1564: "Every Seven Seconds"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

leeharveyosmond

1564: "Every Seven Seconds"

Postby leeharveyosmond » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:41 pm UTC

Alt text: "Every few months, I think about sex every seven seconds and how weird and implausible it would be."

Keyman

Re: 1564: "Every Seven Seconds"

Postby Keyman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:44 pm UTC

Well, maybe, if you add up all the time, and take an average... it's one/seventh of all the seconds? :wink:
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:45 pm UTC

Please. It's empirically impossible to prove that men think about sex every seven sloppy seconds.

lazyusername

Postby lazyusername » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:52 pm UTC

Every so often I think about that made up statistic about how many spiders you supposedly eat in your sleep every year. Things like this bother me way more than they should.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:08 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Please. It's empirically impossible to prove that men think about sex every seven sloppy seconds.

That is consistent with the claim I've also seen that each such "session" lasts an average of seven seconds.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:14 pm UTC

It's a bit like The Game. Which I just lost, and I was on a several-month-long winning streak, too.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

wormspeaker

Postby wormspeaker » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:22 pm UTC

I only have one thought about sex every day. It starts when I wake up, and continues until after I fall asleep.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:46 pm UTC

Or you could refer back to a poster I saw in some souvenir shop. It was a Warhol-style color halftone of a early 60's mom and daughter in their kitchen.

Daughter: Is sex the only thing on men's minds, Mom?
Mother: Men don't have minds, dear.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

HES

Postby HES » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:48 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:It's a bit like The Game. Which I just lost, and I was on a several-month-long winning streak, too.

https://xkcd.com/391/
He/Him/His Image

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:50 pm UTC

It also reminds me of a book a friend of mine found a few years ago. "What men think about besides sex".

Every single page was blank.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

speising

Postby speising » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:15 pm UTC

Sexism. Always great fun.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:41 pm UTC

Ok, if it's not true, then explain why basically every response so far has focused on the sex part, rather than the made-up-sociology-statistics part! Aren't there some other xkcd strips about made-up pseudo-science we could be comparing this to?

In the mean time, here's the SMBC I was reminded of: http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=3811

(It's about grief, not sex. Geeze, you pervs!) :roll:

p.s. if none of you can explain the actual most-likely reason that (nearly) every response so far has focused on sex, I suppose I'll have to come back and explain it myself. Later.

p.p.s. Assuming I'm not banned for linking to Somebody Else's Comic. :wink:
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Kailen

Postby Kailen » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:13 pm UTC

It's OK though, because we only use ten percent of our brain to think about it.
* These senseless ramblings brought to you by Insanity™. If you just can't figure the dang thing out, it must be Insanity™.

Locoluis

Postby Locoluis » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

Who did read your thoughts? Is there a machine so powerful as to be able to record and analyze every thought of a single human being?

Belief in such a statistic implies the belief in a kind of thought police. That people like you and me already have access to your deepest secrets, even those that have never seen the light of day, even those you have never put to writing or shared with the Internet.

Such power is not suitable for a flawed mortal, a fellow human being. It would put them above all humanity, above good and evil, able to abuse and play with everyone as a child plays with dirt. And they would make unfair judges, unable to see their own flaws, foolishly believing their will to be absolute and infallible, equalling themselves to gods.

The power of this meme is that it makes men feel naked, as though their intimacy was of public knowledge, a matter of scrutiny, as though it was the difference between gentlemen and pigs...

BIG MAN, PIG MAN, HA HA, CHARADE YOU ARE

*ahem*

Look out there. No one is watching your every step. No one cares that much. It's not quite so important. Even in the age of information, of Facebook, Twitter, Google and many other data-hungry behemoths, you still can be the master of your silence.

No one can take away that right from you. No one except yourself. But oh how people love to gloat.

“I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.” - Winston Churchill
Last edited by Locoluis on Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sueños del Sur - A webcomic about four siblings, their family, friends, adventures and dreams.
http://sds.lgm.cl/

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

Because, compared to jokes about pseudo-science, sex jokes are funnier and easier.

Spoiler:
Like your mom. :D

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:15 pm UTC

Locoluis wrote:Even in the age of information, of Facebook, Twitter, Google and many other data-hungry behemoths, you still can be the master of your silence.

This is very hard to do. I, too, had given in to the peer pressure to make use of whatsapp, and now that facebook has bought the company, my existence, relations and consequently interests are known to facebook without me even having a profile on their site. :(

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:16 pm UTC

“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex". -Aldous Huxley
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:30 pm UTC

I don't think about sex every seven seconds. Sex every seven seconds would be exhausting and boring after awhile.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:56 pm UTC

It depends a lot on what you mean by "think" and what you mean by "sex". I'm certain that some parts of my brain are in some way concerned with sex all the time. My body constantly monitors my sperm levels and other sensory input and this information modulates the way in which I respond to visual and other stimuli. I find women more attractive and more distracting if I'm "carrying a loaded gun" as I once heard it described. Most of that has to be happening in my brain, but does it count as thought? Presumably the factoid is intended to refer to conscious thoughts, but whilst we have a sort of vague subjective idea of what we mean by that, I'm not convinced that it's defined anything like well enough for the statement to even have a meaning. And as soon as you give somebody a button to push every time they think about sex, you're probably going to find what would have been subconscious mental responses surfacing as conscious thoughts. Especially if the button is shaped like a clitoris.

jc

Postby jc » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:32 pm UTC

Locoluis wrote:Who did read your thoughts? Is there a machine so powerful as to be able to record and analyze every thought of a single human being?

Belief in such a statistic implies the belief in a kind of thought police. That people like you and me already have access to your deepest secrets, even those that have never seen the light of day, even those you have never put to writing or shared with the Internet.

We should perhaps note that a lot of people do believe in just such a global overseer, though they don't call it a machine or thought police. They call it God. And to the True Believers, it's every bit as terrifying as you imagine. It goes with the concept of Universal (or Original) Sin, which you were created with and you can't avoid no matter how strongly you believe. If you ever even have an "unclean" thought (i.e., one involving sex), you are forever damned, unless you sincerely beg their God for forgiveness.

Of course, they've never been able to present a shred of evidence that such a being exists; they just claim that by doubting, you've lost everything, because their God knows your every thought.

To followers of such religions, the idea of an all-knowing machine is insignificant, since it's merely a weak imitation of their God. Such a machine would be built by us humans, and we could presumably build in some defenses against an AI apocalypse. But there is no defense against their God.

(The fun part of this is that there are several such religions, all of which predict eternal torture for the followers of all their competitor religions. When asked how one might reliably determine which one's God actually exists, so we can worship the right one, they never answer the question; they merely assert that it's their own God that's real. For more reading, google "Pascal's wager".)

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:42 pm UTC

Locoluis wrote:Who did read your thoughts? Is there a machine so powerful as to be able to record and analyze every thought of a single human being?

There are scanners that can make crude, blurry maps of how active different regions in the brain are at a certain instant. It's very far from reading thoughts but it can give some insight into how the brain reacts to various inputs. As well as I can remember what I once read, some researchers identified a region that seemed to be involved in sexual arousal, and found that that region lit up every seven seconds on average. Then, I presume, some reporter who didn't understand much of the study spun it as "Men think about sex every seven seconds." Of course there is no ground for assuming that a burst of activity in a cluster of neurons is the same as a conscious thought.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:14 pm UTC

jc wrote:(The fun part of this is that there are several such religions, all of which predict eternal torture for the followers of all their competitor religions. When asked how one might reliably determine which one's God actually exists, so we can worship the right one, they never answer the question; they merely assert that it's their own God that's real. For more reading, google "Pascal's wager".)

Actually, at least some will point you to recorded trials - like the one about which god will set fire to an altar. Others will argue that it doesn't matter which name you use when you worship - what matters is that you live right.

ctdonath

Postby ctdonath » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:22 pm UTC

Locoluis wrote:Who did read your thoughts?

Arthur: "You mean you can read my mind?"
Marvin: "Yes."
Arthur: "And...?"
Marvin: "It amazes me you manage to live in anything that small."

Locoluis

Postby Locoluis » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:40 pm UTC

jc wrote:

We should perhaps note that a lot of people do believe in just such a global overseer, though they don't call it a machine or thought police. They call it God.

I don't mean God. I believe in God and trust Him.

I mean other people. People are mean.

If you ever even have an "unclean" thought (i.e., one involving sex), you are forever damned, unless you sincerely beg their God for forgiveness.

We're all weak and flawed and prone to temptation; it's unrealistic to pretend to keep a clean slate at all times. I don't believe in a God that demands perfection or else, because such thing is beyond our human capabilities. I believe that we have to be humble and entrust ourselves to God, to ask him to help us overcome these things, because we can't do it on our own. But I didn't come here to preach.

(The fun part of this is that there are several such religions, all of which predict eternal torture for the followers of all their competitor religions. When asked how one might reliably determine which one's God actually exists, so we can worship the right one, they never answer the question; they merely assert that it's their own God that's real. For more reading, google "Pascal's wager".)

My stance on this one is that no human can claim to possess the Absolute Truth™, and that no one has any right to predict such a thing. To claim that anyone is going to be "eternally damned" for their beliefs is the ultimate unjust accusation.
Sueños del Sur - A webcomic about four siblings, their family, friends, adventures and dreams.
http://sds.lgm.cl/

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:41 pm UTC

karhell wrote:It also reminds me of a book a friend of mine found a few years ago. "What men think about besides sex".

I saw one about 'What men have learned about women'. It was equally blank inside.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

jc

Postby jc » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:42 pm UTC

Locoluis wrote:
If you ever even have an "unclean" thought (i.e., one involving sex), you are forever damned, unless you sincerely beg their God for forgiveness.

We're all weak and flawed and prone to temptation; it's unrealistic to pretend to keep a clean slate at all times. I don't believe in a God that demands perfection or else, because such thing is beyond our human capabilities. I believe that we have to be humble and entrust ourselves to God, to ask him to help us overcome these things, because we can't do it on our own. But I didn't come here to preach.

My stance on this one is that no human can claim to possess the Absolute Truth™, and that no one has any right to predict such a thing. To claim that anyone is going to be "eternally damned" for their beliefs is the ultimate unjust accusation.

Understood. But note that there are many others who wouldn't agree with you at all. Their God (if He is the one that exists) will in fact damn you for eternity if you don't believe in Him and follow his every whim. And that God does supposedly know your innermost thoughts, so you can't try to get out of it by being reasonable.

For the purpose of the current discussion (involving a hypothetical machine/being who can read your thoughts), that's really all that's relevant. Such a God wouldn't care how nice a guy you are. He'd punish you for a wayward thought that violated some "commandment" in (some translation of) a book that you hadn't read in its entirety. Or maybe you read it, but fell asleep during that passage. ;-)

jc

Postby jc » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:52 pm UTC

xtifr wrote:Ok, if it's not true, then explain why basically every response so far has focused on the sex part, rather than the made-up-sociology-statistics part! Aren't there some other xkcd strips about made-up pseudo-science we could be comparing this to?:

Hey, that was the first thing I thought of. But you beat me to it. ;-)

My thought was to mention some of the oft-quoted quotes to the effect that 83.7% of all statistics are just made up. Or is it 87.3%; I can't quite remember.

I do remember reading the version that google seems to like, "42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot", which is actually compatible with the above numbers when we consider the "on the spot" phrase. This would imply that somewhat over 40% of all statistics are made up, not on the spot, but after some deliberation (or by plagiarizing from others).

Of course, it's understandable why people might focus on the sex part. Sex is generally more fun than statistics, after all.

But we're all nerds and geeks here, right? Maybe we can derail the sex discussion into one about bogus statistics.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:39 pm UTC

jc wrote:But we're all nerds and geeks here, right? Maybe we can derail the sex discussion into one about bogus statistics.

As you've probably noticed, we can derail the discussion into a religious one! :lol:

Also, after a literature study, it was found out that as much as 95% of statistics are made up.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:52 am UTC

ITT: people who would rather discuss how much they misunderstand Christianity than sex. Fair enough.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:04 am UTC

karhell wrote:It also reminds me of a book a friend of mine found a few years ago. "What men think about besides sex".

Hey, we do think about food and sleep too! :D

xtifr wrote:Ok, if it's not true, then explain why basically every response so far has focused on the sex part, rather than the made-up-sociology-statistics part! Aren't there some other xkcd strips about made-up pseudo-science we could be comparing this to?

Because there may be a grain of truth to it in that we think about sex far more than we are willing to admit, even if the "seven seconds" number is bogus?

Then again, from an evolutionary perspective, ensuring that you produce offspring and ensuring that enough of them will survive are the highest priorities in life besides keeping yourself from dying. Those who had no interest in reproducing failed to leave any copies of their genes behind when they died, and thus selected themselves out of the gene pool. Thus it is only appropriate that we be obsessed with it.

J%r

Postby J%r » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:18 pm UTC

I remember hearing that in school once. And the subjects had to speak all their thoughts aloud.

I bet it went like:
Ok, speaking all my thoughts aloud.
All my thoughts...
Better not think about sex.
Better not think about sex.
Yeah now I'm thinking of it.
Otherwise that hot/cute researcher might think I'm a perv.
But she does have nice ....
Dinosaurs!
Raptor
Flintstones
Rocks
Rock & Roll
Sex, drugs and rock and roll.

I suppose if you're aware people can read your thoughts, you try to avoid thinking about certain subjects, which in turn makes you think about those even more.

nowhereman

Postby nowhereman » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:31 pm UTC

xtifr wrote:Ok, if it's not true, then explain why basically every response so far has focused on the sex part, rather than the made-up-sociology-statistics part! Aren't there some other xkcd strips about made-up pseudo-science we could be comparing this to?

In the mean time, here's the SMBC I was reminded of: http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=3811

(It's about grief, not sex. Geeze, you pervs!) :roll:

p.s. if none of you can explain the actual most-likely reason that (nearly) every response so far has focused on sex, I suppose I'll have to come back and explain it myself. Later.

p.p.s. Assuming I'm not banned for linking to Somebody Else's Comic. :wink:

Actually, the first thing I thought while reading this was "Why does Randall think that the guy thinking about this question would be a sociologist? I mean this is clearly a cognitive psychologist. He is even trying to come up with a way to measure that. Does he not know what a sociologist does?" Though to be fair, I am a cognitive psychologist, so I really do think about questions like this. Though not this one, because it is just plainly wrong and therefore uninteresting. Clearly what we think about is correlated with what we are doing. If a friend asks me to order pizza, I am not thinking "Well I can afford two pepperoni and boob pizzas, but can I afford the garlic fingers as well?"

I can forgive Randall though. My family has no idea what I do for a living and I expect the same is true for sociologists.

jc wrote:
xtifr wrote:Ok, if it's not true, then explain why basically every response so far has focused on the sex part, rather than the made-up-sociology-statistics part! Aren't there some other xkcd strips about made-up pseudo-science we could be comparing this to?:

Hey, that was the first thing I thought of. But you beat me to it. ;-)

My thought was to mention some of the oft-quoted quotes to the effect that 83.7% of all statistics are just made up. Or is it 87.3%; I can't quite remember.

I do remember reading the version that google seems to like, "42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot", which is actually compatible with the above numbers when we consider the "on the spot" phrase. This would imply that somewhat over 40% of all statistics are made up, not on the spot, but after some deliberation (or by plagiarizing from others).

Of course, it's understandable why people might focus on the sex part. Sex is generally more fun than statistics, after all.

But we're all nerds and geeks here, right? Maybe we can derail the sex discussion into one about bogus statistics.

It would be interesting to find out just how many statistics are made up on the spot. The first problem would be operationalizing the meaning of "making up statistics". Should we include any example of errors in remembering a statistic (thinking men score 5pts higher on average on some test when it is women who score 5pts higher than men)? Should we include only gross errors? Should it be nothing but statistics that the individual clearly has no knowledge about? Another question is what counts as a statistic? Surely we don't what to count as a statistic the phrase "Almost everyone hated the new Fantastic Four movie". However, saying that this phrase should be left out brings up the question of how specific a statistic needs to be to be considered a statistic? This is important because when someone quotes a statistic, we assume some level of precision. Sure, it is highly unlikely that exactly 43% of all homicides happen in low SES areas, but when we hear that statistic, we assume it is close to that number. If someone uses a qualifier like around in a statistic, it is hard to call it a statistic.

Any thoughts?

Kailen wrote:It's OK though, because we only use ten percent of our brain to think about it.

I don't know who you are, but I will find you...
"God does not play dice with... Yahtzee!" - Little known quote from Einstein

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:08 am UTC

It has now been about 70 hours since the start of this thread.

I hope all my fellow men have kept up, and thought about sex 36,000 times since then?

(I assume we have to dream about it every 7 seconds while asleep, too. If that's not the case, then maybe only 23 or 24 thousand times.)

Actually, closer to 69 hours. There's one more!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:34 pm UTC

I went the whole weekend without thinking about this comic.

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:11 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:[snip] Especially if the button is shaped like a clitoris.

But then how does the test subject find the button?

orthogon wrote:It's a bit like The Game. Which I just lost, and I was on a several-month-long winning streak, too.

How dare you.

Related: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZWmbWrMwqo

Maybe the statistic refers to men as a whole? (And the thinking is like deep philosophical thought) works out to once every 17 years or so per person, seems legit right?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

Eshru wrote:
orthogon wrote:[snip] Especially if the button is shaped like a clitoris.

But then how does the test subject find the button?

:lol: Last time I made that gag on here it got a pretty lukewarm reception...
Eshru wrote:

How dare you.

Sorry, but my understanding of the rules is that I'm obliged to make that declaration.
Eshru wrote:Maybe the statistic refers to men as a whole? (And the thinking is like deep philosophical thought) works out to once every 17 years or so per person, seems legit right?

Thinking deeply and philosophically about sex is a really bad idea. It's best not to dwell on the ludicrous activity itself, and as for its bizarre relationship to romantic love on the one hand and reproduction on the other - seriously, just don't go there.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”