1572: "xkcd Survey"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhomboidal

1572: "xkcd Survey"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:01 am UTC

Survey Link

Title Text: The xkcd Survey: Big Data for a Big Planet

I hope I turn out to be special like everyone else.

groszdani

Re: 1572: "xkcd Survey"

Postby groszdani » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:02 am UTC

"Do you spend a lot of time in the sun?"

English is not my mother tongue. Does this mean what I think it means?

lorb

Postby lorb » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:04 am UTC

The (Check all that apply) should have a "none" option to distinguish people for which none of the options apply from people who don't want to answer that particular question.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

Athanasius

Postby Athanasius » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:05 am UTC

So, did anyone else accidentally submit the form whilst mashing the keyboard for that one question? I did, and as a result I went back, said that I'd done that in the middle of that field and continued.

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:19 am UTC

@groszdani: It means, "Do you spend a lot of time in the sunshine." Not, "Do you spend a lot of time inside the outer boundary of the nearest star."

On another note, it's not easy to fill that box with random text when one has vimfx installed!

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:26 am UTC

'Fill this text box with gibberish by mashing random keyboard keys' would be more suitable as the last question. I caused the form to submit prematurely as well, so started again. Play with that, data geeks! I also managed to pause the music I was listening to, type the number 90 in the Google search box in the next tab I had open, accidentally select 'no' on the food allergies question, and hit the bookmark page shortcut.
Last edited by Bloopy on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:27 am UTC

groszdani wrote:"Do you spend a lot of time in the sun?"

English is not my mother tongue. Does this mean what I think it means?

Probably not. "in" != "inside" in this context.

Statistician gripe: it's impossible for us to come up with random words, even selecting from the words we know. THere are two many subconscious and conscious biases for us to choose randomly.

But I bet I wasn't the only one who included 'correct horse battery staple.'

I was surprised that none of the fastest 5 animal names I came up with was a bird, seeing as I"m an avid birder. That must mean something :-) .

I loved the "on a scale of 1 to 5 which is your favorite number?" Talk about self-contradictory referencing!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:27 am UTC

I had a lot of fun filling up the text box.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:28 am UTC

Bloopy wrote:'Fill this text box with gibberish by mashing random keyboard keys' would be more suitable as the last question. I caused the form to submit prematurely, so started again. Play with that, data geeks! I also managed to pause the music I was listening to, type the number 90 in the Google search box in the next tab I had open, accidentally select 'no' on the food allergies question, and hit the bookmark page shortcut.

I managed to reduce my screen brightness to near zero.

testrider

Postby testrider » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:38 am UTC

Literally the last two things that I did right before this survey were shopping for underwear, and telling someone how nice it is to have all of one kind.

Needless to say, the last question freaked me out!!

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:46 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:I loved the "on a scale of 1 to 5 which is your favorite number?" Talk about self-contradictory referencing!

If you have a scale with integers from one to five on them, which would be your favorite?

Considering "two is better than one" and "two's a party, but three is a crowd", I chose 2.
There are also just two lights, though you're seeing four because you have two eyes. (I guess those aliens had an underdeveloped third eye)

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:48 am UTC

I'll be honest... I didn't FILL the texbox. It was only half full. I feel that was outweighed by my expert use of the shift key to increase my mashing range, however.

Also, two of my responses I'm going to share, since I didn't sign any confidentiality thing.

xkcd 51.png
xkcd 51.png (2.7 KiB) Viewed 31709 times

xkcd 50.png
xkcd 50.png (6.91 KiB) Viewed 31709 times

(oh nooo, now i can be.... located)
Last edited by Reecer6 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:50 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:[...]
Statistician gripe: it's impossible for us to come up with random words, even selecting from the words we know. THere are two many subconscious and conscious biases for us to choose randomly.

But I bet I wasn't the only one who included 'correct horse battery staple.'

I was surprised that none of the fastest 5 animal names I came up with was a bird, seeing as I"m an avid birder. That must mean something :-) .

I loved the "on a scale of 1 to 5 which is your favorite number?" Talk about self-contradictory referencing!

In the random words question I just entered the first ones that came to mind, two of these were words I used as answers in a previous question.

And one of the first animals that I thought of with was a dingo, where did that come from?!?

roband

Postby roband » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:58 am UTC

Flotter wrote:And one of the first animals that I thought of with was a dingo, where did that come from?!?

For some unknown reason, I thought of "monkfish"... Not a clue.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:01 pm UTC

My random words were random in as much as they were a random selection from a small set of engineering terms that spellcheckers keep insisting aren't words and my field insists otherwise.
He/Him/His Image

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:02 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I loved the "on a scale of 1 to 5 which is your favorite number?" Talk about self-contradictory referencing!

I loved the question but spent ages thinking about my answer. I mean, I love all those numbers, it's so hard to choose.

1 is the multiplicative identity, it's related to great desirable things like unity; it's the number of known inhabited planets; it's half of all the binary digits...
2 is the highest even prime (not including 8), it's the base of binary, which is by far the coolest base; it's what it takes [to tango]...
3 is the smallest odd prime (not including 1); it's the magic number; it's the number of beats in the bar of one of my favourite songs, Waltz for Debby; it's the only number of legs that will make a table stable but not wobbly...
4 is obviously a strong contender: it's a power of two; it's my immediate family; it's a square number and the number of sides in a square; it's the number of beats in the bar of one of my favourite songs, Waltz for Debby...
5 is the weakest candidate; it's the number of beats in the bar of Take Five, the first jazz tune I ever heard; but as a number of days in the working week it's annoyingly prime; it's the number of fingers on one hand but only if you count the thumb as a finger; it's half of ten but is odd...

(braces for flame war from the pentophiles)

ETA: I think I went for 4 in the end.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:04 pm UTC

I had trouble spelling my frequently misspelled word....

It's occasionally.

Still can't spell it in this post :P
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:06 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I had trouble spelling my frequently misspelled word....

It's occasionally.

Me too. Manoeuvre. Damn, had to resort to spellcheck yet again.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:08 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

I loved the question but spent ages thinking about my answer. I mean, I love all those numbers, it's so hard to choose.

1 is the multiplicative identity, it's related to great desirable things like unity; it's the number of known inhabited planets; it's half of all the binary digits...
2 is the highest even prime (not including 8), it's the base of binary, which is by far the coolest base; it's what it takes [to tango]...
3 is the smallest odd prime (not including 1); it's the magic number; it's the number of beats in the bar of one of my favourite songs, Waltz for Debby; it's the only number of legs that will make a table stable but not wobbly...
4 is obviously a strong contender: it's a power of two; it's my immediate family; it's a square number and the number of sides in a square; it's the number of beats in the bar of one of my favourite songs, Waltz for Debby...
5 is the weakest candidate; it's the number of beats in the bar of Take Five, the first jazz tune I ever heard; but as a number of days in the working week it's annoyingly prime; it's the number of fingers on one hand but only if you count the thumb as a finger; it's half of ten but is odd...

(braces for flame war from the pentophiles)

ETA: I think I went for 4 in the end.

I went for three, because I like the sound of the word best :)

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:08 pm UTC

I sadly have to admit that I could only think of one animal off the top of my head (Eric Burdon). I hope it was okay to google the rest.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

fjgumby

Postby fjgumby » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:17 pm UTC

I, too, accidentally submitted the form early while mashing keys, with the field maybe 20% full. Might try again later; now, I need to start my day.
I note that, after a couple of earlier jumps-to-elsewhere during the key-mashing process, I'd altered my pattern to stay away from function keys. Could be I hit ENTER, but it's a multi-line text box, and hitting ENTER between animals hadn't resulted in a form submission. Is there a JavaScript trap lurking in the random-text box, was I just clumsy, or did one of the cats click a mouse button while I wasn't looking?

Kaelin

Postby Kaelin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:17 pm UTC

I saw a spurious correlations website before, but it'll be fun to see the results we get here.

I'm also going to borrow the results (if possible) for the Statistics classes I'm teaching.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:25 pm UTC

4 is obviously the best number:
I rest my case.

Plus there's 4 letters in xkcd ---- wait, Randall Munroe is really Tom Baker? :shock: It all fits!
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

doglover

Postby doglover » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

It's occasionally.

"Unfortunately" was mine. My fingers always go faster than my brain when I type that one...

HES

Postby HES » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:34 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Manoeuvre

No word should have that many vowels in a row.
He/Him/His Image

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:38 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

It's occasionally.

Yeah, you spelt it very weirdly. It's supposed to be maneuver.

So, was anyone else bothered by the fact that the "pick a number between 1 and 100" field only accepted integers? My first choice was 17 pi...
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

homsar

Postby homsar » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:40 pm UTC

Bloopy wrote:'Fill this text box with gibberish by mashing random keyboard keys' would be more suitable as the last question. I caused the form to submit prematurely as well, so started again. Play with that, data geeks! I also managed to pause the music I was listening to, type the number 90 in the Google search box in the next tab I had open, accidentally select 'no' on the food allergies question, and hit the bookmark page shortcut.

I managed to fill in two other questions, and almost printed the survey on the office printer. (The only thing that stopped it was that there was an invalid number of copies. Probably ], as that was coming up in the gibberish quite a lot.)

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:41 pm UTC

did no one else type 'five random words' when it said to type five random words?

Guess it was just me then. :oops:
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:43 pm UTC

I couldn't think of any words I always misspell on the first try off the top of my head. That sort of familiarity would hopefully prevent me from misspelling them! I scrolled through a long list of difficult-to-spell words and picked one that I thought I knew but would've spelled wrong on every try. At least up until I learnt it after a few more attempts just now.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:43 pm UTC

doglover wrote:
orthogon wrote:

It's occasionally.

"Unfortunately" was mine. My fingers always go faster than my brain when I type that one...

That's an interesting point: manoeuvre is a word I find hard to spell even given arbitrary time to think about it, but the word I misspell the most frequently despite knowing perfectly well how to spell it could easily be something like teh. And thanks to years of C/C++ programming, words ending -in are tricky: it's almost impossible for me not to add a "t".

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:44 pm UTC

It's occasionally.

I put in my (real-world) last name. Actually I can spell it right, but nobody else can, so what the hey. :twisted:

And to whoever that was who was bitchingXXXXXX being mustardy about spellcheckers rejecting his techie words -- didn'tcha nevva hear of Custom Dictionary? :D
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:45 pm UTC

Tommorow tomorrow

I don't know why I do this.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:45 pm UTC

It's occasionally.

That was mine, too. And, yeah, I also misspelled it on the survey. :(
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:46 pm UTC

...so did anyone else, on being asked for five random words, start trying to hook a random number generator up to a dictionary?
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:54 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:did no one else type 'five random words' when it said to type five random words?

Guess it was just me then. :oops:

No...that's good though. But I did type "cat" - quotes included.

So, who checked (and believed they knew) all the words that they knew?

"Filling the box my mashing keys".....seems specifically aimed at keyboard, i.e. PC or MAC, use. Not mobile devices. It was evil too....

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

teh (opps)
opps (or is it oops?)
caffiene (i, e, c...shit!) - and I'm a chemist! 1,3,7-Trimethylpurine-2,6-dione !!!!
vaccum (there are odd double letters in there somewhere)
lose or loose or loss....those are the same, right? At least they are spelled correctly!!!

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:01 pm UTC

The_Alchemist wrote:"Filling the box my mashing keys".....seems specifically aimed at keyboard, i.e. PC or MAC, use. Not mobile devices. It was evil too....

While reading this, an image of a keyring being mashed against a touchscreen came to mind.

littledman

Postby littledman » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:03 pm UTC

Anyone notice you can have an integer number of siblings?

How many twin/etc siblings do you have? -1

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:14 pm UTC

Are you a cat person?
Are you a dog person?

But, I'm a bird.

Beavertails

Postby Beavertails » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:16 pm UTC

First 1-100: 97

"cat": "cat"

Speeling: definitely

Second 1-100: 11

1-5: 5
flicky1991 wrote:Forum Games: Beavertails likes pie.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”