1872: "Backup Batteries"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

somitomi

1872: "Backup Batteries"

Postby somitomi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:21 pm UTC

Title text: If it falls below 20% full, my bag turns red and I start to panic.

I wonder what will replace jerrycans on the back of off-road vehicles once electric cars become the norm...
—◯-◯

Keyman

Re: 1872: "Backup Batteries"

Postby Keyman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:30 pm UTC

Use my invention, and you'll never have to worry about batteries for your phone ever again!!
Spoiler:
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:34 pm UTC

I regularly carry at least two battery packs with me, out of a stock of several different ones (flatter ones for trouser-thigh pockets, blockier ones in backpacks) and keep meaning to get a solar-cell topper-upperer device (I have one for AA/AAA batteries1, that takes USB as a indoors/desktop power input, but that only helps with my camera) as either the secondary or a teritary device. (There are also solar-backpacks, but then I'd be tied down to that item of luggage.)

My big problem is losing the USB to mini-USB cables, or damaging them so that they need mechanical pressure to maintain connection. (One tablet will happily charge with screen off, but if it's below 15% and the connection is interupted by jiggling a non-ideal cable it'll light up to tell me so. Whether deep in a pack (auto-brightness keeps the backlight dim, but still on) or not. Then it'll shine out, uselessly, expending energy until the connection comes back, switch to lit screen saying Charging, but likely to not go back to unlit before it jiggles loose again, likely depleting the tablet battery more and certainly depleting the sum of tablet+powerpack more than I had planned. I really need a custom "hard connection", specifically made to hold device and pack together with a sturdy 'staple'-like double-bracket of power connection, to be used in conjunction with other straps/grips, to make thr whole thing less susceptible to jiggling.

somitomi wrote:I wonder what will replace jerrycans on the back of off-road vehicles once electric cars become the norm...
I'm currently looking at a hybrid petrol/electric car, and my decision (when I eventually need it) will be flavoured according to a) What permanent solar panels I can mount on my garage roof1 for continuous trickle-charge and, b) If I can get a decent "briefcase solar panel" that does for car-charging of an idle vehicle what extant devices do for powering caravan/mobile home entertainment systems.

What would be interesting is a thin-film flexible photovoltaic sheet that can be unrolled and stretched, tent-canvas like, over/alongside your vehicle, in the wilderness, to capture power (even on overcast skies, maybe even raining, just not as efficiently) but the tech for that isn't quite ready. I imagine built-in (hard) panels in the vehicle roof, beneath scratch-proof/replaceable plastic, would be the initial selling point of the "if you can wait, just wait" topping up process.

1 Missed the boat with good deals on a decent house-roof solar, trading power back to the grid. And I'd rather just wait for good Household Battery technology and not bother with the reverse-tariff fuss. Especially as my roof isn't south-facing.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:36 pm UTC

I don't carry a spare battery, but I do carry a plug-in charger and cord.  If you use the charger designed for it, modern smartphones only take about a half-hour to come up to full charge anyway.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:11 pm UTC

Dr. Sheldon Cooper also does this.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:24 pm UTC

I have one of those "emergency radios" that you hand-crank to run a generator.
In theory you can crank it while connecting your phone to the USB port to charge the phone. It's a lot of work
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:02 pm UTC

So his backpack gets lighter when the backup batteries are almost empty, right?
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Evadman

Postby Evadman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:05 pm UTC

I use a bike to carry around my 245,000 mah usb backup battery. Also, it powers my bike.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:18 pm UTC

I bought another one and now keep two power banks in my main backpack, along with a plug-in charging cable.

And then I went to an outdoor art festival one recent Saturday with a different backpack and ran into trouble when my phone started running low. No power banks on me, but I spotted a couple of park benches with solar panels set up so you can charge --- providing you have a cable. Which I did not have with me. :(

Now I've spent the last few weeks trying to make sure I plan ahead properly without getting quite as obsessive as this comic. Thanks to my last 3 phones and 2 MP3 players all using the same cables, I have a plenty of backup USB cables on hand. A couple of them don't charge as well as the one my phone came with, but in a pinch they'll do. The cable for my first power bank is utter crap, though (lousy freebie promo). For now, if I don't have my power banks, I'm still likely to have my knitting with me and a good-sized knitting bag has room for a plug-in cable.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:06 pm UTC

Sometimes my phone battery runs out, but I don't notice because I left it at home.

Locoluis

Postby Locoluis » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:43 pm UTC

3-2-1 battery backup strategy.

• At least 3 backup batteries.
  • Carry two batteries with you at all times. Preferably of different kinds - e.g., an actual battery plus a power bank, hand dynamo charger or solar charger.
  • And at least 1 spare battery at home/office, which you can use in your phone while you charge the other ones.
Sueños del Sur - A webcomic about four siblings, their family, friends, adventures and dreams.
http://sds.lgm.cl/

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:29 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:I have one of those "emergency radios" that you hand-crank to run a generator.
In theory you can crank it while connecting your phone to the USB port to charge the phone. It's a lot of work

They should design crank chargers so you can hold the end of the crank and spin the whole thing around like a noisemaker. Should be way faster that way. A bit more tiring, but probably less body energy wasted per watt.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:04 am UTC

Sucks to be an Apple user.  Can't easily replace batteries in an iPhone — or in the newer Samsung devices, either.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:37 am UTC

And they'll still all fail, in true Murphy's Law style.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:06 am UTC

I should get a charger that charges from my walking. I go through a pair of sneakers in about two months.I just got a new pair today, I'll repost when the heels wear out.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:16 am UTC

Keyman wrote:Use my invention, and you'll never have to worry about batteries for your phone ever again!!
Spoiler:

I used your invention and then started worrying about running out of string.
Whenever visually representing the universe, it's important to include a picture of Saturn!
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:24 am UTC

Seems to me that cycle of endlessly needing backup batteries to your backup batteries ends when the time between charges is less than the discharge rate of n batteries.

So, was that the joke: 3 batteries? That's how many he'll need?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:43 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
somitomi wrote:I wonder what will replace jerrycans on the back of off-road vehicles once electric cars become the norm...
I'm currently looking at a hybrid petrol/electric car, and my decision (when I eventually need it) will be flavoured according to a) What permanent solar panels I can mount on my garage roof1 for continuous trickle-charge and, b) If I can get a decent "briefcase solar panel" that does for car-charging of an idle vehicle what extant devices do for powering caravan/mobile home entertainment systems.

What would be interesting is a thin-film flexible photovoltaic sheet that can be unrolled and stretched, tent-canvas like, over/alongside your vehicle, in the wilderness, to capture power (even on overcast skies, maybe even raining, just not as efficiently) but the tech for that isn't quite ready. I imagine built-in (hard) panels in the vehicle roof, beneath scratch-proof/replaceable plastic, would be the initial selling point of the "if you can wait, just wait" topping up process.

Hmmm. That just makes me imagine after-market products like summertime car shades for your windshield bearing photovoltaics and a cord to plug into an interior charging port. Less coverage than an external solution, but no need to be remotely as tough. I'd suppose one could get a decent few dozen extra miles of charge whilst their car sits in an office parking lot o'er the course of a work day.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

pernishus

Postby pernishus » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:52 am UTC

Wasn't there another xkcd comic that discussed worrying about his mobile device dying? Might have been a graph or something, I can't remember. Can anyone help me out on this, it's driving me a little nuts.

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:38 pm UTC

Are you thinking of this one?

https://xkcd.com/1373/

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:16 pm UTC

Just upgraded to the new Samsung S8 from a S6. Battery life was a small decision factor in upgrading from the S6 to S8 (S6 was the first samsung you couldn't change the battery in without voiding warranties etc.) Mainly upgraded because I like having the latest tech.

I've since been quite disappointed in the S8's battery life capability. While I don't have to recharge during the day at some point (as I did with my S6 after 2 years of use), I do require a charge when I go to bed. Usually hitting the 35-40% at that point. I should probably keep it plugged in as much as possible considering how lithium ion batteries work, but that's just not really convenient.

I'm also struck by another observation. I pretty much get a new phone every 2 years. I've noticed that every new phone has worse and worse battery performance on a single charge. Even though battery tech is improving over time, the power consumption of newer and newer devices is increasing at a faster rate. Randall should draw a chart of this to show when we'll reach the point where power consumption by a mobile device necessarily causes it to become a wired device.

tl;dr: Mobile phones will become landlines if battery tech can't keep up.
(terran/protoss/zerg/fascist fuck)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:21 pm UTC

I like that idea. Anyone could make that chart, just need some projected numbers to graph.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:51 pm UTC

trpmb6 wrote:tl;dr: smartphones will become desktops if battery tech can't keep up.

FTFY

If only because it means we're well and properly on our way to this:

Why not the TNG-era laptop-style desktops? BECAUSE! that's why.

Not shown, communicators have to be replaced after every mission because the battery dies and bricks the device.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

pernishus

Postby pernishus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:53 pm UTC

sfmans wrote:Are you thinking of this one?

I don't think so. I feel like it was something about not being able to do stuff outside because of being stressed about his phone dying. Or maybe he was worrying about losing a wifi connection, or maybe I'm just crazy, haha!

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:43 pm UTC

pernishus wrote:

I don't think so. I feel like it was something about not being able to do stuff outside because of being stressed about his phone dying. Or maybe he was worrying about losing a wifi connection, or maybe I'm just crazy, haha!

1802?

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:41 pm UTC

I wonder if solar cells the size of the back of a cell phone would be enough to maintain, or even give a slight trickle charge to a phone in an office setting with standard fluorescent lighting. Any sparky's out there know some ballpark numbers?

Let's also assume you're listening to one of the various streaming music apps.
(terran/protoss/zerg/fascist fuck)

pernishus

Postby pernishus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:19 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:
pernishus wrote:

1802?

Yep, that's it. Thanks!

All_¥our_Bass

Postby All_¥our_Bass » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:46 am UTC

"It's backup batteries all the way down."
:lol:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”