1759: "British Map"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: 1759: "British Map"

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:58 pm UTC

DanD wrote:Knowing the settlement pattern of the area makes it likely that these are names pulled from Britain, but without providing any clue exactly where.

My Hobby: Examining any state/county-scale of "British-settled America" and spotting the half-logical/half-incongruous relationships between UK-originating settlement names. Like "Ha, I see what they did with Luton and Bedford, but how come there's an Aberdeen between them?" ( <- imagined example, but not far off what I've found... )

Every now and then I take geography into factor. I mean... Birmingham, Alabama..?

(Though there are some similarities. "Birmingham is drained only by minor rivers and brooks, primarily the River Tame and its tributaries the Cole and the Rea." -> "The valley is drained by small creeks (Village Creek, Valley Creek) which flow into the Black Warrior River.")

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:00 pm UTC

I expected Qwghlm in there somewhere...
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:09 pm UTC

I'm reminded of reading the original War of the Worlds not so long ago. The story does not hold up very well at all, not in the least because of the names of all these obscure places in the English countryside (i.e. which are slowly being overrun by the invading alien hordes) are quite meaningless to anyone outside of the country. The introduction in my copy noted that localized editions would sometimes substitute their own place names.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:22 pm UTC

Could have done with some words/names from Watership Down, methinks, particularly in Scotland and Wales.

Fhqwhgads as the name of a Welsh town got a big laugh from me. And "Belfast DeVoe" is a reference I never expected to see in this comic.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:41 pm UTC

TIL that the family name Cumberbatch (which also occurs in a variety of other spellings, and presumably pronounciations) may derive from a village in Cheshire which nowadays has its name spelled Comberbach. I suppose though that this is too weak a link to count "Cumberbatch" as a mislocated real place.

Edit:
Steve the Pocket wrote:Could have done with some words/names from Watership Down, methinks, particularly in Scotland and Wales.

Efrafa is a name from Watership Down, and (roughly) correctly located to boot. The whole plot of Watership Down (except for the El-Ahrairah legends) takes place in a precisely identifyable and accurately described area within the triangle formed by the towns of Newbury, Andover and Basingstoke in Berkshire and Hampshire. Most of the placenames from the book (Efrafa being an exception) are real, including "Watership Down".

[Edit 2: More geographical precision.][Edit 3: Still more.]
Last edited by svenman on Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:57 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:51 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I'm reminded of reading the original War of the Worlds not so long ago. The story does not hold up very well at all, not in the least because of the names of all these obscure places in the English countryside (i.e. which are slowly being overrun by the invading alien hordes) are quite meaningless to anyone outside of the country. The introduction in my copy noted that localized editions would sometimes substitute their own place names.

Whereas when the hordes from Firecrow rampage across the Plains Of Merryvale to besiege the castle at Whitekeep, you're still rooting for the Riders Of The Northern Downs... Whether or not there's a pen-and-ink map in the flyleaf, or possibly even appendices that also have extensive glossary and noble family trees.

I didn't want/need to know much about New England/etc when Tom Cruise was out and about not fighting his tripods. (Although I still don't know why something like the USS/USCGC/whatever "Robert J. Thunderchild" couldn't have made a valiant if terminal appearance, during the ferry incident...) For all I know, the journey was like Robin Hood going from Dover to Nottingham via Northumberland (obviously nobody ever did that, right?), but it doesn't really matter to me.

And you don't actually need to know that Wells destroyed Woking (and a further swathe of locations) as musings about how he could (fictionally) kill his neighbours in painful and eccentric ways...

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:57 pm UTC

Apart from the surprising Homestar Runner reference my favorite was "BBC Channel 4"
lol everything matters
-Ed

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:06 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
ramblinjd wrote:I see a few categories emerging... feel free to edit/rearrange/discuss:

Puns on real places:
    Aberforth - arguably a "Barmouth/Abermawr" pun, if Randall knows Welsh at all. (Wouldn't put it past him, even if a long shot...) And it's virtually in the right spot for it, given everything. (Ok, so one whole interesturine stretch too far south, but on a Randall-map that's almost forgivable.)

Aberforth was also the name of Albus Dumbledore's brother in the Harry Potter series. Given the other Harry Potter references in this map (Dobby, Hogsmeade) I'd imagine that this was probably the intended reference.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:10 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:What's with the title? A normal native speaker would say "Map of Britain". Was he trying to avoid the whole England/Britain/UK minefield?

Indeed, if he's trying to play ignorant foreigner, you'd think he would have titled it Map of England. As he really should have done - imagine the YHBTfest in this forum.

Also, the bit of France in the frame should have been Britney.
Envelope Generator wrote:I expected Qwghlm in there somewhere...

Me too, but that'd be more overtly "labeled by a nerd". (Yes, it's already that, but Qwghlm is on a whole other level.) But speaking of islands, where is the Isle of Piltdown Man?

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:38 pm UTC

"Bjork" is both a person and a pun on a real placename, as the map shows it roughly in the location of the actual city of York – which was once known as Jórvík to the Vikings who ruled it in the late 9th and early 10th century CE, and still is today to their Icelandic descendants, of whom Björk Guðmundsdóttir (more popularly known as Bjork to the outside world) happens to be one.

(No, I don't intend to claim that Icelanders are descended from the same Vikings that ruled over York.)

[Edit:] And the Piltdown Man may have been a hoax, but Piltdown is a real place (the gravel pit where the alleged Piltdown Man skull fragments were "discovered" is nearby).
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:58 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:
ramblinjd wrote:I see a few categories emerging... feel free to edit/rearrange/discuss:

Puns on real places:
    Aberforth - arguably a "Barmouth/Abermawr" pun, if Randall knows Welsh at all. (Wouldn't put it past him, even if a long shot...) And it's virtually in the right spot for it, given everything. (Ok, so one whole interesturine stretch too far south, but on a Randall-map that's almost forgivable.)

Aberforth was also the name of Albus Dumbledore's brother in the Harry Potter series. Given the other Harry Potter references in this map (Dobby, Hogsmeade) I'd imagine that this was probably the intended reference.

Ah. I could imagine Rowling making said joke. Less considered than Pratchett, more restrained than Piers Anthony.

And, in hindsight, located around Aberystwyth. For some, that's the "Aber".
Spoiler:

Grop

Postby Grop » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:07 pm UTC

That is quite many mountains.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:25 pm UTC

Probably includes hills.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... ive_height
There are 120 in total: 82 in Scotland, 24 in Ireland, eight in Wales, four in England and one each in Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man. Of these, the top 110 are above 2000 feet (610 m).

For a longer list, see the lists of Marilyns which include all 2008 hills and mountains in the British Isles with a relative height of at least 150 m.

But we have a compact and diverse geography/geology. Notable 'peak areas' are obscured by text, also.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:08 pm UTC

Re: the title text, there are places in the USA like that. The suburbs of Minnesota's capitol:

South Saint Paul is actually south of Saint Paul. We got one right.

North Saint Paul is northeast of Saint Paul, and does not border it.

West Saint Paul is ... south of Saint Paul. Saint Paul actually wraps around it a bit, so you can leave Saint Paul traveling west, go through South Saint Paul, and reach West Saint Paul. You can also leave Saint Paul traveling east, go through Lilydale and Mendota Heights, and reach West Saint Paul.

I have no clue what Saint Paul Park is doing way over there.

(I'm also a bit confused why someplace called "Landfall" exists a thousand miles from the nearest ocean. And why Crystal seems to be playing a game of Qix with New Hope. Gerrymandering, I guess.)

Tsr

Postby Tsr » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:11 pm UTC

leafar wrote:Can anyone explain the reason for a protractor in between Scotland and Northern Ireland?
I wish he had combined the names of the few correct labels in the map and called them "Oxbridge" and "Camford"...

I wonder if it's to do with the (possibly mis-remembered / apocryphal) obscenity act thing -" more erect than the angle of the firth is obscene"

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:54 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
[snip]

(I'm also a bit confused why someplace called "Landfall" exists a thousand miles from the nearest ocean. And why Crystal seems to be playing a game of Qix with New Hope. Gerrymandering, I guess.)

The history of New Hope touches on the origins of the odd boundary. The history of Crystal, perhaps understandably, seems to gloss over this, despite a great deal of information over all.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:01 am UTC

dennisw wrote:The history of New Hope touches on the origins of the odd boundary. The history of Crystal, perhaps understandably, seems to gloss over this, despite a great deal of information over all.

Someone needs to explain the border between the Empire Of Strikes Back and the Tipps Of Alistair, now... ;)

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:03 am UTC

There's a section of Massachusetts where there's a Northborough to the west, a Westborough to the south, a Southborough to the east, and to the north, where (il)logically there should be Eastborough, there's Marlborough.
Whenever visually representing the universe, it's important to include a picture of Saturn!
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:08 am UTC

dennisw wrote:
Mikeski wrote:[...] And why Crystal seems to be playing a game of Qix with New Hope. Gerrymandering, I guess.)

The history of New Hope touches on the origins of the odd boundary. The history of Crystal, perhaps understandably, seems to gloss over this, despite a great deal of information over all.

So, "gerrymandering", but by the will of individual citizens, rather than some Arch-Overlord trying to protect his permanent sinecure. America, dudes.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:17 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
alanbbent wrote:Also, how do the locals pronounce Oughghough?

Oh-ff-Ow

A lot of tourists make that mistake, but actually it's more like "Bahn-sta-pull".

Actually, it's pronounced "Throat-Wobbler Mangrove"
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:28 am UTC

It's curious that, despite there being several real-world places that are incorrectly located on the map, the mislocation that irks me the most is Hogsmeade which, from the descriptions in the books, clearly cannot be in Kent.

Eudae

Postby Eudae » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:43 am UTC

Had to fix the latest comic:

http://imgur.com/a/FkYBz

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:26 am UTC

ramblinjd wrote:Others:
    Chough
    Blighton
    Aidenn
    Basil
    Cabinetry
    Cardigan
    Sundial
    Blandford
    Efrafa

Aidenn is quite possibly a reference to Poe's "The Raven":

"Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, within the distant Aidenn
It shall clasp a sainted maiden whom the angels named Lenore."
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

TonyM

Postby TonyM » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:18 am UTC

leafar wrote:Can anyone explain the reason for a protractor in between Scotland and Northern Ireland?

Perhaps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mull_of_Kintyre_test

enderlord99

Postby enderlord99 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:00 am UTC

Title text reminds me of this.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:59 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:Re: the title text, there are places in the USA like that. The suburbs of Minnesota's capitol:

South Saint Paul is actually south of Saint Paul. We got one right.

North Saint Paul is northeast of Saint Paul, and does not border it.

West Saint Paul is ... south of Saint Paul. Saint Paul actually wraps around it a bit, so you can leave Saint Paul traveling west, go through South Saint Paul, and reach West Saint Paul. You can also leave Saint Paul traveling east, go through Lilydale and Mendota Heights, and reach West Saint Paul.

I have no clue what Saint Paul Park is doing way over there.

And why is there a Centerville right at the edge?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

PKM

Postby PKM » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:12 am UTC

From the "Other" list, I assumed Cabinetry was a reference to Coventry as it's somewhere near the right location. The actual Coventry is at South Norwessex, Cabinetry on the map appears to label somewhere between Oswestry and Wrexham, two names at least as weird as some of the fictional names here.

To be honest, the place names here are quite restrained compared with some you'll find in rural bits of the UK. I just picked a random spot on the map which turned out to be in a triangle between Adlestrop, Chadlington and Ascott-under-Wychwood. I grew up driving through Inner Ting Tong, now I ride my bike down Wibbly Wobbly Lane. It's not a comedy stereotype, that's actually what this place sounds like.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:04 pm UTC

DanD wrote:
orthogon wrote:What's with the title? A normal native speaker would say "Map of Britain". Was he trying to avoid the whole England/Britain/UK minefield?

I say again, did he accidentally invent real place names? The real Cadbury is pretty small, but Braintree, Essex is a place I was well aware of. I could imagine somebody not realising that Cardigan and Paisley were places after which the eponymous clothing and pattern were named. But Braintree seems to me to have too much entropy to have been created by accident. Which makes me wonder whether the misplacing is supposed to be part of the joke, or what.

One potential source is US place names. Massachusetts has both a Braintree and an Essex, near the coast (We also have a middlesex, which is indeed west of Essex, but no Sussex or Wessex or Norsex). Of course we also have a Norfolk (county) that is south of Suffolk. Knowing the settlement pattern of the area makes it likely that these are names pulled from Britain, but without providing any clue exactly where.

Ah, you might be right. I'm totally fine with names of towns being reused, but it feels wrong when the name of a county is used for a town. It's a kind of category error or something, rather like the trend (also more common Stateside but becoming more of a thing over here) of using a surname (like Taylor) as a first name.

On the subject of entropy, and thinking about Barnstaple: I wonder if there's a Correcthorsebatterstaple somewhere? If not, maybe we can found such a place, and make it an xkcder's paradise.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

grkvlt

Postby grkvlt » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:50 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... ive_height
There are 120 in total: 82 in Scotland, 24 in Ireland, eight in Wales, four in England and one each in Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man. Of these, the top 110 are above 2000 feet (610 m).

For a longer list, see the lists of Marilyns which include all 2008 hills and mountains in the British Isles with a relative height of at least 150 m.

Argv, I just got that. I'd like to stab whatever person decided it would be hilarious to call mountains smaller than a Munroe (> 3000ft) 'Marilyns' which, I assume are > 2000 ft but less than a Munroe...
distributed systems hacker abstract visitor pattern {{citation-needed}}

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:51 pm UTC

jmose wrote:Uh, Paisley is in the wrong place. It should be just outside Glassdoor, as it is where Glasgow's airport is.

Paisley is near Glasgow, but has no airport. Glasgow has two airports, one in the city and one in Prestwick.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

Jaruzel

Postby Jaruzel » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:11 pm UTC

Where's the top half of Scotland gone!?

Also, what about Orkney, Shetland, The (rest of) the Western Isles, The Scilly Isles, and the Channel Islands ?

It should be titled 'Map of a bit of Britain, but not quite all of it.' Next time he does the US, I expect Florida, Manhattan, Alaska, and bits of Maine to be missing also to redress the balance.

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:39 pm UTC

Eudae wrote:Had to fix the latest comic:

http://imgur.com/a/FkYBz

Welcome to the forum. (Huh, interesting that you could include a link on your first post.)

Are you familiar with the xkcdsw thread? Your map would fit in there perfectly. (The "sw" bit is not intended as a comment on the quality of your manip.)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:05 pm UTC

grkvlt wrote:[Argv, I just got that. I'd like to stab whatever person decided it would be hilarious to call mountains smaller than a Munroe (>3000ft) 'Marilyns' which, I assume are >2000 ft but less than a Munroe...

Not quite. It's 150m of 'unique peak', or prominence, which means it could be well under a 'mountain' in absolute altitude, but definitely juts up. And then there are "HuMP"s, which are "Hundred Metre Prominences"... and need little further explanation. [Since first writing this, I've discovered that "TuMPs" are Thirty(/"Thurty") Metre Prominences. Not all TuMPs are "tumps" (artificial or natural hillocks), nor are all tumps TuMPs.]

Technically, a Munro (no 'e', definitely named for a person other than Randall) is only in Scotland, but Munro-qualifying (a difficult thing... "Munro Tops" are Munroesque in height but have a greater prominence requirement than mere 'HuMPs') is loosely or widely applied to the rest of the UK, sometimes considering those others as "Furths" ('furth' being Scottish dialect similar to "further (away)", for those outwith of Scotland).

An attempt to make a better objective measurement of 'peak' led to the Murdo classification (I forget its etymology, might be Munro-rooted portmanteau/acronym). All Murdos are a Munro (and vice-versa) or a Munro Top, but not all Tops are Murdos.

Corbetts (for a guy called Corbett) are the 2.5- to 3-thousand feet peaks. Grahams cover 2 to 2.5, and commemorate a list compiler, Miss Graham, but were originally called "Elsies" ("Lesser Corbetts", "LCs") by a guy called Dawson who never became eponymous himself. And a Mr Donald compiled >2000ft peaks in the Lowlands of Scotland, which overlaps somewhat with the above lists, obviously. There are "Tops" lists for all these. The Scots/adopted Scots (who have time) take their geography seriously!

There are also nominative lists by the Nuttalls (England and Wales, >2k ft, Wales being the more mountainous nation between the two by all measures), Wainwright (his noteworthy fells(/summits) above 1k in the Lake District), Birkitt (similar, but not identical, to Wainwright), Hardy (highest bit of a significant locality) and Dewey (500-2000ft), indicating a certain seriousness in list-making amongst the non-Scots, too.

Unlike whoever decided to coin the Hewitts, i.e. "Hills in England, Wales and Ireland over Two Thousand feet". ;)
Last edited by Soupspoon on Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:36 pm UTC

wolf99 wrote:Pure pedantry, but Dubstep isn't in Britain.
In fact to be a complete pedanthole, Belfast Devoe isn't in Britain either.

It's no longer caller Britania Minor? All these changes in names. Ridiculous. What's next? You'll tell me they changed the name of Persia? How do you expect anyone to keep up to date with all those newfangled names?
Jaruzel wrote:Where's the top half of Scotland gone!?

Also, what about Orkney, Shetland, The (rest of) the Western Isles, The Scilly Isles, and the Channel Islands ?

It should be titled 'Map of a bit of Britain, but not quite all of it.' Next time he does the US, I expect Florida, Manhattan, Alaska, and bits of Maine to be missing also to redress the balance.

Maybe the top half of Scotland has had enough of those English invaders (again).

Since we're being pedantic: aren't the Channel Islands colonies?

ebow

Postby ebow » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:40 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:What, no Wainscotting?

We've been mentioned on telly the internet!

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

alanbbent wrote:Unexpected Fhqwhgads.

The Welsh alphabet doesn't have Q.

Sableagle wrote:Randall did get "Eeugh" in the right place, but that's a comment, not a place name. It's actually called Hull.

Isn't "Eeugh" roughly where Grimsby is?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:07 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
grkvlt wrote:[Argv, I just got that. I'd like to stab whatever person decided it would be hilarious to call mountains smaller than a Munroe (>3000ft) 'Marilyns' which, I assume are >2000 ft but less than a Munroe...

Not quite. It's 150m of 'unique peak', or prominence, which means it could be well under a 'mountain' in absolute altitude, but definitely juts up. And then there are "HuMP"s, which are "Hundred Metre Prominences"... and need little further explanation. [Since first writing this, I've discovered that "TuMPs" are Thirty(/"Thurty") Metre Prominences. Not all TuMPs are "tumps" (artificial or natural hillocks), nor are all tumps TuMPs.]

Technically, a Munro (no 'e', definitely named for a person other than Randall) is only in Scotland, but Munro-qualifying (a difficult thing... "Munro Tops" are Munroesque in height but have a greater prominence requirement than mere 'HuMPs') is loosely or widely applied to the rest of the UK, sometimes considering those others as "Furths" ('furth' being Scottish dialect similar to "further (away)", for those outwith of Scotland).

An attempt to make a better objective measurement of 'peak' led to the Murdo classification (I forget its etymology, might be Munro-rooted portmanteau/acronym). All Murdos are a Munro (and vice-versa) or a Munro Top, but not all Tops are Murdos.

Corbetts (for a guy called Corbett) are the 2.5- to 3-thousand feet peaks. Grahams cover 2 to 2.5, and commemorate a list compiler, Miss Graham, but were originally called "Elsies" ("Lesser Corbetts", "LCs") by a guy called Dawson who never became eponymous himself. And a Mr Donald compiled >2000ft peaks in the Lowlands of Scotland, which overlaps somewhat with the above lists, obviously. There are "Tops" lists for all these. The Scots/adopted Scots (who have time) take their geography seriously!

There are also nominative lists by the Nuttalls (England and Wales, >2k ft, Wales being the more mountainous nation between the two by all measures), Wainwright (his noteworthy fells(/summits) above 1k in the Lake District), Birkitt (similar, but not identical, to Wainwright), Hardy (highest bit of a significant locality) and Dewey (500-2000ft), indicating a certain seriousness in list-making amongst the non-Scots, too.

Unlike whoever decided to coin the Hewitts, i.e. "Hills in England, Wales and Ireland over Two Thousand feet". ;)
Looks to me like a slew of extra words to compensate for the fact that Britain doesn't have any mountains in it.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:57 pm UTC

England doesn't, but there's mountains in Wales (eg Snowdon) and Scotland (eg Ben Nevis). Not sure about Northern Ireland.

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:13 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
wolf99 wrote:Pure pedantry, but Dubstep isn't in Britain.
In fact to be a complete pedanthole, Belfast Devoe isn't in Britain either.

It's no longer caller Britania Minor? All these changes in names. Ridiculous. What's next?

Ireland never was "Britannia Minor" (though Ptolemy, in the 2nd Century CE, did call Ireland the equivalent in Greek). Historically, the term "Britannia Minor" was instead used for Britanny (Bretagne) – which, by the way, is not the bit of France visible in the map, that is instead (in terms of historical provinces) constituted of parts of Picardy and Normandy.

PinkShinyRose wrote:Since we're being pedantic: aren't the Channel Islands colonies?

If you'll allow me to continue being as pedantic: they are Crown dependencies.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:20 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
alanbbent wrote:Unexpected Fhqwhgads.

The Welsh alphabet doesn't have Q.

Sableagle wrote:Randall did get "Eeugh" in the right place, but that's a comment, not a place name. It's actually called Hull.

Isn't "Eeugh" roughly where Grimsby is?

No, that's Hull. Grimsby's on the south side of the Humber, so if we ever dig a ditch joining it to the Mersey the southerners can have Grimsby.

Malham-Barmston-Saltfleet-Hyde.png

Not quite shown at the top edge: Wharram Percy.

Really.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”