1752: "Interplanetary Experience"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thunk

1752: "Interplanetary Experience"

Postby thunk » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:11 am UTC

alt-text: But instead of hitting the ocean, you should land in an overheating hot tub on a sinking cruise ship, sending it crashing through the floor into the burning engine room as the ship goes under.

The Sun: Dig down.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

rhomboidal

Re: 1752: "Interplanetary Experience"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:02 am UTC

Nice idea, but it's just not the same without the hypothermic suffocation ebullism radiation immolation.

PhRX

Postby PhRX » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:18 am UTC

Still in denial about Pluto ?!

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:53 am UTC

But where do I go to get the Earth experience?

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:07 am UTC

teelo wrote:But where do I go to get the Earth experience?

Mt. Everest at any time of day.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:15 am UTC

PhRX wrote:

Not unless you take this as claiming that the Moon and Titan are also planets...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:58 am UTC

phlip wrote:
PhRX wrote:

Not unless you take this as claiming that the Moon and Titan are also planets...

Is there a better adjective that covers all of the solar-system bodies? "Interbodily experience" sounds as though it describes something different altogether...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:08 am UTC

I'd argue that "Interplanetary" is "throughout the planetary disc, circumscribed by all local planets1", except that the chances of being on a body (planet or otherwise) if randomly sticking your pin in a 'map' to decide your presumed destination, is vanishingly small.

But it then means that this place is going to be the answer, 99.999…% of the time.

1 Includes where Pluto is, at the moment, so fits even that. (ETA Whoops, I'm 17 years out of date, just realised... Never mind.)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:42 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:But it then means that this place is going to be the answer, 99.999…% of the time.

.. with the aircon turned up (/down?) to 11, presumably. Well, there's no air to condition, but you'd want the walls of the chamber to be cold. Except for a part simulating the Sun.

I saw the dreamy Prof Cox dropping a feather and cannonball in there on one of his series. It was a bit disappointing somehow - they showed it only in slow motion or something, so the feather didn't seem to drop like a stone.

ETA: yes, that's exactly what they did. I guess the director thought it looked cool, but missed the point of the exercise.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:20 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
I saw the dreamy Prof Cox dropping a feather and cannonball in there on one of his series. It was a bit disappointing somehow - they showed it only in slow motion or something, so the feather didn't seem to drop like a stone.

ETA: yes, that's exactly what they did. I guess the director thought it looked cool, but missed the point of the exercise.

OTOH, it shows the stone dropping like a feather :oops:

Also came to say: Randall left out the equivalent view from That'sNoMoon
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:29 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Also came to say: Randall left out the equivalent view from That'sNoMoon
Typical office-block/warehouse/bus-garage, for the most part. With jittery roombas.

(Left out the garbage compactor, various airshafts/etc and turbolaser turrets, but the cell-block reception is just a tad more Stormtroopery than an offices lobby, etc...)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:05 pm UTC

By many accounts, the Mt. Everest experience of today is positively dreary – just shuffling along in an overcrowded lineup of rich people. Perhaps that will be the ultimate fate of the true "interplanetary experience"? (I bet there's a good short story plot in there somehow.)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:08 pm UTC

PhRX wrote:Still in denial about Pluto ?!

How to get the Pluto experience here on Earth:
Spoiler:

DrSpookymuffin

Postby DrSpookymuffin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:56 pm UTC

The explainxkcd entry for this comic mentions the variation of the Mercurian daytime temperature, from exceedingly hot at the equator (and other latitudes) to very cold at the poles. So I figured that there must be a latitude at which the temperature is a comfortable room temperature.

I found this nice analysis determining this latitude: http://einstein-schrodinger.com/Mercury_temperature.pdf Disclaimer: This is not my work!

stilettoblade

Postby stilettoblade » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:45 pm UTC

Is "heat-shrink wetsuit in a blast furnace" too long to be my new band name?

CelticNot

Postby CelticNot » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:03 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:By many accounts, the Mt. Everest experience of today is positively dreary – just shuffling along in an overcrowded lineup of rich people. Perhaps that will be the ultimate fate of the true "interplanetary experience"? (I bet there's a good short story plot in there somehow.)

I was certain Douglas Adams already tackled that in So Long and Thanks For All The Fish.
This sig for rent. Rates negotiable.

stilettoblade

Postby stilettoblade » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:17 pm UTC

CelticNot wrote:
Jorpho wrote:By many accounts, the Mt. Everest experience of today is positively dreary – just shuffling along in an overcrowded lineup of rich people. Perhaps that will be the ultimate fate of the true "interplanetary experience"? (I bet there's a good short story plot in there somehow.)

I was certain Douglas Adams already tackled that in So Long and Thanks For All The Fish.

Are you thinking about God's Final Message to His Creation? I thought about that too - there's a well-worn path with a ticket-taker and souvenir booths, but there's not an actual queue trudging along.

Aubri

Postby Aubri » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:21 pm UTC

Funny, just the other day I was making a list of the most awesome things about each planet in our solar system, from the perspective of a stellar traveler. (Meaning that things line diamond-core gas giants and scorching balls of rock are relatively unimpressive.) Particularly interesting moons count.

Mercury: Meh
Venus: Supercritical carbon dioxide atmocean (admire from afar)
Earth: Volcanism, liquid water oceans, life, gigantic moon (both in absolute and relative terms)
Mars: Giant canyon system, giant mountain
Jupiter: Great Red Spot
Io: Sulfur volcanoes
Europa: Subsurface water ocean (maybe not that uncommon?)
Saturn: Huge, gorgeous ring system
Titan: Hydrocarbon seas
Enceladus: Giant geysers
Uranus: Sideways
Neptune: Meh

Pluto gets an Honorable Mention for being a binary (dwarf) planet.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:36 pm UTC

Aubri wrote:Funny, just the other day I was making a list of the most awesome things about each planet in our solar system, from the perspective of a stellar traveler. (Meaning that things line diamond-core gas giants and scorching balls of rock are relatively unimpressive.) Particularly interesting moons count.

Mercury: Meh
Venus: Supercritical carbon dioxide atmocean (admire from afar)
Earth: Volcanism, liquid water oceans, life, gigantic moon (both in absolute and relative terms)
Mars: Giant canyon system, giant mountain
Jupiter: Great Red Spot
Io: Sulfur volcanoes
Europa: Subsurface water ocean (maybe not that uncommon?)
Saturn: Huge, gorgeous ring system
Titan: Hydrocarbon seas
Enceladus: Giant geysers
Uranus: Sideways
Neptune: Meh

Pluto gets an Honorable Mention for being a binary (dwarf) planet.

I don't think subsurface water oceans are uncommon. Even in this solar system, we've got Europa, Ganymede, (probably), Enceladus, Titan, maybe Triton, and potentially Callisto.

I agree with the rest of your stuff though. I really like Venus' atmocean (that's an awesome term you invented).

On another note, Titan is super awesome. It's crazy that it's got an active hydrocarbon cycle!

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:10 pm UTC

What about IO's volcanoes? that's pretty cool
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

chenille

Postby chenille » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:04 pm UTC

I liked Futurama's The Series Has Landed, which was about the conflict between the 20th century character's dream of visiting the moon, and the 30th century reality that the main thing there is a cheesy amusement park.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:36 pm UTC

chenille wrote:

I liked Futurama's The Series Has Landed, which was about the conflict between the 20th century character's dream of visiting the moon, and the 30th century reality that the main thing there is a cheesy amusement park.

That is a great episode, athough it (too) shows this on the Moon, which I am grumbly about to this day:
Now I started wondering, if anyone ever took a photograph of any of the descent stages left behind, but it is improbable. When it takes several million dollars to even get to the Moon, you're not going to visit the same place twice.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

DanD

Postby DanD » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:55 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
chenille wrote:

That is a great episode, athough it (too) shows this on the Moon, which I am grumbly about to this day:
Now I started wondering, if anyone ever took a photograph of any of the descent stages left behind, but it is improbable. When it takes several million dollars to even get to the Moon, you're not going to visit the same place twice.

That was from Apollo 2.13. We don't like to talk about it.

That being said, there are images of the departures. I'm not sure if there are any taken of the descent stages after the departures.

http://www.universetoday.com/117331/how ... years-ago/
Last edited by DanD on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:55 pm UTC

From Apollo 16, allegedly. I can't find the original source, though.
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:15 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:What about IO's volcanoes? that's pretty cool

They are pretty neat. I just think that having rivers and stuff made out of natural gas is cooler.

If I had to rank the moons of the gas giants, my order would probably be something like Titan > Enceladus > Io > Europa > Ganymede > Triton > all the rest.

They are all pretty neat though, like Iapetus or Janus or Miranda or Mimas.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:20 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
chenille wrote:I liked Futurama's The Series Has Landed

yakkoTDI

Postby yakkoTDI » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:30 pm UTC

stilettoblade wrote:Is "heat-shrink wetsuit in a blast furnace" too long to be my new band name?

Sixpence None the Richer doesn't think so.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:50 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:Image

Look, it's crushed! Completely different from the proposed one in the studio! Absolute proof that the original landing was faked!
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Aubri

Postby Aubri » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:51 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:I don't think subsurface water oceans are uncommon. Even in this solar system, we've got Europa, Ganymede, (probably), Enceladus, Titan, maybe Triton, and potentially Callisto.

Yeah, that's why I put that "maybe not uncommon" note in there. I'm sort of waiting for some pretty positive statements about the other icy moons before I assume that any icy moon of a large planet is likely to have a subsurface ocean. AFAIK, Europa is the only one where we're pretty certain it's a legitimate ocean. Obviously Enceladus (and anything else that demonstrates cryovolcanism) has some amount of liquid down there, but I wouldn't really call it an "ocean" unless it's contiguous and nearly global rather than, say, widespread pockets of meltwater. Which, incidentally, is also why I referred to Titan as having "seas" rather than a singular "ocean". :wink:

I agree with the rest of your stuff though. I really like Venus' atmocean (that's an awesome term you invented).

Thank you, I was proud of that. Maybe if I say it enough, it'll catch on! :mrgreen:

We have an awesome solar system.

somitomi wrote:Now I started wondering, if anyone ever took a photograph of any of the descent stages left behind, but it is improbable. When it takes several million dollars to even get to the Moon, you're not going to visit the same place twice.

In fact, yes! On Apollo 16 they actually got live video of the ascent (including some impressive remote camerawork, considering that the operator had to command the camera a full second ahead!) and they apparently also took some footage of the descent stage afterward. GIS "apollo 16 descent stage" and you'll see some nice photos. (One of which was already posted. Thanks, Eran!)

Previous flights might have left remote still cameras behind, too, mind you. I haven't researched this at all.
Last edited by Aubri on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:56 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:52 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:Image

Fine! I'll build my own Lunar Lander, with Blackjack and hookers. Infact, forget the Lunar Lander and the Blackjack.

Aubri

Postby Aubri » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:54 pm UTC

Aubri wrote:
Znirk wrote:Image

Well played, Futurama. Well played.

I'd definitely like to see a lunar lander with Blackjack!
Last edited by Aubri on Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:56 pm UTC

teelo wrote:Fine! I'll build my own Lunar Lander, with Blackjack and hookers. Infact, forget the Lunar Lander and the Blackjack.

So you're going to build a hooker? The old-fashioned way, or from scratch?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:30 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
teelo wrote:Fine! I'll build my own Lunar Lander, with Blackjack and hookers. Infact, forget the Lunar Lander and the Blackjack.

Spoiler:
Guy in the middle. Loose Head and Tight Head to each side...

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:09 pm UTC

Really, nobody?

Fine, I guess I'll have to do it.
Spoiler:
Tell me how I can experience Uranus.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:49 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

To create a hooker from scratch, you must first invent the universe...

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:55 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:
somitomi wrote:
chenille wrote:I liked Futurama's The Series Has Landed

Ahh, dang, they're one step ahead of me again.

Now I can die in peace, except for that "Go to space" thing lingering on my to-do list.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Aubri

Postby Aubri » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:38 am UTC

Me, I won't be satisfied until I decapitate a lander MYSELF!

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:21 pm UTC

Aubri wrote:We have an awesome solar system.

We totally do!
This is why extrasolar planets are fascinating to me -- if our solar system is so cool, think about how cool others might be!

serutan

Postby serutan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:35 am UTC

The original source would be the TV feed from the rover when it showed the ascent stage takeoff live.
It was cool to watch.
For a sentient herbivore, discretion is the only part of valor. - Larry Niven

x7eggert

Postby x7eggert » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:18 am UTC

orthogon wrote:I saw the dreamy Prof Cox dropping a feather and cannonball in there on one of his series. It was a bit disappointing somehow - they showed it only in slow motion or something, so the feather didn't seem to drop like a stone.

I saw the non-slow-motion version (they are re-using it). One moment you see nothing but a hanging ball or an empty target, next moment both items are on the ground.

Also I hate it when they show talking heads celebrating themselves.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”