1720: "Horses"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

1720: "Horses"

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:23 pm UTC

Alt text: "This car has 240% of a horse's decision-making ability and produces only 30% as much poop."

Knowing the practices of White Hat, he has actually found a (humane?) way of stabling 203½ horses within the bodywork, somehow.
Last edited by Soupspoon on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: 1720: "Horses"

Postby Whizbang » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:37 pm UTC

Go right to the source and ask the horse
He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse.
He's always on a steady course.
Talk to Mr. Ed.

leeharveyosmond

Postby leeharveyosmond » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:39 pm UTC

Possibly Randall has never investigated getting a horse drunk.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:40 pm UTC

I love Ponytail. She makes so much sense.

Except, you know, the horses might walk over to the tree anyway to munch fruit. Or wander down the wrong carriageway. Ignore the red light. Treat the level crossing barrier as a fence to jump over.

It'll be a long time before most affordable cars can do that last one, but when they do I want one.

...and, uh, according to the forum rules the image should be a link to http://xkcd.com/1720/ ...
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Mental Mouse

Postby Mental Mouse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:09 pm UTC

I suspect Randall is idealizing horses a little too much. Yes, horses can balk at conditions they see as unsafe, but they still have their limits, including that they are domesticated, and trained to obey human orders.

An unwise human rider can certainly ride a horses into unsafe terrain, urge them to a jump they can't actually make, or just drive them beyond the limits of their endurance (look up "foundering"). Sure, a horse might shy away from riding into a tree... but at speed, they might not be able to avoid it (that is, in a forest or suchlike). And they'll also shy away from various motions, shadows, or creatures that aren't in fact threats.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:27 pm UTC

Mental Mouse wrote:I suspect Randall is idealizing horses a little too much. Yes, horses can balk at conditions they see as unsafe, but they still have their limits, including that they are domesticated, and trained to obey human orders.

An unwise human rider can certainly ride a horses into unsafe terrain, urge them to a jump they can't actually make, or just drive them beyond the limits of their endurance (look up "foundering"). Sure, a horse might shy away from riding into a tree... but at speed, they might not be able to avoid it (that is, in a forest or suchlike). And they'll also shy away from various motions, shadows, or creatures that aren't in fact threats.

Ok, then, for an extra $3500, you get the "Police-trained horse" version of the CPU. Those beasts don't flinch at anything.
Or, if you like performance roadsters, the "Polo-pony" version.

ETA Since it might be difficult to program up the Three Laws of Robotic Horses, I recommend just programming in a large virtual Image into the horse-cpu
Last edited by cellocgw on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:44 pm UTC

Mental Mouse wrote:I suspect Randall is idealizing horses a little too much.

Weren't horse-and-carriage accidents fairly common, too? I'm pretty sure a pedestrian gets killed early on in A Tale of Two Cities, and presumably carriages themselves would overturn when cornering etc.

Still, nice comic and a point well made.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

davearonson

Postby davearonson » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:49 pm UTC

A car salesman in a white hat?!

fangbeer

Postby fangbeer » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:52 pm UTC

Problematic issues arise when your horse car gets a flat tire. Do you have to put a bullet in the engine block, or just reboot the ecu?

Story

Postby Story » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:00 pm UTC

The first time I went horse riding, my horse immediately tried to kill me (by running under a roof that was too short for me).

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:07 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:I love Ponytail. She makes so much sense.

Except, you know, the horses might walk over to the tree anyway to munch fruit. Or wander down the wrong carriageway. Ignore the red light. Treat the level crossing barrier as a fence to jump over.

It'll be a long time before most affordable cars can do that last one, but when they do I want one.
I was going to suggest waiting for a cat-driven vehicle, the KITTY (Kat My Friend Katherine Industries Twenty Twenty, Yowl?), but driving, or indeed going to sleep, on the top of walls might be a problem.

...and, uh, according to the forum rules the image should be a link to http://xkcd.com/1720/ ...
...whoops, correcting my erroneous copypasta in a moment. Done! (It seems that thw error arose because I used 1719 as a template, and that was/still is also lacking... I'll let someone else nudge that author, though.)

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:40 pm UTC

Never mind horses - what about deer? Deer crash into cars (yes, in addition to cars crashing into deer)... I wonder if deer ever crash into each other as they bound about in the forest.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:59 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Never mind horses - what about deer? Deer crash into cars (yes, in addition to cars crashing into deer)... I wonder if deer ever crash into each other as they bound about in the forest.

You must live in a place where the image of a couple of stags deliberately running at one another head-first isn't a meme. (And even if you've never witnessed it yourself, there was this guy named Disney who used to make these nature films....)

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

Excuse me, but with "3.5 horses in the computer" wouldn't that be the equus-valent of 350% of a horse's decision-making ability?

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:20 pm UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:Excuse me, but with "3.5 horses in the computer" wouldn't that be the equus-valent of 350% of a horse's decision-making ability?

Unless the 350% includes proportionally more body and less brain. But actually I think the title text car is just a different car to the third frame car.

How about dog sleds? Are dogs more intelligent than horses?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:25 pm UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:Excuse me, but with "3.5 horses in the computer" wouldn't that be the equus-valent of 350% of a horse's decision-making ability?

Hmm, does a committee accumulate decisiveness for each additional member in it? I'm not sure. I think I'll have to refer that important question to a break-out subcommitte, to more thoroughly discuss the issue. I move that we concoct a motion to decide who to assign to such a group, and who else we might also subpoena to that group from outside the standing members. But first, I think we've got a coffee-break coming up, and rather than break the next item half way, I think we should take it now. All in favour?

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:11 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:You must live in a place where the image of a couple of stags deliberately running at one another head-first isn't a meme. (And even if you've never witnessed it yourself, there was this guy named Disney who used to make these nature films....)
I mean accidentally.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:18 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:And even if you've never witnessed it yourself, there was this guy named Disney who used to make these nature films....)
Disney made fiction films, sometimes killing animals as props.. He helped exile American rocket scientists (Frank Molina and Qian Xuesen) while promoting former Nazis. Now his legacy is the draconian extension of copyright and the suppression of fair use.
Ah well. My loathing of Disney stems from Disney films in junior high science classes, instead of real science. Now my science-ignorant age group dominates the government and the schools. Ignorance begets ignorance.
Last edited by keithl on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:22 pm UTC

Absent-minded scientist Pierre Curie was killed by a horse-drawn carriage. Horseback riding cripples and kills more young people than heroin. Pro-tips: avoid science, and inject heroin before mounting a horse.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:54 pm UTC

Mental Mouse wrote:I suspect Randall is idealizing horses a little too much. Yes, horses can balk at conditions they see as unsafe, but they still have their limits, including that they are domesticated, and trained to obey human orders.

My understanding of "horseback riding under the influence" is that in such locations that riding off from the bar is still a thing (Montana and Idaho, USA) was that if you held the reigns you were accountable for "drinking and driving". Don't touch the reigns (and presumably just tell the horse to "go home") and you are ok. Note that is "thrice told internet tales", but it is reasonably believable.

Snard

Postby Snard » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:59 pm UTC

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned "correct horse battery staple" so far on this thread.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:19 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Hmm, does a committee accumulate decisiveness for each additional member in it? I'm not sure....

There's an old theory that the intelligence of a group of humans is an inverse function of the number of members, though there's disagreement about the function. Some think it's just the number of people; others insist that it's the square of the number of people; a few magnanimous writers have suggested that it's actually an inverse exponential. Somehow, nobody suggests that the function has a positive slope. ;-)

(But I do note that you said "decisiveness", not "intelligence". It's entire possible that the decisiveness goes up as the intelligence goes down.)

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:55 pm UTC

No, it would be the equivalent of a 2610 W power supply ... pretty beefy and up to the demands of any nag nav computer.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:24 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Never mind horses - what about deer? Deer crash into cars (yes, in addition to cars crashing into deer)... I wonder if deer ever crash into each other as they bound about in the forest.

Jose

No matter how good deer might be at avoiding dangers, I do not want my car to try running accross the road in front of an aproaching other car.
Not to mention this: [WARNING, this image is a bit disturbing]
Spoiler:
"Find the deer"
—◯-◯

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:45 pm UTC

wumpus wrote:

My understanding of "horseback riding under the influence" is that in such locations that riding off from the bar is still a thing (Montana and Idaho, USA) was that if you held the reigns you were accountable for "drinking and driving". Don't touch the reigns (and presumably just tell the horse to "go home") and you are ok. Note that is "thrice told internet tales", but it is reasonably believable.

And if you don't know the difference between "reins" and "reigns", you get mocked online ;)

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:39 am UTC

Still, your average horse can tell the difference between a semi trailer and a cloud.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:15 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Echo244 wrote:I love Ponytail. She makes so much sense.

I was going to suggest waiting for a cat-driven vehicle, the KITTY (Kat My Friend Katherine Industries Twenty Twenty, Yowl?), but driving, or indeed going to sleep, on the top of walls might be a problem.

...whoops, correcting my erroneous copypasta in a moment. Done! (It seems that thw error arose because I used 1719 as a template, and that was/still is also lacking... I'll let someone else nudge that author, though.)

Probably not a good idea to have a cat drive a car. George Carlin once said the difference between a cat and dog was that when a dog did something stupid, the dog looked at you with an expression that said "yeah, I know. That was stupid.". When a cat did something stupid, his expression said "I meant to do that. Want to see me do it again". A cat powered car may hit a tree, then do it again just to seem cool.

orthogon wrote:

Weren't horse-and-carriage accidents fairly common, too? I'm pretty sure a pedestrian gets killed early on in A Tale of Two Cities, and presumably carriages themselves would overturn when cornering etc.

Someone dies in a carriage accident in "Great Expectations" as well.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:14 am UTC

So what you're saying is, it should be fine unless we let Dickens drive the carriage? Definitely don't use him in the self-driving car....
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:16 am UTC

I think as a general rule, the less association you have with Dickens, the better your long-term prospects.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:23 am UTC

"There's a rock I passed on my way out but didn't notice. Must jump in the air and run away as fast as possible."

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:56 am UTC

orthogon wrote:Weren't horse-and-carriage accidents fairly common, too? I'm pretty sure a pedestrian gets killed early on in A Tale of Two Cities, and presumably carriages themselves would overturn when cornering etc.

That's when you need a set of low profiles on your carriage to let it corner at faster speeds.

Mahnarch

Postby Mahnarch » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:23 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

Then, again, that was back in the day when people died from get a sliver in their hand.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:32 pm UTC

Mahnarch wrote:
orthogon wrote:

Then, again, that was back in the day when people died from get a sliver in their hand.

Then, again again, "sure, your 3.5 horsebrainpower car will crash all the time, but with modern safety features and modern medicine, you'll almost surely survive" isn't what I'd consider a selling point.

MarkW

Postby MarkW » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:51 pm UTC

Can some with a ranch run a head-to-head competition between a horse and Tesla Autopilot's Summon feature. Which one will reach the barn first? fastest? Injuries to the competitor incur time penalties.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:10 pm UTC

MarkW wrote:Can some with a ranch run a head-to-head competition between a horse and Tesla Autopilot's Summon feature. Which one will reach the barn first? fastest? Injuries to the competitor incur time penalties.

The question is: can you jump into the driver's seat from a second floor window?

StClair

Postby StClair » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:21 am UTC

... without landing on the gearshift?

philipquarles

Postby philipquarles » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:25 am UTC

Fun fact: an actual horse can output significantly more than one horsepower for short periods of time. The highest power output ever documented by a single horse is 14.9hp. source

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:23 pm UTC

philipquarles wrote:Fun fact: an actual horse can output significantly more than one horsepower for short periods of time. The highest power output ever documented by a single horse is 14.9hp. source

So in this case one horsepower = 14.9 horsepower, divide both sides by horsepower, 1=14.9.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:48 pm UTC

1 horse power is 735,5 W.
A trained cyclist can put out 600-800 W in a sprint.
A tour de France pro can put out 1200 - 1400 W during a sprint (this does require significant sacrifices in their personal lives to allow for the required training)
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Mahnarch

Postby Mahnarch » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:46 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
Mahnarch wrote:
orthogon wrote:

Then, again again, "sure, your 3.5 horsebrainpower car will crash all the time, but with modern safety features and modern medicine, you'll almost surely survive" isn't what I'd consider a selling point.

I first read that as "safety feathers", and now I'm picturing a car crashing and it looking like a bird exploding from it. :D

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”