1750: "Life Goals"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

1750: "Life Goals"

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:29 pm UTC

Alt-text: I got to check off 'Make something called xkcd' early.

Alas, an all-alliteration attempt avoided as all alphabetical aquisitions awfully atypical.

pogrmman

Re: 1750: "Life Goals"

Postby pogrmman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:53 pm UTC

This one is great! I love all the x's. X is probably my favorite letter.

I guess the ZZYZX from the What-If got stuck in his head...

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:59 pm UTC

Missing an "are" as 3rd last word, soupspoon? (Or am I simply not familiar with this weird construction?)

Randall is so obsessed with Zyzzx, Colifornia, USA since last What-If that he had to force a joke out of it? The weak (literal) punchline indicates as much.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:10 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Missing an "are" as 3rd last word, soupspoon? (Or am I simply not familiar with this weird construction?)
Broadly believably better bedfellows, bro, but bothersome brainstorming brevity banjaxed best banter bid. Bollocks.

SDK

Postby SDK » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Randall is so obsessed with Zyzzx, Colifornia, USA since last What-If that he had to force a joke out of it? The weak (literal) punchline indicates as much.

I laughed.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

another josh

Postby another josh » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:45 pm UTC

I kept waiting for something involving (at least the memory of) Gary Gygax.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:04 pm UTC

He left out "xyzzy" oh, plugh him.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Angry Rooster

Postby Angry Rooster » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:14 pm UTC

Of course, most of these words won't work in Scrabble because they're proper nouns (and a couple are too long to statistically have any chance of making).

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:21 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Flumble wrote:Missing an "are" as 3rd last word, soupspoon? (Or am I simply not familiar with this weird construction?)
Broadly believably better bedfellows, bro, but bothersome brainstorming brevity banjaxed best banter bid. Bollocks.

Completely cromulent construction. Entirely effective ellipsis.

At least I think it's ellipsis. It's very common to say things like "all systems normal". Perhaps that's short for "all systems are normal", or perhaps it's a bit like that way Japanese adjectives are sort of verb-like: "all systems are normalling".

Angry Rooster wrote:The irony being that most of these words won't work in Scrabble because they're proper nouns (and a couple are too long to statistically have any chance of making).

(Not to mention there not being enough X's in the bag).

At home we play a version in which you get a 10-point bonus for a word that's somehow topical, either generally or to us personally. And capitalised words (including proper nouns) are allowed for topical words only. So on our recent holiday I was allowed to play BALI and DOHA. I recommend this variant: it's a lot of fun, and places more importance on the meanings of words rather than the pure points value of the letters, which I think is more satisfying.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:22 pm UTC

Angry Rooster wrote:Of course, most of these words won't work in Scrabble because they're proper nouns (and a couple are too long to statistically have any chance of making).

Plus, in English-language Scrabble, there's only one X, one Z, two Y's and two blanks.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:44 pm UTC

I wasn't expecting this to culminate in an actual punchline. Usually with lists like this, the humor is in the general trend towards absurdity.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:33 pm UTC

The sight of the word zymugry is always one of those moments... yet I had no idea of what the punchline could possibly be. Particularly well played.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:08 pm UTC

Plus Scrabble games rarely come down to who knows the biggest words with the most high-value tiles in them. At least in my experience, which admittedly doesn't include the pro scene. The two and three letter word-lists (and knowing what to do with them) are vastly more important.

Back when I play Words With Friends regularly, I mostly played with people I actually knew. But I'd occasionally dial up a random. One of the things that always amused me was when I'd run up against someone who was clearly using a word-builder but didn't actually understand basic strategy in the game. I'd take it as a personal failing if it took them longer than turn 7 to raegquaat.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:15 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:The sight of the word zymugry is always one of those moments... yet I had no idea of what the punchline could possibly be. Particularly well played.

There are three words in the English language which end in "gry"... :twisted:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:43 pm UTC

Someone should tell Xavier Holliday. He'd put these on his apocolist like there's no tomorow.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:31 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

At least I think it's ellipsis. It's very common to say things like "all systems normal". Perhaps that's short for "all systems are normal", or perhaps it's a bit like that way Japanese adjectives are sort of verb-like: "all systems are normalling".

Given all this information, could someone rewrite that first sentence in such a manner, that a non-English speaker can understand it better?

I wanted to try doing this sentence-long alliteration, but quickly realised my English vocabulary is way too small for such games. It kind of reminds me of the Hungarian word game called eszperente1, which involves using words in which every vowel is an e2.

1: itself a play on words, coming from eszperantó (esperanto)
2: the e in question is what Hungarians use the letter e for, not the wide variety of sounds it can denote in English.

ETA: I did not intend to square Euler's constant.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

yakkoTDI

Postby yakkoTDI » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:41 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:The sight of the word zymugry is always one of those moments... yet I had no idea of what the punchline could possibly be. Particularly well played.

There are three words in the English language which end in "gry"... :twisted:

But alas it is spelled zymurgy.

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:25 pm UTC

Talking about swapped letters, a glance at the thread title had me thinking for a moment that it read "Life Gaols."
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ganof

Postby ganof » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:26 pm UTC

Apparently I'm not the only one https://www.google.ca/trends/explore?q=zymurgy

DanD

Postby DanD » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:46 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:Plus Scrabble games rarely come down to who knows the biggest words with the most high-value tiles in them. At least in my experience, which admittedly doesn't include the pro scene. The two and three letter word-lists (and knowing what to do with them) are vastly more important.

Back when I play Words With Friends regularly, I mostly played with people I actually knew. But I'd occasionally dial up a random. One of the things that always amused me was when I'd run up against someone who was clearly using a word-builder but didn't actually understand basic strategy in the game. I'd take it as a personal failing if it took them longer than turn 7 to raegquaat.

I've always thought the advantage went to the person with the better pattern recognition ability. It doesn't matter how large your vocabulary is if you can't look at the letters and realize you're one common letter away from a word. Likewise, noticing the infill opportunities requires a similar skill. That single tile 30 point play at the end of the game is more likely to be a winner than knowing that a subterranean canal is called a qanat.

CharlieBing

Postby CharlieBing » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:27 pm UTC

It kind of reminds me of the Hungarian word game called eszperente, which involves using words in which every vowel is an e

And that reminds me of something you might enjoy. Christian Bok, a Canadian poet, wrote a wondrous book where the main part - Eunoia (the shortest English word that contains all five vowels) - has five chapters (A, E, I, O and U) in each of which the only vowel used is the one in the title. It is breathtaking stuff.

colonel_hack

Postby colonel_hack » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:12 pm UTC

Drinking Dos Equis with Skrillex while listening to ZZ top singing ``Heard
It On The X'' on KCDX* in Phoenix?

*103.1FM. Great station. Ya'd need to be in the eastern bits of Phoenix
tho.
``First air date May 24, 1993'' in case you're thinkin'
http://www.kcdx.com tho the listen online never works for me
anymore.

a9s

Postby a9s » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:10 am UTC

Ah, syzygy. That was always my go-to word in Hangman. It covers my two favorite things: astronomy and completely taking the fun out of every game I play. Have not been punched yet.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:41 am UTC

colonel_hack wrote:KCDX* in Phoenix?

*103.1FM. Great station. Ya'd need to be in the eastern bits of Phoenix
tho.
``First air date May 24, 1993'' in case you're thinkin'
http://www.kcdx.com tho the listen online never works for me
anymore.

The listen-online works for me just now, as does the Flash player. Supposedly they're also on TuneIn (which claims they're in Florence rather than Phoenix), but I get an error trying to play them through there.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:45 am UTC

CharlieBing wrote:
It kind of reminds me of the Hungarian word game called eszperente, which involves using words in which every vowel is an e

And that reminds me of something you might enjoy. Christian Bok, a Canadian poet, wrote a wondrous book where the main part - Eunoia (the shortest English word that contains all five vowels) - has five chapters (A, E, I, O and U) in each of which the only vowel used is the one in the title. It is breathtaking stuff.

That does sound interesting, and very hard to do. Eszperente is kind of a piss take on the abundance of word with e as the only vowel. Doing the same with other letters would be much harder, or straight impossible (ű for example).
I didn't know, what Eunoia was, so I looked it up, and also learned, that Iouea is also a word (kind of).
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.

jonhaug

Postby jonhaug » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:52 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:He left out "xyzzy" oh, plugh him.

Is he old enough to know it?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:11 am UTC

somitomi wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

Given all this information, could someone rewrite that first sentence in such a manner, that a non-English speaker can understand it better?

I can't vouch for what Soupspoon had in mind, but I guess Flumble basically had it right: I read it as something like "Alas, an all-alliteration attempt [was] avoided as[=because] all [the] alphabetical aquisitions [were] awfully atypical."

It could also be seen as "block language" or "headlinese", which is characterised by the omission of forms of "be", use of zero article, and a range of other brevity measures. Block language seems to be described as a "writing style", but it could be argued that it's an alternative grammar or perhaps a dialect - I am not a linguist!

ETA On reflection it probably is correct to call it a writing style, in that it's not normally used in speech, except when parroting a passage of writing, particularly a commonly-used fragment such as "no fault found". I don't know where Linguistics stands on the question of whether a style used only in written form can be considered a language or not. (see also: emoji).

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:09 am UTC

orthogon wrote:I can't vouch for what Soupspoon had in mind,
I say you have it down pat, there. I tried my own response, but it's Saved As Draft* because it became unwieldy. Included was a reference, but not a link, to Headlinese. Additional punctuation might have also helped. But headlines tend to use none at all, save for over-emphasisng exclamations, question marks or obfuscations of letters when reporting f*#&ing swearing or reporting a use of the N-word/N*****.

* Not sure how to unsave it or delete it, yet.. Oh, look, there's a Load Draft button now... Interesting to know that's how it works... And now it's gone. Nothing useful in it. Repasting the above back in, instead.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:17 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
orthogon wrote:I can't vouch for what Soupspoon had in mind,
I say you have it down pat, there. I tried my own response, but it's Saved As Draft* because it became unwieldy. Included was a reference, but not a link, to Headlinese. Additional punctuation might have also helped. But headlines tend to use none at all, save for over-emphasisng exclamations, question marks or obfuscations of letters when reporting f*#&ing swearing or reporting a use of the N-word/N*****.

* Not sure how to unsave it or delete it, yet.. Oh, look, there's a Load Draft button now... Interesting to know that's how it works... And now it's gone. Nothing useful in it. Repasting the above back in, instead.

Okay, NOW I am questioning my own sanity, because I can't for the life of me determine, what acquisitons refers to in this context. I had a suspicion, that I was confusing two very similar words, but aquisition appears to be just misspelled.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:13 pm UTC

(Well, somewhere along the line a tyop was definitely made. I tend to hit space instead of/along with "c" on this tablet keyboard, a lot*, so maybe I just went back and removed the space as rogue without noticing it actually was a swapsie. Or the awful autosuggest buttons got touched and put in the wrong thing without me noticing (though mostly it doesn't 'know' incorrectly spelt words, just the correct ones I didn't want, creating much more work for the backspace than it has ever saved me by correct prediction). As OP to a comic thread, a handful of times now, I know that if I discover I'm able to spark one off and I don't rush to copy the pattern and create the new thread, I might as well not bother carefully crafting and reviewing 'cos someone else will by then have served the community in my stead... No skin off my nose, but I find it gives no encouragement to thoroughness. ;) )

* And "n" instead of an intended space, by contrast.

(And now as to the non-typo business...)
somitomi wrote:[I can't for the life of me determine, what acquisitons refers to in this context.

"Those which are acquired." In the sense of being chosen from amongst the nominal set of characters, naturally, rather than being purchased, requisitioned, looted, plundered, pickpocketed or otherwise abstracted.

Thus the (potential) "alphabetical acquisitions" are the possible characters one might draw from the raw conceptual text and thence build upon to generate the ultimate aim of the art of alliteration.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:35 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:Okay, NOW I am questioning my own sanity, because I can't for the life of me determine, what acquisitions refers to in this context. I had a suspicion, that I was confusing two very similar words, but aquisition appears to be just misspelled.

Torn between offending Soupspoon and allowing you to remain in this state of mental anguish, I'm going to come out and say that acquisitions was probably a bit of a stretch, probably brought about by the aforementioned time pressure. I'm not entirely sure what it was intended to mean, though if forced I would say that I could imagine Soupspoon searching for words beginning with "a" and tending to find (-> get -> acquire -> acquisitions ?) unusual (awfully atypical) words that were hard to fit into a sentence.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:58 pm UTC

Correctly conjugated, certainly, credibly covering current character's concomitantly co-aligned creativities.
(Rightly derived, I think. Arguably reinforcing my own associated and simultaneous writings upon the subject. :P)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:03 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
somitomi wrote:Okay, NOW I am questioning my own sanity, because I can't for the life of me determine, what acquisitions refers to in this context. I had a suspicion, that I was confusing two very similar words, but aquisition appears to be just misspelled.

Torn between offending Soupspoon and allowing you to remain in this state of mental anguish, I'm going to come out and say that acquisitions was probably a bit of a stretch, probably brought about by the aforementioned time pressure. I'm not entirely sure what it was intended to mean, though if forced I would say that I could imagine Soupspoon searching for words beginning with "a" and tending to find (-> get -> acquire -> acquisitions ?) unusual (awfully atypical) words that were hard to fit into a sentence.

Can't say there isn't a bit of haze remaining around that sentence, but this does clear it up sufficiently for me. Apparently I was wrong about the subject of the sentence as well (it being Souspoon and not Randall), although that can be expected from a sentence with no subject, at least in English, where other words don't pick up a different ending depending on the subject.
Soupspoon wrote:Correctly conjugated, certainly, credibly covering current character's concomitantly co-aligned creativities.
(Rightly derived, I think. Arguably reinforcing my own associated and simultaneous writings upon the subject. :P)

OH COME ON, NOT AGAIN!

Spoiler:
Just joshing, but it was challenging to decypher this one

Farabor

Postby Farabor » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:41 pm UTC

a9s wrote:Ah, syzygy. That was always my go-to word in Hangman. It covers my two favorite things: astronomy and completely taking the fun out of every game I play. Have not been punched yet.

Damn you, I did a literal spit take at computer I'm sitting at monitoring my class take a lab at this.....fortunately it was just water I was drinking!

Farabor

Postby Farabor » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:43 pm UTC

ganof wrote:Apparently I'm not the only one https://www.google.ca/trends/explore?q=zymurgy

Hmm, any clue what caused/correlated that spike in the week of April 10-16 when it went up to 100?

Reka

Postby Reka » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:57 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:It kind of reminds me of the Hungarian word game called eszperente, which involves using words in which every vowel is an e.

My dad and/or his uncle composed one of those (the details have gotten fuzzy in my mind). I can't remember how it started, but it included the lines "te szemtelen egerecske, sebesen keress menhelyet fekete lelkednek, mert tenyeremnek nyers ereje lesz veszte esztelen fejednek." (It's amazing how many eszperente verses mention little mice.)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:38 pm UTC

Reka wrote:
somitomi wrote:It kind of reminds me of the Hungarian word game called eszperente, which involves using words in which every vowel is an e.

My dad and/or his uncle composed one of those (the details have gotten fuzzy in my mind). I can't remember how it started, but it included the lines "te szemtelen egerecske, sebesen keress menhelyet fekete lelkednek, mert tenyeremnek nyers ereje lesz veszte esztelen fejednek." (It's amazing how many eszperente verses mention little mice.)

Neat. Although I've never heard of anyone killing a mouse with his bare hands, maybe because we've always had cats around the house. Or maybe we're just not as hardcore as your dad or his uncle.

Nem találkoztunk mi már valahol?

Reka

Postby Reka » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:57 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:Nem találkoztunk mi már valahol?

Elképzelhető, de nem emlékszem. Lehet, hogy itt, valamelyik másik témában? Azt hiszem, jelenleg a Reka nevet csak itt használom; általában valamilyen Márti-változatot használok, miután az az igazi nevem. (Hogy itt miért vagyok Reka, az egy hosszú és többnyire elavult történet.) De ugyanezt az indafonatos képet használom majdnem mindenütt.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:42 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:He left out "xyzzy" oh, plugh him.

Which just so happens to be the cheat code word that will allow you to win any Scrabble game instantly.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:07 am UTC

I want nothing to do with Zzzax. Leave me out of your perverted fantasies.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”