1739: "Fixing Problems"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thunk

1739: "Fixing Problems"

Postby thunk » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:42 am UTC

Alt text: 'What was the original problem you were trying to fix?' 'Well, I noticed one of the tools I was using had an inefficiency that was wasting my time.'

As always, mustard begets mustard. And soon it's Zanclean.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

rhomboidal

Re: 1739: "Fixing Problems"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:03 am UTC

His initial problem was a recursive function error in a Lisp program for generating fractals.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:45 am UTC

He tried installing BSD again, didn't he?

StClair

Postby StClair » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:11 am UTC

ps.02 wrote:He tried installing BSD again, didn't he?

Thanks for finding it so I didn't have to.

rivulatus

Postby rivulatus » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:43 am UTC

How I feel when ever I am trying to locate an error in a recursive function.

Tub

Postby Tub » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:41 am UTC

So you make a change, and you notice a set of new problems appearing. You undo the change. The new problems persist.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:23 am UTC

Deja poo...

Alternatively,
You found a problem and tried to fix it. Now you have two problems.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:36 pm UTC

He has a job for life.

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:04 pm UTC

I thought this was a relevant xkcd: https://xkcd.com/1319/

Western Rover

Postby Western Rover » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:36 pm UTC

My favorite form of the sentiment that this comic expresses is the Programmer's Drinking Song:

100 little bugs in the code,
100 bugs in the code,
fix one bug, compile it again,
101 little bugs in the code.

101 little bugs in the code.....

Repeat until BUGS = 0

Tirear

Postby Tirear » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:40 pm UTC

Western Rover wrote:My favorite form of the sentiment that this comic expresses is the Programmer's Drinking Song:

100 bugs in the code,

Repeat until BUGS = 0

So, about 65436 rounds? Your voice must get sore.

Kanonfutter

Postby Kanonfutter » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:44 pm UTC

Tirear wrote:
Western Rover wrote:My favorite form of the sentiment that this comic expresses is the Programmer's Drinking Song:

100 bugs in the code,

Repeat until BUGS = 0

So, about 65436 rounds? Your voice must get sore.

Not if the program is LONG.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:49 pm UTC

jozwa wrote:I thought this was a relevant xkcd: https://xkcd.com/1319/

And from that, to this xkcd: https://xkcd.com/1205/ - A printout of which I have pinned to my wall (though I like your Alt Text better)
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:56 pm UTC

Kanonfutter wrote:
Tirear wrote:So, about 65436 rounds? Your voice must get sore.

Not if the program is LONG.

I prefer arbitrary-precision types unless profiling says it's eating too much resources. :roll:

Also the metre is all wrong in the linked text (for the 99..0 range that is) and "bug" and "again" don't rhyme, so I propose the following:
putStr $ unlines $ [100..] >>= \n -> [show n ++ " head-scratching bugs in the code", show n ++ " head-scratching bugs", "fix one bug, compile and with luck", "there's only " ++ show (n+1) ++ " bugs in the code"]

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:56 am UTC

This comic (and "installing BSD") have pretty much been my life for the last 6 weeks.

What did I do?

I bought a new computer. Upgrading from 32bit to 64bit, more ram, better video card, and oh my god they dropped it.

Actually that was the second issue. Of five so far.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:09 am UTC

Draco18s wrote:This comic (and "installing BSD") have pretty much been my life for the last 6 weeks.

What did I do?

I bought a new computer. Upgrading from 32bit to 64bit, more ram, better video card, and oh my god they dropped it.

Actually that was the second issue. Of five so far.

I feel your pain. I upgraded a desktop recently. The first issue was the motherboard didn't seem to get power, so I got a bigger psu. Still no power, so I got a new mb. I installed FC 20 and it seemed to work. I had a spare drive, so I loaded Fedora on it and it tested okay. Shut down and got back to it a few days later, and it could not find the os. swapped drives and it was okay. power off and reboot, no os. Reloaded the first drive and it was okay, reloaded second drive, it died. A couple of days later, the internet went out. I had an unused router so I tested, no internet. I called the cable company and tested, the modem seemed to be the problem. Replaced the modem, no link light. Replaced the cable and it was up. Two days later, no link light on the modem. So I swapped the router and it is working now.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:08 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:I feel your pain. I upgraded a desktop recently. The first issue was the motherboard didn't seem to get power, so I got a bigger psu. Still no power, so I got a new mb. I installed FC 20 and it seemed to work. I had a spare drive, so I loaded Fedora on it and it tested okay. Shut down and got back to it a few days later, and it could not find the os. swapped drives and it was okay. power off and reboot, no os. Reloaded the first drive and it was okay, reloaded second drive, it died. A couple of days later, the internet went out. I had an unused router so I tested, no internet. I called the cable company and tested, the modem seemed to be the problem. Replaced the modem, no link light. Replaced the cable and it was up. Two days later, no link light on the modem. So I swapped the router and it is working now.

That's nuts. Makes no sense why it would work, then fail, then work again. None.

The worst part about my whole ordeal (because seriously, reinstalling windows for the 4th time isn't a big deal, what am I losing? a clean install of windows with nothing on it...) was the ungodly amount of waiting. Week to ship it back, week for them to ship it to me again, another week getting a replacement case...And of course I don't want to mount the new CPU fan until I have the new case, right? Of course, otherwise I just have to do all that work all over again (and oh god, doing it once was bad enough #NeverAgain).

I put my order in July 29th, exactly 2 months ago. I contacted support on August 16th (having messed with it for the first time on the 14th even though it was delivered to my house on the 12th). So yeah, I've been without a working, stable, computer for six freaking weeks.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:19 am UTC

I managed to bootloop my android tablet the other week, by installing an app to change the system font. I spent a long time trying to fix it without going into recovery mide, because that requires it to be switched off, and it wouldn't power down, only reboot or start in download mode. Trying to reinstall the OS didn't help because I couodn't clear the cache without recovery mode. And I couldn't find a way to force it to reboot into recovery mode that didn't rely on being able to boot it fully. Eventually (hours of attempts later) I gave in and partly disassembled it to unplug the battery.

Then I busted the battery connector.

But I managed to jury rig a fix for that, and finally cleared the cache and reinstalled an even nicer OS (AICP), so it turned out okay, besides wasting most of a day and causing deep concern. I had backups, so I wasn't too worried, until I broke it physically. By rights it needs re-soldering, but it's a job that would require special machinery/tools/skill to not solder all the pins together, short-circuiting the battery. So I used the 'apply pressure from the backplate by taping in plastic spacers, and hope' method. It's worked fine so far.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:03 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I gave in and partly disassembled it to unplug the battery.

This is why I wont buy anything without a removable battery
He/Him/His Image

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:27 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:So I used the 'apply pressure from the backplate by taping in plastic spacers, and hope' method. It's worked fine so far.

Reminds me I have the opposite in place for my tablet: keep a space between the front and back plate to relieve pressure on the touch screen so it works.
The cover provides the clamps to keep both sides in place. :roll:

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:08 pm UTC

Relevant Malcolm in the Middle:

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:26 pm UTC

Various Varieties wrote:Relevant Malcolm in the Middle:

oh god... that's my life......
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:38 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:So I used the 'apply pressure from the backplate by taping in plastic spacers, and hope' method. It's worked fine so far.

I once had to disassemble the plastic card thing our car has in place of a key, because one solder joint became loose. This is exceptionally hard, because the whole thing is glued together, and so reassembling it to the original state is impossible (still better, than spending $150 on a new card-key thing). As a result, the card sometimes needs pressure around the battery compartment for the remote control to work.
The bad news is, now the other card started showing signs of the same error, because apparently the subcontractor decided to save on solder.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

fluffysheap

Postby fluffysheap » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:55 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Eventually (hours of attempts later) I gave in and partly disassembled it to unplug the battery.

Sounds like just waiting for it to run down would have been a better option.

DennyMo

Postby DennyMo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:48 pm UTC

Government policy, boiled down into a single frame...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:27 am UTC

fluffysheap wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Eventually (hours of attempts later) I gave in and partly disassembled it to unplug the battery.

Sounds like just waiting for it to run down would have been a better option.

Yes. But with no battery indicator visible, and as I had to plug in in a few times (so it charged a bit), I had no way of knowing when that would happen. And I just can't wait idly. So I took the reckless option. #YOLO

Turns out when I finally reached a battery charge screen it was on 7%.
Battery seems to work fine now :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:38 am UTC

Draco18s wrote:
RogueCynic wrote:I feel your pain. I upgraded a desktop recently. The first issue was the motherboard didn't seem to get power, so I got a bigger psu. Still no power, so I got a new mb. I installed FC 20 and it seemed to work. I had a spare drive, so I loaded Fedora on it and it tested okay. Shut down and got back to it a few days later, and it could not find the os. swapped drives and it was okay. power off and reboot, no os. Reloaded the first drive and it was okay, reloaded second drive, it died. A couple of days later, the internet went out. I had an unused router so I tested, no internet. I called the cable company and tested, the modem seemed to be the problem. Replaced the modem, no link light. Replaced the cable and it was up. Two days later, no link light on the modem. So I swapped the router and it is working now.

That's nuts. Makes no sense why it would work, then fail, then work again. None.

The worst part about my whole ordeal (because seriously, reinstalling windows for the 4th time isn't a big deal, what am I losing? a clean install of windows with nothing on it...) was the ungodly amount of waiting. Week to ship it back, week for them to ship it to me again, another week getting a replacement case...And of course I don't want to mount the new CPU fan until I have the new case, right? Of course, otherwise I just have to do all that work all over again (and oh god, doing it once was bad enough #NeverAgain).

I put my order in July 29th, exactly 2 months ago. I contacted support on August 16th (having messed with it for the first time on the 14th even though it was delivered to my house on the 12th). So yeah, I've been without a working, stable, computer for six freaking weeks.

Looks like one of the drives failed. I reloaded Fedora on the other and it works, but it's an old version. I tried loading the latest from a flashdrive, but the bios doesn't support it. I got a bios update but it only works in Windows. If I find the key for my Windows disk, I'll set up a vm and see what happens.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”