1748: "Future Archaeology"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thunk

1748: "Future Archaeology"

Postby thunk » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:06 am UTC

Alt-text: "The only link we've found between the two documents is that a fragment of the Noah one mentions Aaron's brother Moses parting an ocean. Is that right?" "... yes. Yes, exactly."

The beginning of a series, it seems. Will we hear more about the superintelligence this week? Wait For It.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

heuristically_alone

Re: 1748: "Future Archaeology"

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:23 am UTC

One of my favorite things that comic cartoonists do is recurring elements. Hope to see more of the glowing orb from the future.

(Funny enough when I had checked the webcomic, I didn't look closely enough and had just assumed a new one hadn't been posted yet.)
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:33 am UTC

Aaron Carter versus Shaq? Sounds like a pretty ultimate showdown.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:49 am UTC

Aaron's father, Jimmy, was defeated by an 800-pound gorilla named Bonzo. Think I read that on /r/politics.

Vanzetti

Postby Vanzetti » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:50 am UTC

Is it the same glowing dot from the AI-Box experiment?

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:12 am UTC

Should be called future paleontology

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:16 am UTC

Huh, you know what? Shaq is a good name for a god in some epic myth.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:21 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:Should be called future paleontology

Naw, we're set for the third to be "Printer Anthropology" or something this way.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

colonel_hack

Postby colonel_hack » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:32 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:One of my favorite things that comic cartoonists do is recurring elements.

Clams got hands!

Justin Lardinois

Postby Justin Lardinois » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:33 am UTC

Going by this comic and others, Randall clearly applies the same rules to pop music that he does to video games.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:49 am UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:(Funny enough when I had checked the webcomic, I didn't look closely enough and had just assumed a new one hadn't been posted yet.)

I saw the orb and the word "spider", and moved on to the next tab :oops:
He/Him/His Image

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:35 pm UTC

colonel_hack wrote:
heuristically_alone wrote:One of my favorite things that comic cartoonists do is recurring elements.

Clams got hands!

Wasn't it originally "Clams got legs!" ?

Scorance

Postby Scorance » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:24 pm UTC

Showsni wrote:Aaron Carter versus Shaq? Sounds like a pretty ultimate showdown.

I hoped beyond hope that this was the reference. Thank you fellow old-nerd.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:01 pm UTC

HES wrote:I saw the orb and the word "spider", and moved on to the next tab :oops:
Sad... what happened to your instincts?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:31 pm UTC

Old Bruce wrote:
colonel_hack wrote:

Clams got hands!

Clams got legs...
And they know how to use them,
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:01 pm UTC

Spoiler:
(It was earlier today that I saw the new thread, via "Quick Links/Unread Posts", before even HES's admition of skippage, and tried to work out first why I had't jumped to the next unread post of 1747,but stayed at the top, then after a few moments of not recognising the next few comments from two days ago wondered why a duplicate and parallel Monday Comic thread had been made, escaped my attention and been contributed to by several people with no Merge have ng been enacted by the mods... Took about twice as long to actually look at the embedded OP image and realise it was different, and thusnan abnormally early Wednesday Comic, on current expectations... Didn't have much to add, at that time, but obviously "a thing" to have skimmed things far too glibbly.)
^^^ Not relevant, probably. ^^^

vvv Far more relevant... vvv

I don't think the FutureBeing is the BoxAI. Maybe a direct descendent, but as well as being subtly different in appearance (the effects of time? There's obviously a loss of continuity of knowledge, singularity and having been there already...

Unless the BoxAI never ever actually saw a spider, even during its brief Blackhat Encounter, and only ever communicated by text-chat lacking in (sufficient) video and enough diverse social interactions to gain the missing knowledge, stayed in its box entirle during the whole chaos of the term of [Clinton/Trump(delete as inapplicable)] in their tenure as Last President Of The United States and only emerged to repopulate the world well after everything/one had died down. Frexample.

But the dialogue still seems a little odd for that. So I think they're at best reinventing (or re-evolvng) somewhat the same embodiment, in the mysterious future, as our AIGuy managed to create 'now'.

(Also we don't know if that's a true FutureBeing body. Imagine if we could only interact with the past via a cross-temporal remote-controlled drone-type-thing (inverse of Terminator lore: biological matter cannot time travel, inorganic machinery can..?), giving all kinds of confusion to pastpeople who think that futureyou is the machine you're trundling about. Ditto how the mind borrowing the woman's body in All The Time In The World must have bargained for that original bargain, before using her as one of the many initial surrogates they must have used in their mission.)

RFlaum

Postby RFlaum » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:18 pm UTC

If they have so few records, how does he/she/it/whatever speak English so well?

pierreb

Postby pierreb » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:49 pm UTC

This just reminded me of Beatles 3000 so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2vU8M6CYI

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:55 pm UTC

Oh lord, Aaron Carter. Just when I thought I'd pushed all the horrible music from my childhood out of my mind :(

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:57 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
(Also we don't know if that's a true FutureBeing body. Imagine if we could only interact with the past via a cross-temporal remote-controlled drone-type-thing (inverse of Terminator lore: biological matter cannot time travel, inorganic machinery can..?), giving all kinds of confusion to pastpeople who think that futureyou is the machine you're trundling about. Ditto how the mind borrowing the woman's body in All The Time In The World must have bargained for that original bargain, before using her as one of the many initial surrogates they must have used in their mission.)

Mechanical - only : ainsible. Tho' to be fair, that was FTL, not exactly time travel.

Sending consciousness back via machinery: Peripherals
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:19 pm UTC

RFlaum wrote:If they have so few records, how does he/she/it/whatever speak English so well?

Clearly they have better records from the period prior to the present era, when more text was preserved in media that don't require you to rediscover magnetic flux encoding or solid-state memory, decipher file systems, and reverse-engineer specific file formats before even getting started on translating the language.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:27 pm UTC

RFlaum wrote:
If they have so few records, how does he/she/it/whatever speak English so well?

Babelfish.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:00 pm UTC

Thanks for noting, I have no idea who Carter and O'Neil are beyond that. :roll:

Would that mean newgrounds survives the apocalypse?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:44 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Thanks for noting, I have no idea who Carter and O'Neil are beyond that. :roll:

Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

dash

Postby dash » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:53 pm UTC

Maybe it's time to retire, Randall. The good ones are getting further and further apart. Bow out with most of your reputation still intact.

Don't piss it all away like The Simpsons, or Peanuts (Charles Schulz). Gary Larson knew when to call it quits.

This one was Just Plain Awful.
If my wife were a D&D character she'd be all 10's

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:05 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Old Bruce wrote:
colonel_hack wrote:

Clams got hands!

Clams got legs...

After a few strips in which BC (the caveman character) found himself the subject of the clams' wrath, he agreed to keep their secret — which led to this exchange (sorry, unable to find a .jpg of the strip itself....):
Clam:  OK, then, as long as you agree not to tell anyone we got legs, I suppose we can trust you and we won't have to kill you.
BC: OK.
Clam:  Shake! (extends hand)
BC:  CLAMS GOT ARMS!! (:: glares from all the other clams ::)

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:07 pm UTC

Thank goodness for Google.  Shaq I know, but I had to look up Aaron Carter to first find out who he was and then learn what was the connection.
Doesn't seem that I was missing much, either.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:09 pm UTC

You know, it's funny. I immediately recognized the reference to "How I Beat Shaq" — something that my only exposure to comes from the end of this thing — and never even considered the "Ultimate Showdown" connection. This whole time it never occurred to me why that song mentioned Aaron Carter.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:19 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:You know, it's funny. I immediately recognized the reference to "How I Beat Shaq" — something that my only exposure to comes from the end of this thing — and never even considered the "Ultimate Showdown" connection. This whole time it never occurred to me why that song mentioned Aaron Carter.

I am one of today's lucky 10,000. I never got that Aaron Carter thing in Ultimate Showdown either. I didn't even know who he was, looked him up when I saw that and thought "huh? some obscure musician I've never heard of? Why is he here?" Now it all makes sense.

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:52 pm UTC

RFlaum wrote:If they have so few records, how does he/she/it/whatever speak English so well?

Obviously the entity isn't speaking english and must be speaking some sort of hyper-advanced future language which is autonomous and translates itself as you hear it.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:05 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Old Bruce wrote:
colonel_hack wrote:

Clams got hands!

Clams got legs...

Well, there are worse songs to get stuck in my head. :>

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:23 am UTC

Invertin wrote:Obviously the entity isn't speaking english and must be speaking some sort of hyper-advanced future language which is autonomous and translates itself as you hear it.

What I experienced reading this has to be the technobabble equivalent of Soluble Fish. This was beautiful, sir or madam, beautiful.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

speising

Postby speising » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:31 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:
Invertin wrote:Obviously the entity isn't speaking english and must be speaking some sort of hyper-advanced future language which is autonomous and translates itself as you hear it.

What I experienced reading this has to be the technobabble equivalent of Soluble Fish. This was beautiful, sir or madam, beautiful.

What's a soluble fish? How is that even supposed to work, given that they live in water?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:38 am UTC

speising wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:

What's a soluble fish? How is that even supposed to work, given that they live in water?

They're only soluble in alcohol, not water.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:24 am UTC

speising wrote:What's a soluble fish? How is that even supposed to work, given that they live in water?

To be a bit on the nose of the original comparison, I would presume that the title was selected precisely for the apparent mix of relation and contradiction the two words create between them. Soluble Fish is a section in Andre Breton's Surrealist Manifesto. A brief fan adaptation apparently exists. Invertin's smooth transition from one well-worn sci-fi technobabble standby into another entirely unrelated one was similar brain fireworks for me.

she / her / her

speising

Postby speising » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:44 am UTC

ah. and here i thought you were auto corrected from "babel fish".

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:49 am UTC

Autocorrect creations often seem likely to be mistaken for surrealist gestures, so I guess the reverse is to be expected.

she / her / her

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:02 am UTC

People have never seen this abomination?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfhhWA9GF0M

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:27 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:People have never seen this abomination?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfhhWA9GF0M

Well, not until now. But thanks, now I'm scarred for life.

"Whistle blow"? I know Shaq is famous, but does he bring a referee with himself evereywhere he goes? Or is this an American thing to have a refereere on a random basketball match1 ?

1: Is there a word for this in English? Hungarian has the neat term "grundfoci" to refer to the kind of football kids play in streets, schoolyards and other suitable flat surfaces with rather loose interpretations of the rules or what a "goalpost" or a "ball" is.
—◯-◯

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:45 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
speising wrote:What's a soluble fish? How is that even supposed to work, given that they live in water?

They're only soluble in alcohol, not water.

And that, boys and girls, is where ceviche comes from.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”