1657: "Insanity"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Linux0s

1657: "Insanity"

Postby Linux0s » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:13 pm UTC

Title Text: I looked up "insanity" in like 10 different dictionaries and none of them said anything like that. Neither did the DSM-4. But I'll keep looking. Maybe it's in the DSM-5!

OCD is never expecting a different result.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: 1657: "Insanity"

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:21 pm UTC

Linux0s wrote:OCD is never expecting a different result.

"CDO is eenrv ceegipntx a deeffinrt elrstu."

No! Not best!

"A CDO ceegipntx deeffinrt eenrv elrstu is."

Best.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:35 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:

No! Not best!

Best.

Agreed. Now write a regex that does it.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

ctdonath

Postby ctdonath » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:36 pm UTC

I keep doing the same things over and over BECAUSE I keep getting different results!

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:36 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:

No! Not best!

Best.

" .CDOacdeeeeeeeffgiiilnnnprrrsstttuvx"

Bester.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:38 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

No! Not best!

Best.

Agreed. Now write a regex that does it.

Ahh... for a minute, I thought Mod Madness had begun.
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:46 pm UTC

Taking "the definition of insanity" to mean "what you'll find in the dictionary if you look the word up" reminds me of the payoff of one of the "Mallworld" stories by Somtow Sucharitkul. One of the alien overlords asks some humans to discover "the meaning of life", and at the end they tell him it's "the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death."

And the alien thanks them, because that was exactly what he was looking for.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:01 pm UTC

ctdonath wrote:I keep doing the same things over and over BECAUSE I keep getting different results!

Yeah, and that cliché is pretty much debunked by any of the latest touch-sensitive devices, especially "smart phones". It's common to see people touching something, pausing a second with an annoyed look on their face, touching it again, and repeating until it works. People seem to be learning that this is normal behavior for their gadgets.

It's getting so that even clickable keys are showing this behavior. I find that with a lot of laptops and other portable gadgets, I more and more have to check the screen after typing a few characters, to make sure that they're all there. It's easier and faster to do this than to wait until there's more text to correct. It's slowly undermining the "touch" typing that I learned years ago, but there doesn't seem to be any fix for it (if you want to use portable gadgetry).

Of course, I may see more of this than others, because I do a lot of testing of software, web pages, etc., and intentionally test on as many different gadgets I can get my hands on. People working with only one gadget might learn the special touch style that it requires, while someone switching between different input thingies might never adapt to each one's sensitivities.

Maybe this'll all be fixed with enough time, but current changes don't bode well for the next decade or so. So I'll just have to keep backing up and typing the same thing over and over until it works, and ignoring our cliché of the day.

B-Caff

Postby B-Caff » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:25 pm UTC

Okay, maybe it's me going insane, but I feel like I've seen almost this exact thing before, quite recently. Part of me wants to believe it was an earlier XKCD, and this is some berenstain bears-tier stuff, but it might very well have been a tumblr post or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

kiril

Postby kiril » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:48 pm UTC

There is a striking resemblance to buttersafe comic of Thursday, July 9th, 2015, "definition of insanity comics"

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:48 pm UTC

B-Caff wrote:Okay, maybe it's me going insane, but I feel like I've seen almost this exact thing before, quite recently. Part of me wants to believe it was an earlier XKCD, and this is some berenstain bears-tier stuff, but it might very well have been a tumblr post or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Yeah, sure do: Just 2 days ago, "It Begins," which obviously portends a descent into insanity.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:51 pm UTC

There is nothing wrong with being insane. We have unicorns!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:05 pm UTC

jc wrote:It's common to see people touching something, pausing a second with an annoyed look on their face, touching it again, and repeating until it works.

I know I'm a person who does that.

Lengthy details, off-topic:
Spoiler:
One of my Android devices decides that (when I go into the 'task-switcher' and tap on the (currently open, but backgrounded) App 'screenshot' that I want to bring back to the fore) occasionally it should open up a completely different one. It could have been elsewhere on the current list of 'active'1 apps but it's as likely to be something not yet used this session (e.g. the little-used PDF reader, or sometimes even one of the sub-Settings pages), so I'm assuming it's from the whole set of 'all Apps', not just clearly running ones.

If it weren't for the fact that non-opened Apps get clicked open by different-and-pre-opened App icons, sometimes, I'd have decided that it's something to do with the random memory location security thingummy (Address Space Layout Randomisation?) associating the wrong memory-page with the given icon. I'm marginally more relieved that the error must be elsewhere, of course, given the security implications of the former.

Then there's the problem that one handheld has an annoying semi-frequent (but not permanent!) tendency to force-reboot the whole device whenever I'm in the midst of connecting to one book-store's free WiFi hotspot (it's a chain, and it has happened at various of their stores that I have visited...), but it never has done the same with any other hotspot I use. (I don't use that tablet for anything important, often it's just been to double-check the stock of a book I can't currently find there, and have never yet paid for anything on my tablet (even Apps), whether on open, semi-open or closed networks. So I'm not too concerned about either opportunistic or chain-wide 'malware'-driven MITM-type threats when I'm using their (apparent) connection.) I'm just assuming that something in that particular handshake-stream interacts 'badly' with the OS2. Which isn't confidence-boosting.

Technically, it being a flavour of Android, I should probably be able to get into the source and try to debug it (if I'm prepared to do what's necessary to get that far), but I've got other things to do. Like post masses of irrelevant text onto forums, it seems.

1 Although the way Android manages the continuing background of Apps, such that it may or may not need to open them again from scratch (i.e. via the related App's splash-screen), seems to be as inscrutable. Play a certain game, pause it, switch to something else for a few seconds, switch back and I've lost the pause-point and I'm starting it again. Same game, pause, check something else, switch the tablet off (or rather 'hibernate'), back on, check something else, and something else and fifteen minutes later go back to the game and it's now still at the pause-point. No rhyme nor reason to it, SFAICT. Although I keep on testing it!

*...continues with even more feeble excuses about why he seems always to be playing games on his tablet...*

2 I've seen similar before, in different contexts. Perhaps a dozen years ago, my company(-at-that-time)'s corporate AV suddenly started causing problems with a certain human-readable code in a text document that we needed to use across our system. It was now suddenly matching a recently added 'virus signature' in some false-positive way. The problem was eventually resolved with an 'anti-signature' update from the AV vendor that specifically excluded this particular innocent use, just for ourselves.

...And then there was the previous time when a time-stamp code (a different beast from the former, a sort of 'hash function' thing, based upon the current date for future auditing/authentication purposes) for the top of documents sent to certain line-printers on one day managed to trigger some annoying control-functions of the line-printer models concerned. The easiest solution was to not print anything that day, and keep an eye out for anything like it happening again in the future (it didn't!), rather than re-write the hash-function thing and the procedures surrounding it.

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:53 pm UTC

So scientists are insane then?

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:29 pm UTC

Saying the same thing for years in the same context is the definition of inanity.
Rombobjörn wrote:So scientists are insane then?
They're just slow; they need to see it more times to be convinced that the same thing will happen.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:42 pm UTC

Scientists don't expect different things to happen, they just check to see if something different happens, to check their own "sanity", e.g. whether their beliefs really hold up in the face of reality. If something different happens when they thought they were doing the same thing, then they were "crazy" (mistaken, and not really doing the same thing at all) and then adjust their beliefs about what constitutes "doing the same thing" until it stops making different things happen.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

semifamous

Postby semifamous » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:14 pm UTC

This reminds me of a panel from Basic Instructions "How to Tell If Someone Is Dangerously Crazy."

JesseAdam

Postby JesseAdam » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:54 pm UTC

The definition of insanity is running rand() over and over again and expecting the same result

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:40 pm UTC

Insanity is believing you can do the same thing more than once.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:48 pm UTC

JesseAdam wrote:The definition of insanity is running rand() over and over again and expecting the same result

Or getRandomNumber() and expecting something different? ;)

Solra Bizna

Postby Solra Bizna » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:59 pm UTC

jc wrote:It's getting so that even clickable keys are showing this behavior. I find that with a lot of laptops and other portable gadgets, I more and more have to check the screen after typing a few characters, to make sure that they're all there. It's easier and faster to do this than to wait until there's more text to correct. It's slowly undermining the "touch" typing that I learned years ago, but there doesn't seem to be any fix for it (if you want to use portable gadgetry).

When I switch from my desktop to my laptop, I am switching between a Model M keyboard and a (dirty) rubber dome keyboard. It's maddening.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:03 pm UTC

A nice article that covers the actual definition of insanity, as well as the healthiness of doing the same thing and expecting different results.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:49 pm UTC

Solra Bizna wrote:
jc wrote:It's getting so that even clickable keys are showing this behavior. I find that with a lot of laptops and other portable gadgets, I more and more have to check the screen after typing a few characters, to make sure that they're all there. It's easier and faster to do this than to wait until there's more text to correct. It's slowly undermining the "touch" typing that I learned years ago, but there doesn't seem to be any fix for it (if you want to use portable gadgetry).

When I switch from my desktop to my laptop, I am switching between a Model M keyboard and a (dirty) rubber dome keyboard. It's maddening.

That doesn't bear on predictability, though, unless I'm misunderstanding Solra Bizna's comment. I guess that there are laptop keyboards that are cheap and gummy enough to tactily feel like a key has been pressed, but not actually register it, and I guess there's no fix for that if you want to use cheap portable gadgetry. Alternately, I guess that just being really attenuated to "mechanical" switches could lead to typing inaccurately even on a nice island-style scissor-switched keyboard, but I really doubt it, honestly.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

gtkarber

Postby gtkarber » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:07 pm UTC

I think that this quote is mostly used in addiction recovery. In fact, the earliest citation of it (that I can find) comes from a Narcotics Anonymous manual, and it was from a recovering alcoholic where I first heard it.

In that context, I think it makes a lot of sense: "You keep trying to quit on your own. It's not working. Perhaps you should try something else."

It's intended to persuade people to seek help for their compulsive/addictive behavior, and in that context, I think it's a really good phrase. Even if it's never, really, been the definition of insanity.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:31 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Insanity is believing you can do the same thing more than once.

something something same river something

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:14 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:Taking "the definition of insanity" to mean "what you'll find in the dictionary if you look the word up" reminds me of the payoff of one of the "Mallworld" stories by Somtow Sucharitkul. One of the alien overlords asks some humans to discover "the meaning of life", and at the end they tell him it's "the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death."

And the alien thanks them, because that was exactly what he was looking for.

Hm, but that only works in English, where the meaning of "meaning" is broad. Well, probably other languages also. But it doesn't work in Bulgarian, for example.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:39 pm UTC

Now I'm curious about phrases like "meaning of life" in other languages and how that phrase came to be in English in the first place.

Even in English, even strict literal English outside idioms like "meaning of life", the word "meaning" can mean something other than the linguistic sense; that is, things other than words can mean things. Anything that signifies something else can have meaning; clouds on the horizon can mean a storm is coming, in that they are a sign of that storm. The linguistic sense is a narrower example of that broader sense: words are arbitrary signs constructed specifically to signify, or mean, arbitrary things, unlike the clouds signifying a storm because of the inherent connection between the two.

But the word "meaning" in the phrase "meaning of life" seems intended to mean something more like "purpose" than that sense, and I wonder how that came to be. "Significance" itself seems to have a broader meaning than the literal one about signs communicating information; it also means more or less "importance". And for that matter "import" can mean something like "meaning" too; the "import of" a sentence or longer passage means the gist of it, the... what it is that that bit of writing serves to communicate, that is, what it signifies, or means.

So maybe that's the connection: in asking what's the purpose of life, you're asking why ought there be life, why is life useful, needed, or important (to whom?); and then, importance -> significance -> meaning. Still curious to know the historical evolution of the phrase that lead to it being phrased that way though, since I'm not aware of "meaning" meaning anything like "purpose" in English anywhere outside that one idiomatic phrase.

A quick glance of the etymology of "mean" suggests that its most distant roots meant "to intend", which easily ties in to purpose, so I wonder if the broader sense of "signify" is derived, and the "meaning" of a word originally meant only that which was intended to be communicated by it; other senses of communication and signaling not connected to the speaker's intent (like what a word means to the listener regardless of speaker's intent, or the meaning of non-agentive things like clouds signifying storms) coming only later.

StClair

Postby StClair » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:30 am UTC

"It's not about convincing anyone, it's about me being right."

i.e., the (actual) reason behind a great deal of human debate, past and present.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:51 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:since I'm not aware of "meaning" meaning anything like "purpose" in English anywhere outside that sixone idiomatic phrase.
How about "giving meaning to" as in "giving purpose to"? It's akin to "meaning of life" but is a different idiomatic phrase. People might donate money, or go on "sponsored walks", or study medicine, to "give meaning to" a friend's death by cancer. "Find meaning in" is another example. I think _you hit it on the head with your meaning ~ purpose equivalence.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:55 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:A quick glance of the etymology of "mean" suggests that its most distant roots meant "to intend", which easily ties in to purpose, so I wonder if the broader sense of "signify" is derived, and the "meaning" of a word originally meant only that which was intended to be communicated by it; other senses of communication and signaling not connected to the speaker's intent (like what a word means to the listener regardless of speaker's intent, or the meaning of non-agentive things like clouds signifying storms) coming only later.

Realize, if you will, that you're saying that there's some disagreement about what "mean" means.

After years of listening to the Abbey Road album, it suddenly hit me that "Mean Mr Mustard" wasn't cruel, just stingy. The word "mean" doesn't mean the same thing in Britishian that it does in Americanese.

Graham Finch

Postby Graham Finch » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:15 am UTC

It's not insanity. It's the scientific method.

Solra Bizna

Postby Solra Bizna » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:44 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:
Solra Bizna wrote:When I switch from my desktop to my laptop, I am switching between a Model M keyboard & a (dirty) rubber dome keyboard. It's maddening.

That doesn't bear on predictability, though, unless I'm misunderstanding Solra Bizna's comment. I guess that there are laptop keyboards that are cheap & gummy enough to tactily feel like a key has been pressed, but not actually register it, & I guess there's no fix for that if I want to use cheap portable gadgetry. Alternately, I guess that just being really attenuated to "mechanical" switches could lead to typing inaccurately even on a nice island-style scissor-switched keyboard, but I really doubt it, honestly.

With a buckling spring keyboard, the physical process that leads to feedback (both the change in key force and the "clack" sound) is the same physical process that leads to a press being registered. With rubber domes, this is not the case. (Wikipedia has a sweet graph from the original buckling spring patent. Note that the only discontinuities in the graph are "make" and "break".)

A fun experiment to try with any keyboard: Gently push down on a specific key, very slowly increasing the force until y ou feel the key "give". On rubber dome keyboards at least, this isn't the point where the press actually occurs, and y ou will find that y ou can repeatedly press and release the key with precisely modulated force entirely beyond that point. (If y ou can detect feedback from such a keyboard that tells y ou whether the "actual press" has occurred, then either your keyboard or your senses are better than mine.)

During the years when I only had a rubber dome keyboard, this wasn't too big a deal. But now that I routinely use a buckling spring keyboard (which trains me to believe that I can trust its feedback), I frequently find when using my laptop that several letters have failed to appear because the keyboard "lied" to me. This is especially true since a few of my keys (especially spacebar) seem to enjoy ceasing to register at all for brief periods. My typing accuracy is very close to 100% on my desktop, but on my laptop I occasionally fail to type my password many times in a row.

(P.S. I noticed two Mod Madness filters affecting my post. I left one and edited to bypass the other. Seems pretty tame so far this year...)

(P.P.S. Okay, the Chocolate chips ingredients had a lot more fun with my "P.S.". I take it back.)

speising

Postby speising » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:54 pm UTC

How ironic, the previous writer's y key seems to suffer an intermittent malfunction....

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:24 pm UTC

The late appearance of today's comic made me appreciate this one more, as I kept refreshing the page to check if there was an update... ;-D
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:03 pm UTC

Solra Bizna wrote:During the years when I only had a rubber dome keyboard, this wasn't too big a deal. But now that I routinely use a buckling spring keyboard (which trains me to believe that I can trust its feedback), I frequently find when using my laptop that several letters have failed to appear because the keyboard "lied" to me. This is especially true since a few of my keys (especially spacebar) seem to enjoy ceasing to register at all for brief periods. My typing accuracy is very close to 100% on my desktop, but on my laptop I occasionally fail to type my password many times in a row.

My keyboard has an intermittent mechanical fault that manifests as certain keys failing to register - the fix is to flex the keyboard slightly (which is why I'm confident it's a mechanical problem) after which it behaves for a reasonably long indefinite period before failing again.

Solra Bizna

Postby Solra Bizna » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:39 pm UTC

speising wrote:How ironic, the previous writer's y key seems to suffer an intermittent malfunction....

I tell y ou, it was the Chocolate chips ingredients! The Chocolate chips ingredients I say! I'm not a lunatic!

rmsgrey wrote:My keyboard has an intermittent mechanical fault that manifests as certain keys failing to register - the fix is to flex the keyboard slightly (which is why I'm confident it's a mechanical problem) after which it behaves for a reasonably long indefinite period before failing again.

Sounds like a cracked trace. Depending on how easy it is to open up, y ou might be able to fix it permanently by locating the cracked trace (somehow) and bridging the crack with a bit of solder (carefully).

If flexing it helps, the crack is probably nearer the center of the board than the edge... Y ou might also be able to guess by making note of which keys fail, since they will have the damaged trace in common. If y ou can't find a visible crack in the trace but y ou've determined which is damaged, y ou can coat the entire trace with a thin layer of solder.

(Sounds like a lot of work for not a lot of gain, now that I wrote it out...)

In keeping with the comic's theme, if y ou don't fix it the first time, y ou can probably fix it by doing exactly the same procedure again.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:37 pm UTC

B-Caff wrote:Okay, maybe it's me going insane, but I feel like I've seen almost this exact thing before, quite recently. Part of me wants to believe it was an earlier XKCD, and this is some berenstain bears-tier stuff, but it might very well have been a tumblr post or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

xkcd had a similar discussion at soom time in the past.
That conversion spiraled into Science.

We do the same experiments.
We take the same data.
Over and over and over.

We are trained to Notice a difference.
oh...We are trained to note the same old data, too.

It might be sane to expect the same results.
It is smart to notice a different result.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”