1760: "TV Problems"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
squall_line
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:36 am UTC

1760: "TV Problems"

Postby squall_line » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:34 pm UTC

Image

Title text: "Certified skydiving instructors know way more about safely falling from planes than I do, and are way more likely to die that way."

I'm not sure if the main comic is meant to be a trolling of Comp Sci students or not, but I DO believe that high-level programming skills (problem solving, systematic thinking, etc) are essential tools for people outside of the Comp Sci realm.

In re: skydiving instructors: Correlation != Causation?

GalFisk
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:26 pm UTC

Re: 1760: "TV Problems"

Postby GalFisk » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:07 pm UTC

I found it to be more of a "just because you're a computer expert, it doesn't mean you can magically and instantly fix everything" kind of comic.

I'm both a computer expert and a certified skydiving instructor, so I got a kick out of this comic.

As a skydiver I do a lot of work to minimize the risks I take, but I have to choose to accept the risks that I cannot eliminate, or give up skydiving. I work hard to help my studens become safe and aware skydivers as well.

As a computer expert, I'm very fortunate to have a job where people are happy to see me instead of annoyed that their equipment is acting up.

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1760: "TV Problems"

Postby cellocgw » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:10 pm UTC

squall_line wrote:
I'm not sure if the main comic is meant to be a trolling of Comp Sci students or not, but I DO believe that high-level programming skills (problem solving, systematic thinking, etc) are essential tools for people outside of the Comp Sci realm.


You have it backwards. A proper education doesn't so much teach facts as it does critical reasoning, problem solving, and so on. Then you can go on to do programming, or inorganic synthesis, or whatever. (Don't get me wrong: the more facts you know, and understand the interplay among them, the more efficiently you can do the reasoning, design, etc. tasks. No physicicst ever forgets the value of c or the rest mass of an electron)
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
squall_line
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:36 am UTC

Re: 1760: "TV Problems"

Postby squall_line » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:51 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:You have it backwards. A proper education doesn't so much teach facts as it does critical reasoning, problem solving, and so on. Then you can go on to do programming, or inorganic synthesis, or whatever. (Don't get me wrong: the more facts you know, and understand the interplay among them, the more efficiently you can do the reasoning, design, etc. tasks. No physicicst ever forgets the value of c or the rest mass of an electron)

I thought I had it forwards?
squall_line wrote:(problem solving, systematic thinking, etc) are essential tools for people outside of the Comp Sci realm.

I would like to clear up this misunderstanding if at all possible.

Thank you!

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5480
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1760: "TV Problems"

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:51 pm UTC

I sometimes like to say "tech support hates me". Not because I'm a difficult clueless moron customer who can't follow their directions, but because by the time I'm calling tech support, I've already gone through all the things they would normally walk customers through to try to fix it, and yes I know very well that it isn't supposed to be behaving this way, and yes indeed that is extremely weird, and I too have no idea why it's doing that, that's why I called you.

The only problems that technically adept people have are the really serious weird bonkers problems, because anything that's not that bad isn't really a problem and they'll just deal with it easily.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3102
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1760: "TV Problems"

Postby orthogon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:12 pm UTC

GalFisk wrote:I found it to be more of a "just because you're a computer expert, it doesn't mean you can magically and instantly fix everything" kind of comic.


Taking into account the title text, I thought it was more that if you're a computer expert, you're more likely to try more elaborate, sophisticated and risky things and therefore more likely to get into a bigger mess. Although the analogy could be that you simply do more things and therefore expect things to go wrong for you more often in spite of your greater experience.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Sunidesus
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:09 pm UTC
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: 1760: "TV Problems"

Postby Sunidesus » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:08 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I sometimes like to say "tech support hates me". Not because I'm a difficult clueless moron customer who can't follow their directions, but because by the time I'm calling tech support, I've already gone through all the things they would normally walk customers through to try to fix it, and yes I know very well that it isn't supposed to be behaving this way, and yes indeed that is extremely weird, and I too have no idea why it's doing that, that's why I called you.

The only problems that technically adept people have are the really serious weird bonkers problems, because anything that's not that bad isn't really a problem and they'll just deal with it easily.


That series of events for me has resulted in my calls getting dealt with immediately (the IT folk where I work tend to ignore people they don't like to deal with, which makes those people even pissier, which makes them harder to deal with, which makes them fall farther down the priority list, repeat ad nauseum). They know if I'm calling/paging there is a serious issue.

The really fun ones are when I get paged and then 5 minutes later I page for help.

Carteeg_Struve
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

Re: 1760: "TV Problems"

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:15 pm UTC

"Wait. If you're downloading something on your phone to update something on your computer, then why can't you just turn your television on to the news?"

"I disconnected it from the cable box to make sure that when it's working it's working due to the computer."

"But if this is taking so long, why didn't you wait-?"

"Look, there's a long line of other details wallpapering this rabbit hole. You don't want to go down this with me. This actually started because I had the whim to be ready to play Super Mario Run next month in 4k. Just leave while you still can."

"But..."

"RUN!"

User avatar
Solra Bizna
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:44 pm UTC

Re: 1760: "TV Problems"

Postby Solra Bizna » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:43 pm UTC

This comic reminds me of both times I tried to upgrade live Debian Jessie installs to Debian Stretch. (In both cases, I eventually succeeded, but on one of those machines I'm still running into basic packages I removed and forgot to replace...)

User avatar
Steve the Pocket
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 am UTC
Location: Going downtuuu in a Luleelurah!

Re: 1760: "TV Problems"

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:55 am UTC

I have a computer science degree and that doesn't mean I understand why things go wrong on my computer, just that I could theoretically write a program that does its bloody job better than it could.

Sometimes I manage to get things working again and I still don't know why they went wrong or how whatever I did fixed them.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: da Doctah and 115 guests