1740: "Rosetta"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

theoriok
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:27 pm UTC

1740: "Rosetta"

Postby theoriok » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:29 pm UTC

Image

Alt Title text: 'I WONDERED why he kept asking whether we thought the impact speed was too low.'

You cannot use certain BBCodes: [img]. Fixed your case of Newuseritis for you. ~~Felstaff

Codesmith
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Codesmith » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:50 pm UTC

Code: Select all

[img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/rosetta.png[/img]


Alt-text: "I WONDERED why he kept asking whether we thought the impact speed was too low."

Edit: Ninja'd, kinda, sortof. And I'll remember the link for next time.
Last edited by Codesmith on Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

speising
Posts: 2068
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby speising » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:53 pm UTC

Rest in Pieces.

richP
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby richP » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:10 pm UTC

The impact speed is low, but we hit it early enough.

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 1760
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby cellocgw » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:17 pm UTC

Yes, they successfully deflected Rosetta and it won't hit Earth.

Unfortunately, the MEMS accelerometer and the MAD (magnetic anomaly detector, for all you who never read The Hunt For Red October) inside Rosetta registered the momentum and metallicity (Hey! new word!) of the probe, triggering an alert message to be sent to the Mother Ship. We're doomed.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

qvxb
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:20 pm UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby qvxb » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:51 pm UTC

Rosetta may be more intact than the European Union.

User avatar
Moose Anus
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:03 pm UTC

Whale they send another probe?
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

User avatar
squall_line
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:36 am UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby squall_line » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:07 pm UTC

As far as asteroid disaster movies go, I've grown to prefer "Deep Impact" myself. The original, not any pr0n-related remakes.

Also, my penchant for pedantry presses me to post: How to start a thread for individual comics.

ETA: I see that forum rules for the OP mean that Rule III was impossible to follow. Rule VI should still apply, however.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25789
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:32 pm UTC

Both OPs failed to add any of their own commentary, and Codesmith additionally failed to include a link despite the ability to do so.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 1760
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby cellocgw » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:54 pm UTC

squall_line wrote:As far as asteroid disaster movies go, I've grown to prefer "Deep Impact" myself. The original, not any pr0n-related remakes.

Also, my penchant for pedantry presses me to post: How to start a thread for individual comics.

ETA: I see that forum rules for the OP mean that Rule III was impossible to follow. Rule VI should still apply, however.


How about Forum Rule XXXIV ?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
Mahnarch
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:02 am UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Mahnarch » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:06 pm UTC

How about next time we go to an asteroid that we're just going to crash into (and litter), anyway, how about we start slamming these things into Mars afterwards so we can start terraforming? (e.g. - build moar bigger orbiter/tug satellites)

There's no life there. They can stop wasting time.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Flumble » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:13 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Both OPs failed to add any of their own commentary

This begs the question: why aren't the posters (hilariously) banned for their impotence and the threads closed/removed/merged every time?
On the oter hand, we have a multitude of users who'd like to run (or are running) a bot that queries the main page/rss every minute and turns the comic into a thread immediately.

cellocgw wrote:How about Forum Rule XXXIV ?

That's internet-wide, though, not the sole responsibility of the thread starter. (By the way, do you know any forum porn? All I can find is porn forums; even google doesn't understand the semantics.)

User avatar
somitomi
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:21 pm UTC
Location: can be found in Hungary
Contact:

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby somitomi » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:20 pm UTC

qvxb wrote:Rosetta may be more intact than the European Union.

Well, does Rosetta have a part insisting on leaving it, while all of its parts argue about what to do with the asteroids coming from the Perseids?
No?
I think we have a winner.
Image
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

another josh
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby another josh » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:24 pm UTC

So going back to comic 1727, apparently crashing computers into Jupiter isn't enough, now we have to crash them into comets.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25789
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:28 pm UTC

Mahnarch wrote:There's no life there. They can stop wasting time.

We're still not 100% certain there's no life, and life isn't the only reason to refrain from bombarding a planet with asteroids.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 2476
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:31 pm UTC

... until we can decide what message or picture we want to spell out with the impact craters.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2692
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby orthogon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:32 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
squall_line wrote:As far as asteroid disaster movies go, I've grown to prefer "Deep Impact" myself. The original, not any pr0n-related remakes.

Also, my penchant for pedantry presses me to post: How to start a thread for individual comics.

ETA: I see that forum rules for the OP mean that Rule III was impossible to follow. Rule VI should still apply, however.


How about Forum Rule XXXIV ?

What's with all the Roman Numerals anyway? We'll argue until the cows come home about the insanity of imperial/customary units and the relative merits of the SI, and then quite happily use a clunky numbering system that doesn't even have a zero.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Flumble » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:40 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
cellocgw wrote:How about Forum Rule XXXIV ?

What's with all the Roman Numerals anyway? We'll argue until the cows come home about the insanity of imperial/customary units and the relative merits of the SI, and then quite happily use a clunky numbering system that doesn't even have a zero.

LLC
Last edited by Flumble on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:36 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:54 pm UTC

It occurs to me that a "huge Armageddon fan" could also refer to someone who would want an asteroid to wipe out life on Earth.
any pronouns
----
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)

User avatar
Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount
Posts: 3035
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Qaanol » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:31 pm UTC

That dot inside the “J” though…
wee free kings

User avatar
Quizatzhaderac
Posts: 1510
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:28 pm UTC
Location: Space Florida

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:15 pm UTC

Or for a huge Futurama fan, get the comet to hit the Earth and solve global warming.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

User avatar
david.windsor
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby david.windsor » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:36 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Yes, they successfully deflected Rosetta and it won't hit Earth.

Unfortunately, the MEMS accelerometer and the MAD (magnetic anomaly detector, for all you who never read The Hunt For Red October) inside Rosetta registered the momentum and metallicity (Hey! new word!) of the probe, triggering an alert message to be sent to the Mother Ship. We're doomed.


Damn... are they going to fire a chunk of neutron star into the earth's core?
orthogon wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
squall_line wrote:As far as asteroid disaster movies go, I've grown to prefer "Deep Impact" myself. The original, not any pr0n-related remakes.

Also, my penchant for pedantry presses me to post: How to start a thread for individual comics.

ETA: I see that forum rules for the OP mean that Rule III was impossible to follow. Rule VI should still apply, however.


How about Forum Rule XXXIV ?

What's with all the Roman Numerals anyway? We'll argue until the cows come home about the insanity of imperial/customary units and the relative merits of the SI, and then quite happily use a clunky numbering system that doesn't even have a zero.


Moot point, nobody on the forum talks about nothing.
Flumble wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Both OPs failed to add any of their own commentary

This begs the question: why aren't the posters (hilariously) banned for their impotence and the threads closed/removed/merged every time?
On the oter hand, we have a multitude of users who'd like to run (or are running) a bot that queries the main page/rss every minute and turns the comic into a thread immediately.

cellocgw wrote:How about Forum Rule XXXIV ?

That's internet-wide, though, not the sole responsibility of the thread starter. (By the way, do you know any forum porn? All I can find is porn forums; even google doesn't understand the semantics.)

Don't worry someone is working on it right now.
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

User avatar
pogrmman
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:53 pm UTC
Location: Probably outside

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby pogrmman » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:08 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Both OPs failed to add any of their own commentary

This begs the question: why aren't the posters (hilariously) banned for their impotence and the threads closed/removed/merged every time?
On the oter hand, we have a multitude of users who'd like to run (or are running) a bot that queries the main page/rss every minute and turns the comic into a thread immediately.


But that doesn't solve the problem that your script could add a super generic comment like "I think this comic is neat -- I totally agree with it."

Rysto
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:07 am UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Rysto » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:58 pm UTC

So it turns on that the Philae portion of the mission was sabotaged by a time traveller from the 23rd century, trying to prevent us from subtly changing the comets orbit enough that it crashes into the Earth in a couple of hundred years.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 2476
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:30 pm UTC

Jokes on them. I just travelled back in time a few billion years amd sneezed, thus changing the orbit of the Earth just enough to make it hit the comet...

sotanaht
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:14 am UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby sotanaht » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:43 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Both OPs failed to add any of their own commentary

This begs the question: why aren't the posters (hilariously) banned for their impotence and the threads closed/removed/merged every time?
On the oter hand, we have a multitude of users who'd like to run (or are running) a bot that queries the main page/rss every minute and turns the comic into a thread immediately.

cellocgw wrote:How about Forum Rule XXXIV ?

That's internet-wide, though, not the sole responsibility of the thread starter. (By the way, do you know any forum porn? All I can find is porn forums; even google doesn't understand the semantics.)


It's not uncommon for there not to be a thread for a long time, hours I think. I've only actually bothered to make it myself ONCE, but to say that I had plenty of time is an understatement, since I had to figure out the proper format and code while I was doing it.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 2476
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:40 am UTC

sotanaht wrote:[It's not uncommon for there not to be a thread for a long time, hours I think. I've only actually bothered to make it myself ONCE, but to say that I had plenty of time is an understatement, since I had to figure out the proper format and code while I was doing it.
I've started a handful (just because nobody else had), and any "First!"-bragging rights I got were largely wasted and not capitalised upon... except maybe just now in this post, I suspect... and I've tended to take a (or the) prior thread-starter as master template (on one occasion, didn't realise that was wrongly done, so repeated its errors). And in one case I found myself co-publishing against another Johnnie-on-the-spot, by seconds, and thus discovered I could delete my own thread (at least if it had only the OP in it).


Doesn't matter who does it, or when, so long as it gets done sometime by somebody. But that's just my 2p...

RogueCynic
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby RogueCynic » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:14 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Or for a huge Futurama fan, get the comet to hit the Earth and solve global warming.


I thin I missed that episode. The global warming episode I remember had the problem solved by all robots going to the Galapagos islands and farting to move the Earth. The two episodes involving comets I remember had one made of garbage and the other a huge diamond. I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight missing that show.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

User avatar
somitomi
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:21 pm UTC
Location: can be found in Hungary
Contact:

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby somitomi » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:51 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:Or for a huge Futurama fan, get the comet to hit the Earth and solve global warming.

I thin I missed that episode. The global warming episode I remember had the problem solved by all robots going to the Galapagos islands and farting to move the Earth. The two episodes involving comets I remember had one made of garbage and the other a huge diamond. I'll be crying myself to sleep


The global warming episode starts with an educational movie about how global warming is counteracted by dropping larger and larger icecubes into the ocean, and then Nixon hiring Planet Express as "losers" to deliver the next one. So they go to Halley's comet to mine the ice, but it has ran out, leading to the backup plan (kill all robots).
Image
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

User avatar
Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt
Posts: 1199
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:26 pm UTC
Location: The wrong side of the mirror
Contact:

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Sableagle » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:23 pm UTC

Two things on my mind about Rosetta:

1) I'm impressed that we managed to launch a thing that far at those speeds without having to build it sturdy enough to survive a 1.1mph impact.

2) If someone finds Rosetta and Philae, hundreds or thousands of years from now, what condition will they be in? Could they be reassembled and used to send selfies to whatever's left of humanity, or will they be dust and glitter?
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

User avatar
svenman
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:09 pm UTC
Location: 680 km NNE of the Château d'If

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby svenman » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:48 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:2) If someone finds Rosetta and Philae, hundreds or thousands of years from now, what condition will they be in? Could they be reassembled and used to send selfies to whatever's left of humanity, or will they be dust and glitter?

Now there's an idea for a What-If question. You just need to reword it very slightly and mail it to Randall.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

User avatar
somitomi
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:21 pm UTC
Location: can be found in Hungary
Contact:

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby somitomi » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:14 pm UTC

svenman wrote:Now there's an idea for a What-If question. You just need to reword it very slightly and mail it to Randall.

Sableagle wrote:What if someone found Rosetta and Philae hundreds or thousands of years from now, what condition will they be in? Could they be reassembled and used to send selfies to whatever's left of humanity, or will they be dust and glitter?

There, ready for mailing.
Image
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2692
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby orthogon » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:13 am UTC

somitomi wrote:
svenman wrote:Now there's an idea for a What-If question. You just need to reword it very slightly and mail it to Randall.

Sableagle wrote:What if someone found Rosetta and Philae hundreds or thousands of years from now,: what condition will would they be in? Could they be reassembled and used to send selfies to whatever's left of humanity, or will would they be dust and glitter?

There, ready for mailing.

I took the liberty of changing some auxiliaries and, perhaps more controversially, swapping a comma for a colon. A semicolon might also work.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Mahnarch
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:02 am UTC

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Mahnarch » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:23 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Jokes on them. I just travelled back in time a few billion years amd sneezed, thus changing the orbit of the Earth just enough to make it hit the comet...


YOU FOOL!! You've doomed us all!

Go back and sneeze the other direction!

User avatar
Wee Red Bird
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:50 am UTC
Location: In a tree

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Wee Red Bird » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:30 am UTC

sotanaht wrote:
Flumble wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Both OPs failed to add any of their own commentary

This begs the question: why aren't the posters (hilariously) banned for their impotence and the threads closed/removed/merged every time?
On the oter hand, we have a multitude of users who'd like to run (or are running) a bot that queries the main page/rss every minute and turns the comic into a thread immediately.

cellocgw wrote:How about Forum Rule XXXIV ?

That's internet-wide, though, not the sole responsibility of the thread starter. (By the way, do you know any forum porn? All I can find is porn forums; even google doesn't understand the semantics.)


It's not uncommon for there not to be a thread for a long time, hours I think. I've only actually bothered to make it myself ONCE, but to say that I had plenty of time is an understatement, since I had to figure out the proper format and code while I was doing it.

I've created a few. The bots must have been down. So panicked that someone would create one before I posted mine that I didn't think to add my own comment. I'm not a bot, dammit.

User avatar
Quizatzhaderac
Posts: 1510
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:28 pm UTC
Location: Space Florida

Re: 1740: "Rosetta"

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:15 pm UTC

Prove it! Say something that only the real wee red bird would say.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests