1572: "xkcd Survey"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ScatteredRay

Re: 1572: "xkcd Survey"

Postby ScatteredRay » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:40 pm UTC

Have you ever thrown out all your different pairs of socks/underwear, bought a bunch of replacements that were all one kind, and then told all your friends how great it was and how they should do it too?

I tried to do this with my socks, instead I must've gotten one pack that is a different size. So now I have some rogue socks among the rest, that are entirely indistinguishable from the rest until I put them on. Then one goes up to my knee, and the other not half as high. This plan backfired in the worst way possible and my mornings are very trying now.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:43 pm UTC

doglover wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Angua wrote:I had trouble spelling my frequently misspelled word....

It's occasionally.

Still can't spell it in this post :P

Me too. Manoeuvre. Damn, had to resort to spellcheck yet again.

"Unfortunately" was mine. My fingers always go faster than my brain when I type that one...

"Balloon." One L or two!? (Also I occasionally get confused and decide that continental Europe is right and there's only one O. I blame Nena.) "Vacuum" was a close contender.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

cantab314

Postby cantab314 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:54 pm UTC

I'm yet another who can't spell manouvre to save my life. And yes, I end up needing to type it because Kerbal.

I wonder how many people will put in approximations of numbers like pi, e, phi, and so on? The form fields didn't take "pi" or "π" but it did take "3.14159265359".

Also, in response to being asked to mash my keyboard, I responded "Why?".

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:57 pm UTC

Talking of strange lists and strange words, how about this:

Are there any words which are their own definition? I thought of "self-explanatory" but that's kind of the opposite.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

bcolladay

Postby bcolladay » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:57 pm UTC

Did everyone get the replacement underwear question? I feel like this was somehow gleaned from social media. I just did this. Got 9 pair of my new favorite socks and told someone else how great they were on Facebook and that they needed to do the same.
Last edited by bcolladay on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

deskjethp

Postby deskjethp » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:23 pm UTC

1-100: 6
1-100: v2: 6
"cat"
nervous? no
Drink: water, milk
Not drink: beer
phone: non-smartphone
emoji: neutral (what ever happened to 'emoticons'?)
brocolli: no
sleepy: yes
colds: no
floaters: Constantly ( help :( )
stay awake: yes
roll tongue: yes
Sandwich: all but open faced
arbivark wrote:when i was first a tenant at 19, i was probably a nuisance .. a bother, to the landlord because i'd do stuff like, hey there's a fireplace here, get me a hammer, hey if i make a hole in my ceiling there's an attic that runs the length of the rowhouses.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:25 pm UTC

I drew a blank when it came to mis-spelled words, so left it blank - with hindsight, I should have gone with "teh" - not necessarily the word I mis-spell the highest proportion of the times I use it, but undoubtedly the word I mis-spell most often in absolute terms.

lukewarm

Postby lukewarm » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:29 pm UTC

Why doesn't "Pick a number" field accept hexadecimal?!
And why "How old" is numeric anyway? Can't one be "very old", "not very old", "older than you think", etc.?
:x

xienwolf

Postby xienwolf » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:34 pm UTC

Athanasius wrote:So, did anyone else accidentally submit the form whilst mashing the keyboard for that one question? I did, and as a result I went back, said that I'd done that in the middle of that field and continued.

Did exactly that. But the submit button is now non-responsive, so I cannot actually post my remaining answers.

ert

Postby ert » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:49 pm UTC

"Oh, this won't take a minute," the man assured them. "I'm the official Senses Taker, and I must have some information before I can take your senses. Now, if you'll just tell me when you were born, where you were born, why you were born, how old you are now, how old you were then, how old you'll be in a little while, your mother's name, your father's name, your aunt's name, your uncle's name, your cousin's name, where you live, how long you've lived there, the schools you've attended, the schools you haven't attended, your hobbies, your telephone number, your shoe size, shirt size, collar size, hat size, and the names and addresses of six people who can verify all this information, we'll get started. One at a time, please; stand in line; and no pushing, no talking, no peeking."

- Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:05 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I drew a blank when it came to mis-spelled words, so left it blank - with hindsight, I should have gone with "teh" - not necessarily the word I mis-spell the highest proportion of the times I use it, but undoubtedly the word I mis-spell most often in absolute terms.

I went the opposite way - the only word I could think of that I can never remember how to spell is usury, on the few occasions in my life I have used it I always want to spell it ursury or usery.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:12 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:I drew a blank when it came to mis-spelled words, so left it blank - with hindsight, I should have gone with "teh" - not necessarily the word I mis-spell the highest proportion of the times I use it, but undoubtedly the word I mis-spell most often in absolute terms.

I went the opposite way - the only word I could think of that I can never remember how to spell is usury, on the few occasions in my life I have used it I always want to spell it ursury ...

That's lending money to bears at extortionate interest rates.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Mahnarch

Postby Mahnarch » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:23 pm UTC

Five animals

Giraffe
Elephant
Dog
Bird
Muppet

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:25 pm UTC

God help whoever decides to try and parse the data. How many variations can we have of: "'); DROP TABLE Results;--');"?

timepiece

Postby timepiece » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:39 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
The random gibberish one was fun but a bit frustrating. On my phone, the keyboard I use uses a custom layout designed for right-handed swiping, so the distribution of letters and letter combinations will be off from what one would expect from standard qwerty (or other popular) layouts.
I got impatient and didn't finish because the delay each time I hit space/enter was just obnoxious.

Ooh, I need to resubmit with my phone, which also uses a custom keyboard where some letters are straight taps and some require swiping. My entire gibberish set will consist of "anihortes " unless I acccidentally get some swipes in. I'd love to see the head tilt while someone tries to figure that out.

random username

Postby random username » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:45 pm UTC

Please tell me... Why the the heck does Randall name this survey "anonymous" if it's hosted by Google? That makes no sense to me.

asheriel

Postby asheriel » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:56 pm UTC

How many twin/etc siblings do you have?

Is this asking if I have a twin, or if I have siblings that are twins? I'm guessing the former, but I don't trust my ability to parse the sentence atm.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:23 pm UTC

asheriel wrote:

Is this asking if I have a twin, or if I have siblings that are twins? I'm guessing the former, but I don't trust my ability to parse the sentence atm.

I'm assuming that it's asking if you have a twin/triplets/quintuplets/etc
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:26 pm UTC

Wait, the type-cat question is supposed to see whether people type the quotes or not?

Why would you ever type the quotes, unless they were escaped somehow? (E.g. "Please type '"cat"' here.") The quotes are part of the grammatical structure telling you what it is that you are to type: the word "cat". Without the quotes, the object of the verb "type" isn't the word "cat", it's a cat. "Please type cat here" isn't even a coherent sentence, unless "type cat" can be construed as some kind of complex verb phrase... or I guess if it's asking you to type a cat, though I'm not sure what that would mean (to identify what type of cat it is, perhaps?)

Use-mention distinction, people!
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:27 pm UTC

I am one more KSP player who can't spell how to drive a space car.
My people do get to go to space most days, even if the wrong end of the space car is sometimes pointing towards space for a little while on the way up.

cowtung

Postby cowtung » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:29 pm UTC

"How many older siblings do you have?"
For older siblings, I have only half-siblings. Do I count them as 1, 0.5 or 0 each?

"How many younger siblings do you have?"
For younger siblings I have full, half and step. How do I count the half and steps?

CPADave71

Postby CPADave71 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:44 pm UTC

Correct
Horse
Battery
Stapler
Password

Guaranteed to be the most common answers (they were mine).

Also, my misspelled word was "occasionally" as well. It's like we're a hive mind.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:17 pm UTC

I see it's possible to have negative numbers of siblings :shock:
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

senor_cardgage

Postby senor_cardgage » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:18 pm UTC

The question that asks how old are you doesn't specify a unit of measure.

Anyway, not wanting to give a round number of years, I decided to calculate my age to the day. I'm exactly 12,000 days old today.

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:25 pm UTC

"How old are you?" I estimated in seconds, 1956291280 seconds right now, and used birthday, rather than conception date, since I'm not sure about the party that occured at. I would have used Planck units, but could not fit all the numerals into the box.

Many of my heavier atoms originated in a supernova about 1.44e17 seconds ago. The Lambda-CDM concordance model says my protons appeared 4.35e17 seconds ago.

However, recent work on quark/strange stars and "double pulse" supernovae suggests that many putative Sn1a are not actually standard candles, lambda is zero, and the universe (and my protons) are younger than that. Any day now, I'm expecting an arxiv.org preprint from U. Calgary's Dr. Ouyed titled "Feel Younger Instantly," making nonaccelerating cosmology models more palatable to a youth-obsessed culture.

P.S. You are all invited to my second gigasecond day party, on Friday, January 20, 2017 at 10:17AM Pacific Standard Time. My second gibisecond party on Thursday September 23, 2021 at 10:59AM PDT will be a private affair, just me and my AI supercomputers in our armored underground bunker.
Last edited by keithl on Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:59 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:38 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I mean, I love all those numbers, it's so hard to choose.

All numbers are interesting! There ARE no boring numbers.

Proof: (a) See above, there are at least some interesting numbers.
(b) if there ARE any boring numbers, then there is a FIRST boring number. That's interesting!

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:44 pm UTC

JohnTheWysard wrote:
orthogon wrote:I mean, I love all those numbers, it's so hard to choose.

All numbers are interesting! There ARE no boring numbers.

Proof: (a) See above, there are at least some interesting numbers.
(b) if there ARE any boring numbers, then there is a FIRST boring number. That's interesting!

Ehh, that only works for integers (or at most for larger countably infinite sets by extrapolation, but it's usually used for positive integers IIRC.) It's possible that, for a (or possibly even ANY) given real number n, that there exists, for any ε > 0, an infinite number of both boring and interesting real numbers in the range (n, n+ε). So even if n is stipulated to be interesting and also smaller than any boring numbers, there isn't necessarily a smallest boring number.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

chenille

Postby chenille » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:54 pm UTC

JohnTheWysard wrote:(b) if there ARE any boring numbers, then there is a FIRST boring number. That's interesting!

Also, that doesn't seem particularly interesting, or else it would follow anything you can put in sequence would have to be interesting from start to finish. "This is the first book I've read in this series that was really boring. I guess that...makes it not boring, somehow?"

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:01 pm UTC

My misspelled word was received. I swapped the second e and solitary i twice and still got it wrong! (And before anyone goes 'i before e etc.' I am aware of this 'rule' and more importantly how flawed it is :wink: )

I don't remember exactly what I put for the five animals - I did the survey hours ago - but I know I put "LIZARD!!" and snake. I had loads of fun with the keyboard mashing - any excuse for it gets praised in my book!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
My madspace
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Dan H

Postby Dan H » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Talking of strange lists and strange words, how about this:

Are there any words which are their own definition? I thought of "self-explanatory" but that's kind of the opposite.

Sesquipedalian is pretty close to its own definition.

Jeehannes

Postby Jeehannes » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:04 pm UTC

HES wrote:
orthogon wrote:Manoeuvre

No word should have that many vowels in a row.

Ha, I'm Dutch and we have the word "kraaie-eieren" (crow's eggs), 7 vowels in a row (the hyphen is just there to prevent misreading the word).

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:12 pm UTC

I wonder if this can double as a dating ap?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Caesar

Postby Caesar » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:17 pm UTC

Man, I should have written that I had trouble spelling the word "cat" and then type "cet" in the form that asks you to type it. Way funnier than what I did.

Postby 64361266 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:19 pm UTC

It asked me to enter my age so I typed 0x24, then it said input a number, but I did?

[edit]

It's ok, it seems the form accepts input in binary.
Last edited by 64361266 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:22 pm UTC

I attempted to troll the survey by being honest and compliant with the instructions in a reasonable manner.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:23 pm UTC

Consciousness is the devil's word, 2 is the best number on any scale, and I apparently only regularly drink water and maple syrup.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:27 pm UTC

Have you ever been in a plane?
Yes

Have you ever been skydiving?
No, but I might someday

When you first saw The Dress, what color was it?
White and gold (apx)

What's a really popular food that you don't like?
cannolis

When you look at a blue sky, do you see those swirly floaters in your vision?
Yes, occasionally

Have you ever had a car run out of gas while you were driving it?
No

Name the first five animals you can think of
cat dog cheetah bear frog

What's the weather like where you are right now?
hot, sunny

Which of these can you do reasonably well?
(Check all that apply)
Ride a horse
Ice skate
Cut vegetables with a knife
Dive headfirst off a diving board
Swim
Roller skate
Run in high heels

What word can you never seem to spell on the first try?
I have trouble with double consonants.

Do you eat condiments directly out of the fridge as a snack?
No (unless you include whipped cream out of the can...I AM human.)

When you adjust a thermostat that was set by someone else, it's usually because you want the room to be ...
Warmer

What color is the shirt/dress/upper-body-clothing you're wearing right now, if any?
dark blue

Do you get colds often?
Yes

Pick a number from 1 to 100

On a scale of 1 to 10, how good at spelling are you?

Do you know your Myers-Briggs type?
Yes (I mean I've taken those tests, but they always come out different)

Do you know your astrological sign?
Yes

How many older siblings do you have?

How many younger siblings do you have?

Do you feel sleepy a lot?
No

Name a movie star
Joan Cusack

Do you spend a lot of time in the sun?
No

Does broccoli taste bitter to you?
No (not PARTICULARLY anyway)

Do you regularly stay awake much later than you meant to?
Yes

Fill this text box with gibberish by mashing random keyboard keys
lksdjfhouneoijfijh opjdg8ihu24098540joijv 987un aeiojiufd89kmq;klewmpou -a8dugoiajdj 9e8vq4f'adjv-djfgj-0sdu[paekov8e rl jaer80 erj =0e[fmerp98qnrt4-9dfyklv lvby nlrhgkjdfg;lbyfgtkner; n0df7ejoie 9e pofu98 we oijv 9sd oijw o jwe98jf [0sdnu 98u oie 9dfu fkdc -08nf -wj foksjd f[ouc-0v8 4pk perk poduf- 8sd7 094 j siporgj poesjg poarhjgpoaerj lkejg ofxbu vspdf lk;aerj poe podfupoc8 pobrom odfibj 0gf8mg ers;o goj [oser pf9d posj ioae odfjglckjpuewojmvrsdojfvn pdn [osdnu o;drsdog7-9esrtjethj n pdfif9bvulrje pofidu b9e8ur oe gu erkm sfklvucubhsoei r[o hdofg spodj gbpoer o dfogj dsoigj orsitj giodsjg posdjfs os5m portj psiodj vobs;lmr viudgh ds[o.

On a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is terrible and 3 is average, how good a driver do you think you are?

Do you have any food allergies?
No

Have you heard thunder or seen lightning in the past year?
Yes

Which do you prefer?
Chocolate

Pick another number from 1 to 100

When you think about stuff on the internet, where do you picture it being physically located? Even if you know it's not really how things work, is there a place you imagine websites and social media posts sitting before you look at them? If so, where is it?
I do a lot of things LIKE this, but this isn't one of them unfortunately. I guess I think of it as being in a few master hard drives somewhere, but that's sort of true.

Can you roll your tongue?
Yes

Can you pick things up with your toes?
Yes

How old are you?

What color are the walls around you right now?
off white on the cream side. not dry-mayonaise yellow, more like butter cream frosting with a touch of cocoa.

What kind of cell phone do you have?
Non-smartphone

What's the last thing you ate?
banana

Which of these words do you know the meaning of?
(Check all that apply)
Salient
Hubris
Modicum
Lithe
Rife
Apricity
Amiable
Soliloquy

Please type "cat" here:

"cat"

Do you usually remember your dreams?
Yes

Do you have strong opinions about text editors?
No

How do you feel about emoji?
Neutral 😐

Does it ever snow where you live?
Yes

Do you strongly dislike the taste or texture of any of these things?
none.

Which of these do you regularly drink?
Water
Beer
Tea
Coffee

Type five random words
box lightening tranquil myriad quack

Are you nervous about flying?
No (but travel prep makes me anxious in general)

On a scale of 1 to 5, which number is your favorite?

Which of these would you consider a sandwich?
(Check all that apply)
Hamburger (but not out loud)
Sub/Hoagie
Open-faced sandwich
Cheesesteak

Which of these describes you?
(Check all that apply)
Dog person
Cat person

Would you say you have a good sense of direction?
No (I'm good at learning my way around, though)

Have you ever thrown out all your different pairs of socks/underwear, bought a bunch of replacements that were all one kind, and then told all your friends how great it was and how they should do it too?
HA! No.
Last edited by Sprocket on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:28 pm UTC

My guaranteed-to-be-random response to "five random words" was "but random is hard though"
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:40 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Talking of strange lists and strange words, how about this:

How about "word", "noun", " pentasyllabic", and on its first use only "neologism".

HoopleDoople

Postby HoopleDoople » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:02 pm UTC

What's a really popular food that you don't like? - Listeria

Name the first five animals you can think of - ManBearPig, Lambda Lambda Lambda, Rob Schneider, Frank Oz, Reverse Giraffe

What's the weather like where you are right now?- Raining spiders

What word can you never seem to spell on the first try? - All of them

What color is the shirt/dress/upper-body-clothing you're wearing right now, if any? - Oh, was I supposed to be wearing clothes for this survey?

Name a movie star - Alpha Centauri

Fill this text box with gibberish by mashing random keyboard keys - gibberishgibberishgibberishgibberishgibberishgibberishgibberishgibberishgibberish (and so on)

When you think about stuff on the internet, where do you picture it being physically located? Even if you know it's not really how things work, is there a place you imagine websites and social media posts sitting before you look at them? If so, where is it? - A series of tubes and the worst toilet in Scotland, respectively.

What color are the walls around you right now? - they seem to be oozing blood so... red

What's the last thing you ate? - Soylent Green

Please type "cat" here: - catastrophic failure

Type five random words - Bite My Shiny Daffodil Ass

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”