1604: "Snakes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cyanyoshi

1604: "Snakes"

Postby cyanyoshi » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:28 am UTC

Title Text: "The last band of color indicates the snake's tolerance for being held before biting."

The "red touch black" thing unfortunately only works for snakes, and not for jumper cables.

iabervon

Re: 1604: "Snakes"

Postby iabervon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:38 am UTC

I don't think snakes come in 24Ω. That snake's probably actually 2.40MΩ.

armandoalvarez

Postby armandoalvarez » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:40 am UTC

This poem is at least as bad as "30 Days Hath September":
If red touches yellow, you're a _____ fellow;
If red touches black, you're ____, Jack.

How am I supposed to remember which blank is filled with the word that results in me being alive at the end of this?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:40 am UTC

This is my favorite xkcd in ages. Just wanna express that.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:52 am UTC

armandoalvarez wrote:This poem is at least as bad as "30 Days Hath September":

How am I supposed to remember which blank is filled with the word that results in me being alive at the end of this?

That's probably why I've always heard it as "red touch yellow, kill a fellow; red touch black, venom lack." Less grammatical, but quite a bit clearer.

And yes, this comic is excellent. If I'd been drinking anything, it would've wound up as a fine mist coating my laptop.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:08 am UTC

The incantation I learned was
Ancient Scouting Meme wrote:Red on Black, friend of Jack,
Red on Yellow, kills a fellow.

The different structure kinda helps keep the lines separated.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:58 am UTC

I have never heard of the coral snake/king snake rhyme, but I suppose that's normal for someone who has never seen a real snake.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:42 am UTC

Hoorah for explainxkcd, first time I've had to pop over there for a while :)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:57 am UTC

iabervon wrote:I don't think snakes come in 24Ω. That snake's probably actually 2.40MΩ.

Then it would be banded red-yellow-green. The snake in question (whether king or coral) is red, yellow, and black.

If it's a 24-ohm snake, it's the dangerous kind. Hope that "tolerance" band is a high number.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:59 am UTC

This is another one where I assumed I understood the cartoon, then came here and realised I'd missed half the point. Living as I do in a realm where we only have one type of venomous snake (which isn't a threat to human life), I didn't know about the rhyme/practical spotting guide, and just assumed it was a joke based on snakes having coloured bands similar to resistors.
Last edited by CharlieP on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:08 am UTC

I don't live anywhere near any coral snake range in the US, so I think it was something I ran into first in context of an example of biological mimicry, but I've no doubt the illustration is itself more popular nearer their actual ranges, and I'd be just a couple of states away.

Edit: One type of venomous snakes that isn't a threat to humans - so that's one better than Australia, I guess? But milk snakes are also non-venomous.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:57 am UTC

CharlieP wrote:This is another one where I assumed I understood the cartoon, then came here and realised I'd missed half the point. Living as I do in a realm where we only have one type of venomous snake which isn't a threat to human life, I didn't know about the rhyme/practical spotting guide, and just assumed it was a joke based on snakes having coloured bands similar to resistors.

Yes, snakes are digital in the UK: we have adders. Here, you need to check if it's a 16-bit adder or a 32-bit. Best if you don't get bit at all, though.

Mikeski wrote:If it's a 24-ohm snake, it's the dangerous kind. Hope that "tolerance" band is a high number.

24Ω is in the E24 series, so the snake's tolerance can't be any more than 5%.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:24 am UTC

Chutes and adders: The most depressing board game ever.

she / her / her

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 am UTC

I had to give up my interest in circuitry because my color-blindness makes it almost impossible to read resistors. (I could almost handle the old ones with the dark-brown bodies, but the beige ones that followed were hopeless.)

Now you're telling me I also have to play it safe and assume all snakes are deadly just because I can't tell them apart on sight?

Hey, I like snakes. In my last close encounter with a baby ball python my biggest concern was how tight to hold him to avoid hurting him either through squeezing too hard or accidentally dropping him. Turns out he had such a firm grip for a guy the diameter of a pencil he could hold onto me just fine without my help. I just know better than to play with the ones that might kill me because I happened to catch them in a bad mood.

sappha58

Postby sappha58 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:14 am UTC

The thing is that the poem only works in the USA, and only for a portion of the coral snakes. There's a site called Snakebuddies.net that explains why you shouldn't use that poem at all, and should forget it.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:20 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Edit: One type of venomous snakes that isn't a threat to humans - so that's one better than Australia, I guess? But milk snakes are also non-venomous.

Ha ha, good spot. That clause started off with a comma in front of it, but I thought my sentence had become a bit unwieldy and edited carelessly.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:32 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Chutes and adders: The most depressing board game ever.

Does the original still have snakes instead of chutes?

botanydave

Postby botanydave » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:37 am UTC

Archgeek wrote:The incantation I learned was

This is essentially how I learned it as well.
"Red & Black, Friend of Jack;
Red & Yellow, Harm a Fellow."

Of course, while Red & Yellow, the Coral Snake, is venomous, they are pretty docile. If you see one in your path, you can literally step over it, and be on your way. The worst way to begin any interaction with a coral snake is to pick it up (whether you are wanting to check its resistance, or to try to move it off the trail), just like our friends in the comic have done. Blast.

Red & Blacks (Milk Snakes) are used a lot in horrible Hollywood movies involving [supposedly dangerous] snakes, because no one is supposed to be able to tell the difference. I just think the movies are dull; like using a crash dummy in a scene, and we're supposed to believe it was the hero falling off'f the building. "Get back! He's got a jelly doughnut!"

x7eggert

Postby x7eggert » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:43 am UTC

The picture looks like yellow-red-yellow-black.

Mental Mouse

Postby Mental Mouse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:54 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
CharlieP wrote:This is another one where I assumed I understood the cartoon, then came here and realised I'd missed half the point. Living as I do in a realm where we only have one type of venomous snake which isn't a threat to human life, I didn't know about the rhyme/practical spotting guide, and just assumed it was a joke based on snakes having coloured bands similar to resistors.

Yes, snakes are digital in the UK: we have adders. Here, you need to check if it's a 16-bit adder or a 32-bit. Best if you don't get bit at all, though.

Arrggh! 888888888888888888

Of course, snakes don't actually want to be a threat, which is why they have those bright colors and scary sounds for warning. Around here (VA/USA) it's the cottonmouth: That's named for the bright-white interior of its mouth, (making its fang-bearing threat display even more visible). That's for if you miss its flashy and distinctive scale pattern (and they're pretty big snakes, too).

The girl in the comic is asking for trouble by picking a snake up in her (bare?) hands, much better to leave them be. Even a constrictor of the depicted size could squeeze her arm hard enough to cut off the blood flow, and she'd probably need her buddy's help to pry it off. Also, even a constrictor's bite hurts, let alone if it turns out you're allergic to reptile saliva.

ETA: Ninja'ed on snake safety. I'll add:
CharlieP wrote:

Does the original still have snakes instead of chutes?

The orginal had cobras.

zighier

Postby zighier » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:15 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:This is another one where I assumed I understood the cartoon, then came here and realised I'd missed half the point. Living as I do in a realm where we only have one type of venomous snake (which isn't a threat to human life), I didn't know about the rhyme/practical spotting guide, and just assumed it was a joke based on snakes having coloured bands similar to resistors.

Living in (south-east) Australia, I'm in the same situation for the opposite reason:
All the snakes around here (that I know of) are venemous, so we get out of their way first and wonder what kind they were later.

I suppose it would matter if you actually did get bit, though, so you could get the right antivenin.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

Apologies if this is obvious, but the original game name was "Snakes and Ladders," so you've managed an excellent spoonpunerism there.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:43 pm UTC

Since I consider it as a fail-safe approach not to get bitten at all, knowing the biter is for the chain of survival in case of the fail-safe approach has not been performed successfully.

The only venomous snakes here are Vipera berus. The are more into camouflage than into signal colours, but they are pretty shy and thrifty -- If an adult gets bitten by one of them, chances are good that the guy a) very much deserved it, and b) will survive it. For little children, however, the venom dose is (or may very well be) life-threatening.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:41 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

Apologies if this is obvious, but the original game name was "Snakes and Ladders," so you've managed an excellent spoonpunerism there.

Strictly speaking, it looks as though the original game name may have been ज्ञान चौपड़, though it goes back to prehistoric times so even that is probably a "modern" name for it.

According to the fantastic Wikipedia article (I particularly like the plot of cumulative probability of finishing a game after N turns), there's a game-of-skill version called "Adders and ladders".

x7eggert

Postby x7eggert » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:55 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:According to the fantastic Wikipedia article (I particularly like the plot of cumulative probability of finishing a game after N turns), there's a game-of-skill version called "Adders and ladders".

Is that the UK version?

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:06 pm UTC

...OK, the snake is 24Ω. But is it suitable for use as a component of an avionics system?

Also, if the UK version is "Adders and Ladders", what's the Irish version?
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:38 pm UTC

I remember this rhyme being used in some 70s adventure cartoon. The heroes were trapped in a pit with "Deadly" snakes, but then they remembered the rhyme and realized they were safe.

However, being a 70s cartoon, the six frames of snake animation were colored such that the stripes were changing as the snakes moved. Deadly, safe, deadly, safe.

richP

Postby richP » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:27 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:...OK, the snake is 24Ω. But is it suitable for use as a component of an avionics system?

According to noted serpentine aviation authority Samuel L. Jackson: No.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:46 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:...OK, the snake is 24Ω. But is it suitable for use as a component of an avionics system?

Also, if the UK version is "Adders and Ladders", what's the Irish version?

The same but you drink a shot of whisky every time you move onto a snake or ladder.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:48 pm UTC

I think you mean whiskey. :)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:03 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:I think you mean whiskey. :)

I think I live too close to Scotland to risk it.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:09 pm UTC

PUT THAT DOWN!!! 24Ω SNAKES ARE DANGEROUS. Only 20Ω snakes are safe to handle.
In all fairness...

SeanDansey

Postby SeanDansey » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:58 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:

The incantation I learned was

I tried to recite this once and accidentally came up with:

"Red on yellow, friendly fellow
Black on red, kill ya dead"

Forever confused. T-T

TheEngineer

Postby TheEngineer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:59 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

Mikeski wrote:If it's a 24-ohm snake, it's the dangerous kind. Hope that "tolerance" band is a high number.

24Ω is in the E24 series, so the snake's tolerance can't be any more than 5%.

Of course adders aren't really resistive but are mainly capacitive. This is why we have the pF adder.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:52 pm UTC

pF adder. Very good.

I didn't know this rhyme (or anything about the snakes in question) but there is one about switching drinks mid session that goes something like "beer on wine, feeling fine, wine on beer, feeling queer". It has a similar issue to that described above, in that nobody is sure whether it's "beer on wine" or "beer then wine", resulting in total confusion as to the advisable order. (Personally I think wine first is better, since if you switch to wine when you're already a bit drunk, you're liable to drink it like it's beer, with disastrous consequences).

I don't know what happens if you mix the two, but of you mix beer and cider you get snakebite, which is almost on topic.

42isall

Postby 42isall » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:16 pm UTC

So if the tolerance band is black, doesn't that mean it has zero tolerance for being held?
I suppose we can assume its actually .05% though...

x7eggert

Postby x7eggert » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:21 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:pF adder. Very good.

I didn't know this rhyme (or anything about the snakes in question) but there is one about switching drinks mid session that goes something like "beer on wine, feeling fine, wine on beer, feeling queer". It has a similar issue to that described above, in that nobody is sure whether it's "beer on wine" or "beer then wine", resulting in total confusion as to the advisable order. (Personally I think wine first is better, since if you switch to wine when you're already a bit drunk, you're liable to drink it like it's beer, with disastrous consequences).

In German, it's Wein auf Bier, das rat ich Dir // Bier auf Wein, das laß sein. (No possible confusion: Wine on beer = good).

Somebody claimed that beer at those time was bitter, while wine was sweet, so you just would not like it. For current beers, both wine on beer and beer on wine are OK, so you can say whatever you want.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:40 pm UTC

x7eggert wrote:In German, it's Wein auf Bier, das rat ich Dir // Bier auf Wein, das laß sein. (No possible confusion: Wine on beer = good).

Somebody claimed that beer at those time was bitter, while wine was sweet, so you just would not like it. For current beers, both wine on beer and beer on wine are OK, so you can say whatever you want.

One modernised version I've heard goes "Wein auf Bier, das rat' ich Dir // Bier auf Wein ist auch ganz fein." (Roughly translates to 'just drink whatever you have, it's all good'.)

speising

Postby speising » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:52 pm UTC

Gerneral drinking advice: always progress to harder stuff. So, first beer, then wine. Waking up beside a puke puddle (and not even mine) has convinced me of that wisdom.

toddgeorge

Postby toddgeorge » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:12 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I didn't know this rhyme (or anything about the snakes in question) but there is one about switching drinks mid session that goes something like "beer on wine, feeling fine, wine on beer, feeling queer". It has a similar issue to that described above, in that nobody is sure whether it's "beer on wine" or "beer then wine", resulting in total confusion as to the advisable order. (Personally I think wine first is better, since if you switch to wine when you're already a bit drunk, you're liable to drink it like it's beer, with disastrous consequences).

Even when I was earning my Reptile Study merit badge in Boy Scouts, I couldn't remember how to distinguish a coral from a king snake. But, I've been able to remember the one about booze quite easily. :)

The version I learned, though, goes something like this:
"Beer then liquor, never sicker;
liquor then beer, in the clear."

Growing up in Oklahoma, we were too hillbilly/redneck to consider drinking wine. Unless it came out of those gallon jugs of Riunite one of our moms always seemed to have around.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”