1768: "Settling"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Re: 1768: "Settling"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:53 pm UTC

Maybe I've been settling for years. Maybe.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:36 pm UTC

I just broke up with my girlfriend. This comic was a pretty big catalyst to get it over with.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

yellow103

Postby yellow103 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:05 pm UTC

RicketyEng wrote:Both of these categories are only counting the times you made the wrong decision. Shouldn't there be a third category for the times you decided to stay and it turned out to be the correct decision? What could be a fourth column for the times you left and it turned out to be the right decision can be combined with the times you didn't leave and should have left sooner.

I thought of it as times he had ended up staying, and inlcuding times that was right or not.

TvT Rivals

Postby TvT Rivals » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:30 am UTC

The comic seems to say it's better to quit <whatever> as soon as it stops being fun/advantageous.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:13 am UTC

Tub wrote:This sounds a lot less motivational when you take it as relationship advice.

Sad_chart.gif

alt_text: just pretend that I was crying while I drew it and can normally write really well with a mouse, okay?
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:10 pm UTC

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

chaoric

Postby chaoric » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:18 am UTC

I was facing a tough decision in my life. I could have kept the status quo, living my life as I have been for the last 30ish years, or I had the opportunity to make a drastic change that I have wanted to do for years (fear of the reaction of others [some of which may come in replies to this] and fear of the future had kept me in check).

Then I read this comic. While not the sole reason for doing so, it was one of the deciding factors that pushed me to go for the change. I made an appointment with my doctor the following week (now last week), and I started my gender transition. I told my sister tonight, and I plan to tell my parents sometime in the next few days. My doctor and sister have both been very supportive. My journey has just begun so I cannot be certain, but so far this is definitely something I should have done sooner.

kelly_holden

Postby kelly_holden » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:17 am UTC

chaoric wrote:I was facing a tough decision in my life. I could have kept the status quo, living my life as I have been for the last 30ish years, or I had the opportunity to make a drastic change that I have wanted to do for years (fear of the reaction of others [some of which may come in replies to this] and fear of the future had kept me in check).

Then I read this comic. While not the sole reason for doing so, it was one of the deciding factors that pushed me to go for the change. I made an appointment with my doctor the following week (now last week), and I started my gender transition. I told my sister tonight, and I plan to tell my parents sometime in the next few days. My doctor and sister have both been very supportive. My journey has just begun so I cannot be certain, but so far this is definitely something I should have done sooner.

Good Luck! Hope it all goes well for you. :D

HES

Postby HES » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:48 pm UTC

Congratulations, chaoric! We have an amazing community here, particularly in this thread, who I'm sure will be able to offer advice and support should you wish.
He/Him/His Image

Quantized

Postby Quantized » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:34 am UTC

chaoric wrote:I was facing a tough decision in my life. I could have kept the status quo, living my life as I have been for the last 30ish years, or I had the opportunity to make a drastic change that I have wanted to do for years (fear of the reaction of others [some of which may come in replies to this] and fear of the future had kept me in check).

Congratulations chaoric! Sorry I'm late to say so. I wish you the best of luck! We are all here to support you :)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”