1789: "Phone Numbers"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

squall_line

1789: "Phone Numbers"

Postby squall_line » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:03 pm UTC

Title-text: "Texting should work. Unless the message is too long, in which case it gets converted to voicemails (sic), and I think I'm locked out of my voicemail."

I have a few friends whose contacts look this way. I partially blame Google/Android and the migration to my new phone.

Side-note: Is a three-comics-in-a-row new thread streak considered a hat trick?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: 1789: "Phone Numbers"

Postby poxic » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:07 pm UTC

If one receives imaginary internet points for creating a comic thread, then yes, it would be an imaginary hat trick.

Also, this is why I don't trust people to answer when I phone/text them. Everyone has too many phone numbers.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:32 pm UTC

I have one phone number. The only folk I know with multiple numbers are "purveyors of rare herbs and proscribed chemicals".
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:55 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:I have one phone number. The only folk I know with multiple numbers are "purveyors of rare herbs and proscribed chemicals".

I always thought it was "prescribed chemicals".

Pseudo-edit: The Internets agree with me. That's a stupid pair of words though: almost identical pronunciation and almost antonyms.

(INB4 "cleave").
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

EugeneStyles

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:21 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
markfiend wrote:I have one phone number. The only folk I know with multiple numbers are "purveyors of rare herbs and proscribed chemicals".

Pseudo-edit: The Internets agree with me. That's a stupid pair of words though: almost identical pronunciation and almost antonyms.

(INB4 "cleave").

No, he definitely meant proscribed. Purveyors of prescribed chemicals and purveyors of proscribed chemicals are (generally) two different types of people.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:46 pm UTC

EugeneStyles wrote:
orthogon wrote:

(INB4 "cleave").

No, he definitely meant proscribed. Purveyors of prescribed chemicals and purveyors of proscribed chemicals are (generally) two different types of people.

What who meant, though? markfiend, the character Marwood, or the scriptwriter? (My reasoning was that he was selling prescription drugs on the black market, though in retrospect it's not clear for what medical conditions "the embalmer" might be indicated...)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

EugeneStyles

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:07 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
EugeneStyles wrote:
orthogon wrote:

What who meant, though? markfiend, the character Marwood, or the scriptwriter? (My reasoning was that he was selling prescription drugs on the black market, though in retrospect it's not clear for what medical conditions "the embalmer" might be indicated...)

Oh, I see. The "he" I was referring to was the previous poster, markfiend. Yes, that quote does seem to be "prescribed" as you pointed out, but it definitely sounds like the author meant "proscribed." So, yeah... point taken, objection withdrawn.

Edit: My objection to the original(?) wording is that selling someone a "prescribed chemical" implies to me that the chemical was specifically prescribed to them and wouldn't warrant a conversation with police, as opposed to a chemical which commonly requires a prescription which the purchaser has not obtained.

Yu_p

Postby Yu_p » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:18 pm UTC

Curiously I can't relate to that problem with phone numbers. I do however get issues of that kind with Skype accounts, Email addresses, ...

richP

Postby richP » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:26 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:(snip)
(INB4 "cleave").

Or how about "fused"? As in "the intense heat fused the two pieces of metal together" vs "the circuit drew so much current that the wire fused"

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:38 pm UTC

richP wrote:
orthogon wrote:(snip)
(INB4 "cleave").

Or how about "fused"? As in "the intense heat fused the two pieces of metal together" vs "the circuit drew so much current that the wire fused"

No, those two are identical. You probably wanted to state that the fuse blew, i.e. the little metal part melted and separated from the other. However, the word "fuse" as used in the circuit-breaker sense derives from the Latin for melt/pour as in a foundry (also from the same root). In all these cases, 'fuse' means to melt, and as you notice, you had to use the word "together" to indicate the final state.

Just don't get me started on the relatively recent split between "fuse" and "fuze" when it comes to ordnance.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:32 pm UTC

My number is Beechwood4-5789. The one below it, 867-5309, is Jenny's. And Rick, don't lose it.

Confusion

Postby Confusion » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:00 pm UTC

I do not get it (but then I am a one-number kinda guy). It seems like he is saying that #1 is for the cell, without any side-effects to think of except the receivers preferences. Hence, I would keep #1 (and possibly add #3 for emergencies, if the person is close enough). If it is professional relationship, add only #5.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:18 pm UTC

I'm going thru this right now. I didn't have a cell phone until my company made me part of the "disaster recovery" team. So, I put away my Luddite hat, and now actually am glad I have one. Now, my company has been 'acquired' and we are transitioning to new tech equipment, but until the TSA is over, we're operating on *two* devices for each company. A laptop for both and now, a new phone is coming. I need a bigger backpck when I travel.

But what I want to know is why, in my Contacts list in my iPhone, is the very first option for listing multiple phone numbers... "Home Fax"? Does anybody even have those any more? :shock:
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

puppysized

Postby puppysized » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:40 pm UTC

I was the person with two numbers for a while--one was my flip-phone, which had texting disabled by my parents, so it was only good for calling. The other was some app I downloaded on my other phone so I could text, but I wouldn't use it to call because it had bad sound. :lol:

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:09 am UTC

My number is 1800 CALL TEELO. You don't actually have to dial the last digit, but I hope people do anyway.

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:58 am UTC

Confusion wrote:I do not get it (but then I am a one-number kinda guy). It seems like he is saying that #1 is for the cell, without any side-effects to think of except the receivers preferences. Hence, I would keep #1 (and possibly add #3 for emergencies, if the person is close enough). If it is professional relationship, add only #5.

I think he actually said #2 was the best, except oddly that was the only one he didn't refer to by numerical position, calling it instead "the Google Voice one".

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:24 am UTC

I presume #2 also forwards to #1 when it's not forwarding to the laptop, so #1 is entirely unnecessary because #2 will reach either it or a better alternative.

#5 also just forwards to #1 and so is redundant with #1 which is redundant with #2.

#3 "always works" but doesn't have text, so since #2 will presumably work just as well if not better than #3 and does have text, #3 is redundant too.

#4 has already been discarded for whatever reason.

Really he just needs to say to use the second one, and the rest is just a point by point explanation of why the others are inferior or unnecessary.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:07 am UTC

My landline which I have had over 10 years is almost identical to the regional coordinator's sat one of my jobs. The only difference is I dial an 8 to get an internal line for her and my area code to get my home. On more than one occasion I called her but got someone else's desk because I don't know my home number.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:48 am UTC

Keyman wrote:I'm going thru this right now. I didn't have a cell phone until my company made me part of the "disaster recovery" team. So, I put away my Luddite hat, and now actually am glad I have one. Now, my company has been 'acquired' and we are transitioning to new tech equipment, but until the TSA is over, we're operating on *two* devices for each company. A laptop for both and now, a new phone is coming. I need a bigger backpck when I travel.

But what I want to know is why, in my Contacts list in my iPhone, is the very first option for listing multiple phone numbers... "Home Fax"? Does anybody even have those any more? :shock:

The other slot is for their mobile.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:41 pm UTC

EugeneStyles wrote:Yes, that quote does seem to be "prescribed" as you pointed out, but it definitely sounds like the author meant "proscribed." So, yeah... point taken, objection withdrawn.

Edit: My objection to the original(?) wording is that selling someone a "prescribed chemical" implies to me that the chemical was specifically prescribed to them and wouldn't warrant a conversation with police, as opposed to a chemical which commonly requires a prescription which the purchaser has not obtained.

Yes, I meant "proscribed" for that reason. I was working on the basis that "prescribed" must have been a mistake in the transcription of the screenplay.

Edit to add: it doesn't help that Marwood pronounces the word in question as "prəscribed" which could be either.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:16 pm UTC

I have three phone numbers.

One is my work number, whose voicemail gets forwarded to my work email.
One is my private landline, whose voicemail gets forwarded to my private email.
The third is my cell phone, which also happens to be what I use to read my email, private and work.

Of course I don't usually give people all three of those numbers. :) At work, everyone can look up my work phone number in the company directory, and only one or two people have my cell phone number, for emergencies. I give my private landline to businesses, and have the ringer on that phone always turned off, so I don't get disturbed by their robocalls. Friends and other trusted entities get my cell phone number.

It's a hassle-free setup, and I imagine there are millions of people that do the same thing, or something very similar. And we don't call attention to it by giving everybody all our numbers; that would defeat the purpose.

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:51 pm UTC

I have a google voice number. That's the only number I give people. I use gvoice forwarding so my google voice number shows up in caller ID, and all for one simple reason. I fucking hate voice mail. Google voice lets me read it, which gets it over quick. It's not a perfect transcription, but it's good enough.

Occasionally somehow someone will get real number and then add it to their contacts. That is the worst fate, because then they leave voice mails, the stupid kind you have to listen to. I might have taken advantage of an unlocked phone or two to remove my real cell number and replace it with the gvoice number.

At my old job, tried to set up my work phone to forward to gvoice, but it didn't want to play nice.
from da craddle to da grave, geek life 4 eva
better show hardcore respect ya'll

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:03 pm UTC

netsplit wrote:I fucking hate voice mail. Google voice lets me read it, which gets it over quick.

Note that cell phone providers have similar voicemail transcription services, albeit they usually have an additional fee. I know T-Mobile had a free demo period a couple years back, and it actually did OK. Unfortunately, nobody left me a voicemail in Hungarian during the demo period, so I don't know how it would've handled a different language, but for English, it was certainly sufficient for getting the gist of the message. (My solution to hating voicemail is just basically never listening to it. I check my phone logs to see who called, and if I'm curious about why they called, I call them back.)

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:34 pm UTC

netsplit wrote:Occasionally somehow someone will get real number and then add it to their contacts. That is the worst fate, because then they leave voice mails, the stupid kind you have to listen to. I might have taken advantage of an unlocked phone or two to remove my real cell number and replace it with the gvoice number.

Have you thought about turning off voicemail? Or caller ID? Or both?

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:45 pm UTC

Who leaves voicemail these days anyway? If you don't get through, you text or email.
He/Him/His Image

zerox

Postby zerox » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:27 am UTC

This is me.

I live in the UK and Hong Kong.

I have a UK landline at home which is the cheapest way for me to get broadband (£18 per month), but I don't use it to call out as it costs a lot (about 50p per call plus 15p per minute).

I don't use a phone for calls and texts sufficiently to make subscribing to a plan worthwhile. It is also silly to pay monthly for a device when I can afford to buy them outright. Therefore whenever I find a SIM deal which does not require regular payments, I take it up.

Several years ago, Lebara paid me £20 and gave me 2000 minutes which never expired. After using those up, an MVNO offered me 100 minutes, 100 texts and 1GB data per month for life with a single one-off payment of £10. However, it wouldn't let me transfer in old numbers, so I had to use the new one. This has now become my "regular" number, which I use for WhatsApp.

Not unexpectedly, the company went bankrupt after 18 months, so I transferred the number to another operator. The problem is that I didn't use my real name and don't know what security details it was set up with. It also charges normal calling rates to listen to voicemail, and you must speak to a human to disable voicemail. So I don't use voicemail but can't disable it. To make calls, I have to top up with money, and I am a stingy bastard.

I then took up an offer of 4 FreedomPop SIMs which again promise 200 minutes, 200 texts and 200MB data free forever, however, in order to make calls and texts you must use their app, which does not work on AlienDalvik, therefore I have to use my iPad which is wifi-only. (Fortunately, you don't actually need to put the SIM in the device to set up the app for wifi calls). Furthermore, if not using wifi, call quality is poor.

Moreover, my house has poor cell reception.

So when I call out from home, I use one of my 4 FreedomPop numbers on my iPad. To receive calls at home, my landline or iPad can be used. When I am out, I have to pay to call with my "regular" number if there is no free public wifi, but I get free data from the FreedomPop SIM and can tether my iPad to send texts.

It would cost a lot to use roaming on my UK phones in Hong Kong, therefore when I am in Hong Kong, I use local SIMs, of which I have 4, which are all on a grandfathered plan of HK$50 for 6 months that gives me far more minutes, texts and data that I can ever use. However, if I do anything to those numbers apart from topping up with $50 every 6 months, I will have to start paying monthly fees and get new limits on data. Of course, my UK free numbers work on wifi in Hong Kong.

I also own a premium rate UK number which can be redirected to many other numbers including my Hong Kong phones for free. I provide this number to companies who want my phone number, but it would be a dick move to make individuals call it (at 50p per minute).

If someone calls me, it's generally a telemarketer so I don't answer anyway. If I want a friend to call me I just use WhatsApp when I have wifi or give them a specific number to call on a specific day.

netsplit
Location: Z̈̓̾̾̀̉ͬ̅ͯͪͬ̚͢͏̴̝̝̩̳͙͘a̷̧̰̥̯͎͍͍̻̮͔̭̰̗̺̩̐̀͛͐ͥ͐ͨ͆̀̉̐̌̅͑ͣ͟ͅľ̸̠̟̭̲̜̹̗͎͍̗̤͖̤͕̣̝̀̊̑ͯͬ͌̍ͬ͂ͤ͛̀̚g̍̅́ͮ̌̏ͣ́̀͏͍

Postby netsplit » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:47 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
netsplit wrote:Occasionally somehow someone will get real number and then add it to their contacts. That is the worst fate, because then they leave voice mails, the stupid kind you have to listen to. I might have taken advantage of an unlocked phone or two to remove my real cell number and replace it with the gvoice number.

Have you thought about turning off voicemail? Or caller ID? Or both?

Carrier wants extra for that. I've looked into that and voicemail forwarding, same problem as well.

JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

netsplit

Postby netsplit » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:51 pm UTC

Reka wrote:
netsplit wrote:I fucking hate voice mail. Google voice lets me read it, which gets it over quick.

Note that cell phone providers have similar voicemail transcription services, albeit they usually have an additional fee. I know T-Mobile had a free demo period a couple years back, and it actually did OK. Unfortunately, nobody left me a voicemail in Hungarian during the demo period, so I don't know how it would've handled a different language, but for English, it was certainly sufficient for getting the gist of the message. (My solution to hating voicemail is just basically never listening to it. I check my phone logs to see who called, and if I'm curious about why they called, I call them back.)

I didn't know about that, but I'll look into it. My current solution is free as long they don't find out my real number. I don't know how gvoice handles Hungarian, but it seems to have trouble with SW Michigan dialects of English, other parts of the country it does fine, but people from around here, the sentences it thinks said are sometimes very interesting, but not quite what was said

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”