1572: "xkcd Survey"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Iv

Re: 1572: "xkcd Survey"

Postby Iv » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:18 am UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:Perhaps I'm missing something, but were the results made public yet?

I came all the way from 1981 to ask this very question.

More seriously, anyone knows when and where the data will be released?

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:38 pm UTC

Just for fun, I made up a sentence with the 20 most common misspelled English words in it, then mangled it:

Alawt uv ontrepprenewers deffinnitley immpploy enn unesesairy, unaxeptoble beeruocrisy, partikulerly inn okurannses whare imbearessmint oar conchince lickwifye oar souperseed konsensis onn pareellell minoovers, bee thay az trivvyal az seppret qwestyunairz reefurred tou brockley konnosewers.

Feel free to challenge yourselves to correct it without the help of a dictionary (but if you do reply, please spoiler-tag your answer). :)

measure

Postby measure » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:52 pm UTC

KarenRei wrote:Just for fun, I made up a sentence with the 20 most common misspelled English words in it, then mangled it:

Alawt uv ontrepprenewers deffinnitley immpploy enn unesesairy, unaxeptoble beeruocrisy, partikulerly inn okurannses whare imbearessmint oar conchince lickwifye oar souperseed konsensis onn pareellell minoovers, bee thay az trivvyal az seppret qwestyunairz reefurred tou brockley konnosewers.

Feel free to challenge yourselves to correct it without the help of a dictionary (but if you do reply, please spoiler-tag your answer). :)

Spoiler:
A lot of entrapeneurs definitely employ an unnecessary unacceptable bureocracy, particularly in occurances where embarressment or concience liquify or supersede consensus on parallel maneuvers, be they as trivial as seperate questionaires referred to broccolli conisseurs.

Looks like I missed 10 out of the about 20 actually hard ones. I appear to be overly reliant on spell-checkers (although lacking one, I would probably just avoid using any words I didn't know).

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:26 pm UTC

To me the hard part of this exercise was to figure out what the mangled version was trying to say; but I guess it's different for us ESL speakers: Most of these are words I explicitly learned off a written list at some point early on in my language acquisition. I also have the advantage of speaking and spelling a reasonable approximation to French, which eliminates about a third of the problems in this specific text right away.

And then there are the cases where I had doubts, but it turns out both alternatives are acceptable - for instance, the solutions to 'lickwifye' or 'souperseed'.

Spoiler:
A lot of entrepreneurs definitely employ an unnecessary, unacceptable bureaucracy, particularly in occurrences where embarrassment or conscience liquify or supercede consesus on parallel manoeuvres, be they as trivial as separate questionnaires referred to broccoli connaisseurs.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:08 pm UTC

kelly_holden wrote:But surely if there is such as thing as a "broccolus" or a "broccolo", it would be one of the tiny flowers? Since that's what the head is composed of?

Etymologically speaking, apparently broccolo was indeed the diminutive of brocco, i.e. a little shoot. However, broccoli are somewhat fractal in nature, so it's hard to say at what level of sprouting an individual broccolo begins.

In serious usage, I'd usually treat broccoli as a mass noun, the same as other Italian plurals like spaghetti or tortellini, but "can you buy a broccoli?" would be quite acceptable too. Far more acceptable than "can you buy me a panini?", anyway.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:53 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:However, broccoli are somewhat fractal in nature

And this is why I love broccoli. Also cauliflower.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:16 pm UTC

Well this was a fun and interesting survey :)

My five animals were aardvark, kangaroo, okapi, cat, and dog. Don't know why the first three sprung to mind before I switched back to normality... :shock:

Also, for the "cat" question, I answered "ᏣᎪᎢ". Hopefully this wasn't a spambot trap that I fell for :|

KarenRei wrote:Just for fun, I made up a sentence with the 20 most common misspelled English words in it, then mangled it:

Spoiler:
A lot of entrepreneurs definitely employ an unnecessary, unacceptable bureaucracy, particularly in occurrences where embarrassment or conscience liquefy or supercede consensus on parallel manoeuvers, be they as trivial as separate questionnaires referred to broccoli connosieurs.

Two wrong. oh dear, I think I have become far too reliant on spell checkers :(
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:21 pm UTC

I had aardvark too :D Maybe we just have alphabetical minds. I also had human (the other three were dog, cat and mouse)

peterburk

Postby peterburk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:56 am UTC

I wrote "cat -v".
Real programmers use cat.

aljohnso

Postby aljohnso » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:10 am UTC

Someone should fix the "favorite number between one and one hundred" questions...

It didn't take 3.14159..... and it didn't take e.

Clear fails.

lorb

Postby lorb » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:01 pm UTC

The correct answer is 42.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:04 pm UTC

Spoiler:
image.jpg

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:16 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Statistician gripe: it's impossible for us to come up with random words, even selecting from the words we know. THere are two many subconscious and conscious biases for us to choose randomly.

Code: Select all

% perl6 -e '"/usr/share/dict/words".IO.lines.pick(5).say'
calmy whig Rossville factiousness polytheism
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:32 pm UTC

Ah, that's only a pseudorandom selection of words!
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

cantab314

Postby cantab314 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:36 pm UTC

More seriously, it's subject to the biases of whoever compiled the dictionary. It's almost certain to be grossly biased in favour of English words for a start.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:41 pm UTC

cantab314 wrote:More seriously, it's subject to the biases of whoever compiled the dictionary. It's almost certain to be grossly biased in favour of English words for a start.

Apparently not, judging by the output ;-)

audreymoon

Postby audreymoon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:18 pm UTC

Does anyone know where/when the data will be published? I'd like to do something fun with it with my science students.

Thanks!

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:47 am UTC

aljohnso wrote:Someone should fix the "favorite number between one and one hundred" questions...

It didn't take 3.14159..... and it didn't take e.

Clear fails.

cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:20 am UTC

^ :-)

In cryptic crosswords in the British press, "number" can often be a clue for a word like "morphine". (In a similar way, "flower" can be e.g. "Thames"). Only works in writing, of course.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:30 am UTC

I'll give credit to the coach for knowing Avogadro's number is not between one and ten.

PKM

Postby PKM » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:09 am UTC

Spoiler:
A lot of entrepreneurs definitely employ an unnecessary, unacceptable bureaucracy, particularly in occurrences where embarrassment or conscience liquify or supersede consensus on parallel manoeuvres (BrE), be they as trivial as separate questionnaires referred to broccoli connoisseurs.

Gah, I thought I was doing so well, but you got me with "lickwifye", I spelt it the same way as the Photoshop tool. (Though if it had been "lickwifackshun" I like to think I would have got it right).

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:45 am UTC

mscha wrote:

I'd rather do it in bash:

$ shuf -n5 /usr/share/dict/words
vitreous
estimate's
Mosul
jabbing
intones
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:25 am UTC

markfiend wrote:estimate's

* twitch *
I mean, yes, you probably could dream up a sentence in which that was just about correct, but...
Note to self: do not rely on the contents of /usr/share/dict/words.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:40 am UTC

The various estimates had a range of accuracies, but the third estimate's was the highest.
He/Him/His Image

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:52 am UTC

HES wrote:The various estimates had a range of accuracies, but the third estimate's was the highest.

Or contraction: "I think your estimate's a bit on the high side".

ETA: ok, I've stopped twitching a bit now I've appreciated what the words file contains: basically every word that can take the -'s suffix is listed with it. I'd still dispute whether estimate's is really a word as such, but I have to concede that the possessive version isn't two words either, it's a word with an enclitic attached.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:19 pm UTC

brenok wrote:I'll give credit to the coach for knowing Avogadro's number is not between one and ten.

but is it between one and ten... Parsecs converted to football field units? :twisted:

and yes I"m too lazy to see how those numbers work out
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:18 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
brenok wrote:I'll give credit to the coach for knowing Avogadro's number is not between one and ten.

but is it between one and ten... Parsecs converted to football field units? :twisted:

and yes I"m too lazy to see how those numbers work out

The parsec is a unit of length; a football field is a unit of area; and Avagadro's number is ... well ... a (dimensionless) number. There are about 1029 soccerball pitches per square parsec, which is about 200,000 times Avagadro's number. In other words a square parsec could contain 200,000 moles of soccerball pitches. Does that answer your question?

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:02 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Oh, endlessly. My sense of humor is is 99% filtering. Or maybe just filters 99%, so the bad puns and intentional "cute" errors that get through are the top 1% of what my subconscious is inflicting on me.

Some years ago I discovered a correlation - the happier I am and the better my life is going, the more puns come out. It's been interesting to watch. It tends to create a vicious cycle (or virtuous, depending on your perspective) here on the xkcd forums, because reading them makes me happy which brings out the puns which causes others to counterpun (or punsaw, depending on where I am), which makes me happy... :P

ETE. (Edited to English)*

* Interesting. I realize that there are two ways to parse that - with "to" as a conventional preposition (c.f. "into") or as a particle (or a vestigial Middle English type preposition) in a snowcloned infinitive construction (c.f. "edited to add"), which is what I had originally intended.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:01 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:but is it between one and ten... Parsecs converted to football field units? :twisted:

I'm assuming this actually means [American] football field as unit of length ≈ 110m

In which case 1 parsec ≈ 2.7e14 football fields

So no, nowhere near. You'd need about 2.2 gigaparsecs to get to NA football fields.

(Edit to add: sorry about the estimate's.)
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

speising

Postby speising » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:22 pm UTC

the estimate's what?

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:50 pm UTC

speising wrote:the estimate's what?

markfiend wrote:
mscha wrote:

I'd rather do it in bash:

$ shuf -n5 /usr/share/dict/words
vitreous
estimate's
Mosul
jabbing
intones

speising

Postby speising » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:32 pm UTC

Oh, the "estimate's".
Anyway, that doesn't belong in a word file, imho. Any spellchecker should be smart enough to recognize that that's two words.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:45 pm UTC

I believe your estimate's assumptions are off.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:39 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:
cellocgw wrote:but is it between one and ten... Parsecs converted to football field units? :twisted:

I'm assuming this actually means [American] football field as unit of length ≈ 110m

In which case 1 parsec ≈ 2.7e14 football fields

So no, nowhere near. You'd need about 2.2 gigaparsecs to get to NA football fields.

(Edit to add: sorry about the estimate's.)

Hmm, I think of a football pitch as a unit of area. However! We can all agree that the Wales is a unit of area, and by my calculation, a mole of Waleses would be about 14 square parsecs.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:19 pm UTC

Is a Wales measured as the 2-dimensional area it currently occupies on a map, one adjusted for the curvature of the Earth, or are you going to iron the whole country first and then measure surface area?
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:58 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:I sadly have to admit that I could only think of one animal off the top of my head (Eric Burdon). I hope it was okay to google the rest.

UPVOTE :D
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:07 pm UTC

oyyedih wrote:I typed in "bus" as one of my animals. As a matter of fact, it's one of my spirit animals! Also, when it said "Please type "cat" here:" I typed in '"cat" here:'

same here
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:05 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Hmm, I think of a football pitch as a unit of area. However! We can all agree that the Wales is a unit of area, and by my calculation, a mole of Waleses would be about 14 square parsecs.

The Wales is not a standardized unit. I don't believe Wales is even proven to exist, only highly probable based on experiments.

ubikuberalles

Postby ubikuberalles » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:51 pm UTC

HES wrote:
orthogon wrote:Manoeuvre

No word should have that many vowels in a row.

Then you'll probably hate this page: https://www.wordnik.com/lists/words-wit ... ive-vowels

And the word "queueing" has five - I said FIVE - vowels in a row. Oh me yarm! ;)
Ranch!

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:30 am UTC

Oh, wow. That page does make my eyeballs throw up a little. = o
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”