1717: "Pyramid Honey"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ThirdParty

Re: 1717: "Pyramid Honey"

Postby ThirdParty » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:39 am UTC

dtilque wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:Bees evolved their honey production to create a food that could tide them over a single winter, not fuel a voyage to Alpha Centaurus.
Reference #1: Bees making the Kessel Run faster than humans.
But Kessel is at Gliese 1132, not Alpha C.
Where Kessel is at rather depends on how many parsecs one makes the run. See orthogon's comment above.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:22 pm UTC

Rombobjörn wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:
Alsadius wrote:What's the mechanism for decay if it is kept airtight?

I'm venturing beyond my comfort zone here (I have a biochemistry degree, but that's very old). Honey contains a large number of organic compounds, including amino and organic acids (its pH is very low), as well as some peroxides. Even in the absence of micro organisms, chemical reactions can occur, but slowly. 'Old' honey has been described as darkening, though still edible at least 10 years out. Honey can also (reversibly) crystallize. I don't know at what point it becomes inedible. Its a long time, but at a WAG I'd be pretty dubious of 100 year old honey.

Organic matter sealed away from air has been known to turn into coal or petroleum. I expect that honey would become something similar, given enough time.

Doesn't that also require pressure? I doubt the ancients have managed to create "spray honey"* considering we don't have such commodity.

*idea to be patented
—◯-◯

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:43 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I wonder what their original destination was?

Just there, over to the top-right..

Ha ha ha ha "apiary" I get it.... who knew those old-timers included programming interfaces to their maps?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

HES

Postby HES » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:47 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:Doesn't that also require pressure?

Why else would pyramids be so heavy?
He/Him/His Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:59 pm UTC

Because they need to serve as an anchor in order to counteract the forces involved with stopping time inside the burial chamber while time on the rest of the Disk continues flowing.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Bounty

Postby Bounty » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:27 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:We still can't even explain how bees are able to fly in space.
It's not their flying in space that interests me, it's their flying in time...

the Doctor is well aware of this beehaviour.
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Migrant_Bee

Eternal Density

SMOKE BEES EV'RY DAY!!

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:40 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I think we're all missing the larger question.

Why was there honey in the pyramid?

I don't want to jump too far to a conclusion but it seems reasonable to me to assume that the bees built the pyramids.

Bees are aliens.

QED
Hmm...
Flumble wrote:
Mercurywoodrose wrote:LIQUID HONEY DOES NOT MELT GRANITE AND LIMESTONE!

ISIS DID 8/12! ACTIUM WAS AN INSIDE JOB!

And the major cult centres for the goddess Isis were Philae and Abydos! It all makes sense now!
WAKE UP BEEPLE!
WAKE UP BEEPLE!
WAKE UP BEEPLE!
Spoiler:
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

MWak

Postby MWak » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:33 am UTC

The honey is a lie!

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:47 pm UTC

MWak wrote:The honey is a lie!

Aperture Science Enrichment Center has been producing honey for years!
(terran/protoss/zerg/fascist fuck)

MWak

Postby MWak » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:20 am UTC

trpmb6 wrote:
Aperture Science Enrichment Center has been producing honey for years!

We do what we must because we can.

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:27 am UTC

ThirdParty wrote:
dtilque wrote:But Kessel is at Gliese 1132, not Alpha C.
Where Kessel is at rather depends on how many parsecs one makes the run. See orthogon's comment above.

No no no. The way it goes is Kessel is at Gliese 1132, 12 parsecs away. If you can get there by going less than 12 parsecs, then you're really fast.
Whenever visually representing the universe, it's important to include a picture of Saturn!
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:42 am UTC

The obvious answer is that Lucas was not an astronomer and mistakenly believed a "parsec" to be a unit of time (or perhaps simply thought the audience wouldn't know or care). The generally accepted canon answer is that the Kessel run involved some sort of tight maneuvers, and that by cutting these close, one could effectively complete the run in a shorter distance. On interstellar scales, that seems comical (the difference between 12 parsecs and 12.000,001 parsecs is still over 30,000,000 km). So surely the best solution is that the proper distance of the Kessel run as measured by an observer at either endpoint is substantially greater than 12 parsecs, but that the Kessel run involved subluminal (i.e. non-hyperspace) travel over long distances such that the distance as measured by the onboard odometer would vary significantly due to length-contraction, and that a measured distance of less than 12 parsecs represented phenomenally high relativistic speeds. The tremendous proper time of this journey could contribute to its prestige, since few people would be willing to effectively travel decades forward in time while their friends and family grew old just to smuggle some goods and earn a buck.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:19 am UTC

My headcanon is that 'parsecs' is some sort of shortened form of a standard time measurement in some galactic language or other. As the humans in the Star Wars 'verse shouldn't have greek roots, perhaps they have another language for prefixes, eg, "Par Seconds", similar to one of us saying "Megasecond", or "megasec".

That, or like you said it's a unit of distance, but affected by a few large gravity wells, like black holes, and he's bragging that he cut closer to those gravity wells (and subsequent 'shortening' of space) than anyone else had.

Back on topic, didn't I read somewhere that they've found honey in sealed pots on the bottom of the Mediterranean that was edible? Or was that wine?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:34 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:My headcanon is that 'parsecs' is some sort of shortened form of a standard time measurement in some galactic language or other. As the humans in the Star Wars 'verse shouldn't have greek roots, perhaps they have another language for prefixes, eg, "Par Seconds", similar to one of us saying "Megasecond", or "megasec".

That, or like you said it's a unit of distance, but affected by a few large gravity wells, like black holes, and he's bragging that he cut closer to those gravity wells (and subsequent 'shortening' of space) than anyone else had.

Back on topic, didn't I read somewhere that they've found honey in sealed pots on the bottom of the Mediterranean that was edible? Or was that wine?

Wine would be potable rather than edible.

And it would be a striking failure of the translation convention to conveniently leave a unit of time that just happens to be a homophone of an English unit of distance untranslated.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:22 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:Megan's skepticism is well placed.

The Smithsonian article (which parrots the notion that edible honey was found in ancient Egyptian tombs), has been traced back and thoroughly debunked.

http://the-life-i-read.blogspot.ca/2013 ... -weed.html

From the Article:
Spoiler:
Why did I not take the information at face value?
I wanted it to be true and I badly wanted to be able to use it to make my exegetical point which is all the more reason to be skeptical. As a researcher, I was taught by my friend and mentor, Rice University Professor Robert L. Patten, to question assumptions, especially my own.
The Smithsonian blogger offered the introductory paragraph as an item of common knowledge, but:
It was not part of the information offered by the credible expert.
There was no reference, no footnote, no link given for the information.
Countless websites offered by beekeepers, honey vendors, alternative medicine health care practitioners also contained this assertion, often verbatim, of honey found in Egyptian tombs but bore no citations to the original archaeological publications. Neither did they offer the name of a single one of these discoverers.
Repeating something does not make it true. Neither do 300,000+ search engine hits. Internet searches open up a world of information, often raw, unfiltered, and too often incorrect. One of the reasons, I could not find what I was seeking because of the sheer volume hits.
Smithsonian Magazine is a highly respected publication but a blog on the website is not the same as the edited and vetted publication. A periodical intended primarily as a public relations tool for the general reader is not as trusted a source as a peer-reviewed journal.
Lore and legend may be charming but I need confirmation from a respected archeology journal or text.

And, another voice from the Internet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42QuXLucH3Q

oh, ... ho-hum.
...If ya' can't trust Science;
Who can ya' trust?

Does it matter?
Who among us will be eating 10,000 year old honey?
cryptoengineer wrote:I'm venturing beyond my comfort zone here (I have a biochemistry degree, but that's very old). Honey contains a large number of organic compounds, including amino and organic acids (its pH is very low), as well as some peroxides. Even in the absence of micro organisms, chemical reactions can occur, but slowly. 'Old' honey has been described as darkening, though still edible at least 10 years out. Honey can also (reversibly) crystallize. I don't know at what point it becomes inedible. Its a long time, but at a WAG I'd be pretty dubious of 100 year old honey.

Bees evolved their honey production to create a food that could tide them over a single winter,
not fuel a voyage to Alpha Centaurus.

That is very funny, Cryptoengineer;
Honey replaces Tang as Space Food.
(only on the Internet)
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Schol-R-LEA

Postby Schol-R-LEA » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:27 am UTC

When I first read this, it brought to mind Spectate Swamp, a supposed 'developer' who is obsessed with the the overwhelming importance of... desktop search.

(Well, that, and UFOs, conspiracies against himself on the part of the Canadian government, how using goto is the only sensible way to program, ranting about how everyone else has been brainwashed about programming style by the 'Perfect Perfects', and growing marijuana.)

His solution to this critical problem is SSDS, a 10200+ line VB5 program he wrote between 1998 and 2003. It is a single function. It uses interleaved gosubs all over the place. It has a maximum nesting depth of 2. He has blithely admitted that he has no idea how it works (to the extent that it actually does). He's convinced it is the greatest program ever written.

Seriously? Terry Davis (of TempleOS infamy) may be a schizophrenic, racist, paranoid loose cannon who thinks God told him to write an operating system that would serve as the Fourth Temple of Jerusalem, but at least he's a fair programmer after a fashion. Swampy doesn't even have that much going for him.

I even posted a link to this in one of the fora he haunts, commenting that I could only assume that Randall has met Swampy, and that he was the inspiration for Black Hat's statements here.
Rev. First Speaker Schol-R-LEA;2 LCF ELF JAM POEE KoR KCO PPWMTF TGIF
Realitas vestri renuo, sufficioque mei || (defn Kinsey [] (ranged-int 7))
Lisp programmers tend to seem very odd to outsiders, just like anyone else who has had a religious experience they can't quite explain to others.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”