1548: "90s Kid"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Moomin

1548: "90s Kid"

Postby The Moomin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:38 pm UTC

Title text "We remember Rugrats, and think of them every time our kids look at us through their baby gates"

Surely all these things should be, "You're a 70s or 90s kid if you remember . . ." as the 70s kids would watch the show while looking after their children who are 90s kids?

This whole nostalgia thing needs rethinking.

(Edited to try make it make sense to myself. Not sure I succeeded)
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

pkcommando

Re: 1548: "90s Kid"

Postby pkcommando » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:53 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:This whole nostalgia thing needs rethinking.

thermopile

Postby thermopile » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:56 pm UTC

As a kid growing up in the 80s and 90s, I remember watching with aversion the cheesy commercials that were trying to sell cassette tape collections of the popular 60's and 70's music.

"Ughh," I would think. "Who cares about that era? It's long gone and the music sounds so old."

Alas, now, the music that I like is squarely in that cheesy old camp.

Beavertails

Postby Beavertails » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:51 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:Forum Games: Beavertails likes pie.

Beavertails

Postby Beavertails » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:54 pm UTC

thermopile wrote:As a kid growing up in the 80s and 90s, I remember watching with aversion the cheesy commercials that were trying to sell cassette tape collections of the popular 60's and 70's music.

I can still sing every clip from this commercial in order:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oJ8SioFmqY

flicky1991 wrote:Forum Games: Beavertails likes pie.

harmonb

Postby harmonb » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:57 pm UTC

I have loved xkcd comics for years, and appreciate being able to use them in presentations. Thank you for making that possible!

However, I think that your assumption that the average new mom is a 90s kid is inaccurate. I conduct research in the field of Human Development and Family Sciences, and am often interested in considering the age at first birth (age when a person first becomes a parent). This age varies widely across different levels of income and education, so although your statement may be true of portions of the population, it is not accurate as an overall estimation. Women who have the opportunity to go to college (and beyond) will often delay their first birth until after 25, and many women with graduate educations wait until they are well over 30 to have a child (or children). Age at first birth varies regionally in the United States, as well.

Anyway, you can find support for this on the Center for Disease Control's website, or often in demography publications. The Journal of Marriage and the Family typically publishes a "decade in review" issue that includes an article about childbearing trends.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:13 pm UTC

I find the phrase "median age at first birth" misleading.

My age at first birth was 0.

mdistancerunner

Postby mdistancerunner » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:29 pm UTC

harmonb wrote:However, I think that your assumption that the average new mom is a 90s kid is inaccurate. I conduct research in the field of Human Development and Family Sciences, and am often interested in considering the age at first birth (age when a person first becomes a parent). This age varies widely across different levels of income and education, so although your statement may be true of portions of the population, it is not accurate as an overall estimation. Women who have the opportunity to go to college (and beyond) will often delay their first birth until after 25, and many women with graduate educations wait until they are well over 30 to have a child (or children). Age at first birth varies regionally in the United States, as well.

Anyway, you can find support for this on the Center for Disease Control's website, or often in demography publications. The Journal of Marriage and the Family typically publishes a "decade in review" issue that includes an article about childbearing trends.

According to this (first one I found via Google) which is sourced from the Census Bureau, the median age is right around 25.5:
https://www.bgsu.edu/content/dam/BGSU/c ... -13-06.pdf

Yes, it is trending upward, but the typical first-time mother is still 25.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:49 pm UTC

harmonb wrote:... This age varies widely across different levels of income and education, so although your statement may be true of portions of the population, it is not accurate as an overall estimation.

I think it might be the other way around: it probably is true of the whole population (Randall would normally want to get matters of fact right, especially if the whole comic hinges on it) but, like any other statistic, may not be as meaningful as it appears: it might be like the average person having less than two arms.

harmonb wrote:Women who have the opportunity to go to college (and beyond) will often delay their first birth until after 25, and many women with graduate educations wait until they are well over 30 to have a child (or children). Age at first birth varies regionally in the United States, as well.

As far as the median is concerned, it doesn't matter how long the women in the upper half (semile?) of the population delay it (the mean would of course be affected by this). So when you say that women who go to college will often delay their first birth until after 25: yes, for the median to be 25, half of women need to wait until after 25.

Welcome to the forum! Please stay around.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Sadgrinner

Postby Sadgrinner » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:54 pm UTC

Not a fan of this one. With advancing maternal age (The cdc site indicates that the mean age at first birth is 26.0 years, but I can't post links), the average age of those giving birth for the first time will mean new mothers were born in 1989 (or 1990 for this comic's purposes).

But ... the 'median' children depicted in this comic simply wouldn't be having this conversation yet. They would be zero years old.
When does a child start complaining, "Ugh, don't you hate how parents are all..." ? Not in their youngest years, by any stretch! I'd suggest that middle school is when the true embarrassment and reflection/discussion about one's parents starts happening. The discussion depicted here won't happen for another ten years, which makes this one fall flat.

Oh well, they can't all be winners.
xkcd/1477 and xkcd/891 are much more successful comics in the vein of "let's try to make readers feel old!" Maybe xkcd/1393 is the best.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:27 pm UTC

Sadgrinner wrote:Not a fan of this one. With advancing maternal age (The cdc site indicates that the mean age at first birth is 26.0 years, but I can't post links), the average age of those giving birth for the first time will mean new mothers were born in 1989 (or 1990 for this comic's purposes).

But ... the 'median' children depicted in this comic simply wouldn't be having this conversation yet. They would be zero years old.
When does a child start complaining, "Ugh, don't you hate how parents are all..." ? Not in their youngest years, by any stretch! I'd suggest that middle school is when the true embarrassment and reflection/discussion about one's parents starts happening. The discussion depicted here won't happen for another ten years, which makes this one fall flat.

xkcd/1477 and xkcd/891 are much more successful comics in the vein of "let's try to make readers feel old!" Maybe xkcd/1393 is the best.

I'd argue that the typical person born in 1990 only remembers back to about 1995 or so. The true '90s child is the one born in '85 (or so) who has (on average) a 5-year-old...

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

I mean, also, who exactly is a "90's kid." I have never understood that to be "people who were born in the 90's." After all, "90's kid" nostalgia seems aimed at people who were around to experience most of the 90's cartoons and pop culture phenomena, which is moreso people born in 80's, and definitely not people born in '99 (By contrast if you were born in '79, you were 11 in 1990 and probably saw a number of those cartoons before hitting your angsty teenage years...).

ETA: kind of ninja'd there.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:00 pm UTC

Puppyclaws wrote:I mean, also, who exactly is a "90's kid." I have never understood that to be "people who were born in the 90's." After all, "90's kid" nostalgia seems aimed at people who were around to experience most of the 90's cartoons and pop culture phenomena, which is moreso people born in 80's, and definitely not people born in '99 (By contrast if you were born in '79, you were 11 in 1990 and probably saw a number of those cartoons before hitting your angsty teenage years...).

ETA: kind of ninja'd there.

Right, I was born in 1978, and my first memories are from the 80's. I definitely consider myself an "eighties kid" more than a "seventies kid". The cartoons and sitcoms I remember best from childhood were on from about 1984 to 1990.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:50 pm UTC

I was born in 1982 and used to think of myself as an "80s kid" until I realized that most of the "80s" things I remembered were actually from the early 90s, or the late 80s at best.

Nowadays, I think of "[decade] kids" as kids born in the decade prior to that, whose pubescent years fell in the named decade. For me, I happened to reach adulthood exactly as the 90s ended, so that seems like a very clear landmark to me, but I could see someone born two years earlier, who was 10-20 during the 90s, as being a "90s" kid just as much as me, even though they weren't technically a kid for the end of the 90s.

It's the ones who were born in 1989 that seem to really stretch that notion, since they would remember 96-99 in the same way I remember 90-92, and I barely remember 90-92; the real formative part of the 90s to me seems to be 94 and on, when I was in my teens. Kids born in 1989 would have had their teens entirely in the 2000s (2002-2008), while I was away at college and then trying to establish a career, so considering them and I both "90s kids" in the same way seems incongruent.

thermopile wrote:As a kid growing up in the 80s and 90s, I remember watching with aversion the cheesy commercials that were trying to sell cassette tape collections of the popular 60's and 70's music.

"Ughh," I would think. "Who cares about that era? It's long gone and the music sounds so old."

The other day I had some halfway decent song stuck in my head and tried to figure out what it was and who it was by. I was surprised to realize it was a Justin Timberlake song, who I still think of in the same teenybopper camp as Justin Bieber. (Hmm, both Justins...). In the comments on the YouTube music video for it I eventually found, there were a bunch of people ranting about how "this is classic music, this is old school music from back in the days when music was good, and all the crap that kids listen to today is just garbage in comparison!" I know that every generation says that about the music that they grew up with vs whatever's playing now, but it was still pretty hilarious to hear what I still think of as relatively new, generic, mass-produced pop crap for kids singled out as the timeless classics of a bygone era.

Makes me wonder what those grandpas who grew up in the days when jazz was the upcoming threat to social stability think of bands like Led Zepplin being considered "classic rock" now. How long until "classic dubstep" stations are a thing for nostalgic Mil... er... what do you call the generation born after 2000, since "Millennials" apparently means the same thing as "90s kids" and not what I thought it meant?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:04 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Nowadays, I think of "[decade] kids" as kids born in the decade prior to that, whose pubescent years fell in the named decade. For me, I happened to reach adulthood exactly as the 90s ended, so that seems like a very clear landmark to me, but I could see someone born two years earlier, who was 10-20 during the 90s, as being a "90s" kid just as much as me, even though they weren't technically a kid for the end of the 90s.

I was born in the first week of the 1970s. I am clearly a '70s kid, because I was trying to act more grown-up by the time the '80s rolled around (earning money on a milk round to pay for my own fashionable clothes in the decade helped). By the end of the '80s I was attending warehouse raves (watch this and learn, kids).

Yes, I said "milk round". Get off my lawn. Damn kids.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:08 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Makes me wonder what those grandpas who grew up in the days when jazz was the upcoming threat to social stability think of bands like Led Zepplin being considered "classic rock" now. How long until "classic dubstep" stations are a thing for nostalgic Mil... er... what do you call the generation born after 2000, since "Millennials" apparently means the same thing as "90s kids" and not what I thought it meant?

I look forward to the day. But then again, I still remix stuff like this...

I remember when Beats International (Fatboy Slim. Norman Cook. That guy) sampled "The Guns Of Brixton" by The Clash as the bassline for "Dub Be Good To Me". Ooh, old song being sampled (I thought to myself in 1990).

There were 10 years and a couple of months between the original Clash song and the sample use (December 1979 to February 1990). The Beats International song is now over 25 years old. Trying to get my head around that concept is weird for me, because I was born in 1970 so 25 years before that ...well, WW2 was still ongoing.

exoren22

Postby exoren22 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:23 pm UTC

Anyone else annoyed at 90's rather than '90s?

Sadgrinner wrote:Not a fan of this one. With advancing maternal age (The cdc site indicates that the mean age at first birth is 26.0 years, but I can't post links), the average age of those giving birth for the first time will mean new mothers were born in 1989 (or 1990 for this comic's purposes).

I just took this comic as taking place in the future. It solves all this "Randall's a hack now" bulllshit.
(I know you didn't say that, just someone probably will)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:31 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I find the phrase "median age at first birth" misleading.

Sounds like you were right at the median, then! I was, too!

If you happen to believe in reincarnation, you were probably zero at most of your births.

Also, while, the median is probably still zero, the average is a bit higher...

Pfhorrest wrote:How long until "classic dubstep" stations are a thing

Probably never. You need a big enough (paying) audience for a "classic X" station to exist. That's why there are (virtually?) no "classic progressive rock" or "classic NWOBHM" stations; too niche. Those songs just pop up once in a while on regular "classic rock" stations.

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:19 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:I find the phrase "median age at first birth" misleading.

Me too. We should start a club.

exoren22 wrote:Anyone else annoyed at 90's rather than '90s?

I prefer 90s, myself. No apostrophe anywhere. I think 90's is the most common, even though I naturally think "90 is what? Or what does 90 possess?"
Last edited by WilliamLehnsherr on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:25 am UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:We should start a club.

I would tell you that we already did, except that that would violate two rules of the hypothetical club I'm not telling you about.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:04 am UTC

Hey man, is that Freedom Rock?

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:01 am UTC

Oh, me, in spades.

My next band is going to be called The Grocer's Apostrophe, and woe betide anyone who messes it up on the posters.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:31 am UTC

sfmans wrote:

Oh, me, in spades.

My next band is going to be called The Grocer's Apostrophe, and woe betide anyone who messes it up on the posters.

The grocer's a what?

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:38 am UTC

a postrophe, obviously. Please pay attention >.>
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

HES

Postby HES » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:08 am UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:Or what does 90 possess?"

All the children born in it.
He/Him/His Image

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:26 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:Surely all these things should be, "You're a 70s or 90s kid if you remember . . ." as the 70s kids would watch the show while looking after their children who are 90s kids?

This whole nostalgia thing needs rethinking.

(Edited to try make it make sense to myself. Not sure I succeeded)

I think there's something in this: there is longer between generations than the period of a decade or so during which one is a core member of the prevailing youth culture. But you are inevitably exposed to your parents' youth culture and they are exposed to yours, so you get a kind of interleaving of the generations: that's to say that successive generations of a given family are separated by two "generations" of youth culture.

My parents, whose youth era was the 60s, never believed the 70s would every be seen as a classic era or that the music would ever be revered or celebrated. Of course now I know differently: my folks were in their early parental stage and just weren't that engaged with it. For me, the 90s were the wonder years and I can't believe everyone doesn't just think the 80s are best forgotten. Recently my mum has got massively into Queen, to a bizarrely revisionist extent. She actually claims that my Queen CDs, which are now in her possession, were hers all along.

OK, my examples don't really relate to my thesis. I'm just going to post this anyway...

LukeWebber

Postby LukeWebber » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:15 pm UTC

Hey, I have fond memories of Rug Rats, and I'm a fifties kid. Of course, my youngest is a nineties kid, so I've got that going for me.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:57 am UTC

I've never really understood the whole "identify as a member of a generation" deal. I didn't really get along with my peers or like much of my generation's pop culture.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

yakkoTDI

Postby yakkoTDI » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:17 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:I look forward to the day. But then again, I still remix stuff like this

I remember when Beats International (Fatboy Slim. Norman Cook. That guy) sampled "The Guns Of Brixton" by The Clash as the bassline for "Dub Be Good To Me". Ooh, old song being sampled (I thought to myself in 1990).

There were 10 years and a couple of months between the original Clash song and the sample use (December 1979 to February 1990). The Beats International song is now over 25 years old. Trying to get my head around that concept is weird for me, because I was born in 1970 so 25 years before that ...well, WW2 was still ongoing.

I still have the cassette single for Dub Be Good To Me(no cassette player though). I just was recently reminded of how great that song is and bought the CD from an online auction website. Sadly the rest of the album was not as good.

I like your mix. I have a few of those songs on this stuff called vinyl. :D

All_¥our_Bass

Postby All_¥our_Bass » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:53 am UTC

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:21 am UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:I've never really understood the whole "identify as a member of a generation" deal. I didn't really get along with my peers or like much of my generation's pop culture.

If you're my age (mid-fifties), you think of the song "Deep Purple" as a Nino Tempo & April Stevens song.

If you're a couple of years older than me, you think of it as a Les Paul & Mary Ford song.

If you're a couple of years younger than me, you think of it as a Donny and Marie song.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:45 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:If you're my age (mid-fifties), you think of the song "Deep Purple" as a Nino Tempo & April Stevens song.

If you're a couple of years older than me, you think of it as a Les Paul & Mary Ford song.

If you're a couple of years younger than me, you think of it as a Donny and Marie song.

How young do you have to be to think of it as that song from Guitar Hero?

You know, the one that about "Slow Uncle Water, the fire engine guy" ?

(Seriously though, I had never heard of the song, nor any of the bands, that you mentioned... except for Donny and Marie being mentioned on Family Guy and by Weird Al)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:53 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:As far as the median is concerned, it doesn't matter how long the women in the upper half (semile?) of the population delay it
Correction: the older half of the population is known as the senile.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”