1751: "Movie Folder"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Steve the Pocket

1751: "Movie Folder"

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:33 pm UTC

Mouseover: That's actually the original Japanese version of A Million Random Digits, which is much better than the American remake the book was based on.

I'm guessing these films were released direct-to-BitTorrent.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

m1el

Re: 1751: "Movie Folder"

Postby m1el » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:37 pm UTC

Titanic XCVIII?

Edit: updated link because the old one died
Last edited by m1el on Wed May 17, 2017 10:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:40 pm UTC

First time I've been genuinely disappointed. Maybe being a long-time movie buff is part of the problem. My parents used to take me to the wonderful double features at "Hark - Hark! The Clark!" the Clark Theatre, not to mention subscribing to Film Quarterly and Sight and Sound.

So at least for me, jokes about Rocky3532 or TitanicMMMMMCXVI were old stuff before Randall was born, jokes about Michael-Bay-isizing any movie or play are overdone, etc.
At least he didn't include TrueTwiBloodLight.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:06 pm UTC

I am still waiting for Disney's "Oedipus Rex".

ruurdjan

Postby ruurdjan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:05 pm UTC

So, blackhat is basically a hipster? Not sure what I think of that...

TvT Rivals

Postby TvT Rivals » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:16 pm UTC

Clearly he must have access to alternate timelines.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:19 pm UTC

ruurdjan wrote:So, blackhat is basically a hipster? Not sure what I think of that...

I actually thought they were just reading bad pr0n movie titles....

TheEngineer

Postby TheEngineer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:44 pm UTC

m1el wrote:Titanic XCVIII?

I preferred it to "Titanic, Millennium Edition"

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:57 pm UTC

(Sat around unsent for three hours. Ninjaed a bit.)
He's hacked into alternate universes, probably set up a symbolic link to there. Obtained their films. Very Blackhat...

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:17 pm UTC

Now do a joke about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, or those Stallone classics Rocky Horror 1-6.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:39 pm UTC

Fiction is already stranger than fiction..?
Spoiler:
(Courtesy of The Last Action Hero, of course...)

iabervon

Postby iabervon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:54 pm UTC

I want to see Lorem Ipsum: the Movie. I'm imagining a generic romantic comedy, except that all of the dialogue consists of appropriate-length consecutive fragments of the script of Trois couleurs: Bleu, read as if it were English text and not French.

DennyMo

Postby DennyMo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:07 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:Now do a joke about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, or those Stallone classics Rocky Horror 1-6.

Am I missing a joke, or are you confused? Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a real thing; Rocky Horror 1-6, not so much.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:24 pm UTC

And I'm the guy who sat through The Fifth Element waiting for anything at all about boron.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:48 pm UTC

DennyMo wrote:Am I missing a joke, or are you confused? Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a real thing; Rocky Horror 1-6, not so much.

Well, while it's a "real thing," I believe Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is only a book, not a movie. It seems to fit into Randall's general joke. As for Rocky, I assume those are about an LGBTQ boxer turned singer, participating in a battle-of-the-bands against Creed, on Halloween? Haven't seen most of them.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:31 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:Well, while it's a "real thing," I believe Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is only a book, not a movie.

The movie came out this year.

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:43 pm UTC

Howl's moving castle does actually connect to our world via the door that's in Wales, so theoretically Harold and Kumar could get to it.

melthengylf

Postby melthengylf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:46 pm UTC

Story

Postby Story » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:48 am UTC

Next thing you know, we'll have Helvetica: the movie,

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:34 am UTC

I bought a motherboard recently. The usb 3.0 drivers won't boot off anything later than FAT32. I guess I'm on that ship...
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

colonel_hack

Postby colonel_hack » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:10 am UTC

I just reinstalled win98 last week. On two different machines. One had all the drivers on the win98 disk & the other HP /still/ had them available for download (and easy to find!)

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:12 am UTC

Story wrote:Next thing you know, we'll have Helvetica: the movie,

Followed by Comic Sans: the Animated Series.

cdxf6465

Postby cdxf6465 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:52 am UTC

Story wrote:Next thing you know, we'll have Helvetica: the movie,

Well, the anime already exists :wink:
http://nichijou.wikia.com/wiki/Helvetica_Standard

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:07 am UTC

I had a lot of trouble parsing the Roman Numerals, and even once y'all had translated it for me it felt like it violated some rule that I seemed to have imagined. My first thought was that you can't start a number with a "subtractive" element, but obviously I have no problem with IV, IX etc. Then I thought maybe you can do that but you can't go on to append additive elements. But that would be a daft rule and would force you into LXXXXVIII which breaks the "four in a row" rule (the clock in Madrid's Plaza Real notwithstanding). So I have to concede that there's nothing wrong with XCVIII, but I'm surprised that this is the first time I've come across a number like this. Is it just me?

(I remember a certain amount of consternation when in 1990 the BBC dated its programmes "MCMXC", whereas some people felt it should be "MXM". Apparently a real or imagined rule said that a subtractive element can't be too small compared to its target.)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:57 am UTC

orthogon wrote:

I had a lot of trouble parsing the Roman Numerals, and even once y'all had translated it for me it felt like it violated some rule that I seemed to have imagined. My first thought was that you can't start a number with a "subtractive" element, but obviously I have no problem with IV, IX etc. Then I thought maybe you can do that but you can't go on to append additive elements. But that would be a daft rule and would force you into LXXXXVIII which breaks the "four in a row" rule (the clock in Madrid's Plaza Real notwithstanding). So I have to concede that there's nothing wrong with XCVIII, but I'm surprised that this is the first time I've come across a number like this. Is it just me?

(I remember a certain amount of consternation when in 1990 the BBC dated its programmes "MCMXC", whereas some people felt it should be "MXM". Apparently a real or imagined rule said that a subtractive element can't be too small compared to its target.)

I think Roman numerals lack a consistent rulebook, making things a bit confusing. That being said, I wonder where the line would be with that, could 45 be VL, or is it strictly XLV? I feel like it would be the latter, but then IX is the accepted way of writing nine, even though the relation between I and X is similar to that between V and L. That might be because of the "four in a row" rule, although that is customarily broken by clocks. I recall reading, that using IIII makes the face look more "balanced", otherwise the VII and VIII would make it look like that part is more cluttered, than the rest.
Now I came to wonder, what Romans would do, when confronted with an "irregular" roman numeral, like IM. I'd guess they'de able to decode it, but it would take more time, than a form they're more used to. Would it annoy them the same way modern folks are annoyed by the "your-you're" confusion?
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Rossegacebes

Postby Rossegacebes » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:45 am UTC

somitomi wrote:
orthogon wrote:

I think Roman numerals lack a consistent rulebook, making things a bit confusing. That being said, I wonder where the line would be with that, could 45 be VL, or is it strictly XLV? I feel like it would be the latter, but then IX is the accepted way of writing nine, even though the relation between I and X is similar to that between V and L. That might be because of the "four in a row" rule, although that is customarily broken by clocks. I recall reading, that using IIII makes the face look more "balanced", otherwise the VII and VIII would make it look like that part is more cluttered, than the rest.
Now I came to wonder, what Romans would do, when confronted with an "irregular" roman numeral, like IM. I'd guess they'de able to decode it, but it would take more time, than a form they're more used to. Would it annoy them the same way modern folks are annoyed by the "your-you're" confusion?

As I was told, there are "ones" (I, X, C, M) and "fives" (V, L, D).
1) "Fives" cannot be subtracted. 45 is XLV, not VL.
2) "Ones" can only be subtracted from the next larger "one" or "five". Thus 99 is XCIX, not IC.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:13 am UTC

For roman numerals, I tend to subscribe (perhaps by BBC influence) to use the 'next whole magnitude down less' method only (and every) time. (IV for 4) IX for 9 (XL for 40) XC for 90 (CD fror 400) CM for 900. Everything else is additive, including ng 3(/8)s being (five and) three 'magnitudes'. (As prior poster.)

That' s the official way, as far as I'm concerned. But reading VIIII as 9 (copying IX, and as seen on some clock faces) and IMM as 1999 (as MCMXCIX, but shorter) and XXC as 80 (LXXX) is trivial enough. More complex combinations would be Parsing the 'digits' consistently.

(I remember I wrote a BASIC computer program back in the '80s to parse arbitrary combos to consistent values (also arbitrary bases, including fractional and negative ones). I think I used the simple rule that as each nominal character is succeeded by a nominal character of no greater value, keep adding, but when a greater one happens then all the prior sum is subtracted from that new one. IVXLCDM would be (1..4..6..44..56..444..)556, if I've hand-calculated correctly. A regexp/sum-eval implementation might well work, these days, but might send me in a greedy rather than non-greedy direction.)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:47 am UTC

I was really confused when I wrote my birthyear as MVIM after learning roman numerals and people said it was wrong.
The shortest route to 994 is subtracting 6 from 1000 innit? Stupid (post-)roman rules.

Anyway, roman numerals don't have a place in modern society! We've had the superior positional hindu-arabic base-10 numerals for over 1000 years now and it's much more accessible to people all over the world.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:00 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I was really confused when I wrote my birthyear as MVIM
...6BCE? By 'my' method. ;)
after learning roman numerals and people said it was wrong.
The shortest route to 994 is subtracting 6 from 1000 innit?
I'd have 'accepted' VIMM.

(ETA: I think I thought a lot more about this decades ago than I am remembering just now. On second thoughts I might have dealt with repeats as priority multiples, shuffled off magnitudes as 'done' when about to read a lower magnitude/half-magnitude and when seeing an 'upvalue' the currently buffered value is used as a subtraction. Thus MVIM would be: "Read thousand. Five next, so =1000. Read five. One next so =1000+5=1005. Read one. Thousand next so buffer -1. Read thousand, minus one =999. EOF so =1005+999=2004". Which is just as silly, but then it's a 'silly' input. But that method should work with MCMXCIV (or MCMXCIIIIIIX!) perfectly well. And it seems VIMM would be "five+(one less than two thousand)" or 2004 also, unless I used "fivers and units" as monolithic, as a secondary priority after the straight-multiples one.)

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:20 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I was really confused when I wrote my birthyear as MVIM after learning roman numerals and people said it was wrong.
The shortest route to 994 is subtracting 6 from 1000 innit? Stupid (post-)roman rules.

Anyway, roman numerals don't have a place in modern society! We've had the superior positional hindu-arabic base-10 numerals for over 1000 years now and it's much more accessible to people all over the world.

In the David Weber Safehold series, the "Church" had enforced Roman numerals as part of their ban on technological development. I think it was basically that Roman numerals were so cumbersome to use that it would basically prohibit the development of advanced mathematics since running long-hand operations using roman numerals would b the next best thing to impossible, especially given there nothing beyond wind /animal power was allowed so there was no way to automate calculations. ...

side note... Is it possible to even deal in decimals with roman numerals and if so what are the rules?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:31 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:And I'm the guy who sat through The Fifth Element waiting for anything at all about boron.

That movie wasn't boron. It was an actinium movie, really. With a radon the hotel.
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:40 pm UTC

JPatten wrote:
In the David Weber Safehold series, the "Church" had enforced Roman numerals as part of their ban on technological development. I think it was basically that Roman numerals were so cumbersome to use that it would basically prohibit the development of advanced mathematics since running long-hand operations using roman numerals would b the next best thing to impossible, especially given there nothing beyond wind /animal power was allowed so there was no way to automate calculations. ...

Is that the series that starts out with an ancient mage/philosopher telling a bright young boy about the concept of zero, and getting put to death for his heresy? I vaguely remember reading that story. Something about always being cloudy from the war, too.
Former OTTer

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:00 pm UTC

JPatten wrote:side note... Is it possible to even deal in decimals with roman numerals and if so what are the rules?

Fractions, rather than decimals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals#Fractions

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:06 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I wrote my birthyear as MVIM after learning roman numerals and people said it was wrong.

Nope. Shortest route to 994 is:

"nine hundred" = CM
"ninety-" = XC
"four" = IV,

therefore CMXCIV.

(Is anyone else here aware of a late Roman convention in which B represents 200?)

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:32 pm UTC

Old Bruce wrote:I am still waiting for Disney's "Oedipus Rex".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScdJURKGWM
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

DanD

Postby DanD » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:49 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
JPatten wrote:

Is that the series that starts out with an ancient mage/philosopher telling a bright young boy about the concept of zero, and getting put to death for his heresy? I vaguely remember reading that story. Something about always being cloudy from the war, too.

Different series. This one starts out with a human refugee fleet fleeing an alien horde. (For about 3 chapters, so no, not Battlestar Galactica either).

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:51 pm UTC

Which series is it? In safehold the battlefleet is pretty much Ancient history by the time the story opens. Though it sounds like a similar concept.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:33 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:(Is anyone else here aware of a late Roman convention in which B represents 200?)

I was going to ask why nobody thought of using some of the remaining letters for "twos". Wouldn't that avoid any repeated characters (assuming twos could be subtractive)?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

DanD

Postby DanD » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:59 pm UTC

JPatten wrote:Which series is it? In safehold the battlefleet is pretty much Ancient history by the time the story opens. Though it sounds like a similar concept.

I am talking about Safehold, "Off Armageddon Reef" has a prologue that sets up the history and Nimue's back story.

ETA: Although, thinking about it, it may be a retrospective in the early chapters, I don't quite remember.
Last edited by DanD on Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:01 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

JPatten

Postby JPatten » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:00 pm UTC

OK.. It has been awhile since I read the first book. I didn't remember it was that long.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”