1690: "Time-Tracking Software"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thunk

1690: "Time-Tracking Software"

Postby thunk » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:24 am UTC

Alt text: 'List of helicopter prison escapes' and 'List of sexually active popes' are both entertainingly long, but sadly there's no 'List of helicopter prison escapes involving sexually active popes.'

To be fair, I haven't been doing much work today either. Too much Time on my hands.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

rhomboidal

Re: 1690: "Time-Tracking Software"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:38 am UTC

I found "List of helicopter prison escapes" only a quarter as entertaining as "List of quadcopter prison escapes."

Kalium_Puceon

Postby Kalium_Puceon » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:16 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I found "List of helicopter prison escapes" only a quarter as entertaining as "List of quadcopter prison escapes."

I can't see how that would work, unless you had a swarm of quadcopters to distract the guards while you made a run for it.

Maybe it's using a quadcopter to smuggle stuff in? A drone flies into prison with a cake, the cake is actually hiding a file.

If I had one of these it would have a quarter "Reading webcomics" and another quarter of "Messing around with the key and instuments of MIDI files."
"You never get over the desire to do stupid things. You simply have to overrule your stupid urges with an acquired sense of fear."

-Dr. Richard Weisiger

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:40 am UTC

Kalium_Puceon wrote:
rhomboidal wrote:I found "List of helicopter prison escapes" only a quarter as entertaining as "List of quadcopter prison escapes."

I can't see how that would work, unless you had a swarm of quadcopters to distract the guards while you made a run for it.

Maybe it's using a quadcopter to smuggle stuff in? A drone flies into prison with a cake, the cake is actually hiding a file.

If I had one of these it would have a quarter "Reading webcomics" and another quarter of "Messing around with the key and instuments of MIDI files."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L75ESD9PBOw
Get a big one (or nail a few together). Drop it in to the prison yard at the right moment and bob's your uncle.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:34 am UTC

I had to stop reading the helicopter page. The urge to edit so many of the detailed explanations for obvious errors...

(e.g., currently, "...claimed the Bella tried to force them down.." Either "...claimed the Gazelle.." (helicopter make) or just plain "...claimed Bella..." (the apparently coerced pilot). At least that one's an "either/or, it'll be right whichever way", but I'd have to check the facts for the others, and then I'd be eating into my allocated "eating" time and I'd get hungry...)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:45 am UTC

wow -- has it really been 500 comix since the initial frame of TIme?

Like they said in school, "Time passes. Will you?"

Hmmm.... according to the webz, in 1690 the clarinet was invented, so it can't all be bad :P (says a forme clarinetist).

OTOH, according to Wikipedia, "February 3 – The Massachusetts Bay Colony issues the first paper money in North America." So, at least for the diehard gold-standard folks, it's all been downhill since then.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

richP

Postby richP » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:52 pm UTC

regarding the alt text: Rule 34?

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:58 pm UTC

Randall replaces light sabers with metal swords. Wouldn't it be more believable to replace them with cardboard tubes?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:15 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Randall replaces light sabers with metal swords. Wouldn't it be more believable to replace them with cardboard tubes?

Or longer lightsabers
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:23 pm UTC

The digital edit of Star Wars might be asking a bit much, but it seems all too likely that by this comic Randall shall will this Jack and Diane remix into existence.

Mahnarch

Postby Mahnarch » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:33 pm UTC

Kalium_Puceon wrote:

A quadcopter smuggles in a cake.

Inside the cake is a quadcopter carrying a file.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:08 pm UTC

Mahnarch wrote:
Kalium_Puceon wrote:

And a bad attitude.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:13 pm UTC

Mahnarch wrote:

Error 404: FNF (file not found)
or, if you prefer, Error 53 (file not found)

(must...not... write... "the cake is" ....)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Justin Lardinois

Postby Justin Lardinois » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:01 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:The digital edit of Star Wars might be asking a bit much, but it seems all too likely that by this comic Randall shall will this Jack and Diane remix into existence.

Like StackSort, I think Randall just mentioning something like that in a comic is enough to inspire someone to create it.

I wonder if that remix could top mom's spaghetti.

mfb

Postby mfb » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:14 pm UTC

Alt text: 'List of helicopter prison escapes' and 'List of sexually active popes' are both entertainingly long, but sadly there's no 'List of helicopter prison escapes involving sexually active popes.'
Needs a time-tracking software. The last potentially sexually active pope in the list (!) died 1829 (and the next to last 1555), but the first manned helicopter flew in 1901 (and probably in better conditions than a helicopter prison escape), and the first helicopter escape in the list was 1971.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:11 pm UTC

mfb wrote:
Needs a time-tracking software. The last potentially sexually active pope in the list (!) died 1829 (and the next to last 1555), but the first manned helicopter flew in 1901 (and probably in better conditions than a helicopter prison escape), and the first helicopter escape in the list was 1971.

That we know of. http://www.thetablet.co.uk/blogs/1/639/bishops-must-support-the-children-of-priests-
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Kalium_Puceon

Postby Kalium_Puceon » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:22 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:(must...not... write... "the cake is" ....)

The Cake is Full of Stars!
"You never get over the desire to do stupid things. You simply have to overrule your stupid urges with an acquired sense of fear."

-Dr. Richard Weisiger

TrueNarnian

Postby TrueNarnian » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:03 am UTC

Well, how do you really quantify what counts as "productive work" when you make your living as a cartoonist? If all that time wasted enabled Randall to draw this comic, (which is his job) then it was really all productive.

eidako

Postby eidako » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:38 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:it seems all too likely that by this comic Randall shall will this Jack and Diane remix into existence.

Here it is.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:58 am UTC

Yeah, that's about what my time report looked like. Can't understand why they let me go.

The Chosen One

Postby The Chosen One » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:53 am UTC

One man's activity report is another man's schedule. I now know what I'm doing the rest of this week.
If you ever find yourself asking, "is the answer to the question, "is the answer to the question, "am I the only one?" no?" no?" The answer is still no, but you should probably close all those Logic Puzzles tabs and go to sleep.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:32 am UTC

I don't get it. Why is this funny? All I'm getting is "I'm so quirky, even my procrastination is quirky! Much quirkier than Reddit or flash games! Those aren't be quirky at all, lol. Also, installing time-tracking software has wasted a bunch of my time! Soooo ironic! And Wikipedia has some quirky articles! That's probably ironic too, somehow."

Is there...more to it than this?

elasto

Postby elasto » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:25 am UTC

ps.02 wrote:I don't get it. Why is this funny?

Sometimes Randall just makes geeky observations intended to deliver a wry smile. You either relate to it in a GOOMHR kind of way or you don't.

This one reminds me of when you spend the time you were meant to spend revising for exams planning out how you are going to revise for your exams, making charts with colored stickers and text and so on.

As always, you can't make a joke funnier by explaining it though.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:45 am UTC

ps.02 wrote:I don't get it. Why is this funny? All I'm getting is "I'm so quirky, even my procrastination is quirky! Much quirkier than Reddit or flash games! Those aren't be quirky at all, lol. Also, installing time-tracking software has wasted a bunch of my time! Soooo ironic! And Wikipedia has some quirky articles! That's probably ironic too, somehow."

Is there...more to it than this?

The content of the strip appears to be "gosh I spend so much less time being productive than I thought I do" - the quirky procrastination topics appear to be there as decoration around that central point rather than being a point in themselves - he could have just put mundane activities in there, but it's more entertaining this way...

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:37 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Mahnarch wrote:

Error 404: FNF (file not found)
or, if you prefer, Error 53 (file not found)

(must...not... write... "the cake is" ....)

!cake
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:59 am UTC

elasto wrote:
ps.02 wrote:you spend the time you were meant to spend revising for exams planning out how you are going to revise for your exams, making charts with colored stickers and text and so on.

This is the inevitable outcome of the kind of environment I used to work in plagued by "consolidation creep", where each level of bureaucracy has a deadline for when its summaries have to be submitted, meaning that the next level down has a deadline slightly earlier than that to give the upper level time to format the summaries. Repeat over four or five levels and you can well end up with a deadline that precedes the actual period you're reporting for. So individual time sheets for the Monday-Friday work week were due no later than noon on Thursday.

This makes actual time sheets a work of fiction. Imagine turning in your report saying that you spent all eight hours Friday working on project X, then you get hit by a bus as you leave the office Thursday night. (In theory, if you die like that, you're suppose to charge the time to sick leave.)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:52 am UTC

And when I'm in a job with a significant amount of 'firefighting' and the rest of the time is general 'non-chargable' activity dedicated only to the smooth background running of the business, not (external-)client-focussed, my timesheet is more needlessly complex than anyone more than a level or two above needs to know (those that do are usually witnesses to, if not co-conspiritors in, my many and varied actions and distractions across each day, so are already aware)... Well, more than half an hour (two of the quarter-hour mimimum-resolution periods) is now going down on my timesheet each day, out of the minimum 7.5hrs total official activity (TOIL excepted) although I've probably spent five minutes, four times a day, on first jotting down 'accurate' timings after each task switch then compiling those jottings into 'acceptable' accumulations into the electronic timesheet system. (Made complex by switching back and forth between tasks at minute-granularities or finer, not even including keeping an eye on one (or more) job's progress whilst undertaking part of another task. Or several.)

I understand the need for accounting for it all, but if I'm straight-salaried (no overtime, except for exceptional circumstances, but not uncommonly finding it necessary to run to a ten-hour day, not even including time out taken to contribute to places like here) and nothing I do directly impacts client charges (save that if I didn't do them, the people with the actual client-charging activities would be unable to complete their work as quickly, which arguably means I'm a negative cost to the client...) then ascribing perhaps 7% of my day to telling people who already know the necessarily imprecise details of what I might have been doing for the rest of it... always seemed nonsensical.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:41 pm UTC

elasto wrote:
ps.02 wrote:I don't get it. Why is this funny?

This one reminds me of when you spend the time you were meant to spend revising for exams planning out how you are going to revise for your exams, making charts with colored stickers and text and so on.

As always, you can't make a joke funnier by explaining it though.

Yes you can.
You did.
(.)

edit:
Then, one leaves the academic environment.
And; Enters the Real World. (tragic & funny)
da Doctah wrote:
elasto wrote:
ps.02 wrote:you spend the time you were meant to spend revising for exams planning out how you are going to revise for your exams, making charts with colored stickers and text and so on.

This is the inevitable outcome of the kind of environment I used to work in plagued by "consolidation creep",
Spoiler:
where each level of bureaucracy has a deadline for when its summaries have to be submitted, meaning that the next level down has a deadline slightly earlier than that to give the upper level time to format the summaries. Repeat over four or five levels and
you can well end up with a deadline that precedes the actual period you're reporting for. So individual time sheets for the Monday-Friday work week were due no later than noon on Thursday.

This makes actual time sheets a work of fiction. Imagine turning in your report saying that you spent all eight hours Friday working on project X, then you get hit by a bus as you leave the office Thursday night. (In theory, if you die like that, you're suppose to charge the time to sick leave.)

Maybe, someone will pick up 'the slack' and file Sick Leave for you.
well ... sense you are dead and unable to file for yourself.

That system might be very useful.
It might, simply, be Named Wrong.

"This is my Professional Expectation Sheet."
Management would Love It!

You'd only get paid for projects listed on your PES Report.
Gee. That's not funny.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

mattiep

Postby mattiep » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:21 am UTC

eidako wrote:
Jorpho wrote:it seems all too likely that by this comic Randall shall will this Jack and Diane remix into existence.

Here it is.

This ain't bad, but we need the autotune version that follows the tune of the original. Otherwise it wouldn't take all that much time.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:07 am UTC

mattiep wrote:This ain't bad, but we need the autotune version that follows the tune of the original.
I have to agree with you there.

I never much cared for the notion of sucking on a chili dog. That is not something you do with a chili dog. And for the longest time I thought "hand between her knees" was much, much dirtier than it actually is.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”