0027: "Meat Cereals"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cyanyoshi

0027: "Meat Cereals"

Postby cyanyoshi » Sun May 31, 2015 3:12 am UTC

Title text:
Spoiler:
Disgusting
Just slap an "ASBESTOS-FREE" label on there, and they'll eat that right up. Hyuck hyuck hyuck...

orthogon

Re: 0027: "Meat Cereals"

Postby orthogon » Sun May 31, 2015 2:27 pm UTC

Just goes to show how culture-specific and bizarrely arbitrary food traditions are. The Pork Loops in particular: the whole idea is stomach churning even though pork is a very common breakfast food, albeit in the form of bacon or sausage; the combination of pork with a cereal product is completely conventional in pork pies or sausage rolls; pork works well paired with sweet, fruity flavours (e.g. apple sauce); and pork is combined with milk products in dishes like carbonara (I'm sure others can provide more examples: it's been a while since I ate the stuff). What's wrong, if anything, with Pork Loops appears to be the specific combination of these ingredients in the context of breakfast.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Sun May 31, 2015 3:10 pm UTC

Carbonara sauce is pretty far from milk. That's probably the only thing here that would be a problem, mixing regular milk with meat directly. On the other hand, I hear bacon is pretty good in ice cream.

That, or meat FLAVORED grain-based cereal. Meat as a flavoring, rather than the actual substance, seems completely wrong.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sun May 31, 2015 3:31 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:Carbonara sauce is pretty far from milk. That's probably the only thing here that would be a problem, mixing regular milk with meat directly.

Yes, it's interesting that Judaism has a taboo on mixing milk and meat.

sotanaht wrote:On the other hand, I hear bacon is pretty good in ice cream.

That, or meat FLAVORED grain-based cereal. Meat as a flavoring, rather than the actual substance, seems completely wrong.

And yet, smoky bacon flavour crisps [=potato chips]. OK, there's a technical distinction between flavour and flavoured, at least in the UK: the former doesn't have to contain any of the actual substance; but I'm not sure that matters here.

[EDIT: added milk/meat comment]
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

All_¥our_Bass

Postby All_¥our_Bass » Sun May 31, 2015 9:30 pm UTC

Is it bad that I'd consider eating 'Hammios'?

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if it was rings of ham jerky, and stir a bit of syrup into the milk before adding it to the bowl.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:04 pm UTC

Those Mice Krispies had better not look exactly like Cocoa Krispies!
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”