1585: "Similarities"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CardcaptorRLH85

1585: "Similarities"

Postby CardcaptorRLH85 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:07 am UTC

Alt Text: I just came from The Martian, and I just have to say: Forget BB-8; I want a pet Sojourner! It's always been the cutest of our Mars rovers.

This is one of the wonderful things about Randall's comic style, he can go see a movie and just a couple hours later, have a comic up about it.

EDIT: Sorry if I've done anything wrong. I think I followed the guidelines correctly. Tell me if I messed up somewhere.
Last edited by CardcaptorRLH85 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eutychus

Re: 1585: "Similarities"

Postby Eutychus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:10 am UTC

"About a well-known brand?"

(Ninja'd)
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

CardcaptorRLH85

Postby CardcaptorRLH85 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:17 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:"About a well-known brand?"

(Ninja'd)

Well, I guess that'd be the problem with creating a comic on a subject so quickly ^_^

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:33 am UTC

Well yes. But I still don't understand the "brand" reference.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:53 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:Well yes. But I still don't understand the "brand" reference.

I don't really get any of it. Based on reading explainxkcd.com, I guess that one "brand" is Twilight, since Fifty Shades was originally Twilight Internet fanfic, and this is vaguely related to the origin of The Martian, which was first published on a blog, which is also an Internet thing. Presumably the "brand" in that case is NASA? How does this make them "basically the same book"? That's an observation about the content of the book, not how it came to be published. That a successful book was made into a film is hardly exceptional, and isn't it a bit late in the day to find it surprising that something could start life on the Internet, become massively popular and spread to other media?

"50 Shades of Red?" is a great punchline; but I think the setup requires more work.

Maybe I don't get it because I haven't read Fifty Shades.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:42 am UTC

Yeah, this one seems the rare complete misfire.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

AlvinFox

Postby AlvinFox » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:15 am UTC

And John Dies at the End.

Now I'm just trying to come up with more examples.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:23 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:"About a well-known brand?"

(Ninja'd)

Ya mean Russell?
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:37 pm UTC

orthogon wrote: Presumably the "brand" in that case is NASA? How does this make them "basically the same book"? That's an observation about the content of the book, not how it came to be published. That a successful book was made into a film is hardly exceptional, and isn't it a bit late in the day to find it surprising that something could start life on the Internet, become massively popular and spread to other media?

"50 Shades of Red?" is a great punchline; but I think the setup requires more work.

My take is that Mars itself is the brand. There's certainly a wealth of scifi novels about colonizing Mars -- Ray Bradbury, the "Tricolor" series, and ER Burroughs for examples.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

ChateauArusi

Postby ChateauArusi » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:24 pm UTC

He's using the word "brand" according to its modern usage, i.e., flexibly ambiguous bordering on meaningless.

Also: "I just came from The Martian" is, let's say, a potentially loaded phrase.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:04 pm UTC

There's certainly a brand called Mars, but it's not really related to the planet. It's tasty though.

So, is Randall putting the Martian in the same category as 50 Shades of Gr(e|a)y concerning content as well?

jpers36

Postby jpers36 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:08 pm UTC

Perhaps the "brand" is Robinson Crusoe?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:14 pm UTC

I think "brand" here is "genre" or "sub-genre".

Pulp Erotica is to Fifty Shades as Pulp Mars Sci-Fi is to The Martian.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:59 pm UTC

But that doesn't track with 50 Shades being directly inspired by another well known fictional property. If you refer to the brand that inspired 50 Shades, there is exactly one well known and immediate association.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:01 pm UTC

So, was The Martian a fan-fic of anything? There is so much Mars Sci-Fi out there, it would be hard to tell. Isn't it all pretty much Fan-Fic at this point?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:05 pm UTC

Well, in the sense that all medieval fantasy is now Tolkien fanfic, materially, yes. But calling pulp or genre fiction fanfic by definition is as much a leap as associating the two named franchises is to begin with, and I don't know which of the many available stretches to take as intended.

she / her / her

yakkoTDI

Postby yakkoTDI » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:27 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Eutychus wrote:Well yes. But I still don't understand the "brand" reference.

I don't really get any of it. Based on reading explainxkcd.com, I guess that one "brand" is Twilight, since Fifty Shades was originally Twilight Internet fanfic, and this is vaguely related to the origin of The Martian, which was first published on a blog, which is also an Internet thing. Presumably the "brand" in that case is NASA? How does this make them "basically the same book"? That's an observation about the content of the book, not how it came to be published. That a successful book was made into a film is hardly exceptional, and isn't it a bit late in the day to find it surprising that something could start life on the Internet, become massively popular and spread to other media?

I thought 50 Shades of Grey was a re-write of Secretary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_(2002_film)

Flumble wrote:There's certainly a brand called Mars, but it's not really related to the planet. It's tasty though.

So, is Randall putting the Martian in the same category as 50 Shades of Gr(e|a)y concerning content as well?

No one has been to Mars yet. How do you know it is tasty? Or are you saying....OH GOD NOOOO!!!!!!! YOU'RE ONE OF THEM!!!!!!!!

/me runs and hides.

Justin Lardinois

Postby Justin Lardinois » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:37 pm UTC

yakkoTDI wrote:I thought 50 Shades of Grey was a re-write of Secretary.

It certainly has similarities, and perhaps provided some inspiration, but E. L. James did originally write Fifty Shades of Grey as a Twilight fanfic called Master of the Universe that she posted on various sites. Later on she reworked it with original characters and published it.

And the filter apparently doesn't like me so I'm writing some more here in hopes my comment will make it through.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:40 pm UTC

yakkoTDI wrote:No one has been to Mars yet. How do you know it is tasty? Or are you saying....OH GOD NOOOO!!!!!!! YOU'RE ONE OF THEM!!!!!!!!

/me runs and hides.

Hush now, I'm not going to eat your brains or anything. :mrgreen: (at least, not yet)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:33 pm UTC

Justin Lardinois wrote:
yakkoTDI wrote:I thought 50 Shades of Grey was a re-write of Secretary.

It certainly has similarities, and perhaps provided some inspiration, but E. L. James did originally write Fifty Shades of Grey as a Twilight fanfic called Master of the Universe that she posted on various sites. Later on she reworked it with original characters and published it.

And the filter apparently doesn't like me so I'm writing some more here in hopes my comment will make it through.

The filter just doesn't like people who don't read the forum rules before posting...

And, yeah, Secretary has a fair amount in common with 50 Shades, at least in terms of theme (naive young woman entering a submissive relationship with a successful businessman). On the other hand, saying that 50 Shades is based on Secretary is less convincing than saying that I Robot (the movie) is based on the book of the same title...

Sobansa

Postby Sobansa » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:07 pm UTC

No one caught the in joke to 1536? The Martian is Apollo 13 Fanfic.

geniekid

Postby geniekid » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:40 pm UTC

So it's a website that revolves around hand drawn comics updated multiple times a week that originated from a guy who wanted to share his perspective of the world through a humorous context via his imagined characters? And over the years it's built up enough content and viewership to justify selling related merchandise? And there's an archive and forum to view/discuss individual comics?

Yeah, xkcd and [name a webcomic] are basically the same website. :lol:

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:49 pm UTC

geniekid wrote:So it's a website that revolves around hand drawn comics updated multiple times a week that originated from a guy who wanted to share his perspective of the world through a humorous context via his imagined characters? And over the years it's built up enough content and viewership to justify selling related merchandise? And there's an archive and forum to view/discuss individual comics?

Irregular Webcomic? No
Legostar Galactica? No
Darths & Droids? No
Planet of Hats? No

Man, I'm really bad at naming webcomics that fit that description...

geniekid

Postby geniekid » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:09 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
geniekid wrote:So it's a website that revolves around hand drawn comics updated multiple times a week that originated from a guy who wanted to share his perspective of the world through a humorous context via his imagined characters? And over the years it's built up enough content and viewership to justify selling related merchandise? And there's an archive and forum to view/discuss individual comics?

Irregular Webcomic? No
Legostar Galactica? No
Darths & Droids? No
Planet of Hats? No

Man, I'm really bad at naming webcomics that fit that description...

Yeah you are, because there are a lot. But the point is there only have to be two for me to make a comic about it apparently! :P

Tova

Postby Tova » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:20 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Yeah, this one seems the rare complete misfire.

It's not normally a complete misfire, I suppose.

Also - no, I would not watch it.

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

I liked two of the comments I saw on Twitter about the Martian.

1. The discovery of water on Mars makes The Martian look outdated before it's even been released in the UK.

2. That between Saving Private Ryan, Interstellar and The Martian the US is spending a hell of a lot of money trying to bring Matt Damon back.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

Solarn

Postby Solarn » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

ChateauArusi wrote:Also: "I just came from The Martian" is, let's say, a potentially loaded phrase.

Not if you just came from The Martian, it isn't.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”