1863: "Screenshots"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Von_Cheam

Re: 1863: "Screenshots"

Postby Von_Cheam » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 am UTC

Personally, it'd drive me absolutely blooming loopy if I had programs, any programs, saving stuff on my nice empty desktop with merry abandon! That being said, I can totally see the advantages*; always just a Super+D away; don't need to run another program to access; within easy reach of the dustbin; less likely to forget to delete and let 'em accumulate, etc.

*So long as it's possible to change the default location, o'course. "Full Configuration; Sane Defaults", as my great-grandfather used to say..

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:40 am UTC

Eh, it varies with the system. Mac makes a lot of use of the desktop, it's hard to get around. Windows uses it, but it's redundant and easy to ignore once you pin the Recycle Bin to Start and turn off the icons. It's just a wallpaper by default in GNOME (though you can turn on the Windows functionality.) I personally hate the desktop as a file manager window I can't bring to the front and would much prefer to just use a file manager window that, you know, I can, but then I'm also a GNOME user.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:40 pm UTC

ManaUser wrote:I take it your workplace uses Macs or something? PCs have a physical screenshot key standard. (Or at least a physical key which can logically be assigned that purpose and comes configured that way under Windows.)
That was the joke ;) They did just get a default keyboard.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:55 am UTC

Flumble wrote:TIL in Windows 10 you can press Win+PrtSc to save a screenshot to a file and you can use Ctrl+PrtSc when the snipping tool is open to make a rectangular selection of the screen, both without affecting the clipboard with the snipping tool set to "copy snips to clipboard" by default.

Just hitting PrtSc sticks it in my OneDrive-enabled Pictures folder. I don't know what it would do if I hadn't set up OneDrive, but I assumed it would stick it in the regular Pictures folder. (I made the mistake of inputting my Microsoft account stuff during setup, instead of waiting until after, and now everything defaults to the OneDrive locations. I don't feel like starting over a second time.)
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:10 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Just hitting PrtSc sticks it in my OneDrive-enabled Pictures folder. I don't know what it would do if I hadn't set up OneDrive, but I assumed it would stick it in the regular Pictures folder. (I made the mistake of inputting my Microsoft account stuff during setup, instead of waiting until after, and now everything defaults to the OneDrive locations. I don't feel like starting over a second time.)

It's a onedrive feature, just like the dropbox feature discussed before. Without it, PrtSc merely puts it in the clipboard as it should (and you can't access the onedrive dialog for saving screenshots when you're not signed in).

By the way, you can still save your soul by unlinking your microsoft account. :roll:

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:08 am UTC

What's my punishment for having my Microsoft account linked in GNOME / Ubuntu Linux?
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:05 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:What's my punishment for having my Microsoft account linked in GNOME / Ubuntu Linux?
Linux Clippy.

"I see you are trying to boot up. Would you like help recompiling the operating system? Of course you would!"

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:59 pm UTC

this is the worst fate

she / her / her

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”