1608: "Hoverboard"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

McMetal

Re: 1608: "Hoverboard"

Postby McMetal » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:26 am UTC

GOD DAMMIT MUNROE I HAVE TO WORK TOMORROW!

Anybody else reminded of the phrase "You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all different"?

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:28 am UTC

No molpies?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Lanzaa

Postby Lanzaa » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:39 am UTC

Here is a another map people can play with:
Spoiler:

EDIT:
Now the map has toggleable coin markers:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Lanzaa on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:42 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:45 am UTC

tempest69 wrote:
Ideas sleep furiously. wrote:Well, I found a secret lair.

Spoiler:

But how do you escape it?

More jumping and randomly pressing left and right... assuming you've rediscovered your entrypoint (the 'basin' high up in the secret lair).

TIL the sphere on top of a star destroyer is actually a globe of death —fitting, nonetheless.

Also, the right side of the world felt non-euclidean: going rightwards throughout the destroyer felt like a long walk hover, but not as long as the trip back near the ground.

[edit] Turns out I missed the lander and the garden and quite a bit of dialogue. Thanks for the map Lanzaa!

jamieathom

Postby jamieathom » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:52 am UTC

The two locations that are hardest to find are...
Spoiler:
Elon Musk's undergergound layer. Go down and left in the ocean where Artex is drowning
...and...
Spoiler:
The floating island that is straight up from the tip of the Washington Monument.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:06 am UTC

Turn up the contrast on your monitor and you will see that the liquid lava (through which you can move) is a lighter color than the solid rock.

CharonPDX

Postby CharonPDX » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:11 am UTC

Looking at the maps, I'm pretty sure I went everywhere I could, but only 130 in ~1800 seconds. I saw quite a few that I couldn't reach at all, such as inside the gazebo in the Star Destroyer. Were people able to get to the ones that had "objects in the way"? (And HAH! I found Musk's secret lair before I saw the maps!)

GuesssWho

Postby GuesssWho » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:21 am UTC

I think I found Medusa.
Hi, Medusa.

Willl

Postby Willl » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:31 am UTC

I had no idea my laptop had an accelerometer that could be accessed like a smartphone's, so being told to tilt was very confusing. I assumed it was part of the joke until it started moving when I moved the laptop.

kodiac

Postby kodiac » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:34 am UTC

I'm amazed to find it works in IE (11 - I haven't tried any earlier version), but there's a strange bug (feature?) that I only see in that browser.
Changing direction between left and right causes the player character to somersault.

GuesssWho

Postby GuesssWho » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:14 am UTC

Oh look, that one really depressing bit from The Neverending Story . . .

Plasma_Wolf

Postby Plasma_Wolf » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:19 am UTC

I don't have the time. Help!

I went to the left part of the map and got to the corner. I didn't check the air.

I went to the right part of the map and I thought it'd be better to check the corner before checking the air. I only saw the gun of the Corvette. I did not expect the Star Destroyer.

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:20 am UTC

Asthanius wrote:The "starship" takes forever to navigate, but it's worth it when you find Vader.

Also, has anyone else gotten inside of the Washington Monument? There seems to be an opening on the right side near the top, that goes all the way down to the visible line of bricks. Not sure why it's there.

I found it.. and now I'm stuck inside. :D

actually not stuck.. I prefer *entombed*

EDIT: Also, I'm sure I missed several but 136 coins in 3163 seconds :D
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:32 am UTC

In the large spaceship, the tunnels directly below the oxygen tanks for if there's a fire, is that the original Prince of Persia map?

Also, Joust :D
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:55 am UTC

The Moomin wrote:In the large spaceship, the tunnels directly below the oxygen tanks for if there's a fire, is that the original Prince of Persia map?

Also, Joust :D

I think that is - left to fetch the sword, back right to fight the guard... seems familiar to me.

Also I love the secret lair, the corvette, the Star Destroyer, and the X-Wing at the petrol station. I should have been working...
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:07 am UTC

Oh wow. Ch*rping boababs wow. It's m*stard like this that reminds me I'll never be a tenth as awesome as Randall Munroe. :(

I only got 120 coins. In 1 hour 23 seconds but I was AFL for quite a bit of that time.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Occam's Whetstone

Postby Occam's Whetstone » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:04 am UTC

I went all over and think I found everything but the starting area won't load, it's just a void and you fall under the map. Is this normal?

Shenguin

Postby Shenguin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:05 am UTC

Like the lava tubes, the Washington Mount just requires some up and left and right key bashing to escape from it. It also has a passage at the bottom, signalled by an arrow, which I stupidly missed for ages.

Spoiler:
After some time spent investigating, I don't *think* there are any hidden coins in either the sea with the rogue wave, the Washington Mount, or the lava tubes leading to Elon Musk's lair.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:17 am UTC

I love this. It feels like those dreams where you can fly.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:34 am UTC

Just what I was thinking! But then, lost in the dark underneath the lava, it started to feel like a nightmare.

150 in 6??? seconds without using the map, but with reading this thread. ;)

kryton

Postby kryton » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:11 pm UTC

tagno25 wrote:I you just want to explore, and not play the game, then there are three values you should set.

Set "window.noclip=1" to enable going through everything.
set "window.mewtwo=1" to disable gravity.
set "window.i.am.gandalf=1" to make the character jump higher, travel faster, and get a hat.

#javascript:(function() {window.mewtwo=1;window.i.am.gandalf=1;window.noclip=1;})()

Um, for us rank armatures stuck at work with IE 11, how do you set these?
1298 and counting

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:32 pm UTC

McMetal wrote:GOD DAMMIT MUNROE I HAVE TO WORK TOMORROW!

Anybody else reminded of the phrase "You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all different"?

Well of course, but I don't think gesturing the hoverboard to spell plugh is going to help this time.

Meanwhile, I hope everyone remembers This World .
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Shadowman615

Postby Shadowman615 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

ebow wrote:
speising wrote:So, from all your comments, i assume y'all are seeing more than a black square with a yellow dot?
I guess this is one of those things that don't work in the only Apple approved rendering engine on my device…

Well I can see the game area perfectly fine on both Firefox and Chrome on my Android, but controlling it is a real pain. It works on Chrome for Mac, too, sort of, with 'a' and 'd' for directions, slowly, and 'k' for jumping/hovering.

Crap, I'm supposed to help clean and prep for Thanksgiving! :(

Thanks for the tip about chrome on Mac, much better. I was getting frustrated with the tilt controls on the phone! After a while it seems to lose it's calibration or something and I'm tilting left while he skates to the right. Plus I have a tendency to tap on the wrong part of the screen and screw up the whole thing.

The arrow keys seem to work too on chrome/desktop.

Shadowman615

Postby Shadowman615 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:23 pm UTC

tempest69 wrote:
Ideas sleep furiously. wrote:Well, I found a secret lair.

Spoiler:

But how do you escape it?

xkcd.png

I tried going straight through the ground beneath this point and then up and to the right -- same way I got in -- but then I ended up stuck in eternal blackness. :|

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:30 pm UTC

Down in the pool, go right until the screen's black, then start hammering the up key while alternating going left and right for a couple of seconds. That's how I got out.

Also, dang it, the thing times out. I got some coins, left it to work, came back, got a whole pile more... 0 coins.

I'm saddened by the lack of Serenity hiding somewhere. Yes, I know, I should let go...
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Gandalfx

Postby Gandalfx » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:42 pm UTC

dawolf wrote:Out of interest, where in the source does it say 169?

It says

if(L==t.length){A="******" (*'d so it isn't spoilered)

But t.length doesn't equal a number,,,

I don't think anyone answered this so here: In the source is a literal array of the coins' coordinates right at the start (var t = [ … ]). You can just copy paste that array into the js console and add .length to make it spit out the array's length.
The array t isn't in the global namespace, so if you just type t.length into the browser's js console it'll give you an error.

huenthar

Postby huenthar » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:57 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
tagno25 wrote:I you just want to explore, and not play the game, then there are three values you should set.

Set "window.noclip=1" to enable going through everything.
set "window.mewtwo=1" to disable gravity.
set "window.i.am.gandalf=1" to make the character jump higher, travel faster, and get a hat.

#javascript:(function() {window.mewtwo=1;window.i.am.gandalf=1;window.noclip=1;})()

Um, for us rank armatures stuck at work with IE 11, how do you set these?

Well, I don't know Internet Explorer and am also an amateur, but there should be a "console" tool in Explorer somewhere (wasn't hard to find in Chrome), and you can just type in the commands directly into the console as given (type "window.mewtwo=1", etc.). Then change the values back to zero. Worked for me when I got stuck in the black area!

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:14 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Whatever this is, it doesn't seem to work on Safari.

Works fine for me on safari 9.0.1 on 10.11.1.

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:18 pm UTC

EaSea wrote:
Untitled.png

Gah, I was so close! If there really are 169 coins, then I fell 2 short and only got 167

Did you find the floating island above and to the left of the Washington Monument? I believe it had two coins on it... I missed those on my first run through too. :oops:

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:27 pm UTC

speising wrote:So, from all your comments, i assume y'all are seeing more than a black square with a yellow dot?
I guess this is one of those things that don't work in the only Apple approved rendering engine on my device…

Hmmm ... What I see is a bit better, but I also suspect it's not "working" (whatever that may mean). On my Macbook Pro, I see a sort-of maze with a lot of yellow circles, plus two stick figures, one on what's presumably a hoverboard. Twiddling the arrow keys causes the hoverboard guy to move left or right, and sometimes hop up. The down arrow key seems to do nothing. I can get the guy over the lowest barriers, though he never seems to get higher than the first opening tothe right. Sometimes, when he's at or near the "DEPOSIT COINS HERE" thingy, a message appears saying "You got 0 coins in 8 seconds", where the first number is always 0 and the other varies that seems to be unrelated to the number of seconds since the last time such a message appeared.

I'm guessing that those yellow circles are the "coins". They disappear when the hoverboard guy hits them, and then reappear a second or three later. The other guy (standing on a horizontal) seems to do nothing. I once got hoverboard guy to hop up to his ledge, and pass through (or in front of) him, but the still did nothing.

So far, in 10 or 15 minutes of play, I haven't succeeded at getting anything else to happen. Maybe my arrow keys aren't powerful enough to get hoverboard guy up to the other coins? Anyway, I think I'll give up and read the comics in my other tabs. The game sounds like it might be fun if I could get him out of his little pocket, but I haven't stumbled onto any way to do that. I did check with explaincd.com, but it seems to assume you've figured out how to make the game work, and I've obviously failed at that. Or maybe my keyboard has failed, dunno.

I'll check later and see if any usable explanation has appeared.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:33 pm UTC

It's been a long time since high school Latin class, but this does not look write at all to me :P

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:40 pm UTC

Found 165 before checking the thread. Now I see that I missed the floating island (which has two on it). Wonder which other two I missed?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:53 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:It's been a long time since high school Latin class, but this does not look write at all to me :P

Certainly should have been "cum" , tho' translate.google suggests "quando committitur Latine loquentibus" . "cum" is not used as an adverb. And "dico / dicit" is really " I say / he says," not "speak" .

So I know more Latin than Randall but less than google.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:05 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
SpitValve wrote:It's been a long time since high school Latin class, but this does not look write at all to me :P

Certainly should have been "cum" , tho' translate.google suggests "quando committitur Latine loquentibus" . "cum" is not used as an adverb. And "dico / dicit" is really " I say / he says," not "speak" .

So I know more Latin than Randall but less than google.

Nah, cur is 'why'. I'd go with "cur commisi modo loqui latine" (why? I-have-begun just-now to-speak latinly)

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:20 pm UTC

This game gave me a Seiklus vibe.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:29 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:Turn up the contrast on your monitor and you will see that the liquid lava (through which you can move) is a lighter color than the solid rock.

Wow, that's right, the solid walls are RGB(0,0,0) and the go-through walls are RGB(1,1,1).
I made a screenshot of the volcano and increased the gamma value all the way up, so you can see the shape of the area under the lava:
Spoiler:
xkcd1608-volcano-enhanced.png

Might help some to find the way out of it.

I wonder which world is bigger - the Click and Drag world or the Hoverboard one?
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:48 pm UTC

This is fun. :)

NoMouse wrote:I wonder which world is bigger - the Click and Drag world or the Hoverboard one?

I feel like it took longer to get to the sides of Click & Drag. That's just a guess, though.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:50 pm UTC

jc wrote: Maybe my arrow keys aren't powerful enough to get hoverboard guy up to the other coins?
You have to hit up-arrow again and again. Each one gives a short burst of up, but gravity is continuous.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:08 pm UTC

Indeed, "dictar" is not a valid inflection and "committitur" is a third person passive inflection (to be fair, I had to look up both for confirmation).

Znirk wrote:Nah, cur is 'why'. I'd go with "cur commisi modo loqui latine" (why? I-have-begun just-now to-speak latinly)

I like it. :) (of course an eloquent Roman would bitch about your word order)

cjm

Postby cjm » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:15 pm UTC

Lanzaa wrote:Here is a another map people can play with:
Spoiler:

Thanks! That is way more fun than trying to slooooowly hover my way around.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”