1682: "Bun"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Re: 1682: "Rabtor"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 19, 2016 10:10 am UTC

This is bizarrely silly.

Subquantum bun decree: discuss buns you own, or that own you. (They own you if they're smaller than you.)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ShuRugal

Re: 1682: "Bun"

Postby ShuRugal » Thu May 19, 2016 11:54 am UTC

I held a king-bun in my hands the other day. It was in the loading dock behind my company HQ. I moved it to the field across the road so it wouldn't get squished by a car.

Instead it probably got eaten by the pair of kestrels which I have seen here recently. I feel that I have done my civic duty to both predator and prey.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu May 19, 2016 12:53 pm UTC

ShuRugal wrote:Instead it probably got eaten by the pair of kestrels which I have seen here recently. I feel that I have done my civic duty to both predator and prey.
WILL NOBODY THINK OF THE CARRION-EATERS!?!

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu May 19, 2016 1:19 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:
mosc wrote:Small bunny Owsla ftw!

(go read watership down)

But under this system, Fiver could simply have ordered the bigger rabbits to go somewhere safer, instead of struggling to persuade them every time...

exactly
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu May 19, 2016 1:51 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
ShuRugal wrote:Instead it probably got eaten by the pair of kestrels which I have seen here recently. I feel that I have done my civic duty to both predator and prey.

A vulture goes to board a plane carrying two dead raccoon1. The check-in agent stops him and says, "I'm sorry, but each passenger is only allowed one carrion."

1 - Huh. Evidently the plural of raccoon is raccoon. Thanks, auto-correct!

Soup

Postby Soup » Thu May 19, 2016 2:57 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

A vulture goes to board a plane carrying two dead raccoon1. The check-in agent stops him and says, "I'm sorry, but each passenger is only allowed one carrion."

1 - Huh. Evidently the plural of raccoon is raccoon. Thanks, auto-correct!

:roll: :lol: 8-)
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu May 19, 2016 6:30 pm UTC

slinches wrote:Do people actually use "bun" to refer to rabbits? What, is bunny too long?

I've never heard it. I'd have found it funnier if it had been "bunny", but maybe I'm missing something.

The style of the third frame is kind of unusual for xkcd, somehow.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu May 19, 2016 8:00 pm UTC

When I first read it, I thought it might even have been a commentary on The Sun (sun/bun, i.e.) just being a star. And not particularly exemplorary except for it being our sun/star.

But I abandoned that idea when size h(ie|ei)rarchy was mentioned, deciding it was actually rabbits, after all (after a quick conceptual leap into fast-food, with the "king bun" making me think of some kind of burger or other).

wdfarmer

Postby wdfarmer » Fri May 20, 2016 6:58 am UTC

Hazel-rah!

taifu

Postby taifu » Fri May 20, 2016 10:25 am UTC

Keyman wrote:
cespurgeon wrote:OK, I'll admit it, I have no idea what #1682 is about, or what the humor is. Can someone provide me with an explanation?

When in doubt.... http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1682

I do particularly like this snippet:
In the original version the word hierarchy in the 2nd panel was misspelled as heirarchy.
Later this was corrected with an updated version with this word spelled correctly.
To begin with there where some funny thoughts about if this was intentionally due to the closeness to hare and heir:
The word "hierarchy" is misspelled in the comic as "heirarchy", which is most likely intentional to evoke the pronunciation "hare-rarchy", as in "a hierarchy of hares". It might also be a portmanteau of "heir" and "hierarchy", reflecting the highest status being accorded to the youngest rabbits.
This was obviously not the case but a good example of how much comics are over analyzed here on explain xkcd...

That snippet was removed but it's visible here: http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.p ... did=120370

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Fri May 20, 2016 10:36 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:"over analyzed"? "over-analyzed"? "overanalyzed"?

(Nevermind. I'd spell them all with an 's' instead of a 'z', but for the sake of transatlantic (trans-Atlantic? tranz..?) harmony...)

So would I, but there's no way I'd compound "never mind". :)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Fri May 20, 2016 10:41 am UTC

The Moomin wrote:Whereabouts do bread buns, fairy buns and chocolate buns come?

For those thinking that "bread bun" is tautological, I should point out that people from Yorkshire use "bun" where the rest of us would use "cake". The first time I heard somebody announce that she'd brought buns into the office to mark her birthday, I was confused to see a selection of French fancies and the like.

I also had to ask for help with the Christmas night out itinerary that included "going for snap". I will leave that one as an exercise for the readers.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri May 20, 2016 11:54 am UTC

CharlieP wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:"over analyzed"? "over-analyzed"? "overanalyzed"?

(Nevermind. I'd spell them all with an 's' instead of a 'z', but for the sake of transatlantic (trans-Atlantic? tranz..?) harmony...)

So would I, but there's no way I'd compound "never mind". :)

Haven't you heard of the Nevermind? Its lobes are so terrifying that people think they're dead when they see it.

HES

Postby HES » Fri May 20, 2016 12:02 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:The first time I heard somebody announce that she'd brought buns into the office to mark her birthday, I was confused to see a selection of French fancies and the like.

Ah yes, the birthday bun run. Which is actually a cake walk. Which might not be a cakewalk if it turns out the bakery is low on stock.
He/Him/His Image

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri May 20, 2016 5:18 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:For those thinking that "bread bun" is tautological, I should point out that people from Yorkshire use "bun" where the rest of us would use "cake".

That doesn't seem to make a difference in the possible tautology, since cake is a kind of bread.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Coyoty

Re: 1682: "Rabtor"

Postby Coyoty » Fri May 20, 2016 7:00 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:This is bizarrely silly.

Subquantum bun decree: discuss buns you own, or that own you. (They own you if they're smaller than you.)

And some will pwn you.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Fri May 20, 2016 9:12 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
CharlieP wrote:For those thinking that "bread bun" is tautological, I should point out that people from Yorkshire use "bun" where the rest of us would use "cake".

That doesn't seem to make a difference in the possible tautology, since cake is a kind of bread.

I refuse to accept that cake is a kind of bread. It's clearly just convergent evolution.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

fibonacci

Postby fibonacci » Mon May 23, 2016 6:31 am UTC

My anaconda quite enjoyed this comic. It's got buns hun.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”