1630: "Quadcopter"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Linux0s

1630: "Quadcopter"

Postby Linux0s » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:34 am UTC

Title Text: I always have to turn off nature documentaries when they show these scenes.

But the raising their young scenes are so cute.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

rhomboidal

Re: 1630: "Quadcopter"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:13 am UTC

I took my quadcopter right from its parents' nest. I'm not proud, but they can really be pricey.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:14 am UTC

I reckon there would be less opposition to drone strikes if they actually swooped down on their prey and carried them off. Even better if the IS leader or whoever is deposited in The Hague to stand trial.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

suso

Postby suso » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:48 am UTC

I think Randall got a quadcopter recently. I think Randall also knows that we all got quadcopters recently. :twisted:
Imagine theres no signatures....

suso

Postby suso » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:51 am UTC

Obviously, I missed the animated avatar train.
Imagine theres no signatures....

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:32 pm UTC

So... is BHG operating that flock (fleet?) of 4-copters?

Meanwhile, back at the design factory, work is underway to figure out how to get quadcopters to be silent. Maybe they need to replace the rotary wings with a structure that rotates at 100kHz, so well out of aural range.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:59 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:So... is BHG operating that flock (fleet?) of 4-copters?

Nah. They found out what their colleagues were being sent to do in "Hoverboard", and have rebelled.

Speaking of Hoverboard, is that the last time we saw a black hat, never mind BHG? Is xkcd turning less evil?
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:15 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Maybe they need to replace the rotary wings with a structure that rotates at 100kHz, so well out of aural range.

You just need bigger, multier-bladed props.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:45 pm UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Maybe they need to replace the rotary wings with a structure that rotates at 100kHz, so well out of aural range.

You just need bigger, multier-bladed props.

Maybe... Tho' before looking at the vid, your "bigger,multier..." made me think more of silent submarine drives
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:58 pm UTC

Makes sense. Sub props are designed for quietness, and are larger than quads (not to mention quad props), and also have a larger multitude of blades.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:27 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Maybe... Tho' before looking at the vid, your "bigger,multier..." made me think more of silent submarine drives

I thought that link was gonna take me to a page about submarine tunnel drives (as in Red October). Now that would make for a quieter quad. But in air you'd need essentially an ion drive. Wait ... we have those. Why isn't anyone making those kind of silent flying machines? Is it a power to weight thing?

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:16 pm UTC

Strange things that you can't watch in a nature show listing time! I always have to look away when the camera view is partially underwater and partially above the surface because it makes my eyes water.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:44 pm UTC

Meanwhile, back at the design factory, work is underway to figure out how to get quadcopters to be silent. Maybe they need to replace the rotary wings with a structure that rotates at 100kHz, so well out of aural range.

I only count 3 copters in the abducting flight(? wing?)

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:52 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:

I only count 3 copters in the abducting flight(? wing?)

Also pretty sure 100kHz revs are going to cause a sonic boom, so well inside aural range.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

yakkoTDI

Postby yakkoTDI » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:59 pm UTC

suso wrote:I think Randall got a quadcopter recently. I think Randall also knows that some of us got quadcopters recently. :twisted:

FTFY

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:20 pm UTC

So this comic is set in Soviet Russia, where quadcopters fly you?

Also, that seems like a lot of payload, but then, stick figures probably don't actually weigh much.

Korbl

Postby Korbl » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:16 pm UTC

How many quadcoptors of what size would I need to make a flightsuit capable of lifting 400 lbs?

SDK

Postby SDK » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:25 pm UTC

While accounting for the tyranny of the quadcopter equation?
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

MrT2

Postby MrT2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:20 pm UTC

Quietness for submarine propellers is based on avoiding cavitation (formation of gas bubbles), for drone propellers the noise is vibration, air friction and from the electric motor directly, more and smaller propellers would seem to be a better solution than fewer and bigger.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:42 am UTC

So take "more and smaller" to the extreme, and you've got a suit embedded with nanodrones. Too small to be seen individually with the naked eye, but the suit as a whole appears to, basically, levitate.

Then send one to William Katt, with an instruction book which he'll promptly lose.

Korbl

Postby Korbl » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:00 am UTC

Alternatively, using a watts/kg list I found on stackexchange, I could make a flight suit with some quadcopters using this 6500w motor... I think 3 quadcopters would nearly do it for "3D Acrobatics." Of course, that would run about $6000 for the motors alone...

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:12 am UTC

Please tell me someone is working on self-piloting quadcoptors. Also, why are none of my passwords working?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

ShuRugal

Postby ShuRugal » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:44 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Please tell me someone is working on self-piloting quadcoptors. Also, why are none of my passwords working?

working on? they've been available for years...

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:59 pm UTC

I wonder if they'll learn in quadcopter school that the root for 'wing' is 'opter', not 'copter', or that 'quad' is Latin while 'opter' is Greek.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:44 am UTC

Aiwendil wrote:I wonder if they'll learn in quadcopter school that the root for 'wing' is 'opter', not 'copter', or that 'quad' is Latin while 'opter' is Greek.

surely you meant to say "pter", right?
Though 'tetrapter' sounds a lot less fancy than 'quadcopter'. Then again, staying closer to the original word for 4, tettareptor sounds like raptor. Rapid, (formerly) featherless beasts the size of a turkey.

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:33 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Aiwendil wrote:I wonder if they'll learn in quadcopter school that the root for 'wing' is 'opter', not 'copter', or that 'quad' is Latin while 'opter' is Greek.

surely you meant to say "pter", right?
Though 'tetrapter' sounds a lot less fancy than 'quadcopter'. Then again, staying closer to the original word for 4, tettareptor sounds like raptor. Rapid, (formerly) featherless beasts the size of a turkey.

I have, of course, succumbed to the law of physics stating that anyone posting a grammatical correction will make a grammatical mistake themselves.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:16 am UTC

You're bordering1 on the Etymological fallacy: confusing "derives from" with "means".

The word "helicopter" derives from the Greek roots helico and pter, but it doesn't mean helical wing. It means thing-that-flies-with-rotating-blades. And "copter" is short for "helicopter" in English, no matter what the roots of the latter word might be. And "quad" is an English prefix! (Albeit derived from Latin.) So, mixing the English prefix "quad" with the English word/suffix "copter" is perfectly standard.

Likewise, "television" is not mixing Latin and Greek. It's a Greek prefix (not really formally adopted into English yet, by itself) attached to an English word. Which is still a bit odd, but we have to allow inventors their foibles. Likewise, "megatsunami" is not a mixture of Latin and Japanese. It's a standard English prefix attached to a (rapidly-becoming) standard English word.

1 Of course, you're correct (more-or-less) about the derivations, and they might learn about that in quadcopter school. But that doesn't mean the word is "wrong." I realize you didn't say it was, but in a later comment, you made some mention of posting "a grammatical correction". What you posted was no such thing. Though it was an interesting comment. ;)
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:58 am UTC

Aiwendil wrote:I have, of course, succumbed to the law of physics stating that anyone posting a grammatical correction will make a grammatical mistake themselves.

On another forum I frequent we call it the Law of Recursive Pedantry. Wikipedia says it's Muphry's Law, along with a few other terms.

Also,
Erin McKean wrote:Any correction of the speech or writing of others will contain at least one grammatical, spelling or typographical error.

and it's thus sometimes referred to as McKean's Law.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:18 am UTC

xtifr wrote:The word "helicopter" derives from the Greek roots helico and pter, but it doesn't mean helical wing. It means thing-that-flies-with-rotating-blades. And "copter" is short for "helicopter" in English, no matter what the roots of the latter word might be. And "quad" is an English prefix! (Albeit derived from Latin.) So, mixing the English prefix "quad" with the English word/suffix "copter" is perfectly standard.

Still, if you want linguistic purity, you could either go with "tetrapter" (or my preference "tesserapter"), or with the alternative "quadropennae".

I always found it interesting that the name of Tokyo's largest airport is "Haneda", where "hane" is the Japanese word for "wing".

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:55 am UTC

Reqlly though, it's not a four-winged thing, its a thing with four seta of spinning wings, so you still need that 'helico-' in there any way you spin it. "Tetrahelicopter".
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:50 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:So this comic is set in Soviet Russia, where quadcopters fly you?

Also, that seems like a lot of payload, but then, stick figures probably don't actually weigh much.

Nah, xkcd just has unusually powerful ptera in general (see http://xkcd.com/1598/)

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:22 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:
ps.02 wrote:So this comic is set in Soviet Russia, where quadcopters fly you?

Nah, xkcd just has unusually powerful ptera in general (see http://xkcd.com/1598/)

Would a denser atmosphere increase the lift generated?

XKCD could exist in a world of denser atmosphere where the pressure has compressed them to stick people.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:07 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:Would a denser atmosphere increase the lift generated?

Yup, directly proportional. In the algebraic form of the lift equation anyway. (I don't speak Navier-Stokes.)

You also get the benefit of buoyancy in a denser atmosphere (especially at the density differences you're implying below). Not only do you get more lift, but you need less. Something with the "wing" area of a human can "fly" in water (and more easily in denser salt water than in fresh water.)

XKCD could exist in a world of denser atmosphere where the pressure has compressed them to stick people.

Great, now I'm viewing XKCD characters as insects; all their internal organs in their heads with a few spindly limbs hanging off the bottom.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:37 pm UTC

They are only able to carry their heads due to the increased buoyancy.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SawGani

Postby SawGani » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:08 pm UTC

Can you please share the details of the Quadcopeters you are discussing here?
Which MCU based they are?
Also what are the specifications of the other hardware components?
Can you please tell me the all details here?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”