1651 "Robotic Garage"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Wee Red Bird

1651 "Robotic Garage"

Postby Wee Red Bird » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:16 am UTC

Alt: But listen, if getting your car out from under the pile is REALLY important to you, we do have an axe you can borrow.
Last edited by Wee Red Bird on Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1652 "Robotic Garage"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:45 am UTC

This pointlessly complex. Just use an electromagnet instead of a gripper! Cars are made of ferrometal anyway.
And why not use a car compactor first to save on space?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:04 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:This pointlessly complex. Just use an electromagnet instead of a gripper! Cars are made of ferrometal anyway.

What if it has a fibreglass body?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:59 am UTC

Then you apply More Power™ and lift the car by it's engine block. Or it's steel wheels. Or some random steel rails (for example the ones that carry the seat). Or the bolts that hold stuff together. Or the screws in the sunshades in the glove compartment.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:57 am UTC

The magnets even caused the thread to skip a comic number!

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:59 pm UTC

I've missed Black Hat Guy.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:14 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:The magnets even caused the thread to skip a comic quantum number!

FTFY (or not, ask the cat)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:31 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Then you apply More Power™ and lift the car by it's engine block. Or it's steel wheels. Or some random steel rails (for example the ones that carry the seat). Or the bolts that hold stuff together. Or the screws in the sunshades in the glove compartment.

But for an oak car with an oak engine block and oak wheels all fixed together with dowels and dovetail joints it wooden work.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:39 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:But for an oak car with an oak engine block and oak wheels all fixed together with dowels and dovetail joints it wooden work.

Yabba dabba doo to that.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:02 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Then you apply More Power™ and lift the car by it's engine block. Or it's steel wheels. Or some random steel rails (for example the ones that carry the seat). Or the bolts that hold stuff together. Or the screws in the sunshades in the glove compartment.

But for an oak car with an oak engine block and oak wheels all fixed together with dowels and dovetail joints it wooden work.

Sounds lovely. I'd pine for an all-wood car. Heck I'd get a [redacted obscene pun] if there were one. It would be more comfortable with fir-lined seats. The Siri interface might not work, in which case you can sumac.

Yew butternut let me go on like this.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:16 pm UTC

An electric car with all-wood structure and finishing should be possible, as long as you aren't trying to demand too much torque on the wooden axles.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:32 pm UTC

An all wood internal combustion engine has been built. See: http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=176

The builder solved the heat transfer problem with a clever modification of the normal 4-stroke cycle. Engineering down on the farm. Whoda' thunk?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:20 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:An all wood internal combustion engine has been built. See: http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=176

The builder solved the heat transfer problem with a clever modification of the normal 4-stroke cycle. Engineering down on the farm. Whoda' thunk?

It must be said that that is really cool!

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:03 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Then you apply More Power™ and lift the car by it is engine block. Or it is steel wheels...

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:57 pm UTC

This comic reminds me of an idea I had for an elevator. Instead of just going up and down, A robotic arm like the ones in the crane games would pick up the roughly egg-shaped, glass elevator capsule and deliver it to any point on the outside of the building (or the inside, I guess, if there was a large indoor area).
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:44 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:An all wood internal combustion engine has been built. See: http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=176

Hmm, I wonder what he used for valve springs if it's all wood?

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:19 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:

Hmm, I wonder what he used for valve springs if it's all wood?

Damn good question. But the guy is clever, like I said. He got around the electrical system by using a frikkin' flint striking system. The article doesn't say, but there are woods that are flexible enough to use as a spring ... not in a helix shape, of course, but in a flat "reed" pressing against the pushrod. Looked for more detailed plans online but couldn't find anything.

operagost

Postby operagost » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:27 pm UTC

I hear Cub Scouts have been running scale models of all-wood cars for some time.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:42 pm UTC

operagost wrote:I hear Cub Scouts have been running scale models of all-wood cars for some time.

Yeah, that's what they call their Pinewood Derby. But it's all gravity-powered down an inclined plane. We're talking internal combustion here.
Last edited by Heimhenge on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:07 pm UTC

Spring leaf suspensions are easy in wood. I saw a bike trailer made that way.

he/him/his

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:28 pm UTC

Suspensions, yes, but I was talking about the valves that have to open and close over a dozen times per second with the freshly-burnt exhaust gas blowing over them.

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:40 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:Suspensions, yes, but I was talking about the valves that have to open and close over a dozen times per second with the freshly-burnt exhaust gas blowing over them.

Probably more like a dozen times a minute, I suspect that in some cases a skilled archer could approach that rate with a wooden bow.
Note that "to avoid heat" the wood engine builder "eliminated the compression stroke" with also pretty much eliminated any sort of efficiency, it is impressive the engine even powers itself, driving any significant external load is improbabl. I'd be much more interested in what he used for the valves themselves, than for springs (which aren't needed anyway; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmodromic_valve ) I imagine it is likely he used slide valves like a steam engine, not the conventional poppet valves. Also, even in the case of poppet valves the exhaust gases usually don't blow over the springs.

I imagine that with clever use of aluminum, titanium, plastics and ceramics one could build a non-magnetic car with an I.C. engine. Note that while they do exist, electric motors lacking permanent magnets and/or ferromagnetic materials to concentrate the magnetic flux are not very effective. Also, pinewood derby cars use steel nails for axels.
On the other hand if one is going surfing one might want a woody.

MrT2

Postby MrT2 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:12 pm UTC

Aluminium cars (shell and chassis) and aluminium engine blocks already exist, alloy wheels are aluminium or magnesium based, brake discs are usually cast iron but you can get ones made out of composite materials.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:05 am UTC

Must be poplar in Amish country.
Yablo wrote:This comic reminds me of an idea I had for an elevator. Instead of just going up and down, A robotic arm like the ones in the crane games would pick up the roughly egg-shaped, glass elevator capsule and deliver it to any point on the outside of the building (or the inside, I guess, if there was a large indoor area).

I heard someone experimented with intelligent elevators. The elevators got bored with just going up and down and experimented with sideways motion. Eventually they got depressed from the tedium and spent their days in the basement.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:54 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:I heard someone experimented with intelligent elevators. The elevators got bored with just going up and down and experimented with sideways motion. Eventually they got depressed from the tedium and spent their days in the basement.

It's a well-established fact that intelligent elevators love basements.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:05 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
da Doctah wrote:The magnets even caused the thread to skip a comic quantum number!

Well, the comic's number has changed to 1651, but the discussion is still label[l]ed as 1652. This confuses the master forum list a bit, so there's no link back to the comic's new URL.

I wonder if there's a way to fix the hiccup cleanly, so that existing links still work ...

DimitriPUA

Postby DimitriPUA » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:35 pm UTC

My lines are quantum THERE

Wee Red Bird

Re: 1651 "Robotic Garage"

Postby Wee Red Bird » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:25 am UTC

Fixed the number on the thread title.

My uncle made a wooden car. It had wooden wheels and a wooden engine. But when he sat on the wooden seat and turned the wooden key in the wooden ignition, it wooden't go.

Hafting

Postby Hafting » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:24 pm UTC

You'd need a lot of Power™ to lift mine then. Plastic body. No engine block, the electric motor is quite small, and the wheels aluminium. There is a steel frame, but the magnet won't get close due to the body being in the way. Magnets loose lots of strength with distance.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

Hafting wrote:

You'd need a lot of Power™ to lift mine then. Plastic body. No engine block, the electric motor is quite small, and the wheels aluminium. There is a steel frame, but the magnet won't get close due to the body being in the way. Magnets loose lots of strength with distance.

We're not talking about reasonable limits here. You might need a superconducting magnet coil to prevent it from melting though.

he/him/his

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:16 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:

You rang?

The number's not missing; it's just been retroactively edited out of the timeline by Time Lord Randall at some future point when he realised the comic that previously occupied that number wasn't up to his usual standards.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”