1828: "ISS Solar Transit"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Reka

1828: "ISS Solar Transit"

Postby Reka » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:24 pm UTC

Title text: I guess it's also the right setting for pictures of the Moon at night.

If Cueball is anything like the wannabe-photographers I've known, the ISS will have already made its transit while he's sitting there debating about the white balance. (The 19th century had nothing on my dad when it came to stiff, nonsmiling photos.)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: 1828: "ISS Solar Transit"

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:32 pm UTC

Then Cueball forgets that he's also turned on the "sepia" post-processing effect.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:55 pm UTC

How much you wanna bet there's amateurs all over the place that actually do worry about the balance setting when shooting the sun?

I"m also betting that before I even get this posted, someone will have hacked the comic to make a new selection list along the lines of

direct sun
    direct Alpha Centauri
    direct supernova
    direct warp drive trail
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Velo Steve

Postby Velo Steve » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:01 pm UTC

RAW, no color balance works for me.
Attachments
QuickCrop_4868.jpg

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:18 pm UTC

Velo Steve,

Nice photo. It's a shame Pac-Man yawned.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:24 pm UTC

Velo Steve wrote:RAW, no color balance works for me.

That's no moon...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

speising

Postby speising » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:14 pm UTC

That's a statement along the lines of "I don't have a blood pressure". You can't avoid to have *some* WB setting in your raw developer.

n_dent

Postby n_dent » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:50 pm UTC

Shouldn't the moon be photographed on an indirect sunlight setting?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:52 pm UTC

speising wrote:

That's a statement along the lines of "I don't have a blood pressure". You can't avoid to have *some* WB setting in your raw developer.

Pedants United.jpg

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:01 pm UTC

Ya got some spot's there. You should've wiped it down before you took the photo.
n_dent wrote:Shouldn't the moon be photographed on an indirect sunlight setting?
It's an object getting direct sunlight.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:05 pm UTC

Fixing your photos up in software later ain't no crime in my books. It can really make them 'pop': :P
Attachments
color cast.jpg

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:39 pm UTC

Bloopy wrote:

Fixing your photos up in software later ain't no crime in my books. It can really make them 'pop': :P

Wow, I never knew the Sun had a blue aura ...nor jpeg artifacts. :o

So how is Cueball going to time the photo? The ISS scrolls past the Sun in half a second.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:15 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:How much you wanna bet there's amateurs all over the place that actually do worry about the balance setting when shooting the sun?

Same ones who try to photograph the planetarium show using flash?

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:02 am UTC

Check out this lunar ISS transit by Arizona expert Tom Polakis:

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/image/95661776

He doesn't say what he did with the white balance. :)

Brian-M

Postby Brian-M » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:54 am UTC

What, no link to the RAW image file? :)

McBee

Postby McBee » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:03 am UTC

Hate to be Captain Obvious, but this seems wrong in both cases...

1. Sun filter = not direct sunlight.
2. Reflected from moon surface = not direct sunlight.

synp

Postby synp » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:19 am UTC

McBee wrote:Hate to be Captain Obvious, but this seems wrong in both cases...

1. Sun filter = not direct sunlight.
2. Reflected from moon surface = not direct sunlight.

1. Sun filter just filters out non-visible light. For visible light it should be ND so it doesn't affect white balance. That said, taking a picture of the sun is not "direct sunlight" because...

2. The "direct sunlight" setting does not mean sunlight falling on the camera. It means that the object is lit by direct sunlight as opposed to reflected sunlight (what you get outside in the shade), incandescent, fluorescent or whatever it is that LEDs output. So the moon is totally a white rock lit by the sun.

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:48 am UTC

Can someone enlighten me as to what exactly is the joke here?

Because the only thing I'm coming up with is that it's funny because he's using the "Direct Sunlight" setting to photograph the sun directly . . . but surely it's not that simplistic right?
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 am UTC

That is exactly the joke. Interpreting the menu item in a different context than it was intended, yet within a still plausibly common use case for the device. Also, his interpretation is more literal than the intended one, which helps, because people reading things literally is inherently funny.

Edit: I guess you're possibly shortchanging the semantics a little - the thing he is taking a picture of is direct sunlight, so he uses Direct Sunlight mode.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:28 pm UTC

synp wrote:So the moon is totally a white rock lit by the sun.

The moon's albedo is 0.136, which Wikipedia describes as "a reflectance just slightly higher than that of worn asphalt."

So, more like a dark gray rock, (very brightly) lit by the sun. :)

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:31 pm UTC

synp wrote:2. The "direct sunlight" setting does not mean sunlight falling on the camera. It means that the object is lit by direct sunlight as opposed to reflected sunlight (what you get outside in the shade), incandescent, fluorescent or whatever it is that LEDs output. So the moon is totally a white rock lit by the sun.

That begs the question of how shade mode is intended to be used.
Is the camera possibly from beret-guy's yard sale? Does this camera have some sort of D&D style Darkvision mode?

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:47 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:

The moon's albedo is 0.136, which Wikipedia describes as "a reflectance just slightly higher than that of worn asphalt."

Worn asphalt is fairly white. Take a look at a section of patched road, the black tar will stand out far better than the white fog lines.

We use black as our survey targets because in generally they have a better contrast than white on older roads.
"We have met the enemy, and we are they. Them? We is it. Whatever."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:02 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
GlassHouses wrote:

Worn asphalt is fairly white. Take a look at a section of patched road, the black tar will stand out far better than the white fog lines.

We use black as our survey targets because in generally they have a better contrast than white on older roads.

Yeah, I seem to remember an earlier version of that Wikipedia article comparing the color of the moon to coal, which was probably closer to the mark, but a bit too dark. Maybe it should quote a Pantone number, or #222222, instead...

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:39 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:Maybe it should quote a Pantone number, or #222222, instead...

Now you've triggered me.

#222222 and the like are "output referred" colors. They don't describe the color in any absolute terms, but rather how much a particular output/display device like a printer or screen should be driven to reproduce them. They're relative to whatever space is being used to describe them in the first place.

Pantone's are just a reference, we're right back to albedos and spectral power distributions when you try and describe astronomical objects that way.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:59 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:
GlassHouses wrote:

Yeah, I seem to remember an earlier version of that Wikipedia article comparing the color of the moon to coal, which was probably closer to the mark, but a bit too dark.
Why would that be closer to the mark? Aged asphalt averages about 0.12, which is also the average over the surface of the moon.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:34 pm UTC

Always thought it was silly that the spaceships in movies back in the good old days were always painted gray, white or silver so they'd show up against the blackness of space. Especially when it was part of an invasion force where painting the ships black would make them harder to see until they were right on top of you.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:56 pm UTC

At space-type distances, it probably doesn't matter too much. And there'll be a huge IR signature that would take rather tricksy methods to hide, regardless of what they do in the visual spectrum.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:46 pm UTC

Also you want higher albedo on your ship so that your folks inside don't get cooked - its cheap thermal radiation management. Same reason the ISS and shuttle and basically every spacecraft out there is white.
"We have met the enemy, and we are they. Them? We is it. Whatever."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

The Snide Sniper

Postby The Snide Sniper » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:51 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:Always thought it was silly that the spaceships in movies back in the good old days were always painted gray, white or silver so they'd show up against the blackness of space. Especially when it was part of an invasion force where painting the ships black would make them harder to see until they were right on top of you.

But if the audience can't see them, they don't exist.
Also known as "RamenChef" on various other fora.
Me on: Drawception | Explain xkcd | NationStates | The Sluggite Zone | Stack Overflow

StClair

Postby StClair » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:24 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:At space-type distances, it probably doesn't matter too much. And there'll be a huge IR signature that would take rather tricksy methods to hide, regardless of what they do in the visual spectrum.

Beat me to it. Spacecraft, especially ones with the kind of performance common in SF, are going to be bright in IR.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:38 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:Always thought it was silly that the spaceships in movies back in the good old days were always painted gray, white or silver so they'd show up against the blackness of space. Especially when it was part of an invasion force where painting the ships black would make them harder to see until they were right on top of you.

What I wondered about was why those old SF spaceships were so beautifully sleek and streamlined. Knew enough about air drag as a kid to question that. Of course, many of those stories involved VTVL on a planet with an atmosphere, so I guess it kinda made sense. In contrast, I don't think a Borg Cube has ever touched down anywhere.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:59 pm UTC

StClair wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:At space-type distances, it probably doesn't matter too much. And there'll be a huge IR signature that would take rather tricksy methods to hide, regardless of what they do in the visual spectrum.

Beat me to it. Spacecraft, especially ones with the kind of performance common in SF, are going to be bright in IR.

Except they have magical technologically advanced radiation shielding so they only have a very faint "energy signature".

Heimhenge wrote:What I wondered about was why those old SF spaceships were so beautifully sleek and streamlined. Knew enough about air drag as a kid to question that. Of course, many of those stories involved VTVL on a planet with an atmosphere, so I guess it kinda made sense. In contrast, I don't think a Borg Cube has ever touched down anywhere.

Until (properly) learning mechanics, I hadn't considered the reasons in favour of having a 'streamlined' design: minimizing stresses when accelerating. And to be fair, when you're moving at warp speeds, empty space may very well behave like a fluid. Or a plasma.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:21 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:

What I wondered about was why those old SF spaceships were so beautifully sleek and streamlined. Knew enough about air drag as a kid to question that. Of course, many of those stories involved VTVL on a planet with an atmosphere, so I guess it kinda made sense. In contrast, I don't think a Borg Cube has ever touched down anywhere.

There's interstellar dust/gas if they're moving fast enough...

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:33 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Heimhenge wrote:

Doesn't seem to bother the Borg Cubes. But back in the SF era we're talking about they didn't have "inertial bubbles" around the craft ... don't think they even used the "warp drive" concept ... they just hit the throttle and booked at some (usually undisclosed) very high speed. Also didn't have the deflection shield used as a major plot device in Passengers. So yeah, maybe that streamlining had a purpose in retrospect, but I'm not sure the SF writers even knew about interstellar dust/gas back then.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:59 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
Heimhenge wrote:

Doesn't seem to bother the Borg Cubes. But back in the SF era we're talking about they didn't have "inertial bubbles" around the craft ... don't think they even used the "warp drive" concept ... they just hit the throttle and booked at some (usually undisclosed) very high speed. Also didn't have the deflection shield used as a major plot device in Passengers. So yeah, maybe that streamlining had a purpose in retrospect, but I'm not sure the SF writers even knew about interstellar dust/gas back then.

Can't answer for the SF writers, but the knowledge of gas clouds in space goes back to the mid nineteenth century, and the idea of using interstellar gas as rocket fuel at least to 1960 when the Bussard Ramjet was proposed...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:21 pm UTC

The Snide Sniper wrote:

But if the audience can't see them, they don't exist.
Or their time is now.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:49 pm UTC

I had a semi-dream last night about the discussion of the moon's albedo and asphalt. I was explaining to someone or someone was explaining to me as I drifted off to sleep: imagine it is a moonless night and you are in the middle of an immense parking lot of old worn asphalt. Everything is black in the darkness, of course. (Suppose the power is out everywhere so there's no city skyglow either, if that's a problem where you live). Then, from somewhere atop a tall building far behind and above you, obscured from your direct vision by a lower but closer building, a very bright, focused spotlight shines a spot onto the asphalt somewhere in front of you; in all the black darkness, only that one circle of asphalt somewhere up ahead is very brightly illuminated. What does that look like? Just a little circle of boring dark asphalt grey in the black? Or a bright almost-white radiance against the darkness surrounding it all around?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”