1699: "Local News"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thunk

1699: "Local News"

Postby thunk » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:50 pm UTC

Alt-text: Will there ever be a physics term greater than 'tachyonic antitelephone?' According to this message from the future, the answer is 'no.'

As everyone knows, all politics is non-local. Congresscritters now have to throw out random extra campaign promises to be sure at least some of them become violated.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

jgh

Re: 1699: "Local News"

Postby jgh » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:08 pm UTC

City Council elections? Pah! We've just had a referendum to set government policy and apparently accidently triggered the Rapture.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:18 pm UTC

jgh wrote:City Council elections? Pah! We've just had a referendum to set government policy and apparently accidently triggered the Rapture.

Yes, so now we will have to spend another heap of money on a referendum on whether to accept a newly independent Scotland to the EU.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:05 pm UTC

[quote="thunk"

As everyone knows, all politics is non-local. Congresscritters now have to throw out random extra campaign promises to be sure at least some of them become violated.[/quote]

Hah. Our (un)duly elected (non)representatives in both houses have a dang hard time **not** violating each and every one of their promises.

... somewhere there's a bad joke about OO programming "promises" there...
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:42 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
jgh wrote:City Council elections? Pah! We've just had a referendum to set government policy and apparently accidently triggered the Rapture.

Yes, so now we will have to spend another heap of money on a referendum on whether to accept a newly independent Scotland to the EU.

And, as sometimes happens, the US of A has a precedent. In 1861, when the state of Virginia seceded from the Union, the folks in the western mountains seceded from Virginia, and applied to the Union goernment for statehood. In 1863, it was approved, and West Virginia has been a separate state ever since.

So we'll probably hear more than a bit of support from Americans supporting the idea that the various pieces of the UK should do similarly, and become EU states on their own.

A somewhat similar situation existed in Europe just a few years back, when Yugoslavia dissolved into a flock of independent states. Some of them have joined the EU; others haven't. This isn't exactly parallel to the Brexit concept, since Yugoslavia was never in the EU. But it makes the situation with the UK not especially unusual, and it wouldn't be at all unusual historically if an independent UK should go the same way as these in two examples.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:06 pm UTC

It turns out Brexit is still a quantum phenomenon - we know the referendum came down in favour of leaving, but we don't know whether it'll stick or not, nor whether we'll manage to find someone willing to actually stand up and take the lead in the process.

pezguy

Postby pezguy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:09 pm UTC

stachyonic antitelephone

Muswell

Postby Muswell » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:33 pm UTC

I thought the whole point of the thing was to throw Westminster into complete chaos with no tenable candidates for Prime Minister so that HM would ask Larry the Downing Street Cat to form a government and tell her corgis to form a Shadow Cabinet.

Is that not what's going to happen?

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:53 am UTC

jc wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:

And, as sometimes happens, the US of A has a precedent. In 1861, when the state of Virginia seceded from the Union, the folks in the western mountains seceded from Virginia, and applied to the Union goernment for statehood. In 1863, it was approved, and West Virginia has been a separate state ever since.

So we'll probably hear more than a bit of support from Americans supporting the idea that the various pieces of the UK should do similarly, and become EU states on their own.

A somewhat similar situation existed in Europe just a few years back, when Yugoslavia dissolved into a flock of independent states. Some of them have joined the EU; others haven't. This isn't exactly parallel to the Brexit concept, since Yugoslavia was never in the EU. But it makes the situation with the UK not especially unusual, and it wouldn't be at all unusual historically if an independent UK should go the same way as these in two examples.

You won't hear me supporting separatism. One of the principles of what we Americans call the "Civil War" was the Union is indivisible. A Polisci course taught me the federal government supercedes the state governments, so "Western Virginia" had no right to secede from Virginia. All US flags have one extra star, unless you represent the District of Columbia.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:34 am UTC

Well, that sure is an opinion.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Farabor

Postby Farabor » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:35 am UTC

Muswell wrote:

I thought the whole point of the thing was to throw Westminster into complete chaos with no tenable candidates for Prime Minister so that HM would ask Larry the Downing Street Cat to form a government and tell her corgis to form a Shadow Cabinet.

Ooh, I didn't know about Larry, let alone the grand tradition of mousers to the royal cabinet.....Thank you for leading me to Wikipedia!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:36 am UTC

I think Europe is outside the USA's jurisdiion.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:48 am UTC

Our jurisdiction as World Police only applies to the Middle East and Asia, right?
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:28 am UTC

Muswell wrote:

They'd be better than Boris...
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:21 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I think Europe is outside the USA's jurisdiion.

So do I, but pretty clearly the White House, DoJ, CIA, NSA, and Pentagon disagree.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:42 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I think Europe is outside the USA's jurisdiion.

The obvious next step would be for the UK to join the USA. We already have Trick or Treat and Baby Showers, we can go back to Imperial units once we're free of the EU Weights and Measures directives, and a load of UKIP people are going on about how we can loosen up our gun control laws now we don't have that pesky Eurocrat nanny state. I reckon that ticks off all the entry criteria. The only thing stopping us is the insular stance of the presumptive POTUS.

(Sorry to be bitter, but I didn't vote for this shit and I'm really fucking angry).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:49 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:The only thing stopping us is the insular stance of the presumptive POTUS.
Boris Johnson could become POTUS!

I'll leave that with you...

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:13 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
orthogon wrote:The only thing stopping us is the insular stance of the presumptive POTUS.
Boris Johnson could become POTUS!

I'll leave that with you...

He was born in NY wasn't he? Does that mean he qualifies? The worst thing is that would actually be a better scenario for us (because we wouldn't have him as PMOTUK) and for the US (who would avoid Trump).

I like this comic, by the way. As Tony Blair almost said "Tough on causality, and tough on the causes of causality".

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:05 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:He was born in NY wasn't he? Does that mean he qualifies?
Indeed. The only requirement he doesn't qualify under is that of 14 years of residency in the United States. Fast-tracking the UK as a state might sort that out. Otherwise, 2032 is probably the year he would run.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:48 pm UTC

You're welcome to become an Australian territory.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:12 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:You're welcome to become an Australian territory.

Ah, thanks. But will you promise to do something about that blatant de-facto trade barrier? I refer of course to your insistence on being 9000 miles away. I reckon there's enough space for Australia in the North Atlantic, if we move a few little islands out of the way, and it'd be at a similar latitude, so the beaches should still be pretty awesome and you'd have plenty of barbie weather.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:17 am UTC

orthogon wrote:

Ah, thanks. But will you promise to do something about that blatant de-facto trade barrier? I refer of course to your insistence on being 9000 miles away. I reckon there's enough space for Australia in the North Atlantic, if we move a few little islands out of the way, and it'd be at a similar latitude, so the beaches should still be pretty awesome and you'd have plenty of barbie weather.
I reckon that's a beaut idea mate!

Muswell

Postby Muswell » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:49 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
orthogon wrote:

I reckon that's a beaut idea mate!

And with us in the same hemisphere we'd have the same seasons so we could have an Ashes every two years instead of the silly 18 months/30 months system we're normally stuck with. And there'd be no reason ever to have two series in one year (looking at you, 2013).

chalkie

Postby chalkie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:22 am UTC

orthogon wrote:...I reckon there's enough space for Australia in the North Atlantic...

England being much smaller, it's make more sense to float that over to the Indian Ocean, maybe somewhere west of Melbourne? It looks like there's loads of space there.

We could fire the charges we already have set all along Hadrian's wall and leave Scotland to the EU (if that's what they decide to do). Not sure what to do with Ireland though. It'd be such a pity to split-off the North from the South. You're gonna love the Welsh - they're can be a bit rough, but a good lot.

Anyway, I for one would bloody love to become part of the great Aus. Fair dinkum! (Is that a thing you actually say? I'm keen to learn and assimilate)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:27 pm UTC

chalkie wrote:
orthogon wrote:...I reckon there's enough space for Australia in the North Atlantic...

England being much smaller, it's make more sense to float that over to the Indian Ocean, maybe somewhere west of Melbourne? It looks like there's loads of space there.

We could fire the charges we already have set all along Hadrian's wall and leave Scotland to the EU (if that's what they decide to do). Not sure what to do with Ireland though. It'd be such a pity to split-off the North from the South. You're gonna love the Welsh - they're can be a bit rough, but a good lot.

Anyway, I for one would bloody love to become part of the great Aus. Fair dinkum! (Is that a thing you actually say? I'm keen to learn and assimilate)

The only problem with the Hadrian's Wall plan is that it doesn't follow the current border (or the current border doesn't follow the Wall) while the leave/remain divide is firmly along the current border - with enclaves of remain scattered through England and Wales.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:46 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:The only problem with the Hadrian's Wall plan is that it doesn't follow the current border (or the current border doesn't follow the Wall)

Indeed. This particularly bothered me in the run up to the Scottish independence referendum, during which time I was living north of the wall.
He/Him/His Image

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:21 pm UTC

chalkie

Postby chalkie » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:33 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:The only problem with the Hadrian's Wall plan is that it doesn't follow the current border

This is Chalkie calling.
Chalkie calling all Ordnance fish,
Chalkie calling all Ordnance fish,
Chalkie here. Come in Ordnance fish.
Slight change of plans - bit of a cock-up on the border route I'm afraid.
Apparently its not along the wall-route. Repeat NOT along the wall route.
Will confirm new route and advise.
Chalkie out.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”