1792: "Bird/Plane/Superman"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

orthogon

Re: 1792: "Bird/Plane/Superman"

Postby orthogon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:04 am UTC

HES wrote:
wolf99 wrote:Can't believe no-one has mentioned the planes having occasional mid-air sex thing yet!?

How safe is planesex? It looks extremely dodgy to me. (Sure, I could just Google, but I'd rather riff on it here for a bit).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:03 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Maybe this house should have some sort of translucent film on its windows.

plane.jpeg

They probably left the landing lights on...

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:28 pm UTC

Netreker0 wrote:
sonar1313 wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
tobiasly wrote:In India, they created a fine for planes which intentionally dump their waste, which I doubt they would have bothered to do if it weren't possible and didn't happen regularly.
In the US, they blocked entry from a bunch of countries because "terrorism", despite the fact that no one from those countries has ever killed any American citizen in any kind of terrorist attack.

Don't assume that all laws are based on reasonable assumptions.

I'm going to self-flagellate when I'm done with this for helping immediately veer the discussion towards politics, but Libyans killed mostly Americans on Pan Am 103 (bound for New York); of the various people thought to be the mastermind behind the USS Cole attack, all are Yemeni, and the attack is believed to be backed by the Sudanese government; the Benghazi attack happened in, uh, Benghazi, Libya.

Disclaimer is that I make no political judgments either way with this post. But facts are facts.

These are attacks that happened outside of American soil, with the exception of the Libyan embassy attack. Stricter immigration policies wouldn't have helped to prevent terrorist attacks outside of American soil. Despite the attack being on American soil, immigration reform also wouldn't have changed anything with respect to Benghazi (I hope you don't need a citation for this one.)

I'm not going to make any arguments as to the reasonableness of the countries on this list or of the specific steps taken against the countries on this list. I will say that in terms of the historical record of attacks within the U.S., if we're constructing a list of countries that need extra vetting, we're leaving some important countries off the list. The big terrorist attack that started all this was done by Saudi nationals, and if I've been counting correctly, they've got more victims than all the other attacks combined. In fact, even if you add in attacks that didn't take place on U.S. soil, the 9-11 bombers are still the Yankees of terrorism against Americans. A close second place is Pakistan. Not only are these countries somehow exempt from scrutiny, IIRC they both have visa exempt status. In terms of terrorism abroad--including the countries that are on the ban list--Saudi nationals and Saudi oil money has been supporting radicalizing Islamic schools and terrorist activities for decades. While I don't believe the Saudi government is complicit, they've absolutely know this is going on and have done next to nothing to stop it.

Also, if you're really concerned about attacks like the U.S.S. Cole bombing, you should lobby for a real replacement or a substantial refit for the Arleigh Burke class destroyer. I don't recall if people in this forum in particular were like this, but I find that a lot of sciencey type people and military nerds were way too enamored with the Zumwalt prototype destroyer.

I think the immigration polices actually would have prevented the Lockerbie bombing, since that was a US bound plane belonging to a US airline. They wouldn't have been allowed to board.

Oh, also: I think the A-B destroyer is easily the most capable warship in our arsenal right now. There's a good reason the LCS's and Zumwalts are riddled with political sniping while the Navy just keeps on trucking building dozens of Burkes. Trying to design a ship against all manner of threats is a fool's errand - it's a multi-billion dollar investment. At some point you have to look at your force protection procedures as well, which the Navy has long since done and hasn't had an issue since.

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:49 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:In the US, they blocked entry from a bunch of countries because "terrorism", despite the fact that no one from those countries has ever killed any American citizen in any kind of terrorist attack.

Ah, this must be the famous "singular they", right? Kind of appropriate for somebody who refers to himself in the third person, I suppose.

Trump refers to himself in first person plural. So "they" is appropriate when someone else refers to him. I mean them.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:29 pm UTC

sonar1313 wrote:...but Libyans killed mostly Americans on Pan Am 103 (bound for New York)...

I might be veering into tinfoil hat territory but IIRC Private Eye has some evidence that it was actually Iran behind the Lockerbie bombing.

OTOH the Eye also kept plugging the MMR/Autism link long after it was discredited, so there's that.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:38 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:OTOH the Eye also kept plugging the MMR/Autism link long after it was discredited, so there's that.

Well that sours my opinion of Ian Hislop
He/Him/His Image

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:17 pm UTC

HES wrote:
markfiend wrote:OTOH the Eye also kept plugging the MMR/Autism link long after it was discredited, so there's that.

Well that sours my opinion of Ian Hislop

It was more Phil Hammond's fault than Hislop's really. He had the good grace to admit he got it wrong... eventually.

see wikipedia
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:13 pm UTC

Reka wrote:I beg to differ about the carrying people part: the eagles carried people in both LotR and The Hobbit.

depends if people=humans, wizards, dwarves and hobbits are not human.
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:19 pm UTC

Would/could they carry Soylent Green, though?

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:27 pm UTC

@My evil mirror universe twin

"People" is pretty broad, and covers basically anything with agency.

The fellowship of the ring consisted of ten people: one wizard, one elf, one dwarf, two humans, four hobbits, and one S corp (Most adventuring parties are S corps).
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:17 am UTC

david.windsor wrote:
Reka wrote:I beg to differ about the carrying people part: the eagles carried people in both LotR and The Hobbit.

Well, Wizards and Dwarves aren't. The lore is less clear about Hobbits - whether or not Hobbits are human does depend on your definition of human - they're probably a different species, but they're believed to share ancestry with the Big People, unlike Dwarves, Elves, Wizards, Ents, Orcs, and just about every other sentient on Middle Earth... So, still genus homo, even if they may not be homo sapiens.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:32 am UTC

I thought this was settled? Hobbits are Homo floresiensis.

What they were doing in prehistoric England is anyone's guess, though. I guess Tolkien can be forgiven the anthropological ignorance of his time.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:13 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
david.windsor wrote:

Well, Wizards and Dwarves aren't. The lore is less clear about Hobbits - whether or not Hobbits are human does depend on your definition of human - they're probably a different species, but they're believed to share ancestry with the Big People, unlike Dwarves, Elves, Wizards, Ents, Orcs, and just about every other sentient on Middle Earth... So, still genus homo, even if they may not be homo sapiens.

But elves and humans can produce children together. They must have enough dna similarities to do that.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Netreker0

Postby Netreker0 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:47 am UTC

sonar1313 wrote:
Netreker0 wrote:
Also, if you're really concerned about attacks like the U.S.S. Cole bombing, you should lobby for a real replacement or a substantial refit for the Arleigh Burke class destroyer. I don't recall if people in this forum in particular were like this, but I find that a lot of sciencey type people and military nerds were way too enamored with the Zumwalt prototype destroyer.

I think the immigration polices actually would have prevented the Lockerbie bombing, since that was a US bound plane belonging to a US airline. They wouldn't have been allowed to board.

That is a fair point, though I'm not 100% sure how true it is. I vaguely remember that back then, when information systems and infrastructure weren't quite what they are today, a lot of immigration control was done at the destination, where they checked your papers (or in some countries, applied for your visa) and if for whatever reason things didn't work out, they'd detain you at customs until you could see yourself out. Of course, I have no idea of that's how the U.S. worked at the time, and no clue how to check other than asking someone who was old enough to be handling his own passport back then.

Oh, also: I think the A-B destroyer is easily the most capable warship in our arsenal right now. There's a good reason the LCS's and Zumwalts are riddled with political sniping while the Navy just keeps on trucking building dozens of Burkes. Trying to design a ship against all manner of threats is a fool's errand - it's a multi-billion dollar investment. At some point you have to look at your force protection procedures as well, which the Navy has long since done and hasn't had an issue since.

Oh, I agree. But I am very concerned that the money being spent on developing new ships without any real direction (though as a nerd I do appreciate the Zumwalt as a very cool demonstration platform for some very cool technologies) necessarily means diverting resources that could be used to make sure this remains the case.

Geekoid

Postby Geekoid » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:44 pm UTC

jello34543 wrote:I was going to take issue with "Capable of intentionally releasing poop mid-flight" being no for planes, but the wikipedia article for blue ice says planes can't do so deliberately, and I'm not going to go searching for a more authoritative source at work.

Also, TIL that you can poop a 727 out of the sky. Granted, you would be on it, so this may not be the ideal plan for "greatest practical joke ever"

Worlds greatest practical joking terrorist.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:12 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
david.windsor wrote:

But elves and humans can produce children together. They must have enough dna similarities to do that.

Elves and Maiar can also have children together, and I'm pretty sure that beings who existed before the universe don't share ancestry with humans, whatever genetic compatibility they may have by design.

Muswell

Postby Muswell » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:15 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
Netreker0 wrote:If you think a bird can't take a punch, you clearly haven't spent time in Australia.

I hit a Canada goose with a line-drive golf ball once. (His fault for sitting on the edge of a water hazard when I was golfing; he really should have known.) Square in the middle of his back. Didn't flinch, didn't stand up, didn't unfurl his wings... just turned his head around a second or two later to see what was going on. Feathers are armor, especially on waterfowl.

I once, while coxing an Eight on the Upper Thames, rounded a blind corner and proceeded to hit a swan in the neck with bow's oar. Swan's head went down, came up, neck was hit by 3's oar. Down, up, 5's oar. Down, up, 7's oar. Down, up, swan's head is now level with my face and rapidly approaching.

The spontaneous 500 metre sprint that my Stroke man initiated so that they wouldn't have to find someone else to cox them because I had no eyeballs left was one of the best pieces of rowing that crew ever did...

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:18 pm UTC

And I thought the problem was when you caught a crab... ;)

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:07 am UTC

I take issue with Superman not having a tick for "often flies in groups":

Spoiler:

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:23 pm UTC

Various Varieties wrote:I take issue with Superman not having a tick for "often flies in groups":

Spoiler:

Yeah.....but not in groups with other Supermans.

StCredZero

Postby StCredZero » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:42 pm UTC

Superman, as portrayed in various Justice League animated shows, is often seen flying in groups of superheroes.

Also, we can fix most of the others:

• Uses magnetic navigation - Give Superman a compass
  • Preyed on by cats - In the Silver Age superman continuity: "convergent evolution led to the emergence of analogous species to Terran cats..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krypto#The_original_Krypto
  • Eaten during seasonal feasts - Do cookie and candy facsimiles count?
  • Propelled by Flapping - Give him an orinthopter harness. Unlike ordinary humans, he has a high enough power/weight ratio.

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:47 pm UTC

StCredZero wrote:Superman, as portrayed in various Justice League animated shows, is often seen flying in groups of superheroes.

Yeah, but that would be like a flock of birds consisting of a goose, a duck, a swan, a robin, a blue jay, a mockingbird, etc.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:17 pm UTC

Spoiler:

noskis

Postby noskis » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:27 pm UTC

HI Randall,

I regret to inform you that planes are capable of - and do - intentionally release poop mid-flight. Tiger Air TR2154 25 Dec 2016 departing Singapore with 75% full blackwater tank, but arrived in Phuket with 25% full blackwater tank. I like to think that I would have noticed a taxi-way honey truck or flying tanker that emptied the blackwater tank.......

eeeeeeeewwwwwwww.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:24 am UTC

sonar1313 wrote:
Various Varieties wrote:I take issue with Superman not having a tick for "often flies in groups":

Spoiler:

Yeah.....but not in groups with other Supermans.

Here is Superman floating with a group of other Supermen (Supermans? Supersman?)

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:00 pm UTC

....Dafuq did I just read?
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Cougar Allen

Postby Cougar Allen » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:20 am UTC

sonar1313 wrote:
StCredZero wrote:Superman, as portrayed in various Justice League animated shows, is often seen flying in groups of superheroes.

Yeah, but that would be like a flock of birds consisting of a goose, a duck, a swan, a robin, a blue jay, a mockingbird, etc.

Birds frequently fly (and feed) in mixed species flocks.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:37 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:....Dafuq did I just read?

Do not be alarmed. That is a normal reaction to much of Grant Morrison's writing.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:32 pm UTC

I like how the Superman emblem is explicitly a family crest, while the rest of the suit is something he made up, yet his descendants each keep the colors and change the crest....
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

serutan

Postby serutan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:35 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
HES wrote:
wolf99 wrote:Can't believe no-one has mentioned the planes having occasional mid-air sex thing yet!?

How safe is planesex? It looks extremely dodgy to me...

If you've ever watched Dr. Strangelove, you'll know it sounds interesting as well.
For a sentient herbivore, discretion is the only part of valor. - Larry Niven

jello34543

Postby jello34543 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:24 pm UTC

Netreker0 wrote:The linked article doesn't state that the law fined planes which "intentionally" dump their waste--you're the one who keeps adding that word. If you have an additional source of information that justifies your assertion that the law targets "intentional" dumping, please post it.

I realize this is way old, but I haven't been on the fora in a while. I keep inserting the word "intentionally" because that's what Randall wrote in the comic. My comment was always in reference to the comic's assertion that planes are not "capable of intentionally releasing poop mid-flight", and every counterargument posted has failed to address the key word "intentionally" from the comic.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:42 pm UTC

sonar1313 wrote:

Pfft, Robin doesn't fly.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:49 pm UTC

I told you, I'm not Robin. I'm Burt Ward.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

stopmadnessnow

Postby stopmadnessnow » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:11 pm UTC

Or the Ward, Dick Grayson.
For comic writing or short story writing post-haste, contact the off-the peg joke chap. He has the nous.
http://plwimsett.simplesite.com/ for my site.
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01110048bacb43eae6 to hire me at Upwork.

WillingToBeAFool

Postby WillingToBeAFool » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:22 pm UTC

Jason To-

...I'll see myself out.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:50 pm UTC

WillingToBeAFool wrote:Jason To-

...I'll see myself out.

No one said anything about a flying crowbar.

Now I'll see myself out.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:07 am UTC

While I've never been mistaken for Superman (or a plane for that matter) I do run a little superhero thingie on Twitter for writers called #SuperheroSat

Well, when I say "run" it is mostly me talking to myself, but given time, it will grow.

Apologies for the shameless plug.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”