Postby TrueNarnian » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:11 pm UTC

I know at least four people whose birthdays are November 14.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:48 pm UTC

TrueNarnian wrote:I know at least four people whose birthdays are November 14.

Your point? With 7.3 billion on this planet, that means there's about 20 million people with that birthday. Unless, of course, RM is correct about these holiday + 9 month correlations. Too bad there isn't a global birthday database that would let us check those correlations. I did find this chart online:

http://literock969.com/how-common-is-yo ... rthdays-2/

But it only applies to America, and it's not quantitative.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:01 pm UTC

I was likely conceived on Halloween itself. I was born July 25 but I was expected July 18, which coincidentally is also my mom's birthday. She's a Cancer. I'm a Leo. Thanksgiving is like a whole month off for early Leos like me.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”