1641: "Hot Dogs"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eutychus

1641: "Hot Dogs"

Postby Eutychus » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:02 am UTC

Title Text: Okay, I'm just gonna order pizza, and let's never talk about this again.

I don't get this one, and I'm not sure I want to.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

J%r

Re: 1641: "Hot Dogs"

Postby J%r » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:22 am UTC

I remember this line from 'The father of the bride' (Well, without the condom part). But I suppose it is to make people eat 30 hot dogs.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:25 am UTC

Maybe out-of-frame guy knows, but I sure as hell don't.

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:31 am UTC

It's a subversion of a classic conundrum
Whenever visually representing the universe, it's important to include a picture of Saturn!
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:37 am UTC

Well, thank you, that's cleared everything up nicely. Thread over?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:45 am UTC

dtilque wrote:It's a subversion of a classic conundrum

It did save the wise hermit from his task in one Animaniacs episode.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

brandbarth

Postby brandbarth » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:48 am UTC

[...]
Last edited by brandbarth on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:17 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:Well, thank you, that's cleared everything up nicely. Thread over?

Well, of course, Cecil always clears things up.

BTW, I assume you're the famous (infamous?) Eutychus from the SDMB, right? If so, it was a pleasure to have relieved your perplexity.
Whenever visually representing the universe, it's important to include a picture of Saturn!
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:44 am UTC

dtilque wrote:BTW, I assume you're the famous (infamous?) Eutychus from the SDMB, right? If so, it was a pleasure to have relieved your perplexity.

Nope, that ain't me. I'm famous/infamous here, home to not a few xkcd fans.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:50 am UTC

Why do hot dogs come in packs of ten, when no normal person can eat more than three or four of them at once, tops?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:14 pm UTC

I always thought a "hot dog" was the entire "sandwich", sausage+bun. The sausage itself is a frankfurter, a wiener or just a sausage. Is it in fact the case that a hot dog is just the sausage; it's just that they always come in a bun?

Over here condoms come in packs of three or big boxes of, I think, twelve. YMMV but I've generally found that three is enough to get through a night. (Or, these days, a fortnight).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:31 pm UTC

It could be worse -- what if hot dogs came in packages of 10 but hot dog buns came in packages of 4*π ? Then you could never buy enough packages to match all hot dogs to a bun.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:43 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I always thought a "hot dog" was the entire "sandwich", sausage+bun. The sausage itself is a frankfurter, a wiener or just a sausage. Is it in fact the case that a hot dog is just the sausage; it's just that they always come in a bun?

Well, the bread is described as a "hot dog bun", i.e. the bread for a hot dog, but whether that's because it's the bread intended to hold hot dog (that is a sausage) or the bread that is intended to form the hot dog (that is a completed sandwich) is probably something that has become ambiguous over time. Where confusion could arise the "hot dog sausage" (or wiener, or whatever) is the name specifically for the meat-tube. (FCVO 'meat'.)

Consider also burgers. Holding a "burger patty" inside a "burger bap" creates a "burger" (ignoring for now that this is a contraction of "hamburger", which is actually a toponym for the food archetype and not a description in itself), and yet you'd cook your "burgers" (the patties) on a barbecue without an expectation that the bread component (never mind the vegetables and other components) would be part of that same cooking process.

(English as she is spoke, eh?)

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:08 pm UTC

All of my hot dogs come in packages of 8 these days, but I now have to be careful not to buy New England style buns, which come in packages of 6. And that's done solely to piss off the rest of America[no citation needed].

New Englander 1: Well, we'll shave off the sides of the buns.
New Englander 2: Sensible, sensible. We don't really need all that bread, do we?
NE 1: And then sell them -- in packages of 6.
NE 2: We're selling them less bread already and it makes the mismatch worse. Why? WHYYYYY??
NE 1: *5 minutes of maniacal laughter* And now you know too much.
--TRUE STORY
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:42 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
orthogon wrote:I always thought a "hot dog" was the entire "sandwich", sausage+bun. The sausage itself is a frankfurter, a wiener or just a sausage. Is it in fact the case that a hot dog is just the sausage; it's just that they always come in a bun?

Well, the bread is described as a "hot dog bun", i.e. the bread for a hot dog, but whether that's because it's the bread intended to hold hot dog (that is a sausage) or the bread that is intended to form the hot dog (that is a completed sandwich) is probably something that has become ambiguous over time. Where confusion could arise the "hot dog sausage" (or wiener, or whatever) is the name specifically for the meat-tube. (FCVO 'meat'.)

The sausages are usually sold in packages of "Hot Dogs", without the bun. Also, such treats as "hot dog on a stick" exist apart from the bun.

"Hamburger" is a little more interesting. I don't often hear a beef patty referred to as "a hamburger", as you say; "a hamburger" strongly implies a bun and toppings. But the uncooked ground beef is often "hamburger", no article.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:50 pm UTC

J%r wrote:I remember this line from 'The father of the bride' (Well, without the condom part). But I suppose it is to make people eat 30 hot dogs.

I'm familiar with it (the version with the buns rather than the condoms) from The Bulletproof Monk, where our hero attempts to answer it to the eponymous Monk's satisfaction several times over the course of the movie.

peregrine_crow

Postby peregrine_crow » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:06 pm UTC

It (the original conundrum) is obviously to keep a variant of this cycle going.
Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:25 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:The sausages are usually sold in packages of "Hot Dogs", without the bun. Also, such treats as "hot dog on a stick" exist apart from the bun.
"Where confusion could arise...". If you call out to the vendor "can I have a hot dog?" then he's probably not going to pass you just the sausage1.

"Hamburger" is a little more interesting. I don't often hear a beef patty referred to as "a hamburger", as you say; "a hamburger" strongly implies a bun and toppings. But the uncooked ground beef is often "hamburger", no article.

I don't think it's entirely terminologically consistent around my way (ol' Blighty), but outside of other context "a hamburger" would be the sandwich and we'd generally talk of "hamburger meat" for the uncooked (and unformed) meat-material. "Pass me some hamburger" would be a strange construction but would doubtless indicate I was supposed to convey a quantity of the basic meat-stuff while "Pass me some hamburgers" would, if there was a logical choice between whole sandwich and lone patties, probably indicate a selection of the former (pretty much as per "Pass me some burgers", perhaps the more common form).

(Unless the request came from the guy standing at the barbecue, whose lack would usually have been of uncooked patties (or else buns for the newly at-least-half-cooked patties that he was distributing, in which case "buns/baps/bread/whatever" would have been his natural request), ready for him to convert into the freshly-scorched versions, as the first part of the process that will likely result in their entombment within whatever leavened container might have been bought in for the occasion. A call by such an expert-of-the-exothermically-excited-eating-experience for a plated pile of complete burger-sandwiches (or even a single and/or specific one) would likely involve further context. And/or pointed gesticulation because he'd forgotten to retain his own 'working lunch' in his enthusiasm to serve the delicacies. And/or him having just been informed that the crunchy-charcoal-on-the-outside meat-discs were a little too pink on the inside, necessitating his further and more scrupulous attentions upon them.)

1 Although when I was working in Germany, and still getting used the lingo (that I've now mostly forgotten again!) I thought I had the perfect opportunity to avoid saying anything as complex as 'hanchenbrustfillet mit gemusen und reis'/whatever at the office canteen when the person in front asked for what I was at that moment also thinking of having. «Und wieder fur mich, bitte» (or however that went/is spelt, again, given how rusty I now am!), I said, intending something along the lines of "And again for me, please", albeit in somewhat Pidgin-Deutsch. But I must have been a bit nasal in my pronunciation, as I was handed a plate with a single sausage on it. The result of "A (wiener-)sausage for me, please", in other words (It was more of a wurst than a wiener, but I was so obviously ein typische Englander that the server went for his own best interpretation of what he thought he'd heard.)

Quey

Postby Quey » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:55 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I always thought a "hot dog" was the entire "sandwich", sausage+bun.

Tread lightly. The debate over whether a hot dog is a sandwich rages on, even after some hot dog industry group said last November that it is not a sandwich, due to some critical USDA classification or some such.

I've always thought it strange to call hot dogs sandwiches. Hamburgers too, but that makes a lot more sense. But if you go into "cereal is soup" and "salad is anything", people can get really defensive.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:13 pm UTC

Quey wrote:
orthogon wrote:I always thought a "hot dog" was the entire "sandwich", sausage+bun.

Tread lightly. The debate over whether a hot dog is a sandwich rages on, even after some hot dog industry group said last November that it is not a sandwich, due to some critical USDA classification or some such.

I've always thought it strange to call hot dogs sandwiches. Hamburgers too, but that makes a lot more sense. But if you go into "cereal is soup" and "salad is anything", people can get really defensive.

I had no idea about that, but something must have made me put the "sandwich" in scare-quotes. As previously mentioned, I find the word to be ludicrous corporate-speak when used by McDonalds to refer to a hamburger, and extending it to refer to a hot dog was intended to be even more absurd; little did I know that it formed the focus of some extended legal debate.

The hot dogs my mum used to make would have used ordinary British sausages rather than the frankfurter-style jobs, and we'd be more likely to refer to the "bun" as a "roll". This meant that a sausage in a roll was a hot dog, even though a slice of bacon in a roll would be a bacon roll, because a sausage roll was already defined as sausage meat baked in pastry. Then there's a sausage dog, which is something else altogether.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:57 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Consider also burgers. Holding a "burger patty" inside a "burger bap" creates a "burger" (ignoring for now that this is a contraction of "hamburger", which is actually a toponym for the food archetype and not a description in itself), and yet you'd cook your "burgers" (the patties) on a barbecue without an expectation that the bread component (never mind the vegetables and other components) would be part of that same cooking process.

Don't forget that in the "right" (or wrong) places in the UK you can order burger and chips, where no bun is expected. Though in this context "burger" is of course short for beefburger.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:00 pm UTC

C'mon, get with it - it's called "sous vide."

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:02 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
dp2 wrote:The sausages are usually sold in packages of "Hot Dogs", without the bun. Also, such treats as "hot dog on a stick" exist apart from the bun.
"Where confusion could arise...". If you call out to the vendor "can I have a hot dog?" then he's probably not going to pass you just the sausage1.

True. I think the upshot is, though, that the name for the meat is "hot dog". 99% of the time, a served hot dog will include the bun, but if there's no bun, it's still a hot dog.

Similarly spaghetti and meatballs. I'd be shocked to order spaghetti and meatballs and receive it with no tomato sauce on top. But if I say "Hold the sauce", what I'm left with is still spaghetti and meatballs.

I said I don't usually hear the patties called "burgers", but that's not true. I decide to put some burgers on the grill. Even if I do toast the buns as well, it's not as an assembled sandwich.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:06 pm UTC

Here's another conundrum: if hot dogs and buns come in packs of mismatched number, why doesn't a competing producer bring out a bun pack with the same amount of buns as the hot dog pack?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:14 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:what if hot dogs came in packages of 10 but hot dog buns came in packages of 4*π ?
Then I'd have a nice dessert after every two and a half hot dogs.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:18 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:
Here's another conundrum: if hot dogs and buns come in packs of mismatched number, why doesn't a competing producer bring out a bun pack with the same amount of buns as the hot dog pack?

Bun length, jumbo, premium beef, and most novelty franks come in packs of 8. Kosher come in weird and unpredictable numbers. Hot dog buns are are most convenient to package in 8s, where that's less important for hot dogs, which only need to be an even number for stacking.

In the US, hot dog packages are typically 1 lb, which is useful for price comparison purposes. That really means that the most convenient quantity of hot dog to sell is fixed, and the only convenient variable is how that quantity is partitioned. Again, bun-length hot dogs partition it into eight cylinders the length of a bun; this is clearly ideal for pairing with hot dog buns. However, they haven't become the standard, possibly because ten slightly smaller pieces of meat might seem more appealing than eight slightly larger ones. I tend to gravitate to the ten packs because I know I'm going to eat two of them at a given meal, regardless of the weights involved.

Hot dogs also have plenty of applications that don't involve buns. Unless you only ever eat hot dogs in conjunction with buns, there will still be a mismatch. Ghetto American bangers and mash, for instance.

And yes, of course, there are other sausages sold in quantities differing from those of hot dogs but meant to be eaten on hot dog buns which could also upset the system, though those tend to be in 4s and 8s anyway.

I enjoyed this comic.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:15 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:Nope, that ain't me. I'm famous/infamous here, home to not a few xkcd fans.

OK. I hoped you enjoyed your fall out the window then.
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:46 pm UTC

But now there's the trend for "naked" food, where a naked hotdog is just the sausage with no bun, rather than calling it a sausage.

Personally, I have always been confused by the lack of foods that come in packs of five so there's one for each day of the standard working week.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:48 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:It could be worse -- what if hot dogs came in packages of 10 but hot dog buns came in packages of 4*π ? Then you could never buy enough packages to match all hot dogs to a bun.

I can eat 8-12, but only if they are burnt and smothered in chili. I hate the actual taste of hotdog.

The Moomin wrote:But now there's the trend for "naked" food, where a naked hotdog is just the sausage with no bun, rather than calling it a sausage.

Personally, I have always been confused by the lack of foods that come in packs of five so there's one for each day of the standard working week.

Because do you really want to eat something you opened 5 days ago? Frozen works fine, but otherwise I'm leery about it on the third day and throw it out on the fourth.

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:18 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:Image

I don't get this one, and I'm not sure I want to.

You don't understand what the hot dog condom condiment comment meant?

Eternal Density

Re: 1641: "Vital Functions of Hot Dogs"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:24 am UTC

Hotdogs? I think you mean Doctor Hotdog's MonsterSausages. I've only seen them sold by weight, not packaged.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Alex T

Postby Alex T » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:03 am UTC

I don't know, but I usually buy hot dogs in packs of 8, so no extra buns.

keithl

Postby keithl » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:09 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:It could be worse -- what if hot dogs came in packages of 10 but hot dog buns came in packages of 4*π ? Then you could never buy enough packages to match all hot dogs to a bun.

The new packaging concept will be continuous hot dog and continuous bun wrapped around spools. 4*π of bun (or hot dog) is two wraps around the spool.

As a spool adds layers, a wrap gets longer. Steadily shrinking wraps will be good for people easing themselves into a diet. A radian a day keeps the doctor away.

Continous length dispensing spools also solve the metric/english hot dog unit controversy; instead of ordering a foot-long, A European can order a 40 centimeter long and outeat the wussy Yanks.

However, do not attempt to sell pizza the same way. After 6 people purchase one radian slices for three dollars each, selling the 0.283185... radian remainder could cause ordinary cash registers to emit floating point exceptions.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:45 am UTC

But that's ridiculous. How can one pizza contain two pie?
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:32 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:But that's ridiculous. How can one pizza contain two pie?

But I thought 2 are pi...
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:07 am UTC

The Moomin wrote:I have always been confused by the lack of foods that come in packs of five so there's one for each day of the standard working week.

Not food, but food-related, packages of "good" chopsticks typically come in sets of five pairs, because Chinese tradition has it that odd numbers are lucky.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:04 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
The Moomin wrote:I have always been confused by the lack of foods that come in packs of five so there's one for each day of the standard working week.

Not food, but food-related, packages of "good" chopsticks typically come in sets of five pairs, because Chinese tradition has it that odd numbers are lucky.

Not quite: 8 is lucky but it isn't odd (iirc the Beijing Olympics began on 08.08.08). On the other hand, 8 is prime, which is more or less the same thing. Come to think of it, all the lucky numbers on that Wikipedia page are prime.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:47 pm UTC

dtilque wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:But that's ridiculous. How can one pizza contain two pie?

But I thought 2 are pi...

No, pie are round.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:05 pm UTC

OK, now forget all the sausageage: How common is it for condoms to come packaged in sixes, and is there a particular reason?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:45 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:OK, now forget all the sausageage: How common is it for condoms to come packaged in sixes, and is there a particular reason?

Ideally you want a number with a lot of different prime factors, to allow you to perform a wider variety of sex acts with different numbers of participants a whole number of times. Six is the lowest number that meets this requirement.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”