1663: "Garden"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kenmelken

Re: 1663: "Garden"

Postby kenmelken » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:13 pm UTC

Alassieth wrote:Anyone else got a tall (almost to the top of the frame) cypress looking tree? I've not seen any in other pics people have posted and one just appeared in my garden.

I've got one that goes all the way past the top, but it started out only almost to the top. Oddly, no matter what I've tried, I cannot get it to grow branches/leaves on the lower part of the tree. Looks like this:

I also like that in this one, Beret-guy is growing out of the little bush. Apparently his body only exists from about the pancreas upwards.

Spoiler:
TallTree.JPG
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

richP

Postby richP » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:36 pm UTC

Notable features:

* Leaning cactus of Pisa.
* How'd that turtle get up there?
* What I first thought was a baby unicorn about to stand up (left side, under red light)

The unicorn was obscured by a mars rover, we'll see what grows now that I pruned the rover.

Hey, where'd my lamps go? In Firefox a "save image as..." appears to lose the lamps. Interesting.
Attachments
garden_4_5.png

Ugi

Postby Ugi » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:11 pm UTC

Interesting: The garden continues to grow when viewed in an "view only" browser. I can't adjust the lamps etc but I have just gained a balloon (yay!) and a dirty great obelisk!

Edit: and a duck.

Also, I wonder what the effect would be of opening the page many times in multiple windows....could the garden be made to grow 10x as fast?

Paradoxica

Postby Paradoxica » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:21 pm UTC

GENERATION -705 - 992 i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

fatness

Postby fatness » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:24 pm UTC

24 hours of growth. Had to deal with an octopus invasion but since then things have been fairly orderly...

5703f424.jpg

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:08 pm UTC

I've tried to mix things up a little, including casting all three lights down on the same spot (wide or narrow beams, mixed or similar frequencies) to try to force something special, but I only seem to get much 'new stuff' with blue-hue over the depression and red-hue over on the right.

So two different browser versions, with greater or lesser messing about along the way:

Spoiler:
Garden1.PNG
The world of the wet and slimy (kept in line by a brace of killer rabbits!) vs. the world of the sharp and poisonous. And yet the balloon feels drawn to the latter (turtles valiantly racing out of nowhere and jumping up to cap the cactii, it seems).

Spoiler:
Garden2.PNG
Seems to have generated several more flying things. And an architectural feature that's /bound/ to eventually collapse.

Suggestions for features to prune may be honoured.

Alexander the Ordinary

Postby Alexander the Ordinary » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:15 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
rpgamer wrote:I'm curious, has anyone tried pointing the lights upwards? Or is this definitely all about growing things from the ground?

I think if you have one of those tree platforms you could grow something on the underside of it.

Has this worked for anyone yet?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:35 pm UTC

The "use orange light to get flying birds" project has been a success:

Spoiler:
GardenFlyingBirds.png

All three of the birds in this garden definitely spawned out of an empty space tile first. They don't necessarily spawn directly on top of one. The highest bird spawned at about the 1 o'clock position if the blank circle were a clock. The lowest bird and the bird with baggage spawned at 10 o'clock and 11 o'clock from their respective circles. The baggagebird is actually growing out of the desk, like the lower swordMegan.

I did manage to get a hovering Megan in the bee-eating rabbit garden, however she's hovering on the ground so it just looks like she's walking awkwardly. So far I haven't been able to grow anything upside down.

richP wrote:The unicorn was obscured by a mars rover, we'll see what grows now that I pruned the rover.

Whoa! What light did you use to grow the rover?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

MDS_Dan

Postby MDS_Dan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:21 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/1663/#992da30c-fb74-11e5-8001-42010a8e0009
The octopus appears to be growing out of the anvil.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:42 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
kenmelken wrote:I thought the same at first, but then saw Cueball actually appear at one point.

Sadly, even though Megan was already there too, they did not build a castle (at least before the tab reloaded).

Bummer. I'm finding it difficult to Wait for it relax because the spinning tree keeps reappearing and resetting my garden. :?

My garden is also a victim of the Spinning Tree.
I enjoy the images and descriptions other Posters post.

My guess is the Spinning Tree returns and resets my garden
because there are frequent breaks in the Wi-Fi signal to my machine.

How creative some gardens are.
The Octopus on top of the gate is impressive.

And; Yes, umm..Somebody;
I also think the octopus are a nod to the song 'Octopuses Garden'.
Do they grow in the shade?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:03 am UTC

Those circles are most peculiar. I too have some that are empty, but I've also noticed some that belong to objects nowhere near, which can be seen by the objects being faded.

Top one, not one, but two birds are selected, oddly enough the two that look like a butterfly. The middle one, a bird far away from the circle is selected, the one above Meghan's head. And then the bottom one shows that apparently some birds really do listen to ipods, as it's selected as one object.

Spoiler:
xkcda.png

xkcdc.png

xkcdb.png
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:41 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
Alassieth wrote:Anyone else got a tall (almost to the top of the frame) cypress looking tree? I've not seen any in other pics people have posted and one just appeared in my garden.

I've got one that goes all the way past the top, but it started out only almost to the top. Oddly, no matter what I've tried, I cannot get it to grow branches/leaves on the lower part of the tree.

Well, with years to ponder a solution, the maples have decided to lower the sunlight, instead. Screw the oaks.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:25 am UTC

Another floating Meghan almost outside the garden, and another ipod-listening bird. I'm afraid of the yellow light...

Spoiler:
xkcdd.png
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:29 am UTC

I got a second level beehive! Yay!

Spoiler:
GardenDoubleBeehive.png
(Also my Project Stag is coming along nicely...)

ThemePark wrote:Those circles are most peculiar. I too have some that are empty, but I've also noticed some that belong to objects nowhere near, which can be seen by the objects being faded.

In your first screenshot, maybe the birds spawned in the same place, at about 10 o'clock on the blank circle object. Like overlapping turtles. In your middle screenshot, I'd guess that you have two circles chaining and that the bird is built off the second circle. I've noticed a few chains of empty circles around now that I'm playing with mostly orange light. And on your last, you're definitely right - the bird and the iPod are apparently a single object.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:36 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:In your first screenshot, maybe the birds spawned in the same place, at about 10 o'clock on the blank circle object. Like overlapping turtles. In your middle screenshot, I'd guess that you have two circles chaining and that the bird is built off the second circle. I've noticed a few chains of empty circles around now that I'm playing with mostly orange light. And on your last, you're definitely right - the bird and the iPod are apparently a single object.

Yeah, but the thing is that I can click on all those birds and get a circle around them with them faded and in the center. That's how it is for most the circles, they seem to be just the smallest circles that fit around an object and centered around it. And just to add to the insanity, the birds have started moving, just like the trees, as if moved by the wind, not like they were flying.

I am toying with powers beyond my understanding...

Also, I like how the deer in your screenshot grew tree antlers now.

Edit: I mean swaying in the wind.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:46 am UTC

Thanks! Yeah, the birds themselves are single objects. Just as you can select a turtle on a birdbath: you can select the turtle as a single object, or you can select the birdbath, which also selects the turtle since the turtle grew out of it. Same thing with the birds, you can select them individually but selecting the blank objects below will also select every bird spawning out of that blank.

And holy chirp, you're right. :shock: Two of my flying birds are wiggling slightly in the wind.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:50 am UTC

Ahh good, I was afraid I had lost my sanity due to lack of sleep, and was imagining it all, ipod birds, floating Meghans and swaying birds. Also, I just tried selecting a birdbath with ducks in it and you're right. So the odd circles are around something that hasn't yet appeared, but that the birds have grown out of, even though it doesn't exist yet.

I've made the Twilight Zone Universe.

Edit: Also, your cat looks like it's about to attack the deer. Which I guess has grown attached to the tree now and thus cannot move. This will not end well.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:56 am UTC

The tree keeps growing leaves so the deer can probably eat those even though it's trapped by the tree... I didn't think about predation, though!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:17 am UTC

I currently have two octopus fighting over a bush, and two rabbits being... uh, interrupted by one VERY nosey turtle.

I'm not sure whether the obelisk grew a chair, or the chair grew the obelisk, maybe it did it so the bush-fight didn't spill into the rest of the garden?
Attachments
Punchup.JPG
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

Mouse-Keyboard

Postby Mouse-Keyboard » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:10 am UTC

The only unusual thing I've had so far is a bird bath growing mostly off-screen.

http://xkcd.com/#7637eb0a-fa75-11e5-8001-42010a8e0018

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:29 am UTC

I like the new fat cactus at the top of my Cueball-based garden, which is really just two regular cactii snuggled very close to one another:

Spoiler:
GardenFatCactus.png

Middle Cueball is in a table-stacking competition with strongMegan from my other Chrome garden.
He's losing: Cueball has 7 tables stacked here while strongMegan has 13 so far.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Ugi

Postby Ugi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:28 am UTC

I set up two gardens with red light last night. One in a single window and one in ten windows (9 of them read-only). The multi-window garden grew perceptibly faster but nothing like 10x as fast. Possibly twice as fast. Both are deserts of cacti and tortoises.

Ugi

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:17 am UTC

Not too much happening in the garden I started at home today, just a cat, a small tree, and what was a dead tree has some leaves now. I'd post a picture, but it would just look sad next to some of the wonderful creations y'all have been posting.

I'm curious to see what I'll find when I go to work tomorrow. I was out today for jury duty. My work computer seemed to be pretty slow in producing things, but surely it's done something after all this time.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

JontomXire

Postby JontomXire » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:26 am UTC

I don't know when you all started playing with this one, but I saw it for the first time about an hour ago.

Nothing works for me. I only have 1 light while the images posted in this thread have three.

People mention being able to move the lights, but I cannot move mine.

The webpage, and this post, talk about being able to "prune" your garden. The webpage says to click on plants to do this. it doesn't work for me.

I am using an up to date Firefox on Linux.

Can anyone offer any advice?

EDIT: Tried with Firefox on Windows VM and IE on Windows VM and I have the same problem.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:41 am UTC

The bush in my hot spot garden has grown a shield against one of the lights.
I originally pointed all three lights on a tiny spot. That yielded the brush. I was hoping it would yield a fire or something. When the bush appeared I reconfigured the lights to point at the whole bush.
Spoiler:
hot spot.png
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

DonJaime

Postby DonJaime » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:06 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:The bush in my hot spot garden has grown a shield against one of the lights.

Looks like a little cactus to me.
I don't think 'pedant' is really the right word.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:08 am UTC

I did manage to get a single star plant on my night garden. More worryingly, in my yellow garden Cthulhus hunger grows by the hour, and it has now caught one of the Meghans. :(

Spoiler:
xkcde.png

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:15 am UTC

JontomXire wrote:I don't know when you all started playing with this one, but I saw it for the first time about an hour ago.

Nothing works for me. I only have 1 light while the images posted in this thread have three.

People mention being able to move the lights, but I cannot move mine.

The webpage, and this post, talk about being able to "prune" your garden. The webpage says to click on plants to do this. it doesn't work for me.

I am using an up to date Firefox on Linux.

Can anyone offer any advice?

EDIT: Tried with Firefox on Windows VM and IE on Windows VM and I have the same problem.

Try this link instead: http://linden.xkcd.com/ The original link didn't work well for me, and others, I guess, but I had more luck with this one.

ETA And it does take a while.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

DonJaime

Postby DonJaime » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:35 am UTC

7 pages in and still no coherent research program? At least the following questions urgently require clarification, preferably by rigorous statistical analysis of a large sample of controlled gardens running on dedicated servers:

1. What may grow?
  2. How many distinct colours of light are available?
  3. Which growths are associated with which colours?
  4. Is light intensity important:
    1. Distance from source?
    2. Beam width?
  5. What is the effect of location on the probabilities of the different kinds of growth?
  6. Does the likelihood of growth vary over time:
    • Growth in general?
    • Some growths?
    • Period(s) of variation:
      • Days?
      • Seasons?
  7. Which growths depend on the presence of others (as branches depend on trees), which growths are independent?
  8. Are there any other correlations between growths, apart from such dependencies?

Also: don't think I've seen one of these before
canvas.png
canvas.png (10.01 KiB) Viewed 4890 times
I don't think 'pedant' is really the right word.

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:53 am UTC

I wonder when Black Hat turns up and sets fire to the trees using a magnifying glass.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:15 am UTC

DonJaime wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:The bush in my hot spot garden has grown a shield against one of the lights.

Looks like a little cactus to me.

Oh yes, there is also a little cactus at the base of the bush. I mean the giant stalk that is standing to it's right, shielding it from the light.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:01 pm UTC

DonJaime wrote:At least the following questions urgently require clarification, preferably by rigorous statistical analysis of a large sample of controlled gardens running on dedicated servers:

I too would very much like to know the answers to these questions, although not enough to personally embark on such a research program myself ... but definitely enough to keep refreshing this page in the hope that somebody else has.

It seems clear that certain colours produce certain objects, i.e. blue light = octopus, red light = tortoise and cactus. It also seems that objects tend to come in groups, so once you have a certain thing you are more likely to get more of that thing.

I haven't noticed any particular pattern with light intensity, either distance or beam width, or with the effect of pruning on future growth.

Maybe there are some initially assigned parameters which affect how well a garden grows? I had one which grew a pair of octopuses and then nothing more in a 24 hour period, regardless of how much I meddled with it or left it alone. I then reloaded and started a fresh garden in the same browser tab and grew all sorts of things within an hour or two.

JontomXire

Postby JontomXire » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:37 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Try this link instead: http://linden.xkcd.com/ The original link didn't work well for me, and others, I guess, but I had more luck with this one.

ETA And it does take a while.

Doesn't work either for me - still cannot click on anything.

Looks like I'll be missing out on the fun this time around.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:51 pm UTC

Seems like we'll have to use linden.xkcd.com now, as today's comic shows instead despite the ID.

Ceetar

Postby Ceetar » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:03 pm UTC

It's cactii and turtles all the way up....off the table growing out of a deer shitting in a pot on a tree.

..except for the one turtle that climbed the wrong tree and is despondent about it. someone call the hot line.
Attachments
garden.jpg

rainycity1

Postby rainycity1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:07 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:Seems like we'll have to use linden.xkcd.com now, as today's comic shows instead despite the ID.

I think I have an active page through http://xkcd.com/1663/
"xkcd: Lowering workplace productivity since 2005!" - by lmjb1964

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:12 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:Seems like we'll have to use linden.xkcd.com now, as today's comic shows instead despite the ID.

I just noticed that as well. Even when the URL is clearly to a specific garden, it takes you to the new comic about fungi cultivation.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

rainycity1

Postby rainycity1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:13 pm UTC

XKCD_garden-2.png

Lovely, if a bit Lovecraftian.....

rainycity1

Postby rainycity1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:21 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:

I just noticed that as well. Even when the URL is clearly to a specific garden, it takes you to the new comic about fungi cultivation.

I inserted /1663/ after xkcd.com and before the garden identifier and I got my garden back, e.g.,
http://xkcd.com/1663/#77b3c5f2-fb3e-11e5-8001-42010a8e000e

It acquired a bird shortly afterwards as well, so it appears to still be active.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:26 pm UTC

DonJaime wrote:Are there any other correlations between growths, apart from such dependencies?

At one point I thought I found a correlation between light-colour and winds...

Balloons (and not-yet-ballooned balloon-string/stick-things) that easily blow in the wind seemed to always be blown away from blueish-shaded areas of light (if predominantly on one side) towards redish-shaded areas of light (if predominantly upon the other).

Although I then (after a lot of playing about) I think I got an inverse result. Could be browser-instance dependant, of course, the ID seeding the tendencies (or existence) of such behaviours.

(I'd experiment further, but I need the processor power for something else right now...)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”