1808: "Hacking"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mikeski

1808: "Hacking"

Postby Mikeski » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:52 am UTC

Title text: "The dump also contains a list of millions of prime factors, a 0-day Tamagotchi exploit, and a technique for getting gcc and bash to execute arbitrary code."

The CIA got wikileaks to redact the part about the tool knowing what to do with the words "at" and "dot". Sinister!

rhomboidal

Re: 1808: "Hacking"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:01 am UTC

No data is safe from the savage, merciless ravages of regex.

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:35 am UTC

They've found out that POKE 35136,0 gets you infinite lives.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 am UTC

"Sudo tell me all your passwords"

itaibn

Postby itaibn » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:44 am UTC

Does gcc have any features that let you run arbitrary code? After all it's a compiler, not an interpreter.
I NEVER use all-caps.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:16 pm UTC

I don't know if the title text is sincere or not but I do know there's a secret CIA emoji file in the vault.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:26 pm UTC

itaibn wrote:Does gcc have any features that let you run arbitrary code? After all it's a compiler, not an interpreter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_metaprogramming

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:33 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:No data is safe from the savage, merciless ravages of regex.

Except for XHTML
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:11 pm UTC

TIL you can have a space in your email address.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:57 pm UTC

itaibn wrote:Does gcc have any features that let you run arbitrary code? After all it's a compiler, not an interpreter.

It really ought to have a switch to execute the output file automatically. Another thing it ought to have is a warning when you're about to overwrite the input source file with the output. That's a favourite trick of mine. It's ok if you get it right first time and don't need to modify it later.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:59 pm UTC

Because it mentions gcc and bash in tandem, I was thinking something simple like:

Code: Select all

$ gcc code.c -o code
$ ./code

Not some way to get just gcc to execute code.
Last edited by pogrmman on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:05 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:TIL you can have a space in your email address.

I too was thinking "huh, a space can be a valid character in an email address?" - but then it occurred to me they probably mean when someone posts their email address somewhere, and writes it "username @ domain.com" to try and avoid any bots harvesting it.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:10 pm UTC

Fun fact: this_is(technically a perfectly valid address)@accordingtotheoriginalspec.com
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:23 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

It really ought to have a switch to execute the output file automatically. Another thing it ought to have is a warning when you're about to overwrite the input source file with the output. That's a favourite trick of mine. It's ok if you get it right first time and don't need to modify it later.

Real Programmers get it right first time.
Or if they don't, it's easier to patch the binary.

Cave Wizard

Postby Cave Wizard » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:26 pm UTC

Anyone got a link to that tamagotchi exploit?

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:34 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

That would be a great switch to have -- what's the first thing most people do after compiling? Run the executable they just made. Why not make it easier?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:37 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:Or if they don't, it's easier to patch the binary.

Damn, I'll never be a real programmer in any modern language. (I'd rather write the whole code again than figure out where the hell that foldl call has gone)

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:03 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

Except for XHTML

<[^<>&="' \t\r\n]+([ \t\r\n]+[^<>&="' \t\r\n]+[ \t\r\n]*=[ \t\r\n]*("[^"]*"|'[^']*'))*[ \t\r\n]*>
(note that this doesn't check that it's valid—there are characters this regular expression allows in names that the spec doesn't allow; it could be modified to check for them, but it would be much longer)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
chridd (on Discord) wrote:
Dummy wrote:Sorry You're Gay Dads
SYG'D
marionic (on Discord) wrote:sleep in grave

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm UTC

chridd wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Except for XHTML

<[^<>&="' \t\r\n]+([ \t\r\n]+[^<>&="' \t\r\n]+[ \t\r\n]*=[ \t\r\n]*("[^"]*"|'[^']*'))*[ \t\r\n]*>
(note that this doesn't check that it's valid—there are characters this regular expression allows in names that the spec doesn't allow; it could be modified to check for them, but it would be much longer)

Note that it merely matches a single start or end tag, no self-closing tags, no escaped quotes inside string attributes, doesn't check for semantic constraints (like not having the same attribute multiple times), does allow < in attribute values, doesn't check for valid &entities; in values and probably lots more (mostly semantics).

Yes, you'd better use an XML parser.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:38 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:

I too was thinking "huh, a space can be a valid character in an email address?" - but then it occurred to me they probably mean when someone posts their email address somewhere, and writes it "username @ domain.com" to try and avoid any bots harvesting it.

Pros use the format username(at)roundaboutreferencetodomain(dot)TLD. Translating the domain name (example: gmail-->gposta) or spelling it phonetically is also common where I live.
—◯-◯

Tub

Postby Tub » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:09 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:That would be a great switch to have -- what's the first thing most people do after compiling? Run the executable they just made. Why not make it easier?

The switch is called

&& ./a.out

and must be appended at the end of the command line. :roll:

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:17 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
chridd wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Except for XHTML

Note that it merely matches a single start or end tag, no self-closing tags, no escaped quotes inside string attributes, doesn't check for semantic constraints (like not having the same attribute multiple times), does allow < in attribute values, doesn't check for valid &entities; in values and probably lots more (mostly semantics).

Yes, you'd better use an XML parser.
(oops, I meant to also exclude /; it's supposed to only match opening tags)
It answers the question that was asked. Given a well-formed XML document, it matches opening tags. The question wasn't asking to validate the document or check for well-formedness. Most of the time, validating the document isn't what people want to do; they want to extract data from a document given the assumption that it's valid. You can extract data from an XML/XHTML/HTML document in a known format with regular expressions. You can find tags in an XML/XHTML/HTML document with regular expressions. You can parse or validate an XML/XHTML/HTML document with the a combination of regular expressions and other code. You can't write a single regular expression that matches valid or well-formed documents and rejects others, but that's okay, because no one's trying to do that in the first place. (The main thing that you can't do that someone might want to do is make a regular expression that matches an entire element that might include nested elements of the same type.)
(Also there needs to be some additional processing to deal with comments and CDATA sections; but that can be done with regular expressions as well. Also, this doesn't necessarily mean that using regular expressions is a better idea than using a parser; that depends more on what one is trying to do and what tools are most readily available.)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
chridd (on Discord) wrote:
Dummy wrote:Sorry You're Gay Dads
SYG'D
marionic (on Discord) wrote:sleep in grave

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:29 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
Mutex wrote:

Pros use the format username(at)roundaboutreferencetodomain(dot)TLD. Translating the domain name (example: gmail-->gposta) or spelling it phonetically is also common where I live.

Here's one I use often lately, especially when the checkout clerk at the retail stores ask "what's your email?"

nunna@your.biz

Harvest that one all you want!! :mrgreen:
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:24 pm UTC

invalid@invalid.invalid should work, if you want to legitimately fake a dead-end without then risking landing on a real account. Unless the validation script is actually designed1 to reject that mandated usable-but-GNDN TLD.

Skip straight to <inserttopicaljokehere>@whitehouse.gov, though, if I'm feeling like it and not too worried about a semi-formal memo to the NSA to backtrack my identity... ;)

1 And not so stupid as to reject even stuff like my legitimate ".me.uk" domain, which would normally make me change that to ".me.uk.com" and let someone else (and the "uk.com" domain owner) deal with the fallout of their limited knowledge of secondary-level UK domains.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:06 am UTC

Tub wrote:
pogrmman wrote:That would be a great switch to have -- what's the first thing most people do after compiling? Run the executable they just made. Why not make it easier?

The switch is called

&& ./a.out

Of course I know that -- but it's still much, much more to type than a switch like whatever.

jgh

Postby jgh » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:33 am UTC

My email address on my CV is an image, which results in CV assessment services complaining there's no email address in my CV.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:16 am UTC

Actually, the first thing I do after compiling is usually linking. So, if anything, it should be a switch to ld. :P

But the next thing I usually do after compiling and linking (which I usually spell "make" or "cmake" or something like that), is run something like "make test".
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:32 am UTC

pogrmman wrote:
Tub wrote:

The switch is called

&& ./a.out

Of course I know that -- but it's still much, much more to type than a switch like whatever.

Say you want -R to be the switch to run after compiling. Just append the line -R = && ./a.out to /etc/profile
Problem solved, right?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Tub

Postby Tub » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:45 am UTC

xtifr wrote:Actually, the first thing I do after compiling is usually linking.

Really? The first thing I do after compiling is to fix all the typos that caused the compilation to fail.

If only gcc had a switch to automatically run that step.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:21 am UTC

xtifr wrote:But the next thing I usually do after compiling and linking (which I usually spell "make" or "cmake" or something like that), is run something like "make test".

Configure gcc to launch gdb straight after compiling and linking - we all know it won't be working right, might as well save some typing.

spilk

Postby spilk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:27 pm UTC

Cave Wizard wrote:Anyone got a link to that tamagotchi exploit?

This was something I wanted to look into. I will do some digging and get back to you if I find something. Anyone else care to weigh in?

Geitda

Postby Geitda » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:10 pm UTC

I created an account here just to share, but new users can't post links, so you'll have to find it yourself.
Search for PoC || GTFO issues 0x02 and 0x04.
PoC || GTFO describes itself as,
A friendly little collection of articles for ladies and gentlemen of distinguished ability and taste in the field of software exploitation and the worship of weird machines.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:54 pm UTC

Geitda wrote:

I created an account here just to share, but new users can't post links, so you'll have to find it yourself.
Search for PoC || GTFO issues 0x02 and 0x04.
PoC || GTFO describes itself as,
A friendly little collection of articles for ladies and gentlemen of distinguished ability and taste in the field of software exploitation and the worship of weird machines.

Wow...thank you very much for bringing that to my attention. That little publication seems utterly delighftul. I forsee much enjoyment reading the backlog. Looking at the description of issue 1, sec 4, I'm lead to the inevitable joke: weren't the hats secretly green?
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”