1763: "Catcalling"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Diadem

Re: 1763: "Catcalling"

Postby Diadem » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:57 am UTC

Flumble wrote:By the way, dictionaries list catcalling as far broader than 'harasses women' —are they outdated or is it an american thing or is it a temporary focus?

Ok so I'm confused about terminology now.

Wikipedia says about Wolf-whistling:
Wolf-whistling or finger whistling is a type of whistling in which fingers are inserted in the mouth to produce a louder and more penetrating tone.

A wolf-whistle is a two-toned sound (like 'whip-woo') commonly made using the above technique to show high interest or approval of something or someone (originally a young girl or woman thought to be physically/sexually attractive).[1] Today, in English-speaking countries, wolf-whistling is considered a form of sexual harassment.[2][3][4]

This confuses me on many levels. The technique of whistling with two fingers in your mouth is in my experience most often used in concerts and other such events, as a sign of approval. A form of cheering basically. There's nothing at all sexual in it. The two-toned whistle that wikipedia describes above exists, and is (almost exclusively) used to sexually harass women, but in my experience it's always done without fingers, so as a normal whistle. This could be a local thing, perhaps, but I have consumed enough US media to know that wolf-whistling during concerts is common over there as well.

Wikipedia doesn't have an entry on cat-calling. But google, Wiktionary, Meriam-Webster and the Oxford Dictionary all give the more generic definition. Of these, only wiktionary lists the narrower definition of 'A shout, whistle, or comment of a sexual nature, usually made toward women' at all.

Language is always fuzzy and different people use words differently, so that's not surprising. But I wonder at the cultural angle here. If you wolf-whistle at someone to get their attention (something that's not at all remarkable over here), is that likely to be misconstrued as having a sexual meaning (and thus sexual harassment) in the US?

*edit* off-topic, but amusingly the wikipedia entry on 'street harassment' (where 'catcall' gets redirected to) is self-contradicting on the meaning of these terms. I guess language really is hard sometimes.
Last edited by Diadem on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

ericgrau

Postby ericgrau » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:58 am UTC

Noooo you fool! This opens the door for some crazy to easily trap and kill off cats.

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:59 am UTC

Diadem wrote:If you wolf-whistle at someone to get their attention (something that's not at all remarkable over here), is that likely to be misconstrued as sexual harassment in the US?

Pretty much everything is likely to be misconstrued as sexual harassment in the US.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:33 pm UTC

azule wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
azule wrote:Pretty funny.

Flumble wrote:By the way, dictionaries list catcalling as far broader than 'harasses women' —are they outdated or is it an american thing or is it a temporary focus?

Ugh. Even simply typing the word into Google gives the more modern definition. Bad dictionary!

Huh. Doesn't happen for me. Typing "catcall" or "catcall definition" into Google gives me the non-sexist version unless I delve into specific dictionaries for definitions (and Merriam-Webster isn't the only one that leaves out the sexist version) - all the versions I've looked at include the general noise of disapproval.

Since Google tailors to your search history, try an incognito search. I just did now and it's the same as my normal search. Maybe they knew you would like a "non-sexist" result, hah.

Maybe it matters that I'm doing the search on the UK Google?

Or maybe I just don't know how to incognito my Google search? Either way, I find it hard to believe that Google goes so far as to change their Google definition of the word to suit different audiences, and that doesn't include the sexual harassment meaning (though one of the example uses is a reference to it being used for sexual harassment - which doesn't mean the term implies sexual harassment any more than "pinch" does)

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:53 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:The technique of whistling with two fingers in your mouth is in my experience most often used in concerts and other such events, as a sign of approval. A form of cheering basically. There's nothing at all sexual in it. The two-toned whistle that wikipedia describes above exists, and is (almost exclusively) used to sexually harass women, but in my experience it's always done without fingers, so as a normal whistle. This could be a local thing, perhaps, but I have consumed enough US media to know that wolf-whistling during concerts is common over there as well.

I was surprised when I learned that Americans whistle to express approval at concerts. Where I grew up (Netherlands, Germany) whistling indicates strong disapproval, at concerts and soccer matches. To signal approval, you cheer and/or clap.

The two-tone, lips only, wolf whistle means the same, though: it signals one finds a woman attractive. Whether this is a compliment or harassment depends on context.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:40 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:
Diadem wrote:The technique of whistling with two fingers in your mouth is in my experience most often used in concerts and other such events, as a sign of approval. A form of cheering basically. There's nothing at all sexual in it. The two-toned whistle that wikipedia describes above exists, and is (almost exclusively) used to sexually harass women, but in my experience it's always done without fingers, so as a normal whistle. This could be a local thing, perhaps, but I have consumed enough US media to know that wolf-whistling during concerts is common over there as well.

I was surprised when I learned that Americans whistle to express approval at concerts. Where I grew up (Netherlands, Germany) whistling indicates strong disapproval, at concerts and soccer matches. To signal approval, you cheer and/or clap.

It's used for both, actually. Long, drawn-out whistling means disapproval, but whistling in repeated short bursts is approval. At concerts you mostly see the latter kind, at soccer matches mostly the former.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:44 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:I was surprised when I learned that Americans whistle to express approval at concerts. Where I grew up (Netherlands, Germany) whistling indicates strong disapproval, at concerts and soccer matches. To signal approval, you cheer and/or clap.

I always assumed the whistling at soccer matches was an attempt to persuade the referee that it was time to blow the final whistle.

The two-tone, lips only, wolf whistle means the same, though: it signals one finds a woman attractive. Whether this is a compliment or harassment depends on context.

Indeed - I often see it written (as "wit woo" or similar) on Facebook, usually by a female friend of somebody who's just posted a new picture of herself. The same person walking down the street would probably take offence if the same sound came from nearby scaffolding...
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ShuRugal

Postby ShuRugal » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:55 pm UTC

chrisjwmartin wrote:
Diadem wrote:If you wolf-whistle at someone to get their attention (something that's not at all remarkable over here), is that likely to be misconstrued as sexual harassment in the US?

Pretty much everything is likely to be misconstrued as sexual harassment in the US.

This goes double for the US Armed Forces. I had an anti-sexual-harassment briefing not terribly long ago wherein the speaker stated that having a desire to have sex with a woman was a form of sexual harassment.

One of the first such briefings I ever had stated that being unhappy about someone declining your advances was also harassment.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:47 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:
GlassHouses wrote:The two-tone, lips only, wolf whistle means the same, though: it signals one finds a woman attractive. Whether this is a compliment or harassment depends on context.

Indeed - I often see it written (as "wit woo" or similar) on Facebook, usually by a female friend of somebody who's just posted a new picture of herself. The same person walking down the street would probably take offence if the same sound came from nearby scaffolding...

There's a (presumably intended to be) female-on-male 'wolf whistle', via a couple of electric guitar 'slides' in "The Joker" by the Steve Miller Band (not to be confused with brothers Ed or David(!)) in the "some people call me Maurice..." bit.

From my necessarily limited cultural perspective, a lot of the whistling towards the opposite sex is probably intended to be complimentary in its own way, but overuse by less than restrained males (and in certain strata and latitudes of society, certainly here in the UK, similarly 'boystrous' hen-night gaggles) who invariably go too far in the objectification process with their accompanying dialogue so that it gets taken as less than positive even before such expectations are met. And so often does it descend into a negative feedback, whether or not there is no/negative acknowledgement returning the call-out, that there are few situations where a random stranger should really be addressed by such a method. Not that everyone realises (or cares about) this.

For a performance, however, the assumed extrovert performer might well be expected to consent to receive such a signal as part of a general acclaim at perhaps the level of a standing ovation (or during a performance where acclaimnis expected, e.g. any Hen-Party Central venue whilst their male strippers are in 'action' on stage. But (in any event not explicitly unheteronormative in its admiration) it'd almost certainly need to be used when when the leading lady (or possibly a pantomime's 'principal boy', though that needs a mature audience without a care for an immature audience to sully their perceptions of the panto, but the Dame might well 'coquettishly' encourage that audience response, despite everything!) comes to take her own singular curtain-call bow, and the floodgates may stay open as the supporting actors (not limited to the supporting actors who are actresses) follow on in a significant air of adulation.

Depreciative whistles tend to be single-tone/-downramping, drawn out affairs amongst vocalised jeerings, certainly in affirmed heterosexual men-watching-men crowds such as at a football match, aimed at highlighting the thoughts of 'biased' referees, succeeding opponents or failing home-team actions. The two-tone fluctuating signal in such a heteronormative atmosphete most definitely implies an insult, probably with homophobic undertones.

A rising single longish note tends to be an attention-grabbing signal (not useful in a crown of similar attention-grabbers, mostly singly, across crowded or opened space, by someone who doesn't mind grabbing the attention of everyone else in earshot, whilst an 'arching' note (frequency and volume probably linked, possibly the attempt at increasing the latter causing an unfettered accompanying rise of the former) might well be used in either sole-whistler attention grabbing situations or in mass, uncoordinated, adulative ones.

And then there's whistles with very definite meanings, but apart from a partifularly rural version of audience interaction, I don't think anybody needs to worry about (or with!) that kind of thing too often... ;)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:46 pm UTC

ShuRugal wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:

This goes double for the US Armed Forces. I had an anti-sexual-harassment briefing not terribly long ago wherein the speaker stated that having a desire to have sex with a woman was a form of sexual harassment.

One of the first such briefings I ever had stated that being unhappy about someone declining your advances was also harassment.

If people in the military stopped raping so much, maybe you'd need fewer briefings about sexual harassment.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:09 pm UTC

ShuRugal wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:

While I disagree that having the desire to have sex with a woman is harassment (in the absence of known telepathy), it's also impossible to prove either way (again, in the absence of telepathy). Expressing the desire to have sex with a woman, particularly in a way or context that implies that the desire conveys the right to do so, or behaving in a way that makes it apparent you harbour such a desire, on the other hand, is reasonable to class as harassment.

Similarly, while being upset about something is impossible to police and unreasonable to outlaw, expressing that disappointment can reasonably be judged as unacceptable depending on the details.

They may have been exaggerating their position a bit, but there's a valid point somewhere behind it - namely that it's easy to make someone feel they're being harassed even when that's not your intention, and having an expectation that someone should have sex with you is an easy way to end up acting in ways that make them feel harassed.

Tallest Skil

Postby Tallest Skil » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:25 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:Oh goody Randall's baiting the PUA/MRA crowd again. :lol:

Looks more like virtue signaling to third/fourth wave feminism.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:44 pm UTC

It's a cat comic based on a pun.

There may be comics that amount to virtue signaling, but one implying it's better to call cats than harass women hardly qualifies.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:14 pm UTC

chrisjwmartin wrote:

Tallest Skil wrote:

I would like to point out how adorable I find you both.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:29 pm UTC

Oh yeah? Well I'm adorable even if you don't say so.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:12 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:

Tallest Skil wrote:

I would like to point out how adorable I find you both.

And I'm just debating fast forwarding two months and banning them both now.

Because that's where this is going to end.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:17 am UTC

You're one of those femi-alt-right aren't you
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:08 am UTC

Mutex wrote:

I reckon this thread's gonna be a goodun!

Didn't take long did it? :mrgreen:
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:15 am UTC

markfiend wrote:
Mutex wrote:

I reckon this thread's gonna be a goodun!

Didn't take long did it? :mrgreen:

Longer than expected, to be honest.

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:35 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:I would like to point out how adorable I find you both.

It's true! I *am* adorable. If only more people realised it xxx

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:39 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:And I'm just debating fast forwarding two months and banning them both now.

Because that's where this is going to end.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to be banned from saying it on the pretend grounds that an open web forum is somehow equivalent to a private house from which someone can be 'shown the door'."
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, paraphrasing Voltaire

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:45 pm UTC

Adorable people don't generally double-post though. You poor thing.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:27 am UTC

..... but what about nekomimi?
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:36 am UTC

chrisjwmartin wrote:the pretend grounds that an open web forum is somehow equivalent to a private house from which someone can be 'shown the door'."
How are those pretend grounds? This forum is hosted and moderated on a volunteer basis by people who have no obligation to "protect" your "right" to be as much of a prick as you clearly want to be.
---

(he/him/his)

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:58 am UTC

*munches popcorn*

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:27 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:the pretend grounds that an open web forum is somehow equivalent to a private house from which someone can be 'shown the door'."
How are those pretend grounds?

(You are asking this question of someone whose posting privileges were removed three days ago. He has already learned they are quite realistic grounds.)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:02 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
How are those pretend grounds?

(You are asking this question of someone whose posting privileges were removed three days ago. He has already learned they are quite realistic grounds.)
You linked to a post made two and a half days earlier than the one I replied to. I therefore strongly doubt any forum permissions were removed on the 24th.
---

(he/him/his)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:55 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:You linked to a post made two and a half days earlier than the one I replied to. I therefore strongly doubt any forum permissions were removed on the 24th.

Hm. Unless egosearch is still broke, the mods did some cleanup. "User has 20 posts", but only 17 show up in the post list (and the one you replied to isn't one of them, though it's still in this thread). Anyway, he seems gone now, whether the mods did it or he got bored...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 am UTC

Of course egosearch is still broken.
---

(he/him/his)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:51 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Language is always fuzzy and different people use words differently, so that's not surprising. But I wonder at the cultural angle here. If you wolf-whistle at someone to get their attention (something that's not at all remarkable over here), is that likely to be misconstrued as having a sexual meaning (and thus sexual harassment) in the US?
In my impression, the slow two toned one always has a sexual/flirtatious connotation.

A quick two toned whistle (and several other whistles) has a connotation of calling/commanding an animal, so I would also avoid using that for humans.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:45 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Diadem wrote:Language is always fuzzy and different people use words differently, so that's not surprising. But I wonder at the cultural angle here. If you wolf-whistle at someone to get their attention (something that's not at all remarkable over here), is that likely to be misconstrued as having a sexual meaning (and thus sexual harassment) in the US?
In my impression, the slow two toned one always has a sexual/flirtatious connotation.

If it's this kind of wolf whistle in tone, then yes, it means "I find you sexually attractive" in the USA. (And probably also means "I am a boor whose views on gender relations would embarrass my grandfather".)

If it's the "two fingers in the mouth" kind that's just meant to be REALLY LOUD, then it doesn't (necessarily) mean those things.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:17 am UTC

I've personally never been able to whistle with my fingers in my mouth. The concept remains mysterious to me.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:24 am UTC

Is there a name for the two-tone whistle that's opposite the order of the wolf whistle? Someone earlier transcribed the wolf whistle as "whit-woo"; I'm wondering what you call the whistle that'd be "woo-whit", like to call someone's attention.

I found a super short (0:09) YouTube clip of a kid doing the whistle in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6RQ3CNPJCc

The kid in this video seems to use his fingers to produce it, but I would make that kind of whistle with just my lips. (I don't know how to finger whistle).

On that last note (about finger whistle vs other methods), I seem to have two different methods of fingerless whistling, and one of them many people seem to find very surprising to hear, and I don't know if it's common or if either method has a specific name.

One of them, the more common kind I think, is produced by pursing the lips, like you're going to blow out a candle, and controlling the flow of air through them, the shape of them, and some tongue placement in the center of the mouth, but without the tongue touching anything inside the mouth. That kind I can sustain for so long as I have breath in my lungs, can produce the same sound exhaling or inhaling (though it seems harder to sustain it for as long while inhaling, like I "run out of breath" faster, except the opposite of running out of breath), and produces a pure tone almost like a sine wave, apparently dependent in pitch on how hard I blow (harder is higher). This method is significantly louder than the one below, and it what I would use to make that attention-getting whistle like in the video above. I learned that one mostly to mimic the whistles of large parrots (my family bred parrots when I was a kid, so I was around them a lot).

The other one of them, the one that surprises people to hear, is produced by putting the sides of the tongue against the top molars and kind of lightly biting down on it with the bottom molars, leaving the tip of the tongue floating loose behind the top incisors, about how it would be articulates to produce an "S". I then usually produce short, high-pitched chirps, wherein I tend to move my lips and possibly other mouth parts as though I was saying "yoo" or "wee"; but experimenting right now, I can produce a continuous tone (of variable pitch) too, and do it while keeping my lips conspicuously parted and immobile (for a given pitch; I have to purse them more to get a lower note). I learned that one mostly to mimic the small wild birds around my area, and I'm told that it sounds startlingly realistic; people are usually taken aback and ask if I'm really making that sound, which is what makes me wonder if maybe that's a weird uncommon kind of whistle, and if it has a name anyone knows of so that I could Google about it.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:28 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I learned that one mostly to mimic the whistles of large parrots (my family bred parrots when I was a kid, so I was around them a lot).

I have no idea what they sound like, but can't you teach them almost any sound?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:40 pm UTC

Yeah I guess the whistles that I was mimicking from the parrots were probably them mimicking human whistles they had learned elsewhere. Whistling doesn't seem to be their native mode of vocalization, which is more of a creaking sound (that I can also mimic, but only while inhaling, oddly).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:32 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Wikipedia doesn't have an entry on cat-calling. But google, Wiktionary, Meriam-Webster and the Oxford Dictionary all give the more generic definition. Of these, only wiktionary lists the narrower definition of 'A shout, whistle, or comment of a sexual nature, usually made toward women' at all.

I think someone might have mentioned it but I avoided mentioning Urban Dictionary, where "sexist" definitions are prominent. The main dictionaries might list formerly controversial words like "fuck" but their editors have seemed to succumb to prescriptivism for some terms instead of the descriptivism I'd hope to see. You can blame many things for this failure.

rmsgrey wrote:Maybe it matters that I'm doing the search on the UK Google?

Or maybe I just don't know how to incognito my Google search? Either way, I find it hard to believe that Google goes so far as to change their Google definition of the word to suit different audiences, and that doesn't include the sexual harassment meaning

Looks to be the same result. You have to expand the result. The short version has the gender neutral definition, but if you expand it it shows both, both listed under "1".

GlassHouses wrote:I was surprised when I learned that Americans whistle to express approval at concerts. Where I grew up (Netherlands, Germany) whistling indicates strong disapproval, at concerts and soccer matches. To signal approval, you cheer and/or clap.

It means all of the above. When I hear it I find it annoying, even if I know it's meant for approval. But remember, even the construction worker version is meant this way, too, but it just depends on the social construct/agreement that we find it offensive. At a concert it's fine, similar to how moshing is fine there but not in another public venue.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:48 pm UTC

I can do that bird-whistle thing, by forming a half-funnel with my tongue so the airflow goes through a small channel (about bird-throat-sized, I guess) behind my top front teeth. I confused a teacher who was into birds with that one once. You know the line in Romeo and Juliet, "It was the nightingale, and not the lark, that pierced the fearful hollow of thine ear?" Well, it sounded like a lark to him. ;)
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:38 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:I've personally never been able to whistle with my fingers in my mouth. The concept remains mysterious to me.

I've never been able to whistle at all, so at least I'm safe from any accusations of doing that wolf-whistling thing.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:31 pm UTC

Harsh truth: no, you're not. You're safe from truthful accusations of having done so and from people misinterpreting your whistling of Some People Call Me The Space Cowboy as a wolf-whistle aimed at them, but you are not safe from allegations of sexual harassment.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:18 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Harsh truth: no, you're not. You're safe from truthful accusations of having done so and from people misinterpreting your whistling of Some People Call Me The Space Cowboy as a wolf-whistle aimed at them, but you are not safe from allegations of sexual harassment.

That was more or less said in jest.

Besides, I don't recall claiming the opposite, unless of course someone messed with the universe control console again, so that wolf-whistling now means the exact same thing as sexual harassment (rather than being a subset of it).
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”