1534: "Beer"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kaelin

1534: "Beer"

Postby Kaelin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:14 am UTC

title="Mmmm, this is such a positive experience! I feel no social pressure to enjoy it at all!"

There were many things I did early in my life to fit in, typically very awkwardly. Drinking beer (thankfully) was not one of them.

On the other hand, watching sports has often filled this role for me. It provides a constant drone of small talk so you never have to say anything personal or revealing.

Copper Bezel

Re: 1534: "Beer"

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:24 am UTC

I assume this is the logic of light beers, at least.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

bobsomer

Postby bobsomer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:25 am UTC

If you think beer has a bad taste, just come here in Belgium and I'll make you drink some of best things you'll ever drink!

badmartialarts

Postby badmartialarts » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:31 am UTC

Not ALL beer

Derpetologist

Postby Derpetologist » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:35 am UTC

It kind of bothers me that there are some people who legitimately can't understand how someone else might enjoy something that they don't.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:38 am UTC

Personally, I love the taste of anaerobically hydrolyzed yeast shit.

petz

Postby petz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:07 am UTC

You don't like beer because of peer pressure. It's Stockholm syndrome.

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:15 am UTC

"All beers taste kind of bad and everyone is just pretending"?

Wow, those guys are seriously drinking the wrong kind of beer.

If you can try and dislike all of

Boltmaker (Timothey Taylors) 1
Boondoggle (Ringwood)
Forty Niner (Ringwood)
Landlord (Timothy Taylors )
Old Hooky (Hook Norton)
Tanglefoot (Badger)
Wainwright (Thwaites)

Then you seriously don't like beer.

1. Which, incidentally, I often genuinely make the mistake of calling Bolt Thrower instead, which is a very different experience indeed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolt_Thrower

tsotate

Postby tsotate » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:24 am UTC

sfmans wrote:Wow, those guys are seriously drinking the wrong kind of beer.

The kind with hops in it? Because that's what makes beer taste so bad, and it's pretty much required by most definitions of "beer".

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:31 am UTC

It's Friday afternoon, I want a beer, and I am damned sure it's not peer pressure speaking because if I wanted a different drink, I'd go have one.

That guy should man up and just drink what he wants.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:32 am UTC

petz wrote:You don't like beer because of beer pressure. It's Stockholm syndrome.

How I read that at first.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Yomar

Postby Yomar » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:55 am UTC

I've met people like this in real life. Same for wine, whiskey etc. Yes, you've discovered our secret - we all secretly hate the taste of alcohol, and the thousands of years we've spent developing different varieties of it in cultures across the world is all an effort to find just one variety we can stand so that we can stop pretending. It's not YOU, it's everyone ELSE.

iJ-1/9TSL3Ok

Postby iJ-1/9TSL3Ok » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:13 am UTC

Nice to see more people admit beer tastes bad (way too bitter for me). The closest I've had to a good beer is ginger beer, like Crabbie's.
That said, pretty much all alcoholic drinks taste bad to me, in different ways. Same with coffee — much too bitter for me. My taste in drinks hasn't changed at all since I was a kid.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:14 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Personally, I love the taste of anaerobically hydrolyzed yeast shit.

On the contrary. My brewers guild taught me to airate the liquid that is going to become beer ("jongbier" or "malt bier" in Dutch). This is to get oxygen in there for the yeast. Else it dies. (although I have never risked a batch by skipping this.

tsotate wrote:

The kind with hops in it? Because that's what makes beer taste so bad, and it's pretty much required by most definitions of "beer".

Hops are terrible. A bit of it can add to a beer but many beers have far to much hops. Especially small brewers tend to muck up their beer with it, exept for (for example) Belgian Dubbel, Bock. Most of these beers are quite dark with chocolaty tastes and a often a lot sweeter (although a good classic style Bock isn't sweet. That was a recent modification, giving rise to a new type of beer with the name of an old type).
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

biohazard

Postby biohazard » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:17 am UTC

Yomar wrote:I've met people like this in real life. Same for wine, whiskey etc. Yes, you've discovered our secret - we all secretly hate the taste of alcohol, and the thousands of years we've spent developing different varieties of it in cultures across the world is all an effort to find just one variety we can stand so that we can stop pretending. It's not YOU, it's everyone ELSE.

Yeah its clearly not because life was pretty horrible for most of human existence and people wanted to get drunk.

synp

Postby synp » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:20 am UTC

tsotate wrote:

It's not the hops. It's the alcohol. That's why malt beer tastes great - it has the hops, but not the alcohol.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:28 am UTC

synp wrote:
tsotate wrote:

It's not the hops. It's the alcohol. That's why malt beer tastes great - it has the hops, but not the alcohol.

I love the alcohol, but especially malts are just terrible. The beer isn't fermented so all the sugar is still in it. Yuck, it it tastes like a warm viscous rotting liquid that pretends to be beer. Even when it's cold, not thick enough to be viscous and by definition less rotten than real beer.
If I don't want the alcohol (due to driving or whatever) I usually choose Bavaria 0.0 Wit. It's a beer that tastes like it is brewed but it doesn't contain alcohol. If you like hops and have the chance you should try the Bavaria 0,0 Gold. It is far to hoppy for my taste but you might like it. Just, unless you are absolutely sure, stay away from the 0,0 Rose.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

jackal

Postby jackal » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:31 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
tsotate wrote:

Hops are terrible. A bit of it can add to a beer but many beers have far to much hops. Especially small brewers tend to muck up their beer with it, exept for (for example) Belgian Dubbel, Bock. Most of these beers are quite dark with chocolaty tastes and a often a lot sweeter (although a good classic style Bock isn't sweet. That was a recent modification, giving rise to a new type of beer with the name of an old type).

I don't get why hops are all the rage these days--IPAs, double IPAs, etc.

Bitterness is a bad thing. Human tastes evolved to associate "bitter"="bad" because bitter things are often bad, even poisonous, to us. So why on earth people would voluntarily line up to guzzle gallons of beer flavored with intense bitterness is simply beyond me. I might put some minor stock in the theory that everyone is claiming to like IPAs and other hoppy beers out of social pressure (it's a popular craft-brew style these days, and since craft beer=good, then IPA must=good, too, I guess), but that doesn't extend to other variants of beer.

Give me a good stout or hefe any day. I actually don't drink nor crave beer too often, but sometimes nothing tastes as delicious and flavorful as a nice, smooth Guinness...

ETA: even this guy says it's not natural to love hops: http://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-mus ... hoppy-beer
ETAA: an interesting read on the history of overly hopped beers from a self-proclaimed hophead: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drin ... ingle.html
Last edited by jackal on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:03 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Yomar

Postby Yomar » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:40 am UTC

biohazard wrote:
Yomar wrote:I've met people like this in real life. Same for wine, whiskey etc. Yes, you've discovered our secret - we all secretly hate the taste of alcohol, and the thousands of years we've spent developing different varieties of it in cultures across the world is all an effort to find just one variety we can stand so that we can stop pretending. It's not YOU, it's everyone ELSE.

Yeah its clearly not because life was pretty horrible for most of human existence and people wanted to get drunk.

Which requires all of one variety. But let's not pretend this is an argument - on the one hand we've got people saying "I like beer", and on the other hand people saying "You and everyone else in the world are lying, because you cannot possibly like what I don't like". I'm not defending beer, I'm just pointing out how obnoxious those people are.

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:42 am UTC

This comic baffled me, until I remembered it comes from the other side of the pond - that explains it though, it's well known their beer is like making love in a canoe...

kommunist

Postby kommunist » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:45 am UTC

Pretending to like beer? Pfft.
Try pretending that you're awake every day for trirty years or so.
Also, now I want beer.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:58 am UTC

jackal wrote:I don't get why hops are all the rage these days--IPAs, double IPAs, etc.

Bitterness is a bad thing. Human tastes evolved to associate "bitter"="bad" because bitter things are often bad, even poisonous, to us. So why on earth people would voluntarily line up to guzzle gallons of beer flavored with intense bitterness is simply beyond me. I might put some minor stock in the theory that everyone is claiming to like IPAs and other hoppy beers out of social pressure (it's a popular craft-brew style these days, and since craft beer=good, then IPA must=good, too, I guess), but that doesn't extend to other variants of beer.

Give me a good stout or hefe any day. I actually don't drink nor crave beer too often, but sometimes nothing tastes as delicious and flavorful as a nice, smooth Guinness...

ETA: even this guy says hopheads aren't natural: http://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-mus ... hoppy-beer

I love hoppy beers. Like that article says it's probably environmental conditioning, but I can assure you it's genuine enjoyment for me, rather than social pressure - if I'm alone on a Friday evening and want a beer with my meal I'll often reach for an IPA.

I generally enjoy a lot of bitter things - chicory, strong coffee, high cocoa % dark chocolate, the tonic in gin and tonic.

The major taste thing that I can't wrap my head around in other people is how lots of people like everything so sweet. I typically halve the amount of sugar in most desert recipes I make because using the full amount makes me feel nauseous when I eat it. And things like peanut butter with added sugar just blow my mind. Other people must be experiencing the taste of it very differently to me in order for that to seem like a good idea.

I think the general point here is people like/dislike different stuff, and you shouldn't assume that your experience of something matches others experience of it.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:11 am UTC

I find lager highly agreeable and very drinkable (especially on a hot day), but really struggle to drink bitter/real ale/stout/etc. Which I find a genuine shame, as in UK pubs the lager is generally a mix of chemicals I probably don't want to know about mass-produced by a faceless multinational, whereas the proper beer is often hand-crafted with no horrible additives, very low food miles, and little carbon footprint. I'm sure that if I trained myself long and hard enough I could attain a proper appreciation, but since my lifestyle isn't one that involves a lot of time spent in pubs, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile endeavour.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

jeanrenaud

Postby jeanrenaud » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:13 am UTC

I think that the reality must be told from someone who's just drinking its first beer of its life. Does you guys can confirm that the first beer you drank was tasting good ? I remember someone telling me "You will get accustomized". I guess that it's the thing girls says to other girls who swallow for the first time... (Let's see if this last sentence will get my reply flagged as inappropriate).

Yomar

Postby Yomar » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:31 am UTC

jeanrenaud wrote:I think that the reality must be told from someone who's just drinking its first beer of its life. Does you guys can confirm that the first beer you drank was tasting good ? I remember someone telling me "You will get accustomized". I guess that it's the thing girls says to other girls who swallow for the first time... (Let's see if this last sentence will get my reply flagged as inappropriate).

For a lot of people, beer will be the first alcoholic drink they taste (except maybe alcopops and super-sweet cocktails, which don't really count). Those people certainly won't like the taste at first, which is probably why a lot of teenagers and young adults scoff at the idea of drinking anything for the taste and instead just binge drink for the sake of getting drunk. I was acclimated to alcohol in the French style, with small amounts of red wine while I was a kid, so yes, I liked the first beer I drank.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:34 am UTC

CharlieP wrote:I find lager highly agreeable and very drinkable (especially on a hot day), but really struggle to drink bitter/real ale/stout/etc. Which I find a genuine shame, as in UK pubs the lager is generally a mix of chemicals I probably don't want to know about mass-produced by a faceless multinational, whereas the proper beer is often hand-crafted with no horrible additives, very low food miles, and little carbon footprint. I'm sure that if I trained myself long and hard enough I could attain a proper appreciation, but since my lifestyle isn't one that involves a lot of time spent in pubs, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile endeavour.

Yeah, it's a shame most lagers commonly available in the UK are poor quality, because IMO a lot of lagers are delicious - particularly dark lagers and Kölsch. German lagers are hard to beat in my opinion.

jeanrenaud wrote:I think that the reality must be told from someone who's just drinking its first beer of its life. Does you guys can confirm that the first beer you drank was tasting good ? I remember someone telling me "You will get accustomized". I guess that it's the thing girls says to other girls who swallow for the first time... (Let's see if this last sentence will get my reply flagged as inappropriate).

No, my first taste of beer was horrible, but I didn't really keep drinking it to get used to it. I just didn't drink beer after that* apart from sips of different ones that other people had ordered to see if there was any style of it which I liked. I found a beer when I was 22 that I genuinely liked (Hoegaarden) and my taste in beer broadened from there. The same thing pretty much happened with wine and Gewürztraminer.

*Never went in for binge drinking for the sake of getting drunk - I hate being drunk and pace myself quite carefully to avoid going over the tipsy-drunk threshold.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:49 am UTC

I was going to say this - I think it's pretty well accepted that nobody likes beer the first time they try it; it's an acquired taste, but once you've acquired the taste you aren't just accustomed to it, you actively love it. The peer pressure and the agreeableness of being drunk are two reasons why most people in pro-alcohol societies end up liking it; but there are plenty of other acquired tastes that don't have either: olives, oysters*, caviar. Probably in all cases it's something about the flavour that rings warning bells, particularly the bitterness=poison response mentioned by jackal, and this has to be overcome. That may be by being forced to eat/drink the thing, by some social expectation that it ought to be delicious, particularly if it's expensive (I guess this is a kind of peer pressure), or by some kind of "gateway" version; a sweet white wine might be a the first step towards liking wine.

For me, the problem with most non-alcoholic drinks is sweetness (I agree with Quercus). I wish there were more savoury/bitter soft drinks available. The closest I've got is tomato juice, but it's quite heavy and you can't drink more than a couple. The alcohol-free beers are getting better: I wish all pubs sold them; possibly there should even be legislation to compel it.

* To tie in with jeanrenaud's comment: I've heard raw oysters compared to a mouthful of semen in terms of both texture and flavour. I only have limited experience of either, but there's something in it.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:04 am UTC

orthogon wrote:For me, the problem with most non-alcoholic drinks is sweetness (I agree with Quercus). I wish there were more savoury/bitter soft drinks available. The closest I've got is tomato juice, but it's quite heavy and you can't drink more than a couple. The alcohol-free beers are getting better: I wish all pubs sold them; possibly there should even be legislation to compel it.

If you're somewhere that will have bitters for cocktails then ask for a dash of bitters in soda. It technically contains alcohol so won't be an option if you need to avoid all alcohol, but the concentration is going to probably be <1% and it's delicious.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:05 am UTC

orthogon wrote:For me, the problem with most non-alcoholic drinks is sweetness (I agree with Quercus). I wish there were more savoury/bitter soft drinks available. The closest I've got is tomato juice, but it's quite heavy and you can't drink more than a couple. The alcohol-free beers are getting better: I wish all pubs sold them; possibly there should even be legislation to compel it.

Agreed. The last time I briefly abstained from alcohol, it became painfully apparent that particular dishes I like to cook (ones involving pasta and tomato-based sauce) had become inextricably linked with red wine, and it just didn't taste right to eat them with anything else.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

SDS

Postby SDS » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:22 am UTC

Bitterness is a bad thing. Human tastes evolved to associate "bitter"="bad" because bitter things are often bad, even poisonous, to us.

This just demonstrates the extent to which peoples tastes differ. I tend to find things that are sweet quite boring, unless they have significant sour or bitter notes. And generally, sour and bitter flavours are much more interesting.

I've always understood that humans have an aversion to bitter things at birth, that gradually recedes. This is quite a useful protection from a baby eating something poisonous that they don't recognise - but leaves room for an adult to develop preferences that are a little bit more sophisticated than a babies.

I was going to say this - I think it's pretty well accepted that nobody likes beer the first time they try it; it's an acquired taste, but once you've acquired the taste you aren't just accustomed to it, you actively love it.

Maybe. I don't ever recall disliking it. I was first given beer by a friend, who was clearly trying to get a disgust/surprise reaction out of me, but I remember having a response more along the lines of "ooooh, that's rather nice.".

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:42 am UTC

CharlieP wrote:

Agreed. The last time I briefly abstained from alcohol, it became painfully apparent that particular dishes I like to cook (ones involving pasta and tomato-based sauce) had become inextricably linked with red wine, and it just didn't taste right to eat them with anything else.

During cooking the alcohol quite soon leaves through the ventilation, although you can get tipsy from breathing that. If you want something wine-like but alcohol free there are many alcohol free wines I haven't tried them myself but since you usually cook the stuff for a while in tomato based pasta sauce I would hazard a guess that the taste is suitable and the lack of alcohol isn't a problem anyway. An alternative is grape juice, around here it's available in most shops. More than alcohol free wine anyway.
Since I don't often drink wine I often forget to buy the wine for a tomato based pasta sauce. Thus I know the wine (or, perhaps, a replacement) greatly enhances the taste of most pasta based dishes.

he/him/his

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:43 am UTC

Another thing perhaps worth pointing out is that bitterness and sweetness are proper tastes (detected by the tongue), whereas the flavours that make beer, olives and fishy stuff delicious are smells. My understanding is that we're born with fully developed taste - this helps us to stay alive by eating sugars and avoiding poisons until we can refine our categorisation of foods into good and bad. Smell is something we learn over time as we learn the shapes of the molecules concerned. So there's a physiological basis for acquired taste. [citation needed]
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:55 am UTC

Indeed. There are only 5 tastes (sweet, sour, bitter, salt and umami). These are sensed with the tongue. All the rest of the flavors are sensed with the nose. "Spicy" is something else, that is signaled by fake cell damage, which is why you can feel it in your eyes and on your genitals.
Therefore, when you have a massive cold everything will taste rather bland, although the tongue is not affected by the cold.

he/him/his

LockeZ

Postby LockeZ » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:56 am UTC

All I really want is beer that tastes exactly like Pepsi. And doesn't get me drunk at all.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:00 am UTC

jackal wrote:Bitterness is a bad thing. Human tastes evolved to associate "bitter"="bad" because bitter things are often bad, even poisonous, to us. So why on earth people would voluntarily line up to guzzle gallons of beer flavored with intense bitterness is simply beyond me.

Not a beer person myself, but you're completely off-base when it comes to coffee. I can't understand the point of what most people order with all their sweeteners and whiteners. I buy my coffee in resealable aluminum bottles from Japan, which I keep in the coldest part of the fridge so they're right at the point of freezing. The ingredients on the can read as follows: Water, coffee. Period. End of ingredients list.

As I once said to my then-girlfriend over breakfast at a Howard Johnson's, as she opened her sixth (!) serving of creamer for a single cup of joe: "Vicki, if you wanted a milkshake, why didn't you just order a milkshake?"

FOARP

Postby FOARP » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:03 am UTC

Assuming this is Randall's actual opinion on beer, for me this puts him the category of people who say that they don't like wine/whisky/tea/coffee/curries etc. Whilst there's a legit reason to say you don't like it, there's always the suspicion that they just haven't spent the time and effort necessary to get into what are (due to complex flavouring and large numbers of varieties) acquired tastes, in which case you're basically denying yourself interesting experiences based on pure laziness and fear of the unknown.

LordHorst

Postby LordHorst » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:06 am UTC

"If you don't like it, don't drink it". This. Exactly this. I never had the feeling I had to drink beer just because everyone expects me to. In fact, I didn't start drinking beer or anything that cointains alcohol until I was about 20 (which is quite late, since legal drinking age for beer is 16 where I come from ;) ). I just chose not to drink it and my friends accepted it.

But I kind of get where this comic is coming from. For example I detest sparkling wine. It tastes so awful that I could puke from the taste alone. But somehow everyone else seems to enjoy it? I really cannot believe that... so my guess is that everyone just PRETENDS to like it. :P
Also, I find it quite offending that just about everywhere you are almost forced a glass of sparkling wine... be it the new years party, the office Christmas party or birthday celebrations of co-workers. There's ALWAYS a glass of sparkling wine for me, even though I have stated numerous times that I don't drink sparkling wine. And every time I say: "No thanks" if someone offers me a glass they all act surprised. Even worse: If you have to wait in a restaurant to get seated... what do they offer you? Sparkling wine! And nothing else! At least have the courtesy and offer some orange juice as well. I mean it could very well be that the person waiting to get seated is a recovered alcoholic...

FOARP

Postby FOARP » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:07 am UTC

"BTW - I'm going to claim that no-one actually likes art, but merely pretends to out of peer pressure. Art is red, and I don't like red.

Same goes for music. Music contains bass, and I don't like bass."

- How people who claim that they don't like beer because its bitter sound to someone who actually does like beer.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:18 am UTC

LordHorst wrote:Even worse: If you have to wait in a restaurant to get seated... what do they offer you? Sparkling wine! And nothing else!

That must be a location-specific thing. On the rare occasions I've been offered a drink on the house because I had to wait it's always been a drink of my choice.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:25 am UTC

FOARP wrote:Assuming this is Randall's actual opinion on beer, for me this puts him the category of people who say that they don't like wine/whisky/tea/coffee/curries etc. Whilst there's a legit reason to say you don't like it, there's always the suspicion that they just haven't spent the time and effort necessary to get into what are (due to complex flavouring and large numbers of varieties) acquired tastes, in which case you're basically denying yourself interesting experiences based on pure laziness and fear of the unknown.

However, https://xkcd.com/915/

If you put in the time and effort, you can become proficient in very different activites, like experiencing specific categories of food or drinks. Sure, they're interesting, but focusing one's attention elsewhere is not lazyness.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”