1763: "Catcalling"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

yan

1763: "Catcalling"

Postby yan » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:03 pm UTC

Effect strength => [unstoppable] | Effect range => [2 miles] | Effect duration => [1 year]

I wonder who came up with those options in the first place...

m1el

Re: 1763: "Catcalling"

Postby m1el » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:06 pm UTC

AAaaaaaa! The cursor is wrong :(

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:22 pm UTC

m1el wrote:AAaaaaaa! The cursor is wrong :(

Only if you're on the wrong side of the screen...

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:38 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:

That's not how any of this works!

Especially not the part about forcing prescriptivism through a 'universe control console' with an interface that looks like Windows 3.x.

By the way, dictionaries list catcalling as far broader than 'harasses women' —are they outdated or is it an american thing or is it a temporary focus?

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:41 pm UTC

Heckling is what people do to crap comedians, catcalling is shouting 'nice tits' at a woman on the street. I would say they were outdated.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:49 pm UTC

I assumed catcalling referred to something like what we call wolf whistling. If that's a different thing, it could have its own corresponding animal-attraction setting...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:00 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.
natraj wrote:i have a bizarre mental block against the very idea of people enjoying mint and chocolate together.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:27 pm UTC

"Hey baby way to swing that fine ass. Hey... hey wha-? You're a kitty!"
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:35 pm UTC

Oh goody Randall's baiting the PUA/MRA crowd again. :lol:
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

yakkoTDI

Postby yakkoTDI » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:18 pm UTC

HAH! Like a Universe Control could get a cat to come just because a human summoned it.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:50 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Especially not the part about forcing prescriptivism through a 'universe control console' with an interface that looks like Windows 3.x.

Honestly, the universe running on legacy shit with no proper maint and some bugs makes a great deal of sense.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:31 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
Flumble wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Honestly, the universe running on legacy shit with no proper maint and some bugs makes a great deal of sense.

And here I was assuming that the console simply skinned itself to suit what the operator would find familiar...

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:33 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:By the way, dictionaries list catcalling as far broader than 'harasses women' —are they outdated or is it an american thing or is it a temporary focus?

Hey, stop mansplaining the term "catcalling"! It means just what feminists choose it to mean—neither more nor less!

(mansplain v. To explain something clearly and truthfully while male.)

User warned in other thread, but this post was taken into account, also. ~~Felstaff

fluffysheap

Postby fluffysheap » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:37 pm UTC

Also, opening a can of tuna now harasses women.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:43 pm UTC

chrisjwmartin wrote:
Flumble wrote:By the way, dictionaries list catcalling as far broader than 'harasses women' —are they outdated or is it an american thing or is it a temporary focus?

Hey, stop mansplaining the term "catcalling"! It means just what feminists choose it to mean—neither more nor less!

(mansplain v. To explain something clearly and truthfully while male.)

Kudos for the troll work, but I don't think I've ever heard "catcall" used to mean anything but a vulgar come-on at greater than intimate distance.

I would assume that once the association was made, it suppressed other senses of the term in the same way that any unsavory sense of a term does, that individuals rarely feel it's worth risking the invocation.

I assume I simply missed out on encountering the prior sense of the term myself, though it seems it must have been rather old for that to be the case, that I've never noticed it in any older media.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:56 pm UTC

yakkoTDI wrote:HAH! Like a Universe Control could get a cat to come just because a human summoned it.
Now it seems to me the term should logically apply to both women and cats:

An attempt to summon that inevitably fails, and only servers to disturb and disquiet the object.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:26 pm UTC

Flumble wrote: By the way, dictionaries list catcalling as far broader than 'harasses women' —are they outdated or is it an american thing or is it a temporary focus?

I didn't know that catcalling meant 'harrasses women' either. I thought it was a general term for shouted verbal abuse, like people in the crowd might do to a political speaker.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:29 pm UTC

This reminds me of a meaning-shift of "derail" that someone on this very forum first illustrated for me. In older internet usage, it meant to change the subject of any conversation away from whatever it was about before to anything else. But apparently now it means "to avoid talking about feminism" in any context, even if the original topic-change to feminism was itself a derailment in the older sense.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:33 pm UTC

Catcalling I have never seen used in a more general sense, always targeting women. Derail I have never seen reserved in the way you describe.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:36 pm UTC

I think I might have heard catcalling for more general heckling once or twice? But I've certainly heard it the most with shouting things at women. I would distinguish from types of 'wolfwhistle (hissing and squeaking I have heard more than men actually whistling)' as it actually has words.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:44 pm UTC

doogly wrote:Catcalling I have never seen used in a more general sense, always targeting women. Derail I have never seen reserved in the way you describe.

Yeah, as someone whose social group is similarly dominated by meanieheads (what with it overlapping heavily with your social group), I have likewise never seen "derail" restricted to just being about feminism.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:45 pm UTC

Oh yeah I forgot about that filter.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

chompison

Postby chompison » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:47 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Kudos for the troll work, ...

So... given your current avatar*, catcalling would cause you to be attracted to the caller?

* in a universe in which there is a convenient terminal with an immense assortment of obscure settings (or the ability to invent settings) to configure, it's not unthinkable that there would/could be a setting which causes avatars (and perhaps usernames), as we choose them for ourselves, to define us. I'm sure otherkin would want it that way.

As an aside, I know someone whose throwaway password is "catkiller". Were that someone's actual inclination, Megan's adjustment would be quite handy whenever the desire arose. It would also be useful for rounding up strays. But I imagine people with pet cats probably wouldn't like this change, perhaps more so than those who become plagued** by them - as they may begin to perceive them as mere pests of no value, thus killable.

** albeit in far lower and more manageable numbers than real-life rat or locust plagues, let alone some infinitely spawning population

But perhaps I just have an evil mind. Still, I think maybe Megan, and ultimately Randall, should refrain from trying to "fix" things on a universal level... the hubris is showing.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:56 pm UTC

Pretty funny.

Ugh. Even simply typing the word into Google gives the more modern definition. Bad dictionary!

chrisjwmartin wrote:(mansplain v. To explain something clearly and truthfully while male.)

You had me scared. Now I'm laughing. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:58 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:Oh goody Randall's baiting the PUA/MRA crowd again. :lol:

I reckon this thread's gonna be a goodun!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:02 pm UTC

chompison wrote:... given your current avatar*

* in a universe in which there is a convenient terminal with an immense assortment of obscure settings (or the ability to invent settings) to configure, it's not unthinkable that there would/could be a setting which causes avatars (and perhaps usernames), as we choose them for ourselves, to define us. I'm sure otherkin would want it that way.

You'd think it could work that way. But people are tré silly, choosing random images or words to define themselves. I guess it doesn't matter that it came from their minds. The meaningfulness of it still within their control. This is as supposed opposed to song lyrics.
Last edited by azule on Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:06 pm UTC

My friend Catherine-calling doesn't have that same ring, does it?
—◯-◯

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:18 pm UTC

azule wrote:Pretty funny.

Ugh. Even simply typing the word into Google gives the more modern definition. Bad dictionary!

Huh. Doesn't happen for me. Typing "catcall" or "catcall definition" into Google gives me the non-sexist version unless I delve into specific dictionaries for definitions (and Merriam-Webster isn't the only one that leaves out the sexist version) - all the versions I've looked at include the general noise of disapproval.

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:22 pm UTC

yakkoTDI wrote:HAH! Like a Universe Control could get a cat to come just because a human summoned it.

Precisely. Cats don't allow anything to control them.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:27 pm UTC

chompison wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:Kudos for the troll work, ...

So... given your current avatar*, catcalling would cause you to be attracted to the caller?

Definitely does not seem to work that way, as the figure in my av is a giant robot pilot, and I do not possess a giant robot. Or space boots.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:09 pm UTC

doogly wrote:Derail I have never seen reserved in the way you describe.

This is not a strong rebuttal, but the first non-dictionary result I get on Google for "derail" is this site which seems to be at least in the ballpark of what I'm thinking of.

FWIW I think it was Monika who objected to my use of the more general sense of "derail", somewhere in a very long thread a year or three back.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:24 pm UTC

Rombobjörn wrote:

Precisely. Cats don't allow anything to control them.

That seems to include themselves sometimes...
—◯-◯

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:27 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
doogly wrote:Derail I have never seen reserved in the way you describe.

This is not a strong rebuttal, but the first non-dictionary result I get on Google for "derail" is this site which seems to be at least in the ballpark of what I'm thinking of.

FWIW I think it was Monika who objected to my use of the more general sense of "derail", somewhere in a very long thread a year or three back.

Nothing in that website or in your earlier disagreement with Monika was about just feminism, though, which was the narrowness of the definition doogly and I were talking about.

Monika may have a narrower idea than I do, but for me at minimum derailing (as a transitive verb) is active and intentional, and can't describe the natural drift of any conversation (even if, after some time, the conversation can be described as "off the rails").
---

(he/him/his)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:35 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Nothing in that website or in your earlier disagreement with Monika was about just feminism, though, which was the narrowness of the definition doogly and I were talking about.

It is about related topics though; that site seems to use it to mean specifically avoiding letting marginalized people speak their piece, and not just about (purposefully) changing the topic of a discussion away from what other people in it were talking about in general, which is the narrowness I was talking about. One is an abhorrent practice specifically of sexists/racists/etc against the groups they're bigoted against, the other is just a kind of rude discursive behavior on par with interrupting someone or talking for too long.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:17 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
azule wrote:Pretty funny.

Huh. Doesn't happen for me. Typing "catcall" or "catcall definition" into Google gives me the non-sexist version unless I delve into specific dictionaries for definitions (and Merriam-Webster isn't the only one that leaves out the sexist version) - all the versions I've looked at include the general noise of disapproval.

Since Google tailors to your search history, try an incognito search. I just did now and it's the same as my normal search. Maybe they knew you would like a "non-sexist" result, hah.

Fungo4

Postby Fungo4 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:27 am UTC

Whoops I messed up, now it just unstoppably harasses all women in a 2 mile radius for a year

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:36 am UTC

Fungo4 wrote:Whoops I messed up, now it just unstoppably harasses all women in a 2 mile radius for a year

"Thanks Trump!"

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:45 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
doogly wrote:Catcalling I have never seen used in a more general sense, always targeting women. Derail I have never seen reserved in the way you describe.

Yeah, as someone whose social group is similarly dominated by meanieheads (what with it overlapping heavily with your social group), I have likewise never seen "derail" restricted to just being about feminism.

Ditto. I frequent a thread in another forum, about the coming high-speed railway line in the UK - what sane discussion there is is drowned out by angry calls from Liverpool posters who claim it to be a great injustice that the line is going directly to Manchester but not Liverpool, and that the whole scheme should be scrapped as a result. Moderators are frequently telling them (and Manchester posters who bait them) to stop derailing the thread... and I've only just noticed the pun therein.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:46 am UTC

CharlieP wrote:Ditto. I frequent a thread in another forum, about the coming high-speed railway line in the UK - what sane discussion there is is drowned out by angry calls from Liverpool posters who claim it to be a great injustice that the line is going directly to Manchester but not Liverpool, and that the whole scheme should be scrapped as a result. Moderators are frequently telling them (and Manchester posters who bait them) to stop derailing the thread... and I've only just noticed the pun therein.
On the other side of the Pennines, forces in Sheffield objected to the eastern fork of HS2 'only' going through the edge of Sheffield, the station being built at the side of the main shopping 'mall' for the Sheffield-and-environs area, where the main road route also is, and not into the centre of Sheffield (served by bus, tram and standard non-high-speed rail links, 5 to 15 minutes of travel away, depending on luck). So they campaigned to get HS2 moved and the new proposal ended up moving the main HS2 away from Sheffield (beyond neighbouring Rotherham, which it would have originally also have handily served, all the way over to near Doncaster, and now incidentally also threating the existence of an expensive and recent new-build housing estate), with just a spur loop servicing Sheffield's centre, via connections to the regular lines through Sheffield's main station. Last I heard was that the Doncasterwards path had been confirmed whilst the Sheffield spur was still up in the air (though on the ground, as opposed to the necessary viaduct at the original planned station site).

Thus... those who wielded the veto who wanted the rails to make their way through Sheffield have not gotten their way, as their protests derailed the way the railway would make its way through a really handy station, but they can't yet print the stationery on the Sheffield station solution because the planning process for the way through Sheffield is comparatively stationary compared to that for the track now being railed against by those living in the way who are firing flak as they'd rather the nation not lay its track past a Doncaster tack and through their back yards, or do entirely away, to their dismay, with their maisons nouveau some day soon-or-so. Did you get all that Ok?

(I hope you don't get riled due to this rail-based derail, but how could I fail to regail you in pales of the travailles not a million miles from the tale just told, in details, of a story that hails from across the hills so covered in trails...)

yan

Postby yan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:42 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Fungo4 wrote:Whoops I messed up, now it just unstoppably harasses all women in a 2 mile radius for a year

"Thanks Trump!"

"Thrump!°

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”