1855: "Telephoto"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

squall_line

1855: "Telephoto"

Postby squall_line » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:29 pm UTC

Alt-text: "I was banned from the airliners.net photography forum by concerned moderators after the end of my lens started brushing against planes as they flew by."

The webcam wired back to the main body is the best part of the whole diagram. :)

But wouldn't a large piece of PVC pipe work just as well?

ucim

Re: 1855: "Telephoto"

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:33 pm UTC

squall_line wrote:But wouldn't a large piece of PVC pipe work just as well?
Only if you market it as a converter and bundle it with an app that posts the photos to the internet (along with your address book and browser cache).

You could call it the iPipe.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:57 pm UTC

Who else went and checked out the airliners.net forums? I wonder how long it takes for someone to post this comic there.
Last edited by heuristically_alone on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:16 pm UTC

That's an awfully blasé bird.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:31 pm UTC

There's something to be said for a long lens ... at least back in the good ol' days of 35-mm SLR photography.  I was at a Harlem Globetrotters game and carrying two cameras so I wouldn't have to try to switch lenses on the fly and then worry about where to put the unused lens; both 35-mm SLRs, one with a 'standard' 50-mm lens and the other with an old-time 85-200 mm zoom lens that must have been almost a foot long — so long it had its own tripod socket into which I had mounted a collapsible tripod and was using it as a handle to steady the whole shebang.

Well, I was trying to move in a little closer for a shot and someone noticed me.  Seeing my rig, he immediately (but incorrectly) assumed I was with the local newspaper trying to get some shots and actually told the others in his party, "It's the press ... get out of the way and let the guy from the paper through."

What the heck?  Sometimes Fortuna craps on you, and other times she smiles benevolently.  I just figured his erroneous assumption meant it was my turn to catch a break so I didn't correct him; I just thanked him, moved in and got the shots I wanted, and then got the hell out of there before my luck ran out.
Last edited by RAGBRAIvet on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:32 pm UTC

And how the hell would you aim that thing with 2 tripods attached?! Reminded me of some of those early refractors from the 1600s. Like this unwieldy monster:

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:59 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:That's an awfully blasé bird.

Probably like the hedgehog I encountered last night.

Walking up the street, 11pm (couple of hours past nightfall), my eye alighted upon a big brush by a house gatepost (I'd just passed an upturned wheelbarrow1 on the verge, probably left there by builders or maybe a houseowner who left out his larger gardening tools, overnight). Didn't look quite like a brush, but there was a wooden handle and a spiky end that (as you already know) was rounded and seemingly made of natural bristles, a good old pre-nylon/plastic very large brush.

I was intrigued enough to stop, and it was indeed the foreshadowed hedgehog. If it wasn't nibbling at the end of the stick (for some reason), obviously it still wasn't of the kind that has retained the not-proof-against-cars rolling up instinct, and mayhap it had found thst "disguise yourself as an old brush" was a good replacememt tactic.

But it could also have been dead or injured. I had to know. So I watched as it trembled a bit (not dead, unless dead except for being live with turbulent maggots, but I thought not) then reached down tugged the stick a little. No response. So then I touched its nose. Whereupon it quickly moved back slightly, turned and galloped up the respective garden path. Amazing.

Checked the stick (half expecting signs of a slug on the end, hence the juxtaposition) but nothing apparent apart from being a stick. But the hedgehog didn't react until I had actually touched (lightly, ticklishly even) its snout.

And so that bird.

Also possible it had started a nest in the open end of the adapter-tube. Like the pigeons in the horn antenna that later first resolved the Cosmic Background Radiation. Or the robin (or maybe pair) that had started to build a rather hefty nest of moss-stuff at the back of my garage, a month or two back, that had to be dissuaded given the problems it would have when we shut it/them in/out/both that night. Bold amd territorial things, European robins. They don't care about big clod-hopping humans passing by their fencepost, so long as you don't actually suddenly close upon them, distance-wise.

1 Or was it really a very large, very decorative snail? Or a somewhat more improbable hermit crab?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:49 pm UTC

So what would happen to a camera when the end of its lens brushed against a plane in flight?

I'm guessing it's less apocalyptic than hitting it with a relativistic baseball...

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:46 am UTC

I hope this guy doesn't get into astrophotography, I don't want him scratching Saturns rings.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

CharonPDX

Postby CharonPDX » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:54 am UTC

ucim wrote:
squall_line wrote:But wouldn't a large piece of PVC pipe work just as well?
Only if you market it as a converter and bundle it with an app that posts the photos to the internet (along with your address book and browser cache).

You could call it the iPipe.

Jose

I think "PYpE" would be more modernly appropriate.

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:05 am UTC

somitomi wrote:I hope this guy doesn't get into astrophotography, I don't want him scratching Saturns rings.

But it'd be convenient if Uranus gets itchy...
“This world is a strange madhouse. Currently, every coachman and every waiter is debating whether relativity theory is correct. Belief in this matter depends on political party affiliation.”
-- Albert Einstein, 12 September 1920

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:16 pm UTC

I love the airliners.net reference. As an Aerospace Engineer I frequent it nearly daily. More so than these forums (evidenced by my low post count here). An interesting tidbit of information is the media likes to rush to airliners.net during a major air travel incident and cites forum posts as actual facts and theories on what happened. "Aviation enthusiasts of a prominent internet publication have X theory"

It got so bad in some of the more recent tragedies that moderators started warning posters to be wary of the media eye.
(terran/protoss/zerg/fascist fuck)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:26 pm UTC

trpmb6 wrote:I love the airliners.net reference. As an Aerospace Engineer I frequent it nearly daily. More so than these forums (evidenced by my low post count here). An interesting tidbit of information is the media likes to rush to airliners.net during a major air travel incident and cites forum posts as actual facts and theories on what happened. "Aviation enthusiasts of a prominent internet publication have X theory"

* tries to imagine under what circumstances that would happen to us xkcders *
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:14 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:* tries to imagine under what circumstances that would happen to us xkcders *

"...it has been reported that a completely new integer has been discovered by, between 12 and 13, although some paleomathematicians are saying that it is actually a rediscovery of a forgotten one thought to have been originally known to the Babylonians..."

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:55 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:"...it has been reported that a completely new integer has been discovered by, between 12 and 13, although some paleomathematicians are saying that it is actually a rediscovery of a forgotten one thought to have been originally known to the Babylonians..."

Are paleomathematicians akin to ancient astronaut theorists?
(terran/protoss/zerg/fascist fuck)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”