1541: "Voice"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tho74
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:20 am UTC

1541: "Voice"

Postby tho74 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:50 am UTC

Image

Title Text: Anyway, we should totally go watch a video story or put some food in our normal mouths!

No idea what this is about... About the difficulty to express important things instead of the usual chitchat?
Last edited by tho74 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

nullmark
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:57 am UTC

Re: Voice

Postby nullmark » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:03 am UTC

tho74 wrote:No idea what this is about... About the difficulty to express important things instead of the usual chitchat?

Maybe he just wants to lengthen xkcd's "nightmare fuel" page on tvtropes...

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2044
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:13 am UTC

I'm thinking The Silver Chair?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3059
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby orthogon » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:36 am UTC

I wonder if she knows when she's going to get control, or if the "once every six years" is more the average of a Poisson process. And whether she gets control for a fixed length of time, or a fixed number of words (which would be an interesting tie-in with the Hemingway comic). That she doesn't quite manage to say anything useful suggests that she's either caught by surprise or it lasted for less time than she expected.

ETA: It can't be just her voice that she can't normally control, otherwise she could plead for help in writing. Perhaps it's her whole language function that's been taken over.

ETA2: On past form, I wouldn't be surprised if this one played out in real time, with Ms Ponytail managing to blurt out the next instalment in June 2021.
Last edited by orthogon on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2229
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Flumble » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:38 am UTC

Yes, there's definitely not a spider living in her speech centre.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3059
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby orthogon » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:41 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Yes, there's definitely not a spider living in her speech centre.

Oh god oh god oh god...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Showsni
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Showsni » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:48 am UTC

Have to keep me away from Kandrona rays for three days?

funda
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 am UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby funda » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:50 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Flumble wrote:Yes, there's definitely not a spider living in her speech centre.

Oh god oh god oh god...


Spoiler:
Image

Oh. That would make a lot of sense. :)
Poorly updated Blog http://johndasfundas.blogspot.com
Yes, I will clean it up.... later
And badly maintained website :http://www.fundazone.com

User avatar
Dr What
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:43 am UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Dr What » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:51 am UTC

Yes! Let's watch the Spider-woman Movie!

Ceetar
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Ceetar » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:52 am UTC

went back trying to figure out which comic was six years ago but didn't find anything interesting.

"sets a calendar reminder for 6/22/2021"

User avatar
Minstrel
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Minstrel » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:16 pm UTC

Ceetar wrote:went back trying to figure out which comic was six years ago but didn't find anything interesting.

"sets a calendar reminder for 6/22/2021"


I did the same. Assuming it would actually be 6/22/2009, that should be #600. Which does also have ponytail girl, but otherwise I can't find a connection. I don't know the xkcd characters well, so I'm not sure if the dark-haired girl is the same character, although she's an android in #600, so probably not...

Kit.
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Kit. » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:44 pm UTC

Topper: "That's nothing! I cannot control my voice at all!"

functoruser
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:13 am UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby functoruser » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:47 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:ETA: It can't be just her voice that she can't normally control, otherwise she could plead for help in writing. Perhaps it's her whole language function that's been taken over.


I assume that her entire body has been taken over by some other lifeform. It brought to mind the keepers from Babylon 5.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3059
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby orthogon » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:26 pm UTC

functoruser wrote:
orthogon wrote:ETA: It can't be just her voice that she can't normally control, otherwise she could plead for help in writing. Perhaps it's her whole language function that's been taken over.


I assume that her entire body has been taken over by some other lifeform. It brought to mind the keepers from Babylon 5.

If that's the case, it opens up a wide range of other possible uses for the brief six-yearly window of autonomy:
I'm sorry, I only get to scratch my arse every six years ... aah ... mmm ... oh yeah, that's got it ...

I'm sorry about this, but I only get to masturbate once every six years ... [as above]
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

eidako
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:24 am UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby eidako » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:43 pm UTC

functoruser wrote:I assume that her entire body has been taken over by some other lifeform.

Agreed -- like an alien parasite. Or a paranormal entity. Or certain kinds of brain injury.

User avatar
david.windsor
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby david.windsor » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:26 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Yes, there's definitely not a spider living in her speech centre.


Yes, there's definitely not a song about this sort of thing.
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

User avatar
david.windsor
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby david.windsor » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:27 pm UTC

maybe the red spiders are back?
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:28 pm UTC

david.windsor wrote:
Flumble wrote:Yes, there's definitely not a spider living in her speech centre.


Yes, there's definitely not a song about this sort of thing.


Also not a poem by Shel Silverstein.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby HES » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:47 pm UTC

david.windsor wrote:maybe the red spiders are back?

Or never left. The invasion was successful.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
Envelope Generator
Posts: 582
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:07 am UTC
Location: pareidolia

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:08 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Yes, there's definitely not a spider living in her speech centre.


A storyline developing? Molpyish.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby da Doctah » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:09 pm UTC

Why is everyone assuming that it's ponytail who can only control her voice every six years? I immediately assumed it was someone else trying to get through and using her voice as the unreliable channel to do so.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3059
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby orthogon » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:24 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:Why is everyone assuming that it's ponytail who can only control her voice every six years? I immediately assumed it was someone else trying to get through and using her voice as the unreliable channel to do so.

Interesting thought, but ... isn't that what "my" means? Wouldn't the someone else have to say "I can only control her voice once every six years"? Unless the voice that comes out of the larynx contained in the body of ponytail really belongs to someone else, but then aren't we almost into brain-transplant philosophy?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

peterdroberts
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:46 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby peterdroberts » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:54 pm UTC

It's about the struggle of being bipolar. I posted the below on facebook a few weeks back:

I’m bipolar. I have a disability of never being able to tell anyone how I feel. You’ll never understand the journey I took to say that. I want my emotions to be taken seriously. On the days I can’t speak, I want to be hugged. I don’t want to be told to get more in touch with my emotions because my emotions have been my shame my entire life. I have fought them with alcohol and with God and with all kinds of things.

Do you understand the constant frustration of feeling something one month and only being able to express it the next month, when you are carefree and chatty?

Or of having endless friends you made when out partying who don’t just, intuitively understand that at some points you don’t want to talk and the emotions you are feeling aren’t verbal.

Or of feeling like people who react to your emotions are using them against you and pushing you into states where you can’t act rationally?

Do you know the frustration of wanting your face to disappear, because it stops people listening to your words?

I have grown increasingly ashamed of my secret emotions my entire life and that’s why I lock myself in rooms dancing. That’s why I walk away at parties. I want to be loved for who I am on that day, not who I’m supposed to be.

Thanks for listening.

User avatar
squall_line
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:36 am UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby squall_line » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:27 pm UTC

peterdroberts wrote:It's about the struggle of being bipolar. I posted the below on facebook a few weeks back:


First, welcome to the community.

Second, thank you for sharing your struggle. I know that it couldn't have been easy.

Third, while some may read it as a bipolar struggle, I felt compelled to say that the use of "watch a video story" and "food in our normal mouths" indicate that it's more of a reference to #600 or #1530 and a non-human lifeform having control over her body. The "normal mouths" part is the bigger giveaway to a situation like 1530.

Ultimately, the best art can be interpreted by the viewer in many different ways.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3616
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:29 pm UTC

I came across a theory a while back that up until early historical times, humans actually did have split personalities as a matter of course - that right-left brain integration and a single unified ego is a very recent development... No idea how solid the theory is/was, but it prompts some vaguely interesting speculation about the nature of identity...

The alt-text joke is clearly about foreign possession by a (very) non-human entity, but it's far from unprecedented for the alt-text and the main comic to have different (but related) jokes, so the main comic could still be about multiple native personalities...

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5381
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:03 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I came across a theory a while back that up until early historical times, humans actually did have split personalities as a matter of course - that right-left brain integration and a single unified ego is a very recent development... No idea how solid the theory is/was, but it prompts some vaguely interesting speculation about the nature of identity...

I think I've heard of that theory as well... the idea was that instead of our reflective internal dialogue that we have now when we reason about things, prehistoric (and early historic) people literally hallucinated another voice telling them to do things, a voice which was not clearly perceived as just an internal thought process of their own, yeah? I don't remember who the author behind that idea was, do you?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:28 am UTC

Sounds like utter crap, otherwise we'd see left-right brain separation in other primates and mammals.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:36 am UTC

Do you know what we need?

Weapons to fight the Goa'uld!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6819
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:21 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I think I've heard of that theory as well... [...] I don't remember who the author behind that idea was, do you?
Sounds like Julian Jaynes: The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind.

Whizbang wrote:Sounds like utter crap, otherwise we'd see left-right brain separation in other primates and mammals.
I agree 100%.

And welcome peterdroberts!

peterdroberts wrote:Do you understand the constant frustration of feeling something one month and only being able to express it the next month, when you are carefree and chatty?
No, having never felt it I don't understand it. But I can accept it once I know it's a thing. I find that, in the next month when I'm carefree and chatty, I no longer remember the feeling from the previous month, so cannot express it. Do you remember it well enough to do so? That would be a gift if it could be channeled (i.e. into creative writing or music).

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

peterdroberts
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:46 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby peterdroberts » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:42 am UTC

Interesting stuff.

And yes, I can talk about my internal dialogue very clearly. I remember my internal dialogue from the peak of mania and the pit of depression. I sort of just assumed everyone did.

I think speaking is something you have to train to represent your internal world. It's not as automatic a link as most people thing.

Kit.
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Kit. » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:55 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I came across a theory a while back that up until early historical times, humans actually did have split personalities as a matter of course - that right-left brain integration and a single unified ego is a very recent development... No idea how solid the theory is/was, but it prompts some vaguely interesting speculation about the nature of identity...

As far as I know, corpus callosotomy does not result in what people usually call "split personalities". The brain still has a strong illusion of its unity even when it's clearly unwarranted.

But that makes the nature of identity even more interesting.

OP Tipping
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:23 am UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby OP Tipping » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:07 am UTC

I assumed ponytail was just messing around, or trying to ensure the other lass stays around for at least six years.
a) Please explain the specific MEDICAL reason for ordering this MEDICATION !
b) Please state the nature of your ailment or injury.
c) One a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?
d) Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

User avatar
zombie_monkey
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:26 pm UTC
Location: Bulgaria

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby zombie_monkey » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:10 am UTC

peterdroberts wrote:Interesting stuff.

And yes, I can talk about my internal dialogue very clearly. I remember my internal dialogue from the peak of mania and the pit of depression. I sort of just assumed everyone did.

I think speaking is something you have to train to represent your internal world. It's not as automatic a link as most people thing.


Eh, yeah. That's why I was extremely skeptical when people talked about "internal dialogue" because that was clearly bullshit to me, I certainly don't feel like I have such a thing. But I guess maybe some people do?

User avatar
Jackpot777
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Jackpot777 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:07 pm UTC

Image

What's all this nonsense about the spizziders, fo' shizzle. Now where's my candy?

JackJacko
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:36 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby JackJacko » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:39 pm UTC

Huh, I thought this was referencing The Shadow Out of Time. Then again I'm a Lovecraft fanboy, so I'm probably biased.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6819
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:40 pm UTC

zombie_monkey wrote:Eh, yeah. That's why I was extremely skeptical when people talked about "internal dialogue" because that was clearly bullshit to me, I certainly don't feel like I have such a thing. But I guess maybe some people do?
Interesting. Can you read aloud? Can you read aloud in your mind? Can you read aloud things you're making up as you go along, in your mind? That's kind of like internal dialogue, at least when it's put into words. Do you ever (or can you) talk to yourself? That's when internal dialogue leaks. Not all decisions involve internal dialogue; I haven't tracked which ones do and which ones don't. But sometimes when I'm making (computer) programming decisions, I find it helpful to not only to have an internal dialogue, but to type it out in a text editor (even tossing it away afterwards). I think for most of life decisions however, I just think about them and make them, words-free.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:41 pm UTC

Also, what about arguments in the shower?

You can't explain that.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3059
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby orthogon » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:43 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Also, what about arguments in the shower?

You can't explain that.

Depends who's in the shower with you.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
zombie_monkey
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:26 pm UTC
Location: Bulgaria

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby zombie_monkey » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:59 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
zombie_monkey wrote:Eh, yeah. That's why I was extremely skeptical when people talked about "internal dialogue" because that was clearly bullshit to me, I certainly don't feel like I have such a thing. But I guess maybe some people do?
Interesting. Can you read aloud? Can you read aloud in your mind? Can you read aloud things you're making up as you go along, in your mind? That's kind of like internal dialogue, at least when it's put into words. Do you ever (or can you) talk to yourself? That's when internal dialogue leaks. Not all decisions involve internal dialogue; I haven't tracked which ones do and which ones don't. But sometimes when I'm making (computer) programming decisions, I find it helpful to not only to have an internal dialogue, but to type it out in a text editor (even tossing it away afterwards). I think for most of life decisions however, I just think about them and make them, words-free.

Jose


Hm, most of that, no. I can read aloud, but not very well, haltingly if I don't focus a lot, and even then. I can read with sort-of sounding the words in my mind, but it's very slow and I don't see the point. Also, people have commented that I read very fast, sometimes expressing disbelief that I've read something in as much time as I did. I don't talk to myself.

I can't imagine making a decision by mentally imagining a dialogue. I don't feel like language has much to do with my thinking except when it pertains to producing or interpreting language itself.

billyswong
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

Re: 1541: "Voice"

Postby billyswong » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:25 pm UTC

Strange that still nobody mention/remember this:
http://animorphs.wikia.com/wiki/Yeerk


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests