1861: "Quantum"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Hiferator

1861: "Quantum"

Postby Hiferator » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:32 pm UTC

Title text: "If you draw a diagonal line from lower left to upper right, that's the ICP 'Miracles' axis."

Ok, first question of the thread: What does ICP stand for? Wikipedia was inconclusive to me. My attempt at process of elimination ended with "International Conference on Paleoceanography", which is something Randall would reference, but doesn't seem to fit the context.

Edit: Ok, googling ICP and Miracles lead me to the song Miracles by Insane Clown Posse, which is about miracles of nature.

Edit 2: Thanks for the suggestions anyway. My mistake was assuming ICP was some sort of scientific institution that would classify events; in this case as miracles.

Now I finally know where the line "Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?" came from.
Last edited by Hiferator on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:54 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.

retrojest

Re: 1861: "Quantum"

Postby retrojest » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:43 pm UTC

Sounds like Insane Clown Posse (who had a song called "Miracles"), but I don't see how that makes any sense in an XKCD context.

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:47 pm UTC

International Conference on Physics?
Or, in a spreadable version straight from the fridge,
I Can't believe it's not Physics?

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:47 pm UTC

Integrated Chemistry & Physics? A school subject.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:55 pm UTC

Wow you guys are bad at Google.

The ICP (Insane Clown Posse) song "Miracles" includes the line, "Fucking magnets, how do they work?"
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:56 pm UTC

retrojest wrote:Sounds like Insane Clown Posse (who had a song called "Miracles"), but I don't see how that makes any sense in an XKCD context.

I'm assuming he's insinuating the phenomena described in that song would all be located on that diagonal.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:01 pm UTC

Speaking as one of the people who immediately knew what ICP was, this is an excellent example of why I hate this habit the Internet has gotten into of shortening every single goddamn proper name to its initials, regardless of who they're in the presence of. Google is useful for a lot of things, but guessing which thing a set of three seemingly random letters stands for with no further context is not one of them. And if I have to resort to Google just to decode your writing in the first place, you are probably not doing a bang-up job of communicating.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:10 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Wow you guys are bad at Google.

Objection! I am pretty sure none of the posters above you have used google to come up with their suggestions.

Steve the Pocket wrote:I hate this habit the Internet has gotten into of shortening every single goddamn proper name to its initials, regardless of who they're in the presence of.

Same. At least use the full name once before switching to initials.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:15 pm UTC

The top (incognito) Google result for ICP is their homepage.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:23 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:The top (incognito) Google result for ICP is their homepage.

For me (also incognito), it's the wikipedia disambiguation page. The images are some dudes in crazy b/w make up, though.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:32 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Speaking as one of the people who immediately knew what ICP was, this is an excellent example of why I hate this habit the Internet has gotten into of shortening every single goddamn proper name to its initials, regardless of who they're in the presence of. Google is useful for a lot of things, but guessing which thing a set of three seemingly random letters stands for with no further context is not one of them. And if I have to resort to Google just to decode your writing in the first place, you are probably not doing a bang-up job of communicating.

So you don't like TLAs [three-letter-acronyms] , huh? Then you really won't like FLTs [four-letter TLA] .

Next you'll tell us you don't know what PEBCAK, BOFH, SCUBA, IANAL, and LASER mean either :twisted:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

DanD

Postby DanD » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:28 pm UTC

As others in the thread, I am at least incidentally aware of Insane Clown Posse, but they are not the first thing that comes to mind when viewing an XKCD comic. (Despite this being the 3rd such reference).

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:30 pm UTC

At least, now i know where the juggle elves come from.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:30 pm UTC

International Center of Photography wrote:Fucking magnets, how do they work?
With a lot more fluids than the regular ones.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Sandor

Postby Sandor » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:58 pm UTC

The ICP (Insane Clown Posse) song "Miracles" includes the line, "Fucking magnets, how do they work?"

So are you saying that the responsibility for avoiding miscommunication lies entirely with the listener?

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:59 pm UTC

ICP = inductively coupled plasma

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:51 pm UTC

One of the 159 hits at www.acronymfinder.com suggests "Integrated Chemistry-Physics", which does sound plausible in context. Mind you, "Intracranial Pressure" is a lot higher up the list.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:24 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Next you'll tell us you don't know what PEBCAK, BOFH, SCUBA, IANAL, and LASER mean either :twisted:

I know meanings for 4 of 5 (which may or may not involve correct expansions).

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:59 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:The top (incognito) Google result for ICP is their homepage.
...but knowing that ICP can stand for Insane Clown Posse, and that it's an American hip-hop duo, doesn't tell you that that's what it refers to in this context, or how it's relevant.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:06 am UTC

And? Sometimes xkcd refers to obscure stuff. Anyone savvy enough to add "miracles" to the search gets the relevant song lyrics right away.
---

(he/him/his)

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:32 am UTC

This one is great!

I, too, didn't get the ICP part (but I'm oblivious about pop culture). Either way, this is a really good comic. I think it's one of the best ones in a while.

DanAxtell

Postby DanAxtell » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:49 am UTC

I found comfort and validation when I saw “Quantum Mechanics” in the Danger Zone. My chemistry classes touched on quantum mechanics and I grasped none of it. I never came close to understanding the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

When I hear someone make an analogy using Heisenberg, I conclude two things:
  1. That person has never taken a course in quantum mechanics. Otherwise, they would know that such an arcane subject cannot provide a helpful analogy in ordinary conversation.
  2. They’re probably conflating the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle with the Hawthorne Effect, the other “H” thing about measuring that dates from the 1920s. The Hawthorne Effect is now more precisely called the Observer Effect, which is sometimes used to help describe the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle—but never vice versa.

I have actually had a non-Pi reason to say, “How I want a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.”

serutan

Postby serutan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:13 am UTC

Ok, first question of the thread: What does ICP stand for? [/quote]

Whether it's right or not, it made me think of this -

For a sentient herbivore, discretion is the only part of valor. - Larry Niven

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:23 am UTC

I am permanently annoyed that Messr.s J and 2Dope are slightly more right about magnets than I'm comfortable with. You see, in a university engineering program, you take electronics and physics classes and wind up thinking about EM fields in terms of the right-hand-rule and Maxwell's equations -- that an E-field is forged of a changing B-field (or a surfeit or deficit of electrons), and a B-field is forged of a changing E-field (see Ampere's law and the reason there's no need for a luminiferous aether). And so, after a time, one's given to stop and ask -- "Wait, just how in the heck do a bunch of electrical dipoles generate a macro-scale B-field just because they're aligned? That doesn't even make sense!"

...It turns out it continues not to make sense until you learn about tensors, strange mathematical beasts of highly compressed information kinda related to Hilbert Space, in either some advanced math course or another (beyond Calc IV and Differential Eq.), or Physics for Actual Physics Majors.

cellocgw wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:Speaking as one of the people who immediately knew what ICP was, this is an excellent example of why I hate this habit the Internet has gotten into of shortening every single goddamn proper name to its initials, regardless of who they're in the presence of. Google is useful for a lot of things, but guessing which thing a set of three seemingly random letters stands for with no further context is not one of them. And if I have to resort to Google just to decode your writing in the first place, you are probably not doing a bang-up job of communicating.

So you don't like TLAs [three-letter-acronyms] , huh? Then you really won't like FLTs [four-letter TLA] .

Next you'll tell us you don't know what PEBCAK, BOFH, SCUBA, IANAL, and LASER mean either :twisted:

HEH, I think you mean ETLAs (Enhanced-TLAs -- keeps the four letters intact)
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

e8e8

Postby e8e8 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:37 am UTC

This is fake wisdom. "Weird ideas about quantum mechanics" originate with physicists.

If you don't believe me: physicists among us, tell us whether an electron has a position before you measure it.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:09 am UTC

I thought it was Extended.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:53 am UTC

DanAxtell wrote:I found comfort and validation when I saw “Quantum Mechanics” in the Danger Zone. My chemistry classes touched on quantum mechanics and I grasped none of it. I never came close to understanding the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

When I hear someone make an analogy using Heisenberg, I conclude two things:
  1. That person has never taken a course in quantum mechanics. Otherwise, they would know that such an arcane subject cannot provide a helpful analogy in ordinary conversation.
  2. They’re probably conflating the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle with the Hawthorne Effect, the other “H” thing about measuring that dates from the 1920s. The Hawthorne Effect is now more precisely called the Observer Effect, which is sometimes used to help describe the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle—but never vice versa.

I have actually had a non-Pi reason to say, “How I want a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics.”

My first class in QM the instructor began with "Forget everything you think you've learned about Newtonian mechanics. The world doesn't really work that way." Lost me on day 1. Barely scraped by with a C+. Never really connected with it.

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:33 pm UTC

Sandor wrote:

So are you saying that the responsibility for avoiding miscommunication lies entirely with the listener?

Personally, I find that figuring out the obscure references in XKCD is usually most of the fun. In this case it took me less than 5 seconds, so less fun than usual.

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:35 pm UTC

serutan wrote:Ok, first question of the thread: What does ICP stand for?

Whether it's right or not, it made me think of this -

Image[/quote]

Ha! We had that comic on the door to the senior physics lab all four years of my undergraduate physics program. It was next to another captioned, "My mistake was going into cosmology for the money."

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:38 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:I am permanently annoyed that Messr.s J and 2Dope are slightly more right about magnets than I'm comfortable with. You see, in a university engineering program, you take electronics and physics classes and wind up thinking about EM fields in terms of the right-hand-rule and Maxwell's equations -- that an E-field is forged of a changing B-field (or a surfeit or deficit of electrons), and a B-field is forged of a changing E-field (see Ampere's law and the reason there's no need for a luminiferous aether). And so, after a time, one's given to stop and ask -- "Wait, just how in the heck do a bunch of electrical dipoles generate a macro-scale B-field just because they're aligned? That doesn't even make sense!"

...It turns out it continues not to make sense until you learn about tensors, strange mathematical beasts of highly compressed information kinda related to Hilbert Space, in either some advanced math course or another (beyond Calc IV and Differential Eq.), or Physics for Actual Physics Majors.

The first thing I thought when I saw the comic was, "It takes *way* more years of mathematics to understand magnets than it does quantum mechanics!".

peterdavidcarter

Postby peterdavidcarter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:16 pm UTC

I don't know about the Intern Clown Posse, but the only appropriate song here is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzQ3eBerHfM

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:23 pm UTC

pscottdv wrote: "My mistake was going into cosmology for the money."

The salaries are astronomical.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:25 pm UTC

DanAxtell wrote:I never came close to understanding the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

You've got to put stuff in a place. You're trying to get it bunched up, and you're trying to get it to lie flat. These two things conflict - you can't do them both perfectly.

The math is literally the same for that problem as for the HUP. Got a normalized curve, and can't minimize its spread and the spread of its first derivative all the way down to zero at the same time.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:33 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Next you'll tell us you don't know what PEBCAK, BOFH, SCUBA, IANAL, and LASER mean either :twisted:

"Photon Emmission via Bunched/Collimated Active Kicking" , "Barrister Only From Handbook", "Submarine Contraption Used By Aquanauts", "Individual Administering Network As Limbo" and "Luser Apparently Spawned Equipment Riddles".

Unless, by some chance, I have those completely flipped!

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:09 pm UTC

Interestingly, laser is kind of the opposite of common bugbears like "PIN number" or "PAT testing" in that if you expand the acronym in context, there's something missing, because the head is the abstract noun amplification, not any kind of device.

Spoiler:
I'm actually perfectly happy with both "PAT testing" and "PIN number" (though to a lesser extent), and will explain why if necessary.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

DanAxtell

Postby DanAxtell » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:11 pm UTC

drachefly wrote:You've got to put stuff in a place. You're trying to get it bunched up, and you're trying to get it to lie flat. These two things conflict - you can't do them both perfectly.

The math is literally the same for that problem as for the HUP.
I certainly believe what you say, but sadly, I simultaneously understand it and don't understand it.

peterdavidcarter

Postby peterdavidcarter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:15 pm UTC

DanAxtell wrote:
drachefly wrote:You've got to put stuff in a place. You're trying to get it bunched up, and you're trying to get it to lie flat. These two things conflict - you can't do them both perfectly.

The math is literally the same for that problem as for the HUP.
I certainly believe what you say, but sadly, I simultaneously understand it and don't understand it.

Great sass commumicates before it is understood.
Last edited by peterdavidcarter on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DanAxtell

Postby DanAxtell » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:38 pm UTC

peterdavidcarter wrote:Great sass is communicated before it is understood.
I had to Google that one. It turns out to be T.S. Eliot who said, "Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood." He also described a cat that is "always on the wrong side of every door," which sounds very quantum mechanicky to me.

kalira

Postby kalira » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:43 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

"Photon Emmission via Bunched/Collimated Active Kicking" , "Barrister Only From Handbook", "Submarine Contraption Used By Aquanauts", "Individual Administering Network As Limbo" and "Luser Apparently Spawned Equipment Riddles".

Unless, by some chance, I have those completely flipped!

Well played sir, well played. *clap*
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

peterdavidcarter

Postby peterdavidcarter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:22 pm UTC

DanAxtell wrote:
peterdavidcarter wrote:Great sass is communicated before it is understood.
I had to Google that one. It turns out to be T.S. Eliot who said, "Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood." He also described a cat that is "always on the wrong side of every door," which sounds very quantum mechanicky to me.

Was the MaCavity, the Mystery Cat, or was that a different one?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”