1814: "Color Pattern"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thunk

1814: "Color Pattern"

Postby thunk » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:20 pm UTC

Alt-text: ♫ When the spacing is tight / And the difference is slight / That's a moiré ♫

The music notes showed up as mojibake on my system.
I remember some good old mojibake from the computer games my family brought from Russia. I guess Skalniacy Adventures has those too? WIth extra moiré boss battles.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Jorpho

Re: 1814: "Color Pattern"

Postby Jorpho » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:39 pm UTC

Well, geez, all this time I've been pronouncing it "mwar".

And yes, the title text is messed up here in Windows 7 with both Firefox and Chrome – both the music notes and the accented "e". Internet Explorer 11 fares slightly better in that it manages to come up with Chinese characters somehow.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:43 pm UTC

This is properly funny. I almost actually lolled out loud.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Divinius

Postby Divinius » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:47 pm UTC

I did actually laugh out loud. And I'm probably going to have these lyrics stuck in my head for life now.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:50 pm UTC

If anyone isn't sure what a moiré is, here's a picture illustrating it:
Spoiler:

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:56 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:If anyone isn't sure what a moiré is, here's a picture illustrating it:
Spoiler:

That pun is sickening. It actually made me eel.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:02 pm UTC

Coincidence?
https://phys.org/news/2017-03-moire-sup ... ymers.html

With links to full article entitled "Preferential Alignment of Incommensurate Block Copolymer Dot Arrays Forming Moiré Superstructures"

That should get the song out of your head! :wink:
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:07 pm UTC

As a non-native speaker, I would like to know what is the song this is a reference to.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:12 pm UTC

Hiferator wrote:As a non-native speaker, I would like to know what is the song this is a reference to.

It's an American(-Italian) 1950s Vegas-ish crooner thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69O4PXzAQ5Y

(And legitimate Wikipedia In-Popular-Culturising possible for someone here, if someone wants to do it.)

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:18 pm UTC

As a member in good standing of the Anti-Pun Enforcement League, my reaction to this comic is THWACK! THWACK THWACK THWACK THWACK THWACK! Bad Randall, no cookie.

That is all, carry on.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:19 pm UTC

Apparently Randall is not above stealing jokes from his own IRC channel. :P
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:22 pm UTC

Spider Robinson did a lot of That's Amore puns in his book the Callahan Touch, I'm quite surprised that a search didn't get the lyrics. And yep, I came close to laughing out loud.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:22 pm UTC

He stole this from a more common knockoff of "Amore," which goes something like

When you swim by the reef,
and see a snake with big teeth,
that's a moray.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Thirsting

Postby Thirsting » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:26 pm UTC

I can see the rainbow with my bare eyes! Oh wait no, that's just the migraine aura again... please kill meeee

CelticNot

Postby CelticNot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:28 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:Apparently Randall is not above stealing jokes from his own IRC channel. :P

TIL xkcd has its own equivalent to bash.org. I am howling (with laughter).
This sig for rent. Rates negotiable.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:46 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:If anyone isn't sure what a moiré is, here's a picture illustrating it:
Spoiler:

When a fish bites your heel and it feels like an eel...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

rhhardin

Postby rhhardin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:49 pm UTC

Digital cameras have an anti-aliasing screen which prevents that, by smearing light over more than one pixel. Otherwise pictures of house sidings and chain link fences would always give those odd patterns (which regular film, with random grains, does not suffer from).

The smearing unfocusses the image so the taking is followed by a software sharpening step, which looks for edges to sharpen. That sharpening is the most noticeabls effect of a digital photo as it doesn't get the edge conditions quite right as to color and texture.

poslfit

Postby poslfit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

The rollover text is not appearing correctly in many browsers (at least Google Chrome and Safari on OS/X) because it's entered into the source as raw binary, and Randall has not specified a <meta charset="whatever"> tag.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:26 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:He stole this from a more common knockoff of "Amore," which goes something like

When you swim by the reef,
and see a snake with big teeth,
that's a moray.

I thought, when I posted my eel, that divers and marine biologists probably had a version of this already. Nevertheless, Randall's take on it is clever, geeky and scans perfectly.

One of the biggest problems with the Internet is that not only do you suspect that anything you come up with is unoriginal, but the tools to confirm this are just a click away. You just have to not check, otherwise you'd end up never posting anything.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:21 pm UTC

I'm certain I've heard this joke before somewhere. I've gotten into the habit of Googling every one-liner puns I think of so I can see how many million times it's already been done, and keeping a list of the number of results for each. I've gotten lucky enough to find a few zeroes, but that wasn't one of 'em. Although I could swear I remembered a better set of lyrics than the ones this turned up just now.

Soupspoon wrote:(And legitimate Wikipedia In-Popular-Culturising possible for someone here, if someone wants to do it.)

Hmm. No mention of the Sesame Street song "That's Peligro" or the theme from Goodfeathers. Dare I be That Guy, or are they liable to refert my edit for lack of citation even though nothing currently on the list has any?
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:51 pm UTC

Hiferator wrote:As a non-native speaker, I would like to know what is the song this is a reference to.

As a reader of foreign comics, cultural references are the bane of my existence. So I try to spend little time in that particular form.
—◯-◯

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:17 pm UTC

CelticNot wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Apparently Randall is not above stealing jokes from his own IRC channel. :P

TIL xkcd has its own equivalent to bash.org. I am howling (with laughter).

xkcdb wrote:

Code: Select all

<Mieulium> does anyone know what is the website with hilarious irc chat logs?
<Random832> Mieulium: xkcdb.com
<smokey> xkcdb
<genewitch> xkcdb.com
<Burstaholic> what, bash.org?
<@snark> xkcdb.com
* Burstaholic was kicked by snark (C-C-COMBO-BREAKER)
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

J%r

Postby J%r » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:21 pm UTC

Who takes screenshots using a camera anyway? Or do they think the 'print screen' button would make their screen print on a printer?

capngwyn

Postby capngwyn » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:32 pm UTC

When you swim in a creek
and an eel bites your cheek
it's a moray...

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:21 pm UTC

J%r wrote:Who takes screenshots using a camera anyway? Or do they think the 'print screen' button would make their screen print on a printer?

Doesn't work on various boot-sequence failures, BSODs and the like. Nor can it show dead pixels or other monitor-end problems/cable-interference/video card failure modes. Or if even MSPaint is crashing on launch (the worm you just removed had rehooked .exes through its now absent self), screenshot to paste buffer doesn't help one jot. And when the problem computer is having networking problems (or just isn't networked) and you're asking a forum via your smartphone browser, it might be easier to take a photo on the latter than to screenshot then work out if you can plug your USB drive into the smartphone or temporarily switch your phone's memory card into the computer, to transfer the file...

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:29 pm UTC

capngwyn wrote:When you swim in a creek
it's a moray...

Here in the upper midwest USA, that word is sometimes pronounced "crick".
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm UTC

And an eel bites your chick?
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:01 pm UTC

also morays are saltwater fish so wouldn't be found in creeks of either pronunciation
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:29 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:also morays are saltwater fish so wouldn't be found in creeks of either pronunciation

Wikipedia disagrees with you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnothorax_polyuranodon

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
J%r wrote:Who takes screenshots using a camera anyway? Or do they think the 'print screen' button would make their screen print on a printer?

Doesn't work on various boot-sequence failures, BSODs and the like. Nor can it show dead pixels or other monitor-end problems/cable-interference/video card failure modes. Or if even MSPaint is crashing on launch (the worm you just removed had rehooked .exes through its now absent self), screenshot to paste buffer doesn't help one jot. And when the problem computer is having networking problems (or just isn't networked) and you're asking a forum via your smartphone browser, it might be easier to take a photo on the latter than to screenshot then work out if you can plug your USB drive into the smartphone or temporarily switch your phone's memory card into the computer, to transfer the file...

HEH, the number of times I've taken a digicam shot of a bluescreen, boot, login, or imaging error for my old job is very highly amusing. 'Lotta shots of service stickers for boxes and printers, too.

Edit: Shart, I've even taken video of things that were flashing by too quick to get a picture of, so I could dig the info out of the frames and add it to whatever support case was involved.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:05 pm UTC

it's a moray...

Nah probably not. Morays are salt-water fish, and only make brief forays into brackish or fresh water looking for prey.

Actually, I was curious, and decided to look this up. I did find references to "fresh-water morays" that are sold in pet stores. But the ones about "how to care for your ..." fish mentioned that the few moray species that are occasionally caught in fresh water (and thus sold as fresh-water fish in the pet trade) usually only live a few weeks before dying from parasites or starvation due to their weakened condition in water without salt. The writers clearly consider this to be something wrong with the pet-store trade, and warn readers not to fall for it.

But it is actually a slight possibility that a moray may nip you before deciding that you're too big to kill and eat. It'd probably be in a creek that's fairly close to salt water. So, as with a lot of politicians' claims, the above lyrics aren't entirely wrong. But the thing that bit you is much more likely to be a true fresh-water fish than any sort of moray.

(Yeah, I know; picky, picky ...;-)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:14 pm UTC

jc wrote:
it's a moray...

Nah probably not. Morays are salt-water fish, and only make brief forays into brackish or fresh water looking for prey.
When you swim in the sea
and an eel bites your knee
that's a moray...

Eoink wrote:Spider Robinson did a lot of That's Amore puns in his book the Callahan Touch, I'm quite surprised that a search didn't get the lyrics. And yep, I came close to laughing out loud.

Oh, found it.
http://www.elorasoap.com/karensloop/puns.html

Some more ripe material at https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/eel-and-wo ... s/76438/31 .

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:38 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:also morays are saltwater fish so wouldn't be found in creeks of either pronunciation

There are arguably features that I would recognise by the term 'creek' in the intertidal/supertidal parts of salt marshes and deltas...

But that seems to be a contentious point in the anglosphere...

creek
/kriːk/
noun

BRITISH: a narrow, sheltered waterway, especially an inlet in a shoreline or channel in a marsh.
"a sandy beach in a sheltered creek"
synonyms: tidal inlet, inlet, arm of the sea, estuary, bay, bight, fjord, gulf, sound; More

NORTH AMERICANAUSTRALIAN/NZ: a stream or minor tributary of a river.
"he drove into Adam's Creek"
synonyms: stream, rivulet, brook, river, tributary, backwater

(I seem to tend to think in terms of the former, without any context, but the barest hint that it's being said by a colonial, and I'll think of it as an inland-only gill, streamlet or natural ditch, smaller/slower than a 'proper' river but possibly still needing a fortuitously fallen tree trunk to cross...)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:45 am UTC

Please use Dutch vocabulary when talking about water and shipwright things.
A kreek (creek) is a narrow body of water that has no/barely* a connection to the sea. Note that creek in the sense of a tidal creek can range anywhere from priel to inham to fjord to getijdengeul.
A beek (creek) is a stream of water smaller than a river (and according to wikipedia you must be able to wade through it everywhere for it to be classified a beek).

Anyway, as Krealr mentioned already, some morays live in brackish and fresh water.

*Dammit, some sources define it as formerly connected to the sea, some as connected to the sea. This undermines the idea of Dutch as the marine language.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:21 am UTC

Looks like the hover text got fixed at some point. We may rest easy knowing that unicode support for title text is not broken.

wayne

Postby wayne » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:34 am UTC

A New Zealander man
With tattoos and a tan...

That's a Maori...

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:11 am UTC

This is all very well, but we aren't getting any closer to answering the big question that's on all our minds: is a pizza, or isn't it, a type of pie?

niky

Postby niky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 am UTC

When you walk through the wood
Picking 'shrooms that taste good
That's a morel

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:18 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Well, geez, all this time I've been pronouncing it "mwar".

There will be lots of confused XKCD fans pronouncing it wrong after reading this strip.
Unless it is one of those words that you pronounce differently in America, even though it is French.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:20 am UTC

Wee Red Bird wrote:Unless it is one of those words that you pronounce differently in America, even though it is French.

Wikipedia suggests they do, although they don't go as far as going silent on the <é>:

/mwɑːrˈeɪ/; French: [mwaˈʁe]

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”