1749: "Mushrooms"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Re: 1749: "Mushrooms"

Postby Liri » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:04 pm UTC

I couldn't remember of the top of my head how many CO2 molecules came out of/went in to each reaction. But you're right, that plants make plenty of other sugars they *don't* break down for energy, like cellulose.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:34 am UTC

strawbearlyjamms wrote:http://www.radiolab.org/story/from-tree-to-shining-tree/

Without a doubt the most fascinating and mind blowing "story" i've ever heard. Listened to it on Tuesday, I wonder if Randall did as well, the whole "mushrooms are biologically closer to animals than plants" is part of the story... Either that or just a GOOMHR moment...

Plant Intelligence has been discovered.
Fungi may be smarter or more ruthless.

The BBC tells the story well in this clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-4w5xYLwiU

The Canadian from the RadioLab clip has a part in this clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrrSAc-vjG4
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:37 pm UTC

I guess I should have been more specific: Some fungi breath aerobically *using O2. Thus differentiating them further from the "Plant kingdom."

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:16 pm UTC

I have some specimens of Akebia quinata here. They twine around things to gain height. In the shade, they go for height. In good sunlight, they branch out and get lush and verdant. As they grow, they send out more branches that feel around for more things to climb. If they find something, they'll wrap around it fast (for a plant). If it turns out to be a tree stump not a tree, they'll let go again and swing away, looking for something taller. When they reach the top of the available structure, they send out new shoots from the base, radiating along the ground. The new shoots don't climb. They're looking for new places to put down roots.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:49 pm UTC

trpmb6 wrote:I guess I should have been more specific: Some fungi breath aerobically *using O2. Thus differentiating them further from the "Plant kingdom."

I'm still not sure we've nailed it. My understanding is:
- All plants respire ("breathe", if you like) aerobically, i.e. they take in O2 and sugars and produce CO2 and energy.
- Yeast can respire both aerobically and anaerobically. The latter produces CO2 and ethanol
- Both breadmaking and brewing involve the anaerobic process, but in breadmaking the alcohol mostly evaporates.
- Plants also photosynthesise during the day, which involves taking in CO2 and light and producing O2 and glucose. This is sometimes loosely described as "breathing" CO2, but it's not respiration.
- Since on balance plants sequester CO2, they do more photosynthesis than respiration on the long-term average.
- However, during the night they don't photosynthesise and hence are net respirers. During the day they are net photosynthesisers.
- I don't know what other fungi do.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:58 am UTC

Sableagle wrote:I've got mushrooms in the garden. I've got Armillaria mellea. It ate the hedge. It looks a lot like Galerina marginata so I'm not going to eat it right back.

Mushrooms are the primary reason I wish that smartphones came with DNA sequencers. :Þ

Re. A. virosa/Destroying Angel... it's famous for its deaths, but there are some that are a lot more insidious. The toxic members of Cortinariaceae can take not days but weeks before you start to get symptoms. Then there's ergot, which while it doesn't look like a traditional mushroom, still is the fruiting body of a fungus... its toxins can cause convulsions, mania, induced childbirth, and peculiarly, loss of limbs.

I don't pick mushrooms often, but when I do it's always either the very obvious agarics, or edible bolettes (while people have died from bolettes, it's much more difficult to be killed, or even made sick, with a bolette than an agaric)

Egregius

Postby Egregius » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:47 pm UTC

Mushrooms are frikkin amazing. Trying to make it my livelyhood, after finishing my degree.

Did you know some radiotrophic fungi can use melanin (similar to the stuff in our skin) to 'feed'* on gamma radiation? They found some extremeophile examples in Chernobyl's casket, and apparently they occur quite a bit in nuclear reactors' cooling water.

*: yet to be confirmed, but some melanin-containing fungi grow up to 3 times faster under severely increased radiationlevels.

Anyway, if you want to let your mind wander over possibilities, or perhaps be turned off by the more 'out there'-claims from Paul Stamets (the guy from the TED talks), check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwLviP7KaAc

addams

Postby addams » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:03 am UTC

Egregius wrote:Mushrooms are frikkin amazing. Trying to make it my livelyhood, after finishing my degree.

Did you know some radiotrophic fungi can use melanin (similar to the stuff in our skin) to 'feed'* on gamma radiation? They found some extremeophile examples in Chernobyl's casket, and apparently they occur quite a bit in nuclear reactors' cooling water.

*: yet to be confirmed, but some melanin-containing fungi grow up to 3 times faster under severely increased radiationlevels.

Anyway, if you want to let your mind wander over possibilities, or perhaps be turned off by the more 'out there'-claims from Paul Stamets (the guy from the TED talks), check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwLviP7KaAc

Yes, Yes.
I remember when that was The News.

I hope you have a wonderful Time exploring the worlds of fungi.
These guys are making their livelihood using mushrooms.
https://munchies.vice.com/en_uk/article ... hroom-farm
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”