1823: "Hottest Editors"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sfmans

Re: 1823: "Hottest Editors"

Postby sfmans » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:27 pm UTC

speising wrote:What made me really mad about N++ is that by default, it doesn't warn you if you close it with a changed document open that is still unsaved. Of course, it will open it on its next start again, with your edits.
But that doesn't help you a lot if you expect those scripts you just wrote to work.

Rather than just powering the machine down at the wall have you you tried
File >> Close,
the window close icon, or
Alt/F4?

All of those (apart from the wall-switch one) warn me about unsaved files in N++.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:08 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:To be clear, since there always seems to be a lucky-10,000-aire on this, gedit is also available on Windows, but I can see why it wouldn't place in this ranking!

Well, you're spot on that I didn't know this. However, should anyone know this? :P

Soupspoon wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:What about inserting grep into your eyes?

Force grep, then let it stand... you get WINE...

Force grep and you'll be writhing in pain, probably because it's not standard input.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:02 pm UTC

sfmans wrote:
speising wrote:What made me really mad about N++ is that by default, it doesn't warn you if you close it with a changed document open that is still unsaved. Of course, it will open it on its next start again, with your edits.
But that doesn't help you a lot if you expect those scripts you just wrote to work.

Rather than just powering the machine down at the wall have you you tried
File >> Close,
the window close icon, or
Alt/F4?

All of those (apart from the wall-switch one) warn me about unsaved files in N++.

Well they didn't for me, until i changed some option from the default.

deskjethp

Postby deskjethp » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:38 pm UTC

Good:
Notepad++

Regular, perfectly functional, okay to use: Sublime, Notepad, nano, pico, gedit, mined (mined is weird)

No:
Vi
Last edited by deskjethp on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
arbivark wrote:when i was first a tenant at 19, i was probably a nuisance .. a bother, to the landlord because i'd do stuff like, hey there's a fireplace here, get me a hammer, hey if i make a hole in my ceiling there's an attic that runs the length of the rowhouses.

jello34543

Postby jello34543 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:40 pm UTC

Liri wrote:Using it to insert gfp into your eyes is still a ways off.

Inserting mCherry seems more entertaining to me. Sadly, I suspect either would significantly interfere with overall vision.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:47 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:To be clear, since there always seems to be a lucky-10,000-aire on this, gedit is also available on Windows, but I can see why it wouldn't place in this ranking!

Well, you're spot on that I didn't know this. However, should anyone know this? :P

For people like me who are the apparent target audience for gedit, I.e. people who don't need a text editor, sure. I use it on Windows in place of Notepad. It's if you're using it in place of Notepad++ that you're doing it wrong.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:32 pm UTC

I haven't really looked at it much in a few years, but I had the impression that gedit was turing-complete, so it should be able to do pretty much anything any other fully-featured editor can do. It's just a Simple Matter™ of writing the appropriate macros...

But still, of all of the listed editors, only emacs offers org-mode, which is so useful that even some vim users use emacs just for that one feature. And we all know that nobody hates emacs more than vi(m) users. :) (Fortunately for them, emacs can either emulate vi or run actual vim in a window as a subprocess.)

There's also magit for emacs, which is, bar none, the best git porcelain.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:10 am UTC

jello34543 wrote:
Liri wrote:Using it to insert gfp into your eyes is still a ways off.

Inserting mCherry seems more entertaining to me. Sadly, I suspect either would significantly interfere with overall vision.

I'm not sure if I'd like either, I don't want phototoxicity in my non-regenerating central nervous system cells. Although it would be nice if you could add a FRET-donor with far UV absorption to your rhodopsin.

Mike Rosoft

Postby Mike Rosoft » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:14 am UTC

Well, this. Notepad++ autosaves the file you are editing to temporary files. When you close the applicaction, every other editor asks whether or not you want to save the file; Notepad++ instead silently saves the file to a temporary file, and when you edit the file again, it reloads the changed temporary file. (Effectively, it *pretends* to save the file when in reality the file is unchanged.) I tried to get Notepad++ to work as expected (it came pre-installed on my work laptop), found out that the only way was to disable the autosave completely (which is a useful feature on its own), so I installed PSPad instead.

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:46 am UTC

Mike Rosoft wrote:

Well, this. Notepad++ autosaves the file you are editing to temporary files. When you close the applicaction, every other editor asks whether or not you want to save the file; Notepad++ instead silently saves the file to a temporary file, and when you edit the file again, it reloads the changed temporary file. (Effectively, it *pretends* to save the file when in reality the file is unchanged.) I tried to get Notepad++ to work as expected (it came pre-installed on my work laptop), found out that the only way was to disable the autosave completely (which is a useful feature on its own), so I installed PSPad instead.

My initial response to speising came out more aggressive and less :) than intended, so apols for that; but I really don't recognise the behaviour either of you describe on N++ and I'm pretty sure I've not twerked any settings in that area. Odd.

speising

Postby speising » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:36 pm UTC

sfmans wrote:
Mike Rosoft wrote:

My initial response to speising came out more aggressive and less :) than intended, so apols for that; but I really don't recognise the behaviour either of you describe on N++ and I'm pretty sure I've not twerked any settings in that area. Odd.

That's what you get from using ancient versions.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:20 pm UTC

Was it "enabled by default" for people who updated from earlier versions? Because I don't recall disabling session saves and yet it is. (though it is likely I forgot I did, because I don't want all those old files to pop up when starting np++ —they're under recent files anyway)

flowb

Postby flowb » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:26 am UTC

pretty sure that package control has a CRISPR plugin for Sublime Text... just saying.

Nojim

Postby Nojim » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:11 pm UTC

Am I the only one that uses JOE?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:21 pm UTC

Google search tells me that this is an obscure Linux-based text editor meant to bring the functionality of Emacs to the interface of Wordstar, a text editor that is as old as Emacs, but died in the 80s.

Yes, yes you may indeed be the only one using that.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

speising

Postby speising » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:00 am UTC

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”