1717: "Pyramid Honey"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:56 pm UTC

Alt text: "They CLAIM honey was found in the chambers under the pyramids, but this conspiracy goes all the way to the TOP, where the GIANT EYE is!"

The real conspiracy is that the pyramids were made of honey all along!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Alsadius

Postby Alsadius » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:56 pm UTC

Seems logical to me that honey would have an infinite shelf life. I mean, it'd be crystallized to hell and gone, but it's mostly sugar, and no bacteria can grow in sugar that concentrated - the osmotic pressure desiccates them too much(same way salt works as a preservative). As long as you keep the vermin out, you should be fine.
Last edited by Alsadius on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1717: "Pyramid Honey"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:00 pm UTC

Well, not infinite. At some point the heat death of the universe can be expected to decrease the quality of the honey.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Alsadius

Postby Alsadius » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:03 pm UTC

Yes, but the heat death of the universe would degrade the quality of the observer first, and by the First Law of Pop Quantum Mechanics, anything that isn't observed doesn't actually happen, and it just hangs like a decade-old computer instead.

Mercurywoodrose

Postby Mercurywoodrose » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:11 pm UTC

700_4e117f9c5a071d1268e4a4c9a6c363ac.jpg
LIQUID HONEY DOES NOT MELT GRANITE AND LIMESTONE!
Last edited by Mercurywoodrose on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Alsadius

Postby Alsadius » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:14 pm UTC

Mercurywoodrose wrote:LIQUID HONEY DOES NOT MELT GRANITE AND LIMESTONE!

WAKE UP BEEPLE!

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:16 pm UTC

Would this be an example of "BHGsplaining"?
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

Mercurywoodrose

Postby Mercurywoodrose » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:17 pm UTC

AHAHAHAHAHA

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:28 pm UTC

Alsadius wrote:
Seems logical to me that honey would have an infinite shelf life. I mean, it'd be crystallized to hell and gone, but it's mostly sugar, and no bacteria can grow in sugar that concentrated - the osmotic pressure desiccates them too much(same way salt works as a preservative). As long as you keep the vermin out, you should be fine.

Yeah, but the claim was that the honey was still "good." Your definition of "good" may vary from mine :D

Keyman wrote:Would this be an example of "BHGsplaining"?

You just had to go there, didn'tya? Anyway, it's more a case of BHG not listening to a potential [insert generic term]splaining, since he was happy to listen to the info for a brief moment.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Godsguy

Postby Godsguy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:29 pm UTC

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats - Ken Grahame (Wind in the Willows)

Alsadius

Postby Alsadius » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:32 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Alsadius wrote:

Yeah, but the claim was that the honey was still "good." Your definition of "good" may vary from mine :D

In my experience, crystallized honey can be brought back to usability with a short zap in the microwave. Now all you need is a microwave powered by honey that can withstand the heat death of the universe, and you'll be fine.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:33 pm UTC

I think we're all missing the larger question.

Why was there honey in the pyramid?

I don't want to jump too far to a conclusion but it seems reasonable to me to assume that the bees built the pyramids.

Bees are aliens.

QED

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:41 pm UTC

Megan's skepticism is well placed.

The Smithsonian article (which parrots the notion that edible honey was found in ancient Egyptian tombs), has been traced back and thoroughly debunked.

http://the-life-i-read.blogspot.ca/2013 ... -weed.html

TL,DNR: It turns out that the root reference is to some natron solution (which is non-edible) which was found in a tomb, and the archaeologist's write up described it as having a honey-like consistency. Dried, honey-stained materials are often found in tombs, and the entrapped pollen grains are a valuable source of information about the plants growing at the time of burial. But ancient edible honey has not been found.

Processed (ie, filtered) honey does have an amazingly long shelf life if sealed away from air - many years, even decades. Exposed to air, it is hygroscopic and will pull water out of the atmosphere, eventually becoming dilute enough for yeasts to grow (and make mead :wink: ).

ce

Alsadius

Postby Alsadius » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:52 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:Processed (ie, filtered) honey does have an amazingly long shelf life if sealed away from air - many years, even decades. Exposed to air, it is hygroscopic and will pull water out of the atmosphere, eventually becoming dilute enough for yeasts to grow (and make mead :wink: ).

What's the mechanism for decay if it is kept airtight?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

ISIS DID 8/12! ACTIUM WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

Now can anyone tell me why black hat is being so tame? He's supposed to build a time machine, rig the pyramids with honey traps and fill the tombs with bee carcasses. Or replace the sarcophagus with a cryogenic pod filled with aggressive bees. At least something more extreme than some snarky comments.

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:21 pm UTC

Alsadius wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:Processed (ie, filtered) honey does have an amazingly long shelf life if sealed away from air - many years, even decades. Exposed to air, it is hygroscopic and will pull water out of the atmosphere, eventually becoming dilute enough for yeasts to grow (and make mead :wink: ).

What's the mechanism for decay if it is kept airtight?

I'm venturing beyond my comfort zone here (I have a biochemistry degree, but that's very old). Honey contains a large number of organic compounds, including amino and organic acids (its pH is very low), as well as some peroxides. Even in the absence of micro organisms, chemical reactions can occur, but slowly. 'Old' honey has been described as darkening, though still edible at least 10 years out. Honey can also (reversibly) crystallize. I don't know at what point it becomes inedible. Its a long time, but at a WAG I'd be pretty dubious of 100 year old honey.

Bees evolved their honey production to create a food that could tide them over a single winter, not fuel a voyage to Alpha Centaurus.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:41 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I think we're all missing the larger question.

Why was there honey in the pyramid?

I don't want to jump too far to a conclusion but it seems reasonable to me to assume that the bees built the pyramids.

Bees are aliens.

QED

cryptoengineer wrote:Bees evolved their honey production to create a food that could tide them over a single winter, not fuel a voyage to from Alpha Centaurus.

FTFY
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:50 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:Megan's skepticism is well placed.[...]
That was very interesting. I've also seen these claims about honey, but I didn't know that the tomb of Yuaa and Thuaa (Yuya and Thuya/Tjuyu?) were the main source of that claim. And Wikipedia still lists this claim on the Honey article, but I don't know that that blog post counts as notable enough to cite for an edit.

cryptoengineer wrote:Its a long time, but at a WAG I'd be pretty dubious of 100 year old honey.
What's a WAG?
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking
rath358 wrote:I have been replaced D:

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:00 pm UTC

Wild-(Assed|Arsed) Guess.

Or maybe I'm wrong. In which case blame my Witty Acronym Generator.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:05 pm UTC

See I thought it'd be like a honey fair somewhere. The WAG Honey Fair.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking
rath358 wrote:I have been replaced D:

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:11 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:Honey can also (reversibly) crystallize. I don't know at what point it becomes inedible. Its a long time, but at a WAG I'd be pretty dubious of 100 year old honey.

Bees evolved their honey production to create a food that could tide them over a single winter, not fuel a voyage to Alpha Centaurus.

Guess it depends on how fast the bees can get there.

Reference #1: Bees making the Kessel Run faster than humans.
Reference #2: Winter Is Coming (and reputed to last many years, so the bees need honey to last a longish time)
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:13 pm UTC

I was expecting the proposed phenomenon to be attributed not to the remarkable longevity of honey, but rather to the heretofore undocumented preservation capabilities of pyramid-shaped structures. I'm sure someone somewhere is already ranting about that.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:13 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Reference #1: Bees making the Kessel Run faster than humans.

Don't you mean "shorter"?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:54 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Reference #1: Bees making the Kessel Run faster than humans.

Don't you mean "shorter"?

Depends on the meaning of "making" :P Don'tcha just love the English language's plethora of ambiguities?
(not to mention "Do Kessels run faster than humans can?' )
Former OTTer

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:53 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:Bees evolved their honey production to create a food that could tide them over a single winter, not fuel a voyage to Alpha Centaurus.

How do you know they aren't just waiting around for us to develop a suitable spacecraft, and then nick it the first chance they get?
Flumble wrote:Now can anyone tell me why black hat is being so tame? He's supposed to build a time machine, rig the pyramids with honey traps and fill the tombs with bee carcasses. Or replace the sarcophagus with a cryogenic pod filled with aggressive bees. At least something more extreme than some snarky comments.

Either he's taking a break, or this is just a decoy to distract us from what he's really up to.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:55 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:

ISIS DID 8/12! ACTIUM WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

Now can anyone tell me why black hat is being so tame? He's supposed to build a time machine, rig the pyramids with honey traps and fill the tombs with bee carcasses. Or replace the sarcophagus with a cryogenic pod filled with aggressive bees. At least something more extreme than some snarky comments.

Seems pretty BHG-ish to me. He interrupted their highly productive conversation where Megan was trying to introduce Cueball to new evidence which disproves the myth. BHG totally derails the whole thing - not just their conversation, but takes it upon himself to derail all the efforts to debunk the myth by making it into a common conspiracy theory that the public has been developing a healthy skepticism towards.
Of course honey lasts forever. Did you see those blogs that tried to debunk it, they followed all the classic patterns used by all the other conspiracy theory sites: all-caps, switching fonts and colors every sentence-and-a-half, all the links lead to rabbit-holes of irrelevant details (though the one which talked about the bees from Alpha Centauri was worth a couple of laughs). There's no way that could be true!

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:17 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:Exposed to air, it is hygroscopic and will pull water out of the atmosphere, eventually becoming dilute enough for yeasts to grow (and make mead :wink: ).

...be right back, gotta raid some tombs.

Mmm...mead...
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:35 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:Bees evolved their honey production to create a food that could tide them over a single winter, not fuel a voyage to Alpha Centaurus.

Pausing here to note that "Relativistic Bees" would be a great name for a rock band.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:52 pm UTC

This is now the official comic thread, but I moved taixzo's OP here because it was first (by 6 seconds) and because it actually linked to the comic page as dictated in the forum rules.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:56 pm UTC

Dumb-ass. I built my porch using honey to melt granite block joints together.

It's not hard, it took the guy at home depot, like, six minutes to teach me.
cellocgw wrote:Guess it depends on how fast the bees can get there.
We still can't even explain how bees are able to fly in space.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

chompison

Postby chompison » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:58 pm UTC

What they found in the pyramid wasn't honey. It was the morning gunk from the eye.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:21 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:We still can't even explain how bees are able to fly in space.
It's not their flying in space that interests me, it's their flying in time...

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:33 pm UTC

They can combine it with the thousand year old butter from the peat bog to make sandwiches.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:34 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:We still can't even explain how bees are able to fly in space.

No, no, no, you're thinking of time flies.

(Spoiler: they like an arrow.)
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:46 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

No, no, no, you're thinking of time flies.

(Spoiler: they like an arrow.)

Especially when you're having fun.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:19 pm UTC

That's fruit, as in "when the fruit starts flying" describes a good time breaking out.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:58 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

But Kessel is at Gliese 1132, not Alpha C.
Whenever visually representing the universe, it's important to include a picture of Saturn!
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:21 am UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:
Alsadius wrote:What's the mechanism for decay if it is kept airtight?

I'm venturing beyond my comfort zone here (I have a biochemistry degree, but that's very old). Honey contains a large number of organic compounds, including amino and organic acids (its pH is very low), as well as some peroxides. Even in the absence of micro organisms, chemical reactions can occur, but slowly. 'Old' honey has been described as darkening, though still edible at least 10 years out. Honey can also (reversibly) crystallize. I don't know at what point it becomes inedible. Its a long time, but at a WAG I'd be pretty dubious of 100 year old honey.

Organic matter sealed away from air has been known to turn into coal or petroleum. I expect that honey would become something similar, given enough time.

The Moomin wrote:They can combine it with the thousand year old butter from the peat bog to make sandwiches.

They'd also need some ancient bread.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:50 am UTC

dtilque wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

But Kessel is at Gliese 1132, not Alpha C.

Hmm, they must have learned how to navigate from the vikings after they got stranded here. I wonder what their original destination was?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:21 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I wonder what their original destination was?

Just there, over to the top-right..

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”