1857: Emoji Movie

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

speising

Re: 1857: Emoji Movie

Postby speising » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:18 pm UTC

My handwriting atrophied so much over the last decades through non use that i even have trouble signing birthday cards correctly...
i think i'll have to start training again.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:34 pm UTC

speising wrote:
orthogon wrote:
herbstschweigen wrote:
svenman wrote:Ümläüt.

:shock: :shock: :shock: you know, when you write something like this, we Germans start to warp our tongues trying to pronounce it?

A few peripherally related observations:

1. I have a colleague who will not accept, despite all evidence to the contrary, that "umlaut" can cromulently refer to the diacritical mark, maintaining that it can only refer to the linguistic phenomenon (the change in pronunciation indicated by the diacritic).

Well, officially, it means the change, the changed sounds, and the letters. (The diacritical mark is a combining diaeresis.)

Ah, that's an interesting third option: however, part of my argument is that we're disputing the meaning of the English word "umlaut", which the OED says can mean the diacritic, as opposed to the German word, which undoubtedly has the meanings set out by The Great Wiki. (We English speakers don't really accept that adding some dots or squiggles turns one letter into another: as far as we're concerned it's still the same letter).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:56 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
speising wrote: Also, "Meine Lieblingsgruppe ist Motörhead." "Dein Lieblingssänger ist Yusuf Islam.".

The gender reassignment was my bad, but I'm 99% sure it was "Lieblingsgruppe," and it definitely predated his changing his name ;-) I suspect that whoever wrote the book didn't realise that Cat Stevens was the guy's name as opposed to the band, or it was written by a native speaker who was laughably out of touch with the kids even at the time, and it was the equivalent of "Who are the Beatles?" and the whole thing translates roughly as "My favourite Popular Beat Combo is Cat Stevens".

My favorite beat combo is right, up, up, square.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:01 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:My favorite beat combo is right, up, up, square.

Mine is up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B. They tell me they'll stop me from 'cheating', but I just taunt them back with "You and whose Konami..?"

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:28 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:

Mine is up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B. They tell me they'll stop me from 'cheating', but I just taunt them back with "You and whose Konami..?"

And then they point out that the canonical version ends "B, A"?

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:04 am UTC

herbstschweigen wrote:
Hiferator wrote:The vertical bar can indicate a long vowel and is also used in old-fashioned handwritings to differentiate a u from an n.

And to designate a double letter in even older handwritings, from the middle ages up to Sütterlin script.

[...]The diacritic may be overloaded on a global or historical level, but in modern German the horizontal bar is just not used anymore.

I still encounter both of my examples on a regular basis in romanisations of non-latin script and on letters from older relatives respectively. There is usually no ambiguity if you take into account the context, but I still prefer a clear separation of these symbols.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:17 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

Doesn't it technically end with "Start"?
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:04 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

Doesn't it technically end with "Start"?

No - though it's often followed by "Start" to either start the game, or exit the pause screen.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:59 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
gson wrote:Speaking of series, I always wanted The Matrix to be followed by such films as The Vector, The Determinant, The Jacobian, and The Gaussian Elimination.

I always thought "The Trace" and "The Determinant" would be apt titles for the sequels.

In which the hero takes on the dreaded Eigenvalue!

I'm guessing The Vector would be a prequel?

Ah, and in order to face the Eiegenvalue, they make a call-back to The Determinant and The Jacobian, making the hero search for the Wronskian, the one thing that can help him oppose the Eigenvalue (by way of taking on its power himself and becoming the prophesied Eigenvector).
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”