1688: Map Age Guide

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

measure

Re: 1688: Map Age Guide

Postby measure » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:23 pm UTC

cct wrote:The initials "TMR" are slowly moving across this map toward my location.

Oddly enough, the same initials also appear at my location and move as I do.

Mouse-Keyboard

Postby Mouse-Keyboard » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:19 pm UTC

So apparently this is a stapler:

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:38 am UTC

Confused: The first question is "Istanbul, Constantinople, or neither".
"Neither" would point to a time (long ago) when it was called Byzantium, or didn't exist. Yet the "neither" path goes to "Does the Ottoman Empire exist?"
Needless question, because if Istanbul and Constantinople don't exist, then neither does the Ottoman Empire.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:51 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:Confused: The first question is "Istanbul, Constantinople, or neither".
"Neither" would point to a time (long ago) when it was called Byzantium, or didn't exist. Yet the "neither" path goes to "Does the Ottoman Empire exist?"
Needless question, because if Istanbul and Constantinople don't exist, then neither does the Ottoman Empire.
Or the map isn't detailed enough to include it. (I'm assuming that's what was intended.)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:52 am UTC

Well they already specified that the map is sufficiently detailed.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:08 am UTC

Oh I get it ... if it is in English then it's not Byzantium.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:11 am UTC

"Detailed enough", but it doesn't specify detailed enough for what, exactly. Presumably, if Istanbul isn't indicated, but all of the other things in that chain are, then it was detailed enough....
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:18 am UTC

Ah it's okay, I should have followed it through before shooting my mouth off. If you are set before the modern era, you end up at "1805 or earlier: before this point, the modern idea of a complete political map of the world gets hard to apply".

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:24 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:Confused: The first question is "Istanbul, Constantinople, or neither".
"Neither" would point to a time (long ago) when it was called Byzantium, or didn't exist.

It's rather more complex than that.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:28 am UTC

measure wrote:
cct wrote:The initials "TMR" are slowly moving across this map toward my location.

Oddly enough, the same initials also appear at my location and move as I do.

My map has "TMA0" on it.

armandoalvarez

Postby armandoalvarez » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:51 am UTC

I was going to say that maps during the Ottoman era often label the Ottoman Empire as "Turkey" but Randall covered that: If you say, "No" to "Does the Ottoman Empire exist?" you can still circle back to questions that will lead you to the Ottoman era.

I would assume that during many of these periods, there were map-labeling disputes, analogous to the modern Burma/Myanmar controversy, though, so maybe that is another caveat we should read into this.

eidako

Postby eidako » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:45 am UTC

Does the warning mention the spiders?

All rise for the planetary anthem.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:54 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Highly enjoyed this one, especially the esoteric centre.
Just for OCD fun, here are the (conventional) dates, ordered to show continuity/otherwise (decade-ranged ones in italics) and the choices needed to get there...

Spoiler:
Pre-1805: Constantinople; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; Holy Roman Empire
1806-1810: Constantinople; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; Mexican Texas; Spanish Florida; Paraguy
1811-1817: Constantinople; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; Mexican Texas; Spanish Florida; no Paraguy
1818-1829: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; Mexican Texas; US Florida; no Venezuela|Equador
<1830s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; prairie Indianna
1830-1833: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; Mexican Texas; US Florida; Venezuela|Equador
1830s-1880s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; prairie-edge Mississippi
1834-1845: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; loneTexas
1846-1853: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; US Texas; no Russia/Sea Of Japan; weird US southern border
1854-1856: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; US Texas; no Russia/Sea Of Japan; normal US southern border
(1857?)
1858-1867: Constantinople/Ottomans; no ind. Canada, US Alaska, Tokyo; no Holy Roman Empire; USA; US Texas; Russia on Sea Of Japan
1860s-1900s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; prairie-edge Nebraska; accidental SoCal Lake
1868-1872: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; no Rodesia; Bolivian coast; Buda+Pest
1873-1883: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; no Rodesia; Bolivian coast; Budapest
1884-1895: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; no Rodesia; Bolivia landlocked
1896-1905: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; Rodesia; Norway is Swedish
1906-1909: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; no South Africa; Rodesia; Norway not Swedish
1910s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; prairie-edge Nebraska; no accidental SoCal Lake
1910-1912: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; South Africa; Austria-Hungary; no Albania
1913-1918: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; South Africa; Austria-Hungary; Albania
1919-1923: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; South Africa; no Austria-Hungary; no Leningrad
1920s-1950s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; no american prairies; no Ghanan lake
1922-1932(overlaps): no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; no Saudi Arabia
1924-1929: Constantinople/Ottomans; ind. Canada|US Alaska|Tokyo; South Africa; no Austria-Hungary; Leningrad
1930-1934: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; no Pakistan; Germany; Persia
1935-1940: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; no Pakistan; Germany; Iran
1941-1945: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; no Pakistan; rampant Germany!
1946-1947: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; no Pakistan; divided Germany
1948-1949: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; no Bangladesh; Brits south of Lake Victoria; Hot Springs on I25
1948: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; no Cambodia; Italian Eritrea; incomplete Canada
1949-1952: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; no Cambodia; Italian Eritrea; complete Canada
1950-1952: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; no Bangladesh; Brits south of Lake Victoria; Truth Or Conequences on I25
1952-1953: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; no Cambodia; Ethiopian Eritrea
1954-1957: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; Cambodia; no UAR
1958-1960: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or... wait, Norway is marked; Pakistan; Cambodia; UAR
1960s-1970s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; Lake Chad; no american prairies; purposeful Ghanan lake
1961-1964: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; no Bangladesh; Tanganyika south of Lake Victoria;
1965-1971: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; no Bangladesh; Tanzania south of Lake Victoria;
1972-1975: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; French West Africa or two Vietnams; Bangladesh
1976-1979: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Israeli Sinai
20/Apr/1979: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter assaulted by massive amphibious lagomorph
1980: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; mostly Israeli Sinai
1981: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; mostly Egyptian Sinai
1982-1984: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Kolonia; Upper Volta
1985-1988: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Kolonia; Burkina Faso
1989-early 1990: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Palikir; Four Yemens+Germanys
1970s-1990s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; no Lake Chad; Aral Sea
Mid 1990: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Palikir; Three Yemens+Germanys
Late 1990-1991: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans; Soviet Union; Saudi Arabia; non-French West Africa; one Vietnam; Jimmy Carter ok; Egyptian Sinai; Palikir; Yemen+Germany (both singular)
1992-1996: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; Zaire/British Hong Kong
1997-2001: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia Montenegro; no East Timor
>2000s: no Istanbul/Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union/North Korea or anything political; no Lake Chad; no Aral Sea
2002-2006: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia Montenegro; East Timor
2007-2011: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudan
2012-2013: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudans; undisputed Crimea
2014-2021: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudans; disputed Crimea; Colorado
2022: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudans; disputed Crimea; Radioactive Exlusion Zone; Spiders???
>2023: no Constantinople/Ottomans/Soviet Union but North Korea; no Zaire/British Hong Kong; Serbia and Montenegro; Sudans; disputed Crimea; Radioactive Exlusion Zone; Spiders!!!

(I hope Randall hasn't seen fit to 'correct' anything whilst I was editing that...)

And the question
ronzie9 wrote:What drug(s) do you need to be on to be able to focus the amount of mental energy it takes to produce something like this just to amuse yourself and a bunch of nerds on the internet, and where can I get some?

comes to my mind again. Apparently you're not the kind of guy with university exams coming up :)
—◯-◯

jonhaug

Postby jonhaug » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:02 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:What else, besides Byzantium, Constantinople, and Istanbul, has there been there?
Lygos, Augusta Antonina and Basileuousia, among others, I think.

Miklagard

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_ ... #Old_Norse

teelo

Postby teelo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:27 am UTC

Oh Randall. Theres an entire continent you completely ignored that could have given you pre-1805 dates.

Australia (Netherlands) or Australia (Britain)?
Netherlands: 1606-1769
Britain: 1770-1805

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:31 am UTC

What is this mysterious Terra Australis you speak of?
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

teelo

Postby teelo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:59 am UTC

*Terra Nullus

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:14 pm UTC

Mouse-Keyboard wrote:So apparently this is a stapler:

Spoiler:

Why are you not sure that's a map?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:14 pm UTC

wolf99 wrote:So many other books that could epically fit on here: the man in the high castle, the dark tower series

@cellocgw: whats the syrian tower?

I suspect the one in Iraq, in the city now known as Babylon, sometimes known as Babel.

pt

Lothario O'Leary

Postby Lothario O'Leary » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:28 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote::( Does not have option for Byzantium at the start.

Yeah, I initially assumed that the "Neither" option must be for Byzantium and was then surprised when it lead to relatively modern dates. What else, besides Byzantium, Constantinople, and Istanbul, has there been there?

Kostantiniyye. Stamboul. Islambul (or Islambol).
Bosp(h)orus, Marmara, Golden Horn (if it's any of those three, you probably have a physical map).
If whoever is reading the map happens to be sufficiently pedantic, Byzantion, Constantinopolis, or İstanbul (okay, not really the last one).

And that's only the options that would make sense on a post-1805 map (except maybe Byzantion); there are lots of other possibilities (notably Tsargrad and Miklagard) if we go earlier.
I also would have liked the "Do you see the familiar continents" : "No" path to include Pangaea.

Or better still, a whole chain of steps asking about the continents ("Gondwanaland?," "Sea of Tethys?", etc) that lead to actual prehistorical periods.

That would've been nice, I agree. (As would be a version that includes different Solar System objects instead.)

Anyone planning to make a wiki-based interactive version (or something like that) that includes any of the assorted suggestions?

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:11 pm UTC

Lothario O'Leary wrote:Anyone planning to make a wiki-based interactive version (or something like that) that includes any of the assorted suggestions?
I have in mind something, especially as I am working with map data on another project, but not in Wiki form (the way I envisage it, that wouldn't be useful) and to be honest it'll probably remain conceptual unless I set aside some time to create/derive all the xkcdification resources that would be essential to do it justice...

Still, I've got it on my transient bitbucket list, so you never know!

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:32 pm UTC

From the node "Is the world on the back of a turtle", there should be a loop branch back to itself to represent the world view where it's "turtles all the way down".
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:01 pm UTC

I've got a real world example of this. In my lodge, there's an old globe, and I'd like to date
it. One of the things I know is that it depicts the Orange Free State, which existed from
1854 to 1902. So I know it's at least that old.

The lodge was chartered in the late 1850s, and I suspect the globe dates to then. What
other indicators should I look for to tie the date down more tightly?

svenman

Postby svenman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:03 pm UTC

"Neither" would point to a time (long ago) when it was called Byzantium, or didn't exist.

Or to a map that shows no cites at all, or capitals only. The capital of Turkey was moved from Constantinople to Ankara in 1923. In 1930, the official name of the city (which had not been formally defined until then) became Istanbul (that name had already been in current use in Turkish for a long time, but often understood as only referring to the historical inner city).

How has this not been linked to yet?

teelo wrote:*Terra Nullus

[pedantic]Terra nullius.[/pedantic] Sorry, seven years of Latin at school will do that to you.

herdi42 wrote:OK this one is very good, but looking at the history of Germany shortly after WW2, I find the two Germanies bit confusing: Things were a bit more complicated at least in this period of time, especially in 46-47. Between 45 and 48 you could assume any number of Germanies between 1 and 5, depending how you define a "Germany".

Indeed. The status of Germany was also viewed differently by different countries, resulting in maps from the same time but produced in different countries looking differently (Germany is just one example of many similar ones, of course). This especially includes maps not actually showing a huge Germany in the 1941-44 period if produced in countries that refused to acknowledge the legitimacy of Germany's wartime annexations at that time.

Regarding the number of Germanys on a map from the 1945-48 period, the four allied zones of occupation were by all parties involved seen as temporary and not effecting a partition of Germany into separate countries. However, in 1946 the Saar district was detached from Germany and effectively became a French protectorate, nominally an independent country, until 1957 when it was incorporated into West Germany.

West and East Germany came into existence as separate states in 1948, but it would take a whole lot longer for the two of them to acknowledge the legitimacy of each other's existence. The whole situation was further complicated by different governments' opinion of the status of the territories east of the Oder-Neisse line that had been German between the two World Wars and turned over to Poland and the Soviet Union in 1945; this would not be finally settled until 1990. As a result, especially in the period from 1948 to 1970, the number of territories shown as being part of Germany was even more variable, depending on the map's country of origin, than in the 1945-48 period. (After 1970, West Germany effectively acknowledged that even a reunited Germany was not going to ask for those territories back, but insisted that their legal status was still open.)
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:50 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Lothario O'Leary wrote:Anyone planning to make a wiki-based interactive version (or something like that) that includes any of the assorted suggestions?
I have in mind something, especially as I am working with map data on another project, but not in Wiki form (the way I envisage it, that wouldn't be useful) and to be honest it'll probably remain conceptual unless I set aside some time to create/derive all the xkcdification resources that would be essential to do it justice...

Remember to merge in the Watson Medical Algorithm strip for bonus points... ;-P
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:58 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

Remember to merge in the Watson Medical Algorithm strip for bonus points... ;-P

And show the corresponding map in the Waterman Butterfly Projection.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Morgan Wick

Postby Morgan Wick » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:05 pm UTC

sfmans wrote:Worth it just for the Jimmy Carter killer rabbit. Somehow I'd missed knowing about this until now ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_rabbit_incident

Apparently you haven't seen https://xkcd.com/204/

Surprised there are two responses linking to YouTube videos and none linking to that, which I figured that was a reference back to.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:04 pm UTC

Morgan Wick wrote:
sfmans wrote:Worth it just for the Jimmy Carter killer rabbit. Somehow I'd missed knowing about this until now ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_rabbit_incident

Apparently you haven't seen https://xkcd.com/204/

Surprised there are two responses linking to YouTube videos and none linking to that, which I figured that was a reference back to.

204?? You could put that reference in the prior "Feel Old" thread, too. :wink:
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

epsilonacetate

Postby epsilonacetate » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:41 pm UTC

disappointed that it doesn't classify this:

teelo

Postby teelo » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:49 am UTC

[pedantic]Terra nullius.[/pedantic] Sorry, seven years of Latin at school will do that to you.
Law school (New Zealand) taught it to me as Terra Nullus.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:33 pm UTC

epsilonacetate wrote:disappointed that it doesn't classify this:

It kind of does, apparently "It's very nice".
—◯-◯

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”