1787: "Voice Commands"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

squall_line

1787: "Voice Commands"

Postby squall_line » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:06 pm UTC

Title text: "Dvorak words may sound hard to pronounce, but studies show they put less stress on the vocal chords"

"Okay Google, send a Text"

somitomi

Re: 1787: "Voice Commands"

Postby somitomi » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:30 pm UTC

I wonder what the pronunciation of ';' is in Dvorak...
"It's like he's his own alt account. Saves all the logging in and out."/poxic
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:52 pm UTC

I think it's pronounced "semi-colon"

Burton

Postby Burton » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:54 pm UTC

It's an "S". He's saying "Okay Google Send a Text". (If you press the corresponding Qwerty key on a Dvorak keyboard)

I used to type like that all the time. I had Dvorak at home, and if someone sent me an instant message I would quickly reply with the wrong keyboard in mind. It would come out as gibberish like that. Now I just use QWERTY like everyone else.

Justin Lardinois

Postby Justin Lardinois » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:05 pm UTC

inb4 "QWERTY was designed to slow typists down"

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:13 pm UTC

That isn't how "GOOGLE" is spelt/spelled.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:24 pm UTC

Old Bruce wrote:That isn't how "GOOGLE" is spelt/spelled.

How do you figure?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:31 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:I wonder what the pronunciation of ';' is in Dvorak...

Whatever the sound is that comes after a close-parenthesis and before drop
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

dfjdejulio

Postby dfjdejulio » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:49 pm UTC

This would be perfect if I could also use such systems with reverse polish notation.

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:51 pm UTC

I like how the first two characters of Dvorak for "send" make a cheeky smiley.

CByrd17

Postby CByrd17 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:58 pm UTC

Shouldn't the text actually be "OK GOOGLE sEND A TEXT" ?

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:07 pm UTC

When I first looked at this forum page, there was no translation, so I found this webpage for translating Dvorak: http://wbic16.xedoloh.com/dvorak.html, and got the "ok google send a text" after translation.

However, this is not properly secure. In the grand tradition of triple rot 13, it should be triple dvorak encoded:

Code: Select all

0) okay google send a text
1) svat ussupd ;dlh a kdbk
2) ;.ak f;;frh zhpj a vhnv
3) zeav yzzyoj /jrc a .jl.

I have not yet determined how many more rounds of forward dvorak encoding must be performed to return to the original text (I'm sure one of you clever lads or lassies will find out for me), nor which put the minimum possible strain on the vocal cords. Some of the worst mappings may require emergency surgery after pronouncing.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:15 pm UTC

keithl wrote:I have not yet determined how many more rounds of forward dvorak encoding must be performed to return to the original text (I'm sure one of you clever lads or lassies will find out for me), nor which put the minimum possible strain on the vocal cords. Some of the worst mappings may require emergency surgery after pronouncing.

I ran it through a python script; it looks like the answer is 209. Here's the code, in case anyone wants to check my work:

QWERTY = '''-=qwertyuiop[]sdfghjkl;'zxcvbn,./_+QWERTYUIOP{}SDFGHJKL:"ZXCVBN<>?'''
DVORAK = '''[]',.pyfgcrl/=oeuidhtns-;qjkxbwvz{}"<>PYFGCRL?+OEUIDHTNS_:QJKXBWVZ'''
def translate(strng):
   newstr = ''.join([DVORAK[QWERTY.index(i)] for i in strng])
   return newstr
startstr = QWERTY
for i in range(1000):
   startstr = translate(startstr)
   if startstr==QWERTY:
     print i
     break
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:37 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:I ran it through a python script; it looks like the answer is 209. Here's the code, in case anyone wants to check my work:

-=qwertyuiop[]sdfghjkl;'zxcvbn,./_+QWERTYUIOP{}SDFGHJKL:"ZXCVBN<>?
[]',.pyfgcrl/=oeuidhtns-;qjkxbwvz{}"<>PYFGCRL?+OEUIDHTNS_:QJKXBWVZ'

Visually, a cycle of 15, a cycle of 2, parts of the first cycle, another 2...

The number will be a priduct of 2, 3 and 5, minimally, but battery is on 1%, so I'll leave it to someone else to compkete...

[Long after ETAed to add, certainly certainly ninjaed: I then spotted a 14 pattern, before power went. And after that (left charger at home, only just bagged a recharge!) in my head decided that a 209 cycle looked like factors of 11 and 19 were involved. But, given that 2x3x5x7=210, decided you'd done an off-by-one error. But what I really want to do is compare typical UK flavour QWERTY and Dvorak keyboard layouts. That may be differently factoring... Anyway, now to read the rest of the thread, while this charge lasts. Pity i drained my backup powerpacks earlier that day.]
Last edited by Soupspoon on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:14 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
taixzo wrote:I ran it through a python script; it looks like the answer is 209. Here's the code, in case anyone wants to check my work:

The number will be a priduct of 2, 3 and 5, minimally, but battery is on 1%, so I'll leave it to someone else to compkete...

I guess the actual number is 210, as it starts counting at 0. That gives a product of 2 * 3 * 5 * 7.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BrianB

Postby BrianB » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:19 pm UTC

Burton wrote:It's an "S". He's saying "Okay Google Send a Text". (If you press the corresponding Qwerty key on a Dvorak keyboard).

Aha! I tried it the other way around at first (Dvorak to QWERTY key). I thought to myself WTH does ";.af f;;frh zpj a vhnv" mean?

squall_line

Postby squall_line » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:53 pm UTC

keithl wrote:When I first looked at this forum page, there was no translation.

:?: :?: :?:
Unless there were two threads that were later merged, the original post contained the translation; it's the sole reason I took the time to create the post.

BrianB wrote:Aha! I tried it the other way around at first (Dvorak to QWERTY key). I thought to myself WTH does ";.af f;;frh zpj a vhnv" mean?

I started that way, too. I got through the first word before I tried it in reverse. :oops:

I'm still a bit confused how Speech Recognition would be programmed as an *overlay* of the keyboard, rather than as a translation tool.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:11 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Old Bruce wrote:That isn't how "GOOGLE" is spelt/spelled.

How do you figure?

Poorly.
My mistake, I messed up with the "G"s in "Google". Everything else made sense, except I switched back to Dvorak to Qwerty (or do I mean the vice versa) for the Gs and only the Gs, just my Selective Dvorak Dyslexia Syndrome (not a real thing TM) kicking in for the first time.

niauropsaka

Postby niauropsaka » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:51 pm UTC

Τηατ'σ νοτ ηος τηισ ςορκσ! Τηατ'σ νοτ ηος ανυ οφ τηισ ςορκσ!

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:04 pm UTC

niauropsaka wrote:Τηατ'σ νοτ ηος τηισ ςορκσ! Τηατ'σ νοτ ηος ανυ οφ τηισ ςορκσ!

Wow - is there really a Greek keyboard layout so close to QWERTY? I mean, that's impressively close to direct transliteration. (Mainly, ς should be ω. And of course there are things no simple keyboard layout change will get right, like Θ for th.)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:23 pm UTC

Υεσ, τηε δεφαθλτ Γρεεκ λαυοθτ ισ βασιψαλλυ τηε ΘΣ ;ςΕΡΤΥ λαυοθτ ςιτη σομε "ςειρδ" λεττερσ ςηερε εωερ τηε Γρεεκ αλπηαβετ δοεσν'τ ηαωε α ψορρεσπονδινγ Λατιν λεττερ. (ανδ α ;θεστιον μαρκ ατ τηε λοψατιον οφ τηε : )

Унфортунателъ, фор Църиллиц ъоу хаже то гет а нон-стандард лаъоут то гет сометхинг тхат тъпес лике ЯВЕРТЪ. Фор еьампле, тхис ис тхе "Булгариан традитионал пхонетиц лаъоут".

Итс пробабли бетер ту врайт фонетиккали лайк дис до, бикос Сириллик ис а лот дифферент фром Латин. Δε γκρηκ αμποβ βας ετ ληστ λεζιμπολ, βερες δε Σιριλικ νταουν χιρ ις μορ λεζιμπολ δεν δε γκρηκ χιρ.*

*In short, I'm not certain I did the greek phonetics right. But I blame Modern Greek for that. Doric Greek at least used single letters to describe different sounds and had more than five vowels. (for as far as the phonology can be reconstructed)

[edit] small fixes
Last edited by Flumble on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mznow

Ruby decoder (pry repl)

Postby mznow » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:37 pm UTC

~$ pry
[1] pry(main)> xkcd1787='svat ussupd ;dlh a kdbk';
[2] pry(main)> qwerty=('`1234567890-=qwertyuiop[]\asdfghjkl;'"'"'zxcvbnm,./~!@#$%^&*()_+QWERTYUIOP{}|ASDFGHJKL:"ZXCVBNM<>? ').chars ;
[3] pry(main)> dvorak=('`1234567890[]'"'"',.pyfgcrl/=\aoeuidhtns-;qjkxbmwvz~!@#$%^&*(){}"<>PYFGCRL?+|AOEUIDHTNS_:QJKXBMWVZ ').chars ;
[4] pry(main)> (xkcd1787.chars.each_with_object qwerty.zip dvorak).map do |xkcd_chr, dtoq| (dtoq.assoc xkcd_chr).last end.join
=> "okay google send a text"
[5] pry(main)>

RandyKC

Postby RandyKC » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:47 pm UTC

Using Dvorak might help certain Twitter users make their tweets more intelligible. (Still dealing with recent events)

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:11 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:

A cycle of 15, a cycle of 14, two cycles of 2, and `1234567890\am are all cycles of 1. (Double the number of each type of cycle if you count shifted keys separately.)

'qxbnlpros;z/[- 15
,w 2
.edhjcigufytkv 14
=] 2
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:17 am UTC

I just got a new cell phone and carrier. I am used to fast typing to get the individual letters. I tried sending a text and all sorts of strange words popped up. I'd like to see how voice command devices work with "huked on fonix".
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:16 am UTC

Swipe typing, like T9 before it, is surprisingly unforgiving to poor spellers. = [
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:29 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Унфортунателъ, фор Църиллиц ъоу хаже то гет а нон-стандард лаъоут то гет сометхинг тхат тъпес лике ЯВЕРТЪ. Фор еьампле, тхис ис тхе "Булгариан традитионал пхонетиц лаъоут".

Huh, interesting. This "Bulgarian standard phonetic" does work pretty well for this purpose, doesn't it? (It's factoids like these that make me insufferable in person, so thanks for that.)
Δε γκρηκ αμποβ βας ετ ληστ λεζιμπολ, βερες δε ςιριλικ νταουν χιρ ις μορ λεζιμπολ δεν δε γκρηκ χιρ.*

The rest of your post was straightforward but I can't make anything of this last sentence.

niauropsaka

Postby niauropsaka » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:25 am UTC

I think Flumble was trying to say, "The Greek above was at least legible, whereas the Cyrillic down here is more legible than the Greek here."

Serious points for trying to get Demotic phonics, such as they are, correct. Two points taken off for using ς instead of Σ at the beginning of "Cyrillic."
Last edited by niauropsaka on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

clockworkbookreader

Postby clockworkbookreader » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:26 am UTC

Our Peerless Cartoonist needs an anatomy lesson. You can use vocal CORDS to hum one note of a musical CHORD.
In the event of pneumothorax, stab me with an 18g angiocath just above the second rib in the midclavicular line.
Thank you.

fibonacci

Postby fibonacci » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:27 am UTC

clockworkbookreader wrote:Our Peerless Cartoonist needs an anatomy lesson. You can use vocal CORDS to hum one note of a musical CHORD.

Vocal chords allow multi-byte Unicode input by using Tuvan throat singing.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:23 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Υεσ, τηε δεφαθλτ Γρεεκ λαυοθτ ισ βασιψαλλυ τηε ΘΣ ;ςΕΡΤΥ λαυοθτ ςιτη σομε "ςειρδ" λεττερσ ςηερε εωερ τηε Γρεεκ αλπηαβετ δοεσν'τ ηαωε α ψορρεσπονδινγ Λατιν λεττερ. (ανδ α ;θεστιον μαρκ ατ τηε λοψατιον οφ τηε :)

Унфортунателъ, фор Църиллиц ъоу хаже то гет а нон-стандард лаъоут то гет сометхинг тхат тъпес лике ЯВЕРТЪ. Фор еьампле, тхис ис тхе "Булгариан традитионал пхонетиц лаъоут".

Итс пробабли бетер ту врайт фонетиккали лайк дис до, бикос Сириллик ис а лот дифферент фром Латин. Δε γκρηκ αμποβ βας ετ ληστ λεζιμπολ, βερες δε ςιριλικ νταουν χιρ ις μορ λεζιμπολ δεν δε γκρηκ χιρ.*

*In short, I'm not certain I did the greek phonetics right. But I blame Modern Greek for that. Doric Greek still used single letters to describe different sounds and had more than five vowels. (for as far as the phonology can be reconstructed)

Hmmm, is it weird if I can read cyrillic letters despite not speaking any language that uses it? I mean I know why I can read Greek letters (thanks, engineering school), but I had to actually bother learning cyrillic ones. Guess I had a lot of boring classes in high school...
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.

ChurchSkiz

Postby ChurchSkiz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:53 pm UTC

I just realized how I'm going to be "an old guy" to my grandkids.

"Grandpa what is that rackety thing on your desk with all those letters?? You mean you actually have to touch the letters to make words???? Why not just let the voice module take over?"

"I prefer the old clicking of the keys!"

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:39 pm UTC

ChurchSkiz wrote:I just realized how I'm going to be "an old guy" to my grandkids.

"Grandpa what is that rackety thing on your desk with all those letters?? You mean you actually have to touch the letters to make words???? Why not just let the voice module take over?"

"I prefer the old clicking of the keys!"

You have GOT to be kidding me. I mean, I know there are/were some famous writers who stuck with typewriters after the dawn of the word processor, but I never understood the motivation.

I struggled through writing a student tech manual the old way. Then going back and drawing in the equations/subscripts/superscripts etc. with a Koh-i-Noor ink pen (not to mention going through a lot of correcting fluid). Took frikkin' forever. If I'd have waited a few years I could have done it with a word processor in probably half the time. When I got my first word processor, a DOS-based app called New York Edit that came on a single floppy disc, my life changed in a "quantum leap" kinda way. Well, at least my writing life ... didn't make me any less a geek. But geez ... a choice of fonts, different sizes, inflection marks. Writing was actually fun. Best of all ... no ribbon tool bars!
Last edited by Heimhenge on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:54 pm UTC

ChurchSkiz wrote:I just realized how I'm going to be "an old guy" to my grandkids.

"The keyboard. How quaint."

Unclevertitle

Postby Unclevertitle » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:20 pm UTC

After laughing hysterically at today's comic I started considering changing "Okay Google" to a audible version of "Svat Ussupd" as a means of making sure my phone doesn't start accidentally thinking I'm talking to it due to audio from the TV...

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:20 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:

"The keyboard. How quaint."

"You mean you have to use your HANDS!? It's like a baby's toy!"
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:04 pm UTC

niauropsaka wrote:I think Flumble was trying to say, "The Greek above was at least legible, whereas the Cyrillic down here is more legible than the Greek here."

Serious points for trying to get Demotic phonics, such as they are, correct. Two points taken off for using ς instead of Σ at the beginning of "Cyrillic."

That's correct.
And I'm flattered. How the hell did I mess up the C in Cyrillic though? :oops:

ps.02 wrote:
Δε γκρηκ αμποβ βας ετ ληστ λεζιμπολ, βερες δε ςιριλικ νταουν χιρ ις μορ λεζιμπολ δεν δε γκρηκ χιρ.*

The rest of your post was straightforward but I can't make anything of this last sentence.

Blame the Greeks. They thought it was a good idea to pronounce β as a v, δ as a th, η as an ee and so on. So they now have μπ for a b, ντ for a d and γκ for a g.

somitomi wrote:Hmmm, is it weird if I can read cyrillic letters despite not speaking any language that uses it? I mean I know why I can read Greek letters (thanks, engineering school), but I had to actually bother learning cyrillic ones. Guess I had a lot of boring classes in high school...

Does it matter whether it's weird? At least we can read street signs in Eastern Europe. :D (And transliterate memes in order to find some audio/video sources, which was my main drive to learn the alphabet :P )

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:04 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:Hmmm, is it weird if I can read cyrillic letters despite not speaking any language that uses it? I mean I know why I can read Greek letters (thanks, engineering school), but I had to actually bother learning cyrillic ones.

Well, and to be fair, once you pick up the Greek alphabet, you're already halfway to sounding out Cyrillic.

Aubri

Postby Aubri » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:10 pm UTC

I've gotten fairly good at transliterating Aurebesh, especially given a bit of context. (Unfortunately, those characters are not included in the Unicode standard for some reason.)

This does not help me get around Eastern Europe, but if I ever wind up on Coruscant...

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:49 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:
somitomi wrote:Hmmm, is it weird if I can read cyrillic letters despite not speaking any language that uses it? I mean I know why I can read Greek letters (thanks, engineering school), but I had to actually bother learning cyrillic ones.

Well, and to be fair, once you pick up the Greek alphabet, you're already halfway to sounding out Cyrillic.

That's the thing, I learned ciryllic before starting university and inadvertently being exposed to Greek letters on a daily basis.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”