1824: "Identification Chart"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

wagga

1824: "Identification Chart"

Postby wagga » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:04 am UTC

Title text:
Be careful—it's breeding season, and some of these can be *extremely* defensive of their nests.

Wedgetail - most lethal 737 -you probably think it flies inverted down under.

Fixed for first post formatting issues. Can people please make sure that it contains:
link to image (can be embedded in image)
title text
Last edited by Angua on Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Re: 1824: Identification Chart

Postby bachaddict » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:06 am UTC

Where's the Warthog? It hits harder than any of these!

BTW you want this in your post:

Title text:
Be careful—it's breeding season, and some of these can be *extremely* defensive of their nests.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:15 am UTC

This reminds me of Roger Dean's cover for the Budgie album Squawk.

Dean cannibalised a model aircraft and grafted an actual bird's skull onto the front, and then set out to photograph it, but couldn't get the focal depth required, so ended up doing a painting of his model.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:27 am UTC

I have a real passion for birdwatching -- with my early-warning surveillance radar array.

wagga

Postby wagga » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:29 am UTC

Warthogs don't fly. The A10 is simply a mobility appliance for The Gun.

treblemaker

Postby treblemaker » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:49 am UTC

They all look like weather balloons to me.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:15 am UTC

wagga wrote:Warthogs don't fly. The A10 is simply a mobility appliance for The Gun.

How did the A-10 get designed?

The Air Force said "Take one of these":

"Next, make us a gun that will fire about 4200 of them per minute":

"Now, build us an airplane around it":

And there you have it.

Mike Rosoft

Postby Mike Rosoft » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:31 am UTC

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:37 am UTC

Now do the P-51 Mustang or the Vicars Vickers Wellington... ;)

Cygnwulf

Postby Cygnwulf » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:53 pm UTC

The only problem with Warthogs and mustangs and such is that they don't have their own wings to replace the wings on an aircraft of the same name.

That said, I think I need a poster of this.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:54 pm UTC

Cygnwulf wrote:The only problem with Warthogs and mustangs and such is that they don't have their own wings

Even without context, this is true.
any pronouns (mainly she/he)
----
----
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)
Spoiler:
Weeks wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Maybe I am a female Justin Bieber!
Justine Bieber. Alternatively, Miley Cyrus.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:07 pm UTC

Hornet (Hudson), Falcon (Ford), Eagle (AMC), Hawk (Studebaker). How many do you remember?

DennyMo

Postby DennyMo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:08 pm UTC

I'll need to update this chart. :)
US Military Aircraft Identification Training.png

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:25 pm UTC

Cygnwulf wrote:The only problem with Warthogs and mustangs and such is that they don't have their own wings to replace the wings on an aircraft of the same name.
I note with interest and looming anticipation that you didn't explictly diss the idea of the Wellington... :P

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:30 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Cygnwulf wrote:The only problem with Warthogs and mustangs and such is that they don't have their own wings to replace the wings on an aircraft of the same name.
I note with interest and looming anticipation that you didn't explictly diss the idea of the Wellington... :P

Randall was going to include the Wellington but it got the boot.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

richP

Postby richP » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:45 pm UTC

What about Puff the magic dragon?

Reka

Postby Reka » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:58 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Randall was going to include the Wellington but it got the boot.

THWACK!!!

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:17 pm UTC

qvxb wrote:Hornet (Hudson), Falcon (Ford), Eagle (AMC), Hawk (Studebaker). How many do you remember?

My parents actually had a Ford Falcon, starting around 1966.

I always thought Ford missed a bet not bringing out a retro edition for Y2K. Who wouldn't want to own their very own Millennium Falcon?

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:30 pm UTC

DennyMo wrote:I'll need to update this chart. :)
US Military Aircraft Identification Training.png

Note that Robert Heinlein repeatedly mentioned Samuel Renshaw's work (mostly in Citizen of the Galaxy, but also in Friday with a cameo in Stranger in a Strange Land and a few more). As far as I know, the only practical aspect was helping ID "friend or foe" aircraft visually. Presumably this was declassified (and the charts updated) since anti-aircraft gunners couldn't visually ID jets before it was too late. There was supposed to be a followup paper (no idea how common such wording was in the 1940s, certainly funding issues were wildly different) but I never saw anything (so could be null data or military censorship, can't tell).

Then vs. now:
Time to look this up in a large library (McKeldin Library, University of Maryland). ~1 hour [before internet search engines]
Time to confirm this at an even bigger one (Library of Congress, Washington DC) ~all day [before the green [subway] line]
Time to check if I missed anything with google ~ 1 minute [nowadays]

In other related weirdness, in junior high we had a somewhat irregular class mixed with our shop class were we were in some sort of speed-reading training. Basically a whole class of (not academically sorted) boys watched a filmstrip that only showed a word at a time as it opened a narrow window from left to right. After all that "training", we still could always read faster/better if the strip showed an entire line at a time. No idea if they tried training the next class with the "line at a time" method or just gave up. I haven't heard of many people getting the same training.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:43 pm UTC

wumpus wrote:In other related weirdness, in junior high we had a somewhat irregular class mixed with our shop class were we were in some sort of speed-reading training. Basically a whole class of (not academically sorted) boys watched a filmstrip that only showed a word at a time as it opened a narrow window from left to right. After all that "training", we still could always read faster/better if the strip showed an entire line at a time. No idea if they tried training the next class with the "line at a time" method or just gave up. I haven't heard of many people getting the same training.

I was forced to go thru that same alleged tool for improved reading. At the time I complained to the (English class) teacher that not being able to read a full line at a time was painful. Some of the junk "educators" come up with is just plain amazing for its stupidity.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

squall_line

Postby squall_line » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:45 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:Where's the Warthog? It hits harder than any of these!

BTW you want this in your post:
Spoiler:
Title text:

You probably also want

Code: Select all

[url=https://xkcd.com/1824/][/url]
in there somewhere, either on its own: https://xkcd.com/1824/ or, preferably, wrapped around the image: Image

Assuming that you want to get within the ballpark of the Rules for 'Individual XKCD Comic Threads, of course.

YMMV.

In other news, I think I may have preferred to see the outline of the props on the tilt-rotors of the Osprey.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:36 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
wumpus wrote:In other related weirdness, ... After all that "training", we still could always read faster/better if the strip showed an entire line at a time. No idea if they tried training the next class with the "line at a time" method or just gave up. I haven't heard of many people getting the same training.

I was forced to go thru that same alleged tool for improved reading. At the time I complained to the (English class) teacher that not being able to read a full line at a time was painful. Some of the junk "educators" come up with is just plain amazing for its stupidity.

I remember reading a number of articles back in the 60s and 70s about the history of the newspaper industry. One thing often mentioned was that they developed their rather narrow column width (supposedly back in the 1800s) by doing experiments to determine a width (at arm's length) that the majority of readers could understand without scanning their eyes left and right. The width chosen allowed most readers to just aim at the middle of the column, scan vertically, and understand all the text in each line. This gave the fastest reading times. So for modern educators to use a word-at-a-time left-to-right scan approach would seem to indicate ignorance of some reading "technology" that isn't exactly modern. ;-)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:37 am UTC

squall_line wrote:In other news, I think I may have preferred to see the outline of the props on the tilt-rotors of the Osprey.
The lack of the pegasus-engine vector nozzles in the Harrier bothered me, given the actual (non)coverage of the avian wings on the (sort of) AV-8A silhouette. But that's from memory, so maybe they are more flush.

McBee

Postby McBee » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:07 am UTC

For warthogs, mustangs and so on, maybe just do it backwards - use the plane's wings on the animal body.

I would've love to see the Aardvark...

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:35 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
wumpus wrote:In other related weirdness, in junior high we had a somewhat irregular class mixed with our shop class were we were in some sort of speed-reading training. Basically a whole class of (not academically sorted) boys watched a filmstrip that only showed a word at a time as it opened a narrow window from left to right. After all that "training", we still could always read faster/better if the strip showed an entire line at a time. No idea if they tried training the next class with the "line at a time" method or just gave up. I haven't heard of many people getting the same training.

Yeah, word-boundaries aren't the best place to break things up - compound nouns, adjectival and adverbial phrases, etc, all argue for longer units as the basic unit of sense, rather than putting a break after every space, while many longer words are themselves compounds that could reasonably be broken up into their component parts...

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:46 pm UTC

Things I Learned Today:
RAGBRAIvet wrote:Image

The A-10's gun can belch out so much smoke, it can make the engines flame out. To prevent this from happening, the engines' igniters are automatically turned on when the gun is fired.

Awesome. 8-)

peteispo

Re: 1824: "Identification Chart"

Postby peteispo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:48 am UTC

Kestrel could have the same outline as Harrier - the prototype for the Harrier was the P.1127 Kestrel...
We could also include Gannet (UK Royal Navy torpedo bomber), Merlin (Navy helicopter) and Raven (electronic-countermeasures variant of the FB111)

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue May 02, 2017 8:09 pm UTC

treblemaker wrote:They all look like weather balloons to me.

They all look like mimic octopodes to me.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”